Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

Opatije

Mar 22, 2013, 3:44 PM

Post #1 of 23 (18714 views)

Shortcut

Dishnetwork in Playa del Carmen

Can't Post | Private Reply
Trying to setup my dish (1.5m) in my home in Playa and having challenges with aiming....does anyone know if its doable? Currently aiming at 240 AZ and 46 ELV. I'm getting 70 strength but the quality is only 20.

(This post was edited by Opatije on Mar 22, 2013, 6:53 PM)

johanson / Moderator

Mar 22, 2013, 7:45 PM

Post #2 of 23 (18697 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Opatije] Dishnetwork in Playa del Carmen

I know that on the West, we point at 110, 119, & 129 degrees West for Dish and don't get many HD signals. Where you are you might point at one or more Dish satellites farther to the East. Along the shores of Lake Chapala, I used to use one 4 footer, one 6 footer on 110 and 119 degrees west and tried to use the 2.4 meter or at footer pointing at the HD bird at 129 degrees West, but it wasn't larger enough.

You need to talk to others from you area and find out which DISH satellites give you the best coverage and the size needed. I hope someone here can on Mexconnect can help you.

Me? Here in the greater Chapala area, one finds, if you want HD, that DirecTV US and/or Shaw Direct (Canada) give you much better signals with an 8 footer for DirecTV and/or a 26.5 by 36.5 inch elliptical dish for Shaw Direct than does Dish Network.

(This post was edited by johanson on Mar 22, 2013, 7:49 PM)

YucaLandia

Mar 23, 2013, 12:11 AM

Post #3 of 23 (18680 views)

Shortcut

Johansen is basically right.

We've set up many Dish Network systems here in Merida/beach areas: 110W works great with a 100 cm dish. A high quality 1.8 m dish gets almost all of 119 (but not ESPN channels) - but your really have to tweak it in just right to get California and NY network channels. 61.2 is also available with a big dish. a 2.4 m dish can get basically all channels on either 119 or 61.5. Your 1.5m dish is fairly small, ( a 1.8m dish is about 50% larger than a 1.5 ) and it can get a few 119w channels, but your dish will work great for 110W.

Your settings fit trying to get 119W, which would explain the low signal quality with such a small dish.

Alternately, your dish would work great for Shaw or the Puerto Rican services...

For 110W (most channels and great signal quality) you should be looking at 54.5 Elevation and 230 Azimuth.
All the best,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

Opatije

Mar 23, 2013, 8:11 AM

Post #4 of 23 (18670 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Dishnetwork in Playa del Carmen

To both of you guys (Yucalandia and Johanson) - a big thank you. I've setup many dish systems but this one seems to be a challenge. You explanation makes sense. I think I need to look for a different antenna to get most channels from 119 (not really interested in 110).

Do you know know anyone in Merida who sells 1.8m antennas?

Once again thank you and saludos...

(This post was edited by Opatije on Mar 23, 2013, 8:14 AM)

hodamayo

Mar 23, 2013, 8:34 AM

Post #5 of 23 (18656 views)

Shortcut

If you send me your phone number I can set you up with all your satellite needs and antennas.
Mike Mayo
hodamayo@hotmail.com
998 147 2532 Telcel
832 861 5106 Vonage
Facebook.USsatelliteTV.com

hodamayo

Mar 23, 2013, 8:35 AM

Post #6 of 23 (18655 views)

Shortcut

Give me a call, I do most of the Dish Network, Directv and Shaw Direct systems in your area.
Mike Mayo
hodamayo@hotmail.com
998 147 2532 Telcel
832 861 5106 Vonage

YucaLandia

Mar 23, 2013, 10:55 AM

Post #7 of 23 (18642 views)

Shortcut

Ricardo Medina recommends and sells 2.4m antennas, and does installs and service in Q. Roo. He brings in a very high quality dishes from Guadalajara. Ricardo's numer is 999-217-1220, but he is at a remote location today doing an install, w/ weak cell service. The 1.8m dish does work partially in PDC, but it is a metal dish (prone to rusting at the beach), while the 2.4 m from Guadalajara is a high quality parabolic dish, w/thick fiberglass (in case of storms), and really robust mounting bases. The 1.8 m dishes are also difficult to find here the last 18 months. (I quoted information about the 1.8M dish, because that is what I personally have used for the past 6 years, paired with a 110cm Channel Master - the old DirecTV dishes leftover after DirecTV backed out of Mexico)

When Dish Network took their old 119W satellite out of service, and replaced it with the new one, they really tightened up the beam, to concentrate signal on Florida - and after that change, the 1.5m dishes stopped working well for 119W in PDC. The 2.4m works well, because it is about 160% larger than your 1.5m.

