Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

bgracie

Mar 5, 2013, 10:45 AM

Post #1 of 4 (2628 views)

Shortcut

Prepaid cell phone for visit?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Myself and my sister and brother in law coming down this week (we hope to move permanently in near future), and I want to get a cell phone for my brother in law (it's his first visit to mexico) to use while there, for emergencies (I can use my US based cellphone, pricey but possible).

Is it possible to get a prepaid cellphone for him there, or would it be better to get something here (in the States, I'm in San Diego area), and just get a sim card there?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this answer is in a sticky somewhere, I couldn't find anything recent.

joaquinx

Mar 5, 2013, 11:18 AM

Post #2 of 4 (2619 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bgracie] Prepaid cell phone for visit?

SIMs for unlocked cell phones are 150+ pesos. Cheap cell with SIM around 500 pesos, but some are cheaper. They'll come with 100 or so pesos of time. Buy more time at Oxxo, supermarkets, some ATM's , etc

Just don't buy one from a vendor on the street. Some vendors want a passport. Some don't.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

bgracie

Mar 5, 2013, 11:21 AM

Post #3 of 4 (2609 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Prepaid cell phone for visit?

thank you! Which stores cell these phones ?

joaquinx

Mar 5, