Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

MexDog

Apr 2, 2013, 3:14 PM

Post #51 of 76 (2200 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Mexconnect upgrade - opinions sought!

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hola David,
I have mentioned a couple of times in my emails that a tab for camping in Mexico would be very helpful. You have tabs for accommodations and driving routes, but no camping forum. There are so many Canadians and Americans who chose to come down with their RV's and really want to know distances, points of interests and safe places to pull in at night. A tab for discussion would make it possible for those who have been traveling back and forth for years to tutor those of us who are newbies. This is a growing population of folks and other than Church's website, there are not many places to get good, honest help.
Thanks in advance,
Holly

playaboy

Apr 2, 2013, 3:19 PM

Post #52 of 76 (2193 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Mexconnect upgrade - opinions sought!

I would like to see a cleaned up members directory. It is huge with a lot of users that never logged in or have not logged in in years.

Sculptari

Apr 2, 2013, 5:03 PM

Post #53 of 76 (2179 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Mexconnect upgrade - opinions sought!

Can't Post |
Well with Google's announcement of the "nose" app yesterday, April 1st, it would seem possible for Mexconnect to dispense hot buttered popcorn, at least of the digital variety (very slimming I hear)!
no longer active on Mexconnect

jackak10

Apr 10, 2013, 12:24 PM

Post #54 of 76 (2070 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sculptari] Mexconnect upgrade - opinions sought!

Can't Post |
Is there a way to post to a thread without having to refer to a previous post? Like I'm doing right now. Maybe I just missed it.

La Isla

Apr 10, 2013, 12:47 PM

Post #55 of 76 (2063 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jackak10] Mexconnect upgrade - opinions sought!

In Reply To
Is there a way to post to a thread without having to refer to a previous post? Like I'm doing right now. Maybe I just missed it.

If there isnīt, such a feature would be most welcome.

Rolly

Apr 10, 2013, 1:16 PM

Post #56 of 76 (2058 views)

Shortcut

Re:Mexconnect upgrade - opinions sought!

It's easy. Just delete the previous poster's name as I have done for this post.

Rolly Pirate

La Isla

Apr 10, 2013, 1:43 PM

Post #57 of 76 (2049 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Re:Mexconnect upgrade - opinions sought!

Thanks for the tip, Rolly. Why didn't I think of that?

johanson

Apr 10, 2013, 4:00 PM

Post #58 of 76 (2036 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Re:Mexconnect upgrade - opinions sought!

So easy to do, La Isla, yet I forgot how to do it as well. :) [But I won't admit it, if anyone asks :) ]

Yes I know this is not a PM

jackak10

Apr 11, 2013, 2:38 PM

Post #59 of 76 (1998 views)

Shortcut

Re:Mexconnect upgrade - opinions sought!

Can't Post |
I've noticed from time to time as I look at "new posts" -- for some reason I scroll back up a little at posts I've already read and I find that a post that was only a few lines long 30 minutes ago is now many paragraphs. Sure enough, down at the bottom of the post is "edited by...."

I don't know how you could possible handle this, but it's hard to follow the jist of a thread reading only the latest posts when the posts above it have changed, maybe changed so much the meaning is now different.

DavidMcL

Apr 11, 2013, 7:02 PM

Post #60 of 76 (1985 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jackak10] Re:Mexconnect upgrade - opinions sought!

The poster of each posting has only 60 minutes to edit the post before it is locked.
David McL
WebJefe

YucaLandia

Apr 11, 2013, 8:49 PM

Post #61 of 76 (1977 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Re: Each posting has only 60 minutes to edit the post before it is locked.

There are many good features on Mexconnect.

The 60 minute window is a very useful feature, that allows the author to add references, correct typos, and fix clumsily worded items. Many of us do not write perfect first drafts. The quality of the information on Mexconnect is improved by having a editing window of reasonable time.

The search engine for Forums only works well if one enters the poster's screen name, and has a snippet of the original text to enter in the search field. If the site's search engine cannot be improved, is there a way to allow Google to store the Mexconnect forum posts? Other forum websites' content can be Google searched by entering the website name, followed by the topic or key word of interest: e.g. Google "Mexconnect INM rules for Residente Permanente"

Overall Mexconnect works well.

Keep up the good work.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

bronco

Apr 11, 2013, 9:37 PM

Post #62 of 76 (1968 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Re: Each posting has only 60 minutes to edit the post before it is locked.

yes an hour is reasonable time. (there is another board which has no time limit. in fairness to the other readers, i only exceed that time for grammer, spelling, some re-wording for clarity).

jackak10

Apr 12, 2013, 7:37 AM

Post #63 of 76 (1946 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Re: Thumbs-down Feature to Censure some posters

Can't Post |
I thought the thumbs up/down feature was only for registering approval or disapproval without making another post, not for deleting posts. This was covered way way up in this thread.

jackak10

Apr 12, 2013, 4:34 PM

Post #64 of 76 (1881 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bronco] Re: Thumbs-down Feature to Censure some posters

Can't Post |

In Reply To
steve, dont project "what kind of content" will provoke a thumbs down. there are as many folks who glorify mexico (they found god), as folks who tear it down. maybe there should only be only a thumbs up? if someone wants to recommend a comment, thats more of a positive approach. again some thumbs down comments can be thought provoking, & well worth the read. why would tony say, "some content will never be seen again"? steve have you misinterpreted this? has tony explained this? maybe he should.

I believe he said, "I like the idea of some content getting a few thumbs down and never being seen again...!" not "some content will never be seen again". There's a difference. He is merely saying he likes an idea. I like lots of ideas, but I'll never do them.

jackak10

Apr 13, 2013, 6:48 AM

Post #65 of 76 (1852 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |

In Reply To
why would some content NEVER be seen AGAIN? tony should clarify. both his sentence & yours mean the same.

