Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

TatianaS

Apr 4, 2013, 11:25 AM

Post #1 of 15 (4534 views)

Shortcut

Possible move to Morelia any info?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi all,

Looking for info & suggestions on fam of 6 considering moving to Morelia (considering other places too) from N.O.B. for no less than 2 years probably longer.
Children ages 3, 5, 8 & 13.

Thank you in advance
Tatiana

rockydog85251

Apr 4, 2013, 12:42 PM

Post #2 of 15 (4509 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TatianaS] Possible move to Morelia any info?

What sort of things are you looking for/expecting for you family? If English is a consideration, you might want to consider a more tourist oriented place such as Mazatlan where there is a large English speaking population, ex-pats & locals. Lots of cultural things to do, good private schools, good restaurants & lots of things to do. Good luck.
Willie

TatianaS

Apr 4, 2013, 2:18 PM

Post #3 of 15 (4499 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Possible move to Morelia any info?

Thank you rockydog. guess i should have put a few more details up. :-)
we were originally considering Matzatlan/Manzanillo area, but we decided we definetly wanted to be in a more "authentic" part of Mexico so we would have a better chance at learning and speaking in Spanish (just going off of the notion that if we are a place with more expat population, we wouldnt learn the language or be as immersed in the culture there. Maybe im wrong there though?) We are social so the idea of expat community does appeal though..
We are also considering area where we could get away with not bringing a car, so somewhere we could live and walk to get around would be nice, until we maybe buy a car there. Climate is a big consideration as well.

appreciate any input or experiences.

TatianaSawyer@facebook

rockydog85251

Apr 4, 2013, 6:00 PM

Post #4 of 15 (4466 views)

Shortcut

We lived the past 2.5 yr in Comala, Colima and believe me - you cannot beat that climate, year 'round!!! Just a beautiful part of the country, temperate weather, clean and safe - at least while we were there. It is a Pueblo Magico as well and you would have plenty of opportunity to learn/practice your Spanish there....plus it is only 6 km from the state capitol, with all it's attendant amenities, universities and cultural events. Another lovely thing for us, was to be able to experience another part of the country where people are very polite in all ways. It was a real change from the driving experiences in other parts of the country. I'm thinking that unless you are in a real small town and can walk to everything, you are going to want to use public transportation and that is possible in most tourist destinations or larger towns where there will be excellent routes and timetables. You can also choose to live in a colonia further from the tourist areas and be assured of getting a real chance to fit into the culture of Mexico.
I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites spots as well.
You might want to post on other regional forums here to see what you can learn.
Willie

bournemouth

Apr 4, 2013, 6:17 PM

Post #5 of 15 (4461 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Possible move to Morelia any info?

The OP may first need to look at the new immigration requirements to make sure they can do what they want to do. Rolly's website would be a good place to start:

http://rollybrook.com/Page%20Directory.htm

rockydog85251

Apr 4, 2013, 6:49 PM

Post #6 of 15 (4455 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Possible move to Morelia any info?

Good point!!! I'm hoping they have done their appropriate "homework" and can follow their dreams.
Willie

tashby

Apr 4, 2013, 7:02 PM

Post #7 of 15 (4453 views)

Shortcut

I could easily live happily in Morelia. In fact, when we moved to Mexico five years ago, I thought that's exactly where we'd end up. But my partner - who had never been there before - didn't fall in love with it the way I had previously, so we landed elsewhere. That's another story....

Morelia has a fine climate, and is a beautiful city with extraordinary history, gorgeous architecture, and tons of cultural events, etc. It's also the state captial, and has several universities, with all that brings. It's lively. And it is a true city. It's possible to live without a car there, for sure. (But after a while, you would probably want one.) Not far outside the city are truly beautiful natural areas and interesting small towns. If the beach is interesting to you, the drive to the coast takes about 5 hours, more or less.

Other than that, you don't offer a lot of information, so it's difficult for anybody to give you advice. Have you ever been to Morelia before? Have you spent much time in central Mexico in other cities? How much time have you spent in Mexico in other locations? Desiring to learn the language and submerse yourself in the culture, etc., are great goals, but are often easier said than done. Having kids is an advantage since they'll likely be attending schools, and that will open up a floodgate of possible relationships with locals.

Good luck with your decision!

(This post was edited by tashby on Apr 4, 2013, 7:04 PM)

TatianaS

Apr 4, 2013, 8:48 PM

Post #8 of 15 (4437 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Possible move to Morelia any info?

yes..read and reread all info on immigration & possible visa situations.
Rolly's site is my favorite! seems like a great person & has put so much time & effort into his site. a joy to read.