Hodamayo may be a really good option, but we have no references on him, and he rarely posts on Mexconnect, and he rarely offers advise or answers. Maybe he is a good reliable guy. Hope so!
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Mar 23, 2013, 11:06 AM)

hodamayo

Mar 23, 2013, 6:21 PM

Post #8 of 23 (18623 views)

Shortcut

I have lived in Mexico for almost 12 years, been selling, installing and trouble shooting problems the whole time. I have been on this forum for like 7 or 8 years. I should have many posts here, but I do not know. I do Directv, Dish Network, Shaw Direct, iDirect, Hughesnet, Vonage, and Satellite radio and pretty much anything else. I cover all of Mexico, Belize, and Guatemala. I try to stay up with anything that goes on here and in the area.
Mike Mayo
hodamayo@hotmail.com
998 147 2532 Telcel
832 861 5106 Vonage

YucaLandia

Mar 23, 2013, 9:00 PM

Post #9 of 23 (18611 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hodamayo] Dishnetwork in Playa del Carmen

Good update.

You do a fine job of describing your services.

Since this is a technical forum (not the Business forum), can you also tell us the technical specs, minimum equipment needed, best recommended equipment, relative signal strengths, what receivers you offer that work for Dish Network, the satellites you recommend for getting Dish in PDC, the HD channels available using the combination of equipment that you propose, limitations of getting Dish in PDC, etc.

I do remember your past posts, and they reliably contained your contact information and professional offers for your services.

steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

Opatije

Mar 24, 2013, 7:37 AM

Post #10 of 23 (18595 views)

Shortcut

As with all your posts Steve....

Fantastic info and help. Thank you guys again - you're gold !!!

Jack

hodamayo

Mar 24, 2013, 8:24 AM

Post #11 of 23 (18589 views)

Shortcut

Steve, I will be happy to help anyone that asks for my help, but I find in posting information that many people will try to do this themselves, since this is my business and knowledge I would prefer to help people on an individual basis. Otherwise I feel like a janitor going out to repair what they could not do. I charge for my services as any business would. There are to many variables for the area, since Cancun has a stronger signal area than say Tulum. For the most part I can do Networks out of Cincinnati, Ohio in HD. 119 is the core satellite for all reception and needs top be at least a 1.80 cm antenna for anywhere South of Cancun. 110 can use a 110cm antenna. 61.5 is history in my book. I can order any size antenna that may be needed. I offer mostly Dish Network in a single tuner, or a dual tuner. I can also do the Hopper / Joey systems for up to 6 TVs in ONE household. Sometimes these are hard to do since the require a Homerun for cabling, and builders here build for a cable system that starts on the ground level, opposite of what we sometimes need. If anyone has any questions I can call anywhere and go anywhere and all my contact is in my signature.

Thank you,
Mike Mayo
hodamayo@hotmail.com
998 147 2532 Telcel
832 861 5106 Vonage

YucaLandia

Mar 24, 2013, 8:40 PM

Post #12 of 23 (18568 views)

Shortcut

Hey Mike,
Thanks for the good information.

It's a real pleasure to hear detailed explanations from experts who know their craft,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

Opatije

Mar 28, 2013, 1:35 PM

Post #13 of 23 (18535 views)

Shortcut

A way of update: 110 works as indicated by Steve. Great signal and quality.

I will play with 119 but I can see you need a large antenna to make it happen.

Thx everyone for advice.

hodamayo

Mar 29, 2013, 8:37 AM

Post #14 of 23 (18516 views)

Shortcut

If you get tired of messing with it, give me a call. I can have you up and working in no time at all.
Mike Mayo
hodamayo@hotmail.com
998 147 2532 Telcel
832 861 5106 Vonage

Mel Berry

Mar 25, 2016, 8:46 AM

Post #15 of 23 (11891 views)

Shortcut

As of about 5 years ago you can now get the following programming on just a 18 inch antenna with single LNBF.
http://dbstv.com/mayamedia.html
This works throughout Mexico - yes, anywhere in Mexico.

