Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Mexico City & Surroundings

fordmexico

Mar 30, 2013, 7:33 PM

Post #1 of 14 (8135 views)

Shortcut

Mexico City Bookstores

Can't Post | Private Reply
 For those living in the D. F. that still desire a physical book in their hands, - An article from the News on Friday, March 22, 2013.

http://www.thenews.com.mx/...od-book-in-this-town

(This post was edited by Rolly on Mar 30, 2013, 10:11 PM)

TigerTonio

Mar 31, 2013, 9:30 AM

Post #2 of 14 (8087 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fordmexico] Mexico City Bookstores

Thanks! Great info! =D

The "Centro Cultural Condesa" is also well worth a visit. It's enormous, and while it's mostly Spanish books, there is a huge collection of English "coffee table books" available here.

http://www.centroculturalcondesa.com/

(This post was edited by Rolly on Mar 31, 2013, 10:56 AM)

Maesonna

Mar 31, 2013, 8:30 PM

Post #3 of 14 (8033 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fordmexico] Mexico City Bookstores

Also anyone desperate for reading material in English would be advised to visit the used bookstore street, Donceles/Justo Sierra (in the Centro Hístorico; the street runs just behind the Cathedral). Go along the stretch from approximately the Cathedral westward almost to Eje 1 Lázaro Cárdenas. Every used bookstore has an English table, each one heaped with piles of dusty paperbacks by best-selling and obscure authors of decades past. Some of the stores also have shelves of hardcovers and other more recent books in their English section. It is like a treasure hunt.

La Isla

Mar 31, 2013, 9:43 PM

Post #4 of 14 (8023 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Mexico City Bookstores

There is also a great used bookstore with lots of titles in English at the Union Evangelical Church in Lomas de Chapultepec in Mexico City. The address is Reforma 1870-208; their telephone is 5202-5106. All proceeds from sales of books go to charity.

(This post was edited by La Isla on Mar 31, 2013, 9:47 PM)

tonyburton / Moderator

Apr 1, 2013, 7:43 AM

Post #5 of 14 (8001 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Mexico City Bookstores

What happened to Librerías Gandhi and Libros, Libros, Libros? Shouldn't they be on the list?

La Isla

Apr 1, 2013, 9:12 AM

Post #6 of 14 (7981 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Mexico City Bookstores

In Reply To
What happened to Librerías Gandhi and Libros, Libros, Libros? Shouldn't they be on the list?

Maybe Librerías Gandhi doesn't carry many books in English? I've never heard of Libros, Libros, Libros.

tonyburton / Moderator

Apr 1, 2013, 9:56 AM

Post #7 of 14 (7978 views)

Shortcut

Libros, libros, libros: http://www.libroslibrosmexico.com/

La Isla

Apr 1, 2013, 10:09 AM

Post #8 of 14 (7974 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Libros, libros, libros: http://www.libroslibrosmexico.com/

Thanks for the link. It's located in one of the Lomas (Lomas Barrilaco), one, in fact, I've never heard of, which is probably why I'd never heard of this store. Have you ever been there?

tonyburton / Moderator

Apr 1, 2013, 10:57 AM

Post #9 of 14 (7969 views)

Shortcut

Yes, I used to go there regularly, though I haven't been there now for a decade, so can't speak to its current selection of books (except they turned down the chance to stock "Geo-Mexico"!).

La Isla

Apr 1, 2013, 11:02 AM

Post #10 of 14 (7964 views)

Shortcut

Where is it in relation to my neighborhood? I live a few blocks in back of the US Embassy. And shame on LLL for refusing to stock Geo-Mexico!

tonyburton / Moderator

Apr 1, 2013, 11:10 AM

Post #11 of 14 (7962 views)

Shortcut

Very close to Paseo de las Palmas:

Google Map (not sure if link will work): https://www.google.ca/...e+ararat+mexico+city

La Isla

Apr 1, 2013, 12:00 PM

Post #12 of 14 (7951 views)

Shortcut

The link works - thanks, Tony.

Gibbon

Apr 3, 2013, 2:01 PM

Post #13 of 14 (7893 views)

Shortcut

As an occasional reader of your forum, I noticed the reference to Mexico City bookstores that specialized in English. The News did mention specifically and recommend the Under the Volcano Bookstore located at Celaya 25 in Condesa. The bookstore is on the second floor of the Mexico City American Legion.

The article did compliment the Under the Volcano Bookstore for its wide selection of used books. I endorse this observation as I found its selection of literature and history to be superior to the American government’s selection at the Ben Franklin library. Finding works such as the Alexandra Quartet in Mexico City can be trying.

La Isla

Apr 3, 2013, 2:13 PM

Post #14 of 14 (7888 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gibbon] Mexico City Bookstores

In Reply To
As an occasional reader of your forum, I noticed the reference to Mexico City bookstores that specialized in English. The News did mention specifically and recommend the Under the Volcano Bookstore located at Celaya 25 in Condesa. The bookstore is on the second floor of the Mexico City American Legion.

The article did compliment the Under the Volcano Bookstore for its wide selection of used books. I endorse this observation as I found its selection of literature and history to be superior to the American government’s selection at the Ben Franklin library. Finding works such as the Alexandra Quartet in Mexico City can be trying.

I once visited the Benj. Franklin Library and was disappointed in the lack of variety in its lending collection. Thanks for recommending Under the Volcano - I´ll check it out the next time I'm in Condesa.

I just found this link: http://underthevolcanobooks.com/ .

(This post was edited by Rolly on Apr 3, 2013, 5:17 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4