Has been a goal for a long time so now we are just sort of jumping in, we have traveled many places in the U.S. (husband has traveled overseas a few times) but we are ready to branch out, (& are pretty adventurous) and explore the possibilities of Mexico. have done alot of info mining on some places but its always nice to have lots of extra input from anyone experienced. have read and heard some personal stories that were negative and alot that were positive as well. we definetly arent looking at buying anything, just renting. we are pretty relaxed and open minded. but we do like to get out and experience & appreciate all the culture has to offer, besides the mordida & the scorpians ;-) we like making friends and our kids are very social. Right now our home state is Arkansas, but we arent there much. we travel with husbands work.

have not been to central mexico only baja years ago and that seems like a totally different world so i dont know if thats relevant.

thanks for the input everyone! everything helps.
Tatiana

Tashby, love that baby in your pic.

(This post was edited by TatianaS on Apr 4, 2013, 9:01 PM)

Anonimo

Apr 5, 2013, 3:46 AM

Post #9 of 15 (4407 views)

Shortcut

You should visit Morelia for at least a month, preferably 6 months, before deciding to live there. It has many fine cultural assets, but on the other hand, it also has some air pollution, traffic congestion, and many protest demonstrations which temporarily paralyze great areas of the city (although not typically dangerous.) The temperatures are considerably higher than nearby Pátzcuaro, (the latter nearly 1000 feet higher), which may be an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on your personal comfort levels.

We go to Morelia on a frequent basis for medical appointments, better restaurants and serious shopping, and at the end of the day we are exhausted, and all too glad to be getting out of the city and returning to our home in the countryside near Pátzcuaro.

Saludos,
Anonimo

La Isla

Apr 5, 2013, 10:33 AM

Post #10 of 15 (4368 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Possible move to Morelia any info?

I agree with Anonimo that before moving your family of 6 to Morelia, or anywhere else in Mexico, you should come for an extended visit to see if this city fits your needs. And since 3 of your children are of school age, you'll need to check out private schools for them to attend. I doubt you would want to put them into the public school system.

TatianaS

Apr 6, 2013, 8:47 AM

Post #11 of 15 (4300 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Possible move to Morelia any info?

Thank you Anonimo & La Isla for your input, definetly things to consider!

We of course looked into schooling. However since we travel throughout the states with husbands work, we homeschool with an internet program. We plan to continue that & seek out maybe a Spanish tutor or Spanish language school for our kids. We do plan to visit a few places for a bit to see where we would be a good fit. We like the idea of being in a busier enviroment, but we also are drawn to the water ( though not a requirement.) I definetly see us spending no less than 2 years there because of the culture immersion we are seeking. We are torn between beach living & city living. The hard part is trying to decide where to start with all the beautiful places to consider. My stipulation is no really cold weather and more sun.

Also someone asked if we were missionary people. (maybe because we have a "large" family & homeschool?) The answer is No.

Well hope everyone has a great day. Gotta go man the yardsale :-)

Tatiana

TigerTonio

Apr 6, 2013, 9:39 AM

Post #12 of 15 (4290 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

Also someone asked if we were missionary people. (maybe because we have a "large" family & homeschool?) The answer is No.

LOL! I couldn't help but have a good chuckle with that one.

I'm going to echo the responses of some of the others. Come down and check it out first. Morelia isn't for everyone. That said, the same can be said for any other place. It's all subjective and a matter of taste.

Personally speaking, my partner and I have owned a home in Morelia for six years with no plans to ever sell it. In fact, we're adding on to it. We've made the best of friends in Morelia, and have made wonderful memories there to last a lifetime.

However, I should state that we spend most of our time in Mexico City these days due to work. And we love it here in The Big City, too.

I wish you all the best and please keep us posted with your plans. =D

TatianaS

Apr 11, 2013, 8:55 AM

Post #13 of 15 (4108 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TigerTonio] Possible move to Morelia any info?

Yeah I got a giggle from it too. :-)
Thank you for the reply TigerTonio.

dmhaun

May 19, 2013, 8:53 PM

Post #14 of 15 (3492 views)

Shortcut

Most of us are following in previous footsteps, gathering information and deciding where to move or visit. Making that decision is the fun part, isn't it?  
Like you, we have checked/out and traveled around Mexico, but for me, Michoacan is perfect. There are small, but active, expat communities, except not the enclaves of San Miguel or Chapala. We are mixing-well with the local communities.
You might consider staying awhile in the Lake Patzcuaro and Morelia area. It is a safe, magical part of Mexico. We are in the same mountain range as San Miguel de Allende, but a few hundred miles south and about 1,000 feet higher. 
Lake Patzcuaro seems to be in the middle of everything: Mexico City is about 200 miles to the east; Guadalajara is about 200 miles to the west; the ocean beaches are about 200 miles to the south; and San Miguel is about 200 miles to the north. If that’s not enough, the Avocado and Macadamia Capital of the World is less than an hour away in Uruapan.  Don't miss their La Lucha coffee. 
I am a driver and the Texas border is about 750 miles north, with 4-lane cuotas (highways) all the way.
Driving is fun, busing is easy and flying is fast.
The capital, Morelia, is about 30 miles from the Lake and has an International airport, Costco, Sears, Office Depot, Auto Zone, Starbucks and excellent medical facilities. Morelia is a cultural capital of Mexico, with museums, Festivals and superb places to dine. The music-scene is thriving in our cafes and nightclubs.
Don’t miss the Candy Museum and afterwards, visit the Candy Market. Our Film Festival is unsurpassed and the Guitar Festival is currently in full swing. The Salsa Dance Festival and the Jazz Festival are being planned, and the Gourmet Festival is around the corner. There is always something to do.
Lake Patzcuaro, at 7,200 feet, has the ideal climate, with winter high temperatures in the 70’s and summer highs in the 80’s. Spring is delightful and the Easter Craft Festival in Uruapan is superb. Lake Patzcurao is a crafts capital of Mexico.
If I might digress: In the mid-1500’s, communities around the Lake were established as co-operatives and each designated a different craft. Today, the villages remained specialized, offering handcrafted masks, baskets, copper-work, furniture, woodwork, carving, embroidered clothing and much more.
Michoacan really is perfect. Summer brings short, afternoon rains, turning everything fresh and green. In the Fall, everything green, turns into vistas of colorful, blooming flowers. The Monarch butterflies arrive each Fall. Experience celebrating one of the best Day of the Dead in Mexico.
Winter brings perfectly clear, sunny days, needing a hat and short sleeves. Evenings are crisp and winter nights require snuggling with a blanket, or someone warm. Winter temps seldom drop below freezing.
Leave your snow shovel at home, but bring your hat, your camera and your appetite for food and fun. You might like it around Michoacan.
Feliz viaje, David
P.S. If you have questions, the non-profit forum for that area is:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Michoacan_net/

Oscar2

May 23, 2013, 9:21 AM

Post #15 of 15 (3379 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dmhaun] Possible move to Morelia any info?

David enjoyed your take on Morelia. More so because having also traveled through a large number of cities in Mexico, Morelia’s big little city atmosphere made for easy transportation without a car. For 25 cents, the myriad of small taxis/cambia’s are all over the place and getting there is easy. Loved living in the heart of this busy big little city. Restaurants, shopping, theaters, festivals, dancing and entertainment surrounds you for the asking. When I dream/think of Mexico, Morelia living is a frequent visitor yesterday, today and guessing always will be for reasons needed in my life.

Would definitely rent there again for at least a year. Improved my Salsa dancing which enhanced the joy of the hot Salsa clubs in the city and yes, met some interesting people there such as a good looking, energetic professor from one of a number of university’s and of which I still communicate with her till this day. Personally, for me the combined ingredients which suit my taste were there. As some say, it’s a matter of preference and sense socializing with friendly people is enjoyed the atmosphere seeked is usually curved by those who seek and enjoy same.

I found in just traveling from point A to B in the city on one of those Cambia’s for a quarter, the semi crowded space we all sit in, occasionally would strike up a conversation with a local who surprisingly was very proud of their city and enthusiasm would just gush out of them, giving you information, leads of what is happening and meaningful to them. These small sharing moments can enhance your expectations of where to go and what to see that perhaps you never even thought of. If you speak the language enough to be understood and similarly understand them, their world, their places to eat, their places to find things you’ve perhaps thought of but thought to complicated or simple, can come alive to make your day.

Not to say that all is sunshine and roses but pending where that thing between your ears is going, my 40 some odd years or more of traveling Mexico for the most part have been good ones and Morelia for me and in my house shines.

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on May 23, 2013, 9:57 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4