Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

los arboles resident

Apr 1, 2013, 1:39 AM

Post #1 of 9 (7028 views)

Shortcut

Zacatecas to San Antonio

Can't Post | Private Reply
Am travelling by car from Zacatecas to San Antonio thru Nuevo Leon mid April 2013. Just want to know best route to follow out of Mexico and where do I turn in tip sticker along with
Tourist Card. I don't want to miss the tip sticker location and want to know what signs to look for.
Thanks for any help.

(This post was edited by los arboles resident on Apr 1, 2013, 1:49 AM)

Altahabana

Apr 1, 2013, 4:48 AM

Post #2 of 9 (7016 views)

Shortcut

Re: [los arboles resident] Zacatecas to San Antonio

Your two best entry points are Eagle Pass/Piedras Negras and Laredo/Nuevo Laredo. You will not go through Nuevo Leon if you cross at Eagle Pass/Piedras.

Both are about 150 miles from San Antonio.

If you cross at Eagle Pass/Piedras, the vehicle permit/immigration station where you get and turn-in your documents is about 30 miles south of Piedras directly on the highway near the town of Allende at the interior Aduana checkpoint.

The vehicle permit/immigration station in Nuevo Laredo is on the banks of the river between the two bridges. It is not difficult to get there from Bridge II, but it is not as convenient as the station if you cross at Eagle Pass/Piedras.

The drive from Eagle Pass/Piedras is about 90 miles longer (to Saltillo) than the drive from Laredo/Nuevo Laredo.

The Eagle Pass/Piedras route though has only one short toll road that costs about $80 MN. The route from the Laredos will require you to take a toll road from outside to Nuevo Laredo to the north side of Monterrey and two others on the Loop Road around the north of the city. Toll costs are about $320MN.

The road south from Piedras (Hwy 57) to Saltillo is a well maintained road. If you cross at Eagle Pass/Piedras you will encounter less traffic and avoid the Monterrey metro area.

The adavantages of Eagle Pass/Piedras are (1) convenience of having the permit/immigration station right on the highway, (2) less traffic congestion and (3) low toll cost.

The advantage of crossing at the Laredos is the shorter distance.

los arboles resident

Apr 19, 2013, 7:37 PM

Post #3 of 9 (6678 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Zacatecas to San Antonio

Went thru yesterday. Went back to original location I got tip sticker at ciitev on Blvd Luis Donaldo Colosio. Was directed to a small drive-up location booth. Had to scrape my sticker off, gave it to the lady in the booth who scanned it. She took a picture of the vin plate/sticker on the drivers door jam also. She then gave me a receipt with some spanish dialogue indicating my refund would appear on my credit card. Happy Happy.

Altahabana

Apr 20, 2013, 3:33 AM

Post #4 of 9 (6647 views)

Shortcut

The main CIITEV station is not on Colosio. You get off Colosio at the Lopez de Lara exit and continue for about a 1/2 mile on the road that runs along the river. The station is to the left on the riverbank between the two downtown birdges.

(This post was edited by Altahabana on Apr 20, 2013, 3:37 AM)

los arboles resident

Apr 20, 2013, 7:37 PM

Post #5 of 9 (6580 views)

Shortcut

So you are saying their are two of these locations. The one I am referring to is by the bridge leading to I35.

Altahabana

Apr 21, 2013, 5:25 AM

Post #6 of 9 (6550 views)

Shortcut

You are referring to the little kiosks about 50 yards from the toll booths on Bridge II. Those stations aren't always open. The main CIITEV station is a large building between the two bridges on the riverbank.

los arboles resident

Apr 25, 2013, 7:02 PM

Post #7 of 9 (6435 views)

Shortcut

Went back to original location I got tip sticker at ciitev on Blvd Luis Donaldo Colosio. This makes sense to others who read this. I don't understand your adding more to my info when it is pretty clear in my post , ( Went back to original location I got tip sticker at ciitev on Blvd Luis Donaldo Colosio )

Altahabana

Apr 26, 2013, 6:08 AM

Post #8 of 9 (6399 views)

Shortcut

Part of what I added was new information. Not everyone may know that TIP permits can be cancelled at the bridge at the kiosks I mentioned without having to go to the main CIITEV station. And second, as a resident of Nuevo Laredo I was not sure where you turned in the permit based on your description. I have seen a number of posts over the years by FM2/FM3 holders who needed to check out of the country with immigration or FMM holders who wanted to return their documents but missed the exit off Colosio to CIITEV-Immigration and ended crossing without being able to do that.

The CIITEV station is on a road that exits off Colosio about a mile from the bridge and runs along the riverbank then merges onto Lopez de Lara a few hundred yards west of Bridge I. The sign at the exit on Colosio says it is for Blvd. Lopez de Lara. I have no idea what the official name for that exit road is and there are no street signs that identify it. But regardless of its official name, no NL resident would describe the CIITEV station as being on Colosio.

I thought my response was pretty innocuous--sorry you seemed to take offense.

pollywolly

Jun 8, 2013, 10:10 AM

Post #9 of 9 (5808 views)

Shortcut

For future reference, I know that a number of folks do not use the Colombia bridge outside N.L. for various reasons. We use it because it has less traffic and it serves our purpose well. The kiosk to return the sticker is on the road approaching the bridge. Sometimes we have needed to wait for the agent to arrive but never over about 5 minutes. That bridge does have restricted hours, I think from about 7 AM to 11 PM. We only use it during daylight hours. Safe and enjoyable travels to all.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4