Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

jackak10

Mar 8, 2013, 9:18 AM

Post #1 of 12 (5280 views)

Shortcut

Nationalizing out of country vehicles (again/more)...

Can't Post |
I'll start this thread with a quote from another thread that was locked.

There are UCD type programs in many states. This is the one in Guanajuato state.

UCD (La Unión Campesina Democrática)

UCD is an association of campesinos who combine efforts to improve conditions and advocating for the working poor and farmers etc, buy seeds, farming, irrigation, home improvements, making less expensive foreign vehicles legal, government liaison / support for their causes, etc. UCD or similar organizations can be found in most states in Mexico. In some of those states including Chihuahua and Oaxaca etc. They now have a program to allow these vehicles (only those NAFTA made) to be nationalized for a low fee.

In San Miguel if a foreign plated car (even those made outside a NAFTA country such as Europe or Asia) is between 2005 and 1994 one can obtain a UCD permit that looks like a license plate. As of July 2012, it costs 600 pesos and 25 pesos a month and months can be prepaid. For a second person to drive the vehicle the card is another 50 pesos. At the end of the year or beginning of the new year for 200 pesos the plate and sticker will be renewed. The car can be driven throughout nearly all of Mexico including Queretaro except the very largest cities such as Guadalajara, Monterrey and Mexico City. Bancomer sells car insurance specific for UCD plated vehicles.

This removes all issues regarding car permits which will be no longer necessary. And, it allows an expat to sell a foreign-plated car of these model years without making a trip to the border or having to nationalize the seller's car

These car permits are prominent here in SMA and throughout Guanajuato state and can be seen on windshields and where one usually places the back license plate.

Note: if you brought in your car and obtained a car permit after June 2011 you paid a large deposit and will loose it without returning to the border. And, you will continue to show as having a car in Mexico; however, cars are tied to passports so a new passport normally wipes out your history of having a car in Mexico, or you bring in another car under your spouses name until such time as you renew your passport.

This was discussed in SMA on the Nov 14, 2012 and on Thursday Nov 15, 2012 with the new Governor and he even gave them more protection by law (Federal police, municipal police, etc do not have the right in Guanajuato state to stop you based on having UCD plates and can not take your car). There is now a request to allow these vehicles in GTO state to be nationalized. In some other states they have these programs allowing nationalization for about 4000 pesos.

Even if you are stopped say in QRO or any where else they are legally driven based solely on having UCD, no traffic violation, UCD will pay your fine. I have discussed this with them often.

So. Is TioCorp a scam or real way to get cars "nationalized"? Is there a UCD program in your area and if so, is there anyone with first-hand experience with how it works?

AlanMexicali

Mar 8, 2013, 11:06 AM

Post #2 of 12 (5229 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jackak10] Nationalizing out of country vehicles (again/more)...

Can't Post | Private Reply
Your questions: "So. Is TioCorp a scam or real way to get cars "nationalized"? Is there a UCD program in your area and if so, is there anyone with first-hand experience with how it works? "

I don´t know what the outcome will be when some people report back what happened with a TioCorp import and registration of a non allowed by ADUANA vehicle in a non Frontera [Free Zone] state will be. I could guess.

The people who drive UDC cardboard plated cars are rare here, at least in the city as far as I know. I see them sometimes but then again I do not usually look at license plates, more people and action watching.

My wife seems to think that this is more of a give away that you are "not one of "US" normal San Luis Potosi citizens". In other words if you drive with one of the UDC plated cars you are "wierd" [not normal] or if not you are a Campesino who is in the city, nothing wierd about that.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Mar 8, 2013, 11:09 AM)

stevebrtx

Mar 8, 2013, 12:52 PM

Post #3 of 12 (5191 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Nationalizing out of country vehicles (again/more)...

I've never researched whether a UCD program exists here and I've not heard there is, but even if there were, and this is totally personal, I wouldn't go that route as my understanding is they're designed to help low income Mexican folks and that's not me, so - and I'm sure this may give Bennie a cerebral blowout - I don't feel "entitled" to that, I pay my way +.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

AlanMexicali

Mar 8, 2013, 1:44 PM

Post #4 of 12 (5169 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Nationalizing out of country vehicles (again/more)...

In Reply To
I've never researched whether a UCD program exists here and I've not heard there is, but even if there were, and this is totally personal, I wouldn't go that route as my understanding is they're designed to help low income Mexican folks and that's not me, so - and I'm sure this may give Bennie a cerebral blowout - I don't feel "entitled" to that, I pay my way +.

You feel the same way my wife feels and I tend to agree with you two.

Lovingmexico

Mar 8, 2013, 3:22 PM

Post #5 of 12 (5118 views)

Shortcut

1. Several expats were at the huge UCD meeting with the new Mexican president shortly he took office and again with the new Governor of Guanajuato as recent as early February. This issue came up and one of their main objectives as similar nationalizing of UCD type plated vehicles in several states are allowed and for a low fee. I'd be surprised if I did not count at least 10 UCd plated vehicles in a day, mostly from Guanajuato but we have seen similar plates from other states. The government is very aware expats have UCD plates as well as many Mexicans with some very nice, expensive vehicles. Several friends have them and one American couple we know drive from SMA to their other resort in PV several times a year with UCD plates and never an issue.

