Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

EricWoods

Mar 13, 2013, 8:00 PM

Post #1 of 5 (8695 views)

Shortcut

How Safe Is Ensenada To Live In

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi To All
(1) I am planning retirement in one of the following 3 x places, (1) Lake Chapala area (2) Ensenada B.C (3) Portugal,
i am at present living in Virginia but British Citizen & Passport Holder, my preference would be Mexico as i would like to have easy access to the U.S.A, However Peace & Safety are top of my list, i have visited Lake Chapala really love the place downside is long distance to the Border (i prefer to drive as opposed to flying), i have recently started to look at House Prices in Ensenada & Playas De Rosarito, looks like nice property & coastline but as it is only 70 miles approx from border i am checking if the 'Drug Cartel' are active at all in this area i know further east it would be risky territory so close to the border,

(2) Does the same procedure and terms apply for Permanent Resident status here?

(3) If coming in as a Permanent Resident does the same rules apply to Auto Import i have a 1998 Mercedes Diesel i would like to keep it don't have a number as first of Vin:(WDBJ------------- ), so not a NAFTA vehicle
Any assistence or advice on any of the above would be gratefully appreciated as i am set on MEXICO if i can find a safe area with good all year round climate like Chapala or Ensenada, otherwise i will make it Portugal

(4) One last question if i want to drive down from San Diego to check this area out can i get my visitor permanent and temporary car sticker on the borderon the day or do i need to get all this upfront ?
Thanks again
Eric

RickS

Mar 13, 2013, 9:17 PM

Post #2 of 5 (8683 views)

Shortcut

Re: [EricWoods] How Safe Is Ensenada To Live In

NO VEHICLE IMPORT PERMIT IS NECESSARY TO DRIVE IN THE ENTIRE BAJA PENINSULA

chicois8

Mar 14, 2013, 9:59 AM

Post #3 of 5 (8626 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] How Safe Is Ensenada To Live In

In Reply To
NO VEHICLE IMPORT PERMIT IS NECESSARY TO DRIVE IN THE ENTIRE BAJA PENINSULA

But you will need Mexican Auto Insurance...
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

viktoremski

Mar 15, 2013, 9:59 AM

Post #4 of 5 (8576 views)

Shortcut

Re: [EricWoods] How Safe Is Ensenada To Live In

I have visited Ensenada on several occasions. I think it is interesting enough to stay there... for a couple of hours. I cannot imagine living there. It would be probably too boring. Rosarito is basically one long highway with sad remains of past tourist attractions. Just north is Tijuana, probably the ugliest of the large cities in Mexico. The only reason I'm still here is because of my job in San Diego. Once I retire in three years, I'm heading south.
Permanent Resident rules are same here as in the rest of Mexico.
You can visit this area without any visa/import arrangments, just car insurance - you can obtain it in many places in San Ysidro, just before crossing into Mexico.
Make sure you have your passport with you, so they let you back in the USA.
Have a great time!

EricWoods

Mar 16, 2013, 2:54 PM

Post #5 of 5 (8511 views)

Shortcut

Re: How Safe Is Ensenada To Live In

Hi,
thanks for the information i was thinking of moving to Lake Chapala. now i am thinking more in the Northern Baja California area more as a convenience sake to the USA than anything else
Thanks Again
Eric

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4