Mayo almost always has inventory in stock, and you have the option to self-install the Dish Network 18" antenna (which is pretty darn easy to do). This same antenna will provide you 8 different cities of Local-Networks in full High Definition. I am surprised that hardly no one mentions this, or advertises it.
Here is the link for the available cities of HD Networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS) -- http://dbstv.com/local.html

As mentioned above you can add a 110 or 119 antenna and get more channels combined to the same satellite box/tv/tvs.
OR, you can maybe add a 1.8m antenna and receive 61.5 along with the 18 inch antenna and receive a full range of channels.
Mel Berry
Houston Media Systems
5713 Second Street, Katy Texas

281-464-0101 USA
52 554.161.3681 Mexico VoIP
866.583.9304 USA Toll Free

www.dbstv.com

johanson / Moderator

Mar 25, 2016, 9:11 AM

Post #16 of 23 (11883 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mel Berry] Dishnetwork in Playa del Carmen

Mel: A voice from the past. It's good to hear from you. I'm at a computer club meeting as I read this. I shall look at the link this afternoon. Again, thanks.

Pete

Mel Berry

Mar 25, 2016, 9:21 AM

Post #17 of 23 (11880 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Dishnetwork in Playa del Carmen

Good to see you're still out there helping everyone.
Have a great day
Mel Berry
Houston Media Systems
5713 Second Street, Katy Texas

281-464-0101 USA
52 554.161.3681 Mexico VoIP
866.583.9304 USA Toll Free

www.dbstv.com

johanson / Moderator

Mar 25, 2016, 7:31 PM

Post #18 of 23 (11858 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mel Berry] Dishnetwork in Playa del Carmen

Looks like a great possible system one could use in much of Mexico. I shall check with the local satellite dealers on Monday, after Easter. and see what type of luck they have had with various size dishes.

MAY YOU ALL HAVE A WONDERFUL EASTER WEEKEND

johanson / Moderator

Mar 28, 2016, 2:51 PM

Post #19 of 23 (11817 views)

Shortcut

I just talked to the local satellite dealer in Ajijic on the shores of Lake Chapala (just east of Guadalajara) and he says that they have been able to help clients install the said system using a small dish about the size of a Sky dish.
So yes say I, a little later than I should have, that this DISH option is really great especially for those who want the US network channels in HD (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox in HD and PBS maybe not in HD from any one of the following cities.
1.Jacksonville FL, 2. Lexington, KY 3. Cincinnati, OH, 4. Harrisburg PA, 5. Louisville KE 6. Little Rock AR, 7. Charleston, VW. or 8. Springfield, MO. All are in the Eastern time zone except # 6. & #8. which are in the Central time zone.

The web page shown here

http://dbstv.com/mayamedia.html

will give you a breakdown of the cost of the various programing options available.

(This post was edited by johanson on Mar 28, 2016, 2:55 PM)

DavidHF

Apr 4, 2016, 12:39 PM

Post #20 of 23 (11753 views)

Shortcut

Lake Chapala is SOUTH of Guadalajara!

johanson / Moderator

Apr 4, 2016, 2:50 PM

Post #21 of 23 (11749 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Dishnetwork in Playa del Carmen

Do I feel stupid. Of course Lake Chapala is South of Guadalajara. Thanks for correcting my error, David.

fordmexico

Jul 6, 2016, 6:57 PM

Post #22 of 23 (11083 views)

Shortcut

Although you would generally describe Lake Chapala as being SOUTH of Guadalajara. Some of the lake is actually EAST of Guadalajara as well.

johanson / Moderator

Jul 6, 2016, 7:27 PM

Post #23 of 23 (11080 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fordmexico] Dishnetwork in Playa del Carmen

All I know is that from here up in the hills on the north side of the lake in upper Ajijic is that about the only 3 directions it is not visible is NW, N, & NE. Have a great week end. ,I just had a tempur-pedic bed and mattress and moveable bed installed about an hour ago.
It cost way too much, but do spend at least 1/3rd of each day in bed; so why not?
May you all have great Sat TV or whatever you are using. I am going to try the bed tilting and massage buttons on my remote.
So also have a great sleep.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4