2. If you are against expats, legally having UCD plates then you must be against them having Seguro Popular and likely IMSS as they too are generally for the poor.

La Isla

Mar 8, 2013, 3:37 PM

Post #6 of 12 (5109 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Lovingmexico] Nationalizing out of country vehicles (again/more)...

In Reply To

2. If you are against expats, legally having UCD plates then you must be against them having Seguro Popular and likely IMSS as they too are generally for the poor.

Since I don't have a car, I have no opinion on the UCD plates brou-ha-ha. However, I do know some expats and many more middle-class Mexicans who depend on IMSS for their health insurance.

AlanMexicali

Mar 9, 2013, 4:00 AM

Post #7 of 12 (5044 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Lovingmexico] Nationalizing out of country vehicles (again/more)...

In Reply To
1. Several expats were at the huge UCD meeting with the new Mexican president shortly he took office and again with the new Governor of Guanajuato as recent as early February. This issue came up and one of their main objectives as similar nationalizing of UCD type plated vehicles in several states are allowed and for a low fee. I'd be surprised if I did not count at least 10 UCd plated vehicles in a day, mostly from Guanajuato but we have seen similar plates from other states. The government is very aware expats have UCD plates as well as many Mexicans with some very nice, expensive vehicles. Several friends have them and one American couple we know drive from SMA to their other resort in PV several times a year with UCD plates and never an issue.

I am not against people who reside in Mexico getting IMSS or Seguro Popular as this is medical care. I have ISSSTE and use it. Good for Mexico for providing these.

I am not against expats paying a small fee to drive a "Chocolate". What I did state was my wife feels those that do have no claim of being a legitimate Campesino and feel that penny pinching is a fun thing to do, "Do stick out like a sore thumb." Implying they are advertising the fact by having cardboard UC of SLP plates they are poor and cannot afford what "normal" citizens can afford. I tend to agree with her. Alan

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Mar 9, 2013, 7:44 AM)

jackak10

Mar 9, 2013, 6:14 AM

Post #8 of 12 (5005 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
A little personal info --

I am not one of those people who believes that I am entitled to any special treatment just because I am from The Great White North. I just happen to have a little car that I have been driving here for the last four years and I really like it. If the final judgement is that I have to take it to the border and dump it, I will. But I would rather not. Whatever the laws are, I go along. I'm just a stranger in a strange land.

I've had lots of cool cars in my life, maybe this was the last one.

AlanMexicali

Mar 10, 2013, 4:44 AM

Post #9 of 12 (4814 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I am not against people who reside in Mexico getting IMSS or Seguro Popular as this is medical care. I have ISSSTE and use it. Good for Mexico for providing these.

I am not against expats paying a small fee to drive a "Chocolate". What I did state was my wife feels those that do have no claim of being a legitimate Campesino and feel that penny pinching is a fun thing to do, "Do stick out like a sore thumb." Implying they are advertising the fact by having cardboard UC of SLP plates they are poor and cannot afford what "normal" citizens can afford. I tend to agree with her. Alan

I saw another cardboard plate yesterday and it has large red letters on top with Union Campesina Democratica with also large letters with San Luis Potosi printed under the numbers in the plate. The same national organization is here also. Both cars were NAFTA built. Alan

Sculptari

Mar 10, 2013, 1:28 PM

Post #10 of 12 (4717 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
ONAPAFFA is the largest organization who legalizes cars and trucks, as well as a vehicle identification system to deter theft. They have offices all over, but not Guadalajara. The office in Puerto Vallarta regularly advertises in the local Spanish newspapers, with a 2 by 3 inch ad, that they legalize imported vehicles. There is no mention that only canecutters and ranchito owners need apply!
no longer active on Mexconnect

Axixic

Mar 10, 2013, 5:30 PM

Post #11 of 12 (4657 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sculptari] Nationalizing out of country vehicles (again/more)...

This site shows an office at Lagos de Moreno.

http://onappafa.net/oficinas.php

This site advises against using it:

http://www.mexicolegal.biz/...onsulta.php?id=39679

(This post was edited by Rolly on Mar 10, 2013, 7:11 PM)

AlanMexicali

Mar 10, 2013, 5:45 PM

Post #12 of 12 (4652 views)

Shortcut

I saw another cardboard plate yesterday and it has large red letters on top with Union Campesina Democratica with also large letters with San Luis Potosi printed under the numbers in the plate. The same national organization is here also. Both cars were NAFTA built. Alan

Correction I saw another UCD cardboard plate today, another NAFTA built car, 3 in total so far and the NUMBERS are red, The wording is in black.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4