Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

no trump

Mar 22, 2013, 8:53 AM

Post #1 of 11 (4473 views)

Shortcut

Car Insurance and PR Status

Can't Post | Private Reply
I just spoke with my insurance agent as I have a car here and will be getting my permanent resident card next month. I figure Id wait for the dust to settle if we can keep our cars here with some modification of the current INM and or Aduana policies without trekking to the border and nationalizing it.

The agent said my current policy (its one of those that says I have an address in the states for a tourist automobile which was fine for the old Fm-3) will become void when I get my new PR status. Just wondering if any others have come across this and are there any other insurance options?

To drive my car here in Mexico and not have insurance is a game changer for me and leaves me no choice to nationalize or keep it in the garage and hope policies change.

mazbeach

Mar 22, 2013, 12:27 PM

Post #2 of 11 (4410 views)

Shortcut

Re: [no trump] Car Insurance and PR Status

I was just told the same thing by my agent. We're heading north anyway to legalize our vehicle, so I asked out of curiosity. Our problem was that we need to go to RP early next month and need the vehicle because we travel frequently. Locally, Aduana has said they weren't going to enforce it "for the time being" but it pretty much means you can't leave town. And besides, just how long is "for the time being?"

YucaLandia

Mar 22, 2013, 1:16 PM

Post #3 of 11 (4385 views)

Shortcut

~ RUMOR ~ RUMOR ~ RUMOR ~ RUMOR ~ RUMOR ~ RUMOR ~ RUMOR ~ RUMOR ~
RUMOR: There is a report attributed to a lobbyist/lawyer of the El Consejo Nacional de la Industria Maquiladora y Manufacturera de Mexico (Manufacturer's Association - Factory owner's heavy-weight union) who works with Mexico's lower legislature, that the Camara de Diputados is supposed to announce the details OF A RUMOR that: "new legislation will be announced in 3-4 weeks that allows all foreigners with valid INM permits, (and cars currently temporarily imported into Mexico), to keep their legally imported cars here." RUMOR
~ RUMOR ~ RUMOR ~ RUMOR ~ RUMOR ~ RUMOR ~ RUMOR ~ RUMOR ~ RUMOR ~ RUMOR ~ RUMOR ~

Does this mythical bill have provisions for charging import duties??? Does the rumored bill grant a general amnesty???

What is anyone else hearing about this?

-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Mar 22, 2013, 2:48 PM)

richmx2

Mar 22, 2013, 3:21 PM

Post #4 of 11 (4351 views)

Shortcut

If you're a permanent resident, why wouldn't you get your insurance in local agent here?

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

no trump

Mar 23, 2013, 4:20 PM

Post #5 of 11 (4213 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] Car Insurance and PR Status

When you become a permanent resident according to my local insurance broker in Mazaltan, your car is now uninsured. According to him while Aduana gives you 5 days to get it nationalized your coverage has stopped. My point is do check with your insurance agent and don't get into any accidents.

YucaLandia

Mar 23, 2013, 4:59 PM

Post #6 of 11 (4196 views)

Shortcut

Could you tell us what insurance company is cancelling foreign-plated car coverage for Residente Permanentes?
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

no trump

Mar 24, 2013, 8:04 AM

Post #7 of 11 (4138 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Car Insurance and PR Status

Steve,

The insurer is Qualitas Compania de Seguros, S.A.B. de C.V. My broker said that as soon as my current Residente Temporal expires my car is no longer covered. I suggest a call to your own carrier/ agent regarding this is a prudent thing to do.

barmarr

Mar 25, 2013, 2:16 PM

Post #8 of 11 (4008 views)

Shortcut

Just called my insurance agent in Nogales, Arizona and was told the policy they issued on my car has nothing to do with my visa status. My policy is good as long as I continue to hold the official "Title" to the car.

Here is their contact information so you can ask your questions directly.

San Xavier Mexico Insurance E-Mail: mexicobob@aol.com www.mexican-autoinsurance.com Toll Free: 888-377-1570 (U.S. & Canada) Regular: 520-377-0424 Fax: 520-377-0418

Lovingmexico

Mar 25, 2013, 4:47 PM

Post #9 of 11 (3976 views)

Shortcut

Re: [barmarr] Car Insurance and PR Status

Thanks

johanson

Mar 25, 2013, 5:02 PM

Post #10 of 11 (3968 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Lovingmexico] Car Insurance and PR Status

I shall check with my insurance broker (Parker) tomorrow. I just got my PERMANENTE card today and don't want to loose my coverage on my Texas plated car. (The plates were last updated in 2004)

nomore

Mar 26, 2013, 5:31 AM

Post #11 of 11 (3920 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Car Insurance and PR Status

Can't Post |
I am no expert in these matters - but I have some personal experience.

We came to Mexico in mid-January. We closed on the house in the states in late January. The insurance agent in the states figured our US plates were probably voided as soon as we no longer had a residence there. Speculation on - if the plates are invalid I'll bet the insurance is voided - Speculation off.

I picked up (through AAA) an annual GNP auto policy. The girl explained that a) there was no refund after 15 days - it was a tourist policy and b) it was only valid while my status was tourist. That wasn't obvious from the online process.

My 2 cents.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4