Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

tonyburton / Moderator

Mar 24, 2013, 4:02 PM

Post #26 of 76 (7357 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Mexconnect upgrade - opinions sought!

Can't Post | Private Reply
You will be pleased to hear that these issues should certainly be resolved when we upgrade our forum software.

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Mar 24, 2013, 4:02 PM)

bronco

Mar 24, 2013, 6:45 PM

Post #27 of 76 (7332 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Mexconnect upgrade - opinions sought!

i agree w/post #11 & #12. as for the "thumbs down" feature: i cannot find the comment which suggested this. "like" & "no like", "thumbs up" or "down" is a bad idea. if someone dosnt like another member, they & their pals can "thumbs down" them like crazy. we dont need another "youtube" kind of thing, or oportunities for hostility. in general i like your site the way it is. please dont make big changes, continue to keep it simple. btw, you have a very attactive "home page"- i think this is the best site for mexico.

(This post was edited by bronco on Mar 24, 2013, 6:58 PM)

tashby

Mar 24, 2013, 6:46 PM

Post #28 of 76 (7330 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Mexconnect upgrade - opinions sought!

Within the forums....

A better search function would be great.

Being able to manipulate the text more easily in a post you're creating would be nice. (Italiics, bold, underline, etc.) I find the functionality on this site cumbersome compared to other forums.

I realize you said it's unlikely you'll change/add forums, but if anything a "Moving to Mexico" forum makes a lot of sense.

chinagringo

Mar 24, 2013, 6:59 PM

Post #29 of 76 (7323 views)

Shortcut

You should be pleased to know the definition of a camel:
"It is a horse designed by a committeee!"

With the number of self proclaimed experts on this forum - I wish you good luck!

Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

DavidMcL

Mar 24, 2013, 7:28 PM

Post #30 of 76 (7316 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Mexconnect upgrade - opinions sought!

From chaos springs inspiration. From confusion, clarity.
David McL
WebJefe

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Mar 24, 2013, 9:31 PM

Post #31 of 76 (7303 views)

Shortcut

I don't post often, and I never do links or photos, but I do read the forum almost every day. I've gotten some good info from this group, for which I thank you all.

Please don't change the appearance, which I find very readable and easy on the eyes. I'm ambivalent about the "thumbs up" issue, but I think a "thumbs down" button would lighten the workload of the moderators who have to screen posts for bad behavior or spam.

However, I would like an improvement in the "search" function, though in fairness I don't know of any search functions that really work well. Those of you with the appropriate backgrounds will have more insight into this. It should be easy to find things.

I also agree with the idea of breaking apart the large subject areas into 2 or 3 more specific subjects. "Living, Working, Retiring" covers a lot of ground. The danger, of course, is that the site becomes too cumbersome, with too many topics that sit idle for days or weeks

By and large I think this forum functions quite well, thanks to the generosity and collective knowlege of the members, and the diligence of the moderators.

Thanks for the opportunity to provide feedback. I'm looking forward to what you do with the site. I think it's one of the most interesting sites about México on the Internet.

N.

Maesonna

Mar 25, 2013, 8:33 AM

Post #32 of 76 (7281 views)

Shortcut

Maybe this will be resolved anyway when you upgrade the forum software… On the subforum index pages, I would like to be able to see the time (time of day) of the newest post if it was made on the current day. Currently it just shows the date of the newest post, even if that day is today. And/or a mark to distinguish the threads that contain unread posts.

As for pointing forum users towards the rest of the website, how about a new subforum where people can discuss articles on the site that they feel like drawing to the attention of fellow forumites? Do people think that would be useful, would generate good, thoughtful discussions?

tonyburton / Moderator

Mar 25, 2013, 8:41 AM

Post #33 of 76 (7279 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Mexconnect upgrade - opinions sought!

I'm pretty sure that the forum upgrade will add time of day to "latest posts".
We do already have a "mark" to indicate threads that contain unread posts - yellow marks on the left of forum lists indicate this.
Thanks for your suggestion about a forum dedicated to discussion of articles, which might be an interesting alternative to adding the ability to comment directly on articles.

tonyburton / Moderator

Mar 25, 2013, 8:46 AM

Post #34 of 76 (7275 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nancy in Pátzcuaro] Mexconnect upgrade - opinions sought!

Thanks, Nancy, for taking the time to suggest these considered suggestions.
Can you explain a little more please about the improvements you would like to see to the Forum Search function?

This seems like a good opportunity to remind readers that if for any reason that doesn't find what you're looking for via the Forum Search function, it is also possible to use Sr. Google, adding mexconnect forum to your search string. That should find any posts older than a day or two and show them in your Google search results.

tonyburton / Moderator

Mar 25, 2013, 8:50 AM

Post #35 of 76 (7272 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Mexconnect upgrade - opinions sought!

Thanks!
Easier manipulation of text is definitely a priority and is part of the upgrade. (It's worth remembering that when our existing forum software was first created by Gossamer Threads, our great software developers based in Vancouver, BC, in the mid 1990s, it was definitely one of the best in the world! ~ however, time takes its toll, and things have moved on, so it's time to catch up again).

Can you expand, please, on what a "better search function" (for the forums) would include?

jackak10

Mar 25, 2013, 8:58 AM

Post #36 of 76 (7264 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |

In Reply To
I'm pretty sure that the forum upgrade will add time of day to "latest posts".
We do already have a "mark" to indicate threads that contain unread posts - yellow marks on the left of forum lists indicate this.

When the yellow mark is behind the "hot topic" flames they are hard for my old eyes to see. I wind up putting the cursor (arrow, whatever) on top and reading to see if there are new posts. A more visible mark would be welcome, to me anyway.

tonyburton / Moderator

Mar 25, 2013, 9:11 AM

Post #37 of 76 (7256 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jackak10] Mexconnect upgrade - opinions sought!

Agreed! Yellow was not the best choice.

Rolly

Mar 25, 2013, 10:08 AM

Post #38 of 76 (7247 views)

Shortcut

I would like to have a two-step search function. That is the ability to search again within the previous search results.

Rolly Pirate

bronco

Mar 25, 2013, 11:39 AM

Post #39 of 76 (7224 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nancy in Pátzcuaro] Mexconnect upgrade - opinions sought!

only the mods should moderate, not us. how would you lke if i thumbed down your posts as i may not like your opinions? then 10 of my friends do the same? this is a privatly owned forum, let them decide what gets deleted, or who is banned. they have good judgement.

jackak10

Mar 25, 2013, 11:45 AM

Post #40 of 76 (7223 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bronco] Mexconnect upgrade - opinions sought!

Can't Post |

In Reply To
only the mods should moderate, not us. how would you lke if i thumbed down your posts as i may not like your opinions? then 10 of my friends do the same? this is a privatly owned forum, let them decide what gets deleted, or who is banned. they have good judgement.

I would view thumbs up/down as merely a way to express an opinion without making another post. Not to try to reach some automatic delete level.

La Isla

Mar 25, 2013, 12:19 PM

Post #41 of 76 (7214 views)

Shortcut

I would view thumbs up/down as merely a way to express an opinion without making another post. Not to try to reach some automatic delete level.

I agree with you jackak. Sometimes I just want to agree with a post (as I do with yours) but don't want to (or don't have time to) make a new post.

johanson

Mar 25, 2013, 1:23 PM

Post #42 of 76 (7205 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Mexconnect upgrade - opinions sought!

I have been hesitant to post anything here, because I like things the way they are. And based upon your previous history, whatever further changes you make will be fine as well. KEEP UP the GREAT WORK.

tonyburton / Moderator

Mar 25, 2013, 1:55 PM

Post #43 of 76 (7199 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Mexconnect upgrade - opinions sought!

Oh, where is that "LIKE!!" button when you need it?

smokesilver

Mar 25, 2013, 7:25 PM

Post #44 of 76 (7179 views)

Shortcut

I agree with Pete.

bronco

Mar 25, 2013, 8:21 PM

Post #45 of 76 (7173 views)

Shortcut

david, i see you already changed something. this change confuses the comments & replies, there is little continunity. when someone replies to a post the original content of that post no longer exists. so we lose the entire dialoque. we have to scroll back up, to find the info the comment is about.

tonyburton / Moderator

Mar 25, 2013, 8:28 PM

Post #46 of 76 (7171 views)

Shortcut

Nothing has been changed, or will be changed for several months. Possibly you changed a setting in how you are viewing the site?

jackak10

Mar 26, 2013, 7:12 AM

Post #47 of 76 (7151 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |

In Reply To
david, i see you already changed something. this change confuses the comments & replies, there is little continunity. when someone replies to a post the original content of that post no longer exists. so we lose the entire dialoque. we have to scroll back up, to find the info the comment is about.

Use the "quote" instead of "reply" to get the copy of the post you are responding to to appear in your post.
BTW, I'm writing this using Chrome because Firefox displays it much differently and is hard to use. A little.

bronco

Mar 26, 2013, 8:45 AM

Post #48 of 76 (7140 views)

Shortcut

thanks, instead of "reply", press "quote"? will try. other than that i dont know what a firefox etc is.

RickS

Mar 26, 2013, 7:58 PM

Post #49 of 76 (7116 views)

Shortcut

"...what a firefox etc is."

Firefox and Chrome are Internet Browsers. Similar (but not) to Internet Explorer (IE) which is probably what you use to view websites such as Mexconnect.

bronco

Apr 2, 2013, 3:00 PM

Post #50 of 76 (6988 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Mexconnect upgrade - opinions sought!

none of those names sound familar. btw, i had to ask someone what a "browser" was. when i say i have no skills, i am not exaggerating. anyway this site works well for me, i hope they keep it simple!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4