Here's my post:

"I believe he said, "I like the idea of some content getting a few thumbs down and never being seen again...!" not "some content will never be seen again". There's a difference. He is merely saying he likes an idea. I like lots of ideas, but I'll never do them. "

OK, here's why they don't mean the same:

He says, "I like the idea". He does NOT say, "XX number of thumbs down means automatic deletion". I say "I like the idea". That means I, or you, or anyone will not have to register disapproval with a post with some long rambling post going on and on about why the original poster is wrong. Seems like a thread with those kind of responses would get deleted before a thread with XX number of thumbs down would.

Just my thinking, you can ramble on about it, or you could just thumbs down.

bronco

Apr 13, 2013, 9:34 AM

Post #66 of 76 (1839 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jackak10] Re: Thumbs-down Feature to Censure some posters

"liking" the idea means he MAY consider it. tony should tell us what is going on in his mind.

tonyburton / Moderator

Apr 13, 2013, 4:04 PM

Post #67 of 76 (1818 views)

Shortcut

I am thinking that very few of the recent posters on this thread apparently share my sense of humo(u)r.
There is content on MexConnect, including on this thread, that needs to be, and shortly will be, permanently deleted.
Such deletions will continue to be at the discretion of moderators, not at the whim of the readers.

Update: several posts in this thread have now been deleted; apologies if I accidentally chopped anything that you felt was an essential comment on possible improvements to MexConnect!

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Apr 14, 2013, 1:15 AM)

bronco

Apr 13, 2013, 5:29 PM

Post #68 of 76 (1807 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Re: Thumbs-down Feature to Censure some posters

excellent & thankyou. (most if us did not get the joke, we must be a very serious group).

Ric Hoffman

Apr 17, 2013, 7:38 PM

Post #69 of 76 (1717 views)

Shortcut

Change the subject (just an example)

OK, who just posted what? I am still using Netscape!

(This post was edited by Ric Hoffman on Apr 17, 2013, 7:41 PM)

bronco

Apr 21, 2013, 7:45 PM

Post #70 of 76 (1644 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bronco] Re: Each posting has only 60 minutes to edit the post before it is locked.

mexconnect rule is that we have ONE HOUR to edit the posts. i see it is posted that there is a 240 minute window of time to edit and also delete. (under the forum, have a look). is this new? or a misprint. 240 mintutes is 4 hours! please clarify. (four hours is reasonable to delete).

DavidMcL

Apr 21, 2013, 11:34 PM

Post #71 of 76 (1624 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bronco] Re: Each posting has only 60 minutes to edit the post before it is locked.

You are correct. I was wrong about the 60 minutes. 240 it is.

David
David McL
WebJefe

at7mbe

Apr 22, 2013, 2:23 PM

Post #72 of 76 (1592 views)

Shortcut

Suggestion: A copy URL button

Sometimes I want to send a link to a thread to someone who is not a member of MexConnect. If I copy the link from my browser's URL line, I get a mess like this (for this thread for example):

http://www.mexconnect.com/cgi-bin/forums/gforum.cgi?post=188231;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

I know enough to edit that down to

http://www.mexconnect.com/cgi-bin/forums/gforum.cgi?post=188231

before sending, but others may not. So a Copy URL or perhaps a Send Thread button that linked to an e-mail program would make it easier to share threads with others who don't regularly stop by here.

-- Mark

jackak10

Apr 22, 2013, 2:43 PM

Post #73 of 76 (1585 views)

Shortcut

Re: [at7mbe] Suggestion: A copy URL button

Can't Post |

In Reply To
Sometimes I want to send a link to a thread to someone who is not a member of MexConnect. If I copy the link from my browser's URL line, I get a mess like this (for this thread for example):

http://www.mexconnect.com/cgi-bin/forums/gforum.cgi?post=188231;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

I know enough to edit that down to

http://www.mexconnect.com/cgi-bin/forums/gforum.cgi?post=188231

before sending, but others may not. So a Copy URL or perhaps a Send Thread button that linked to an e-mail program would make it easier to share threads with others who don't regularly stop by here.

-- Mark

Using the "shortcut" link under your picture gets you there.

Anonimo

Apr 22, 2013, 2:55 PM

Post #74 of 76 (1580 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jackak10] Suggestion: A copy URL button

Great tip, jakak10. I'd wondered what that shortcut link was for.

Or, alternatively, one can use a service like TinyUrl.org

Saludos,
Anonimo

at7mbe

Apr 22, 2013, 3:36 PM

Post #75 of 76 (1568 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Suggestion: A copy URL button

OK, I missed the shortcut link too. That will work, although a Forward button would still be nice if it didn't clutter up the screen.

BTW, since you mentioned tinyurl.com, which I make heavy use of, I got this yesterday from a very tech-savvy friend:

I have switched FROM t i n y u r l . com and TO goo.gl : Many email forwarding services no longer pass anything with that domain name. Even the single word t i n y u r l will cause an email message to be deleted w/o any diagnostic bounce msg. E.g., [names two mutual friends] both use ACM.org to forward their email: It took a while to figure out why _many_ of my messages to them never arrived! Oh: This is never documented by the email forwarding service, either, on their websites: Not nice!
The reason is that spammers can use tinyurl to mask nasty sites that you might not click on if you saw the link in advance. There are downsides to goo.gl too, in that Google makes your link public, search indexes it, and keeps click analytics. I'm not convinced I'm going to switch.

But this is getting far from my original suggestion, and so it's time to wrap up this post.

-- Mark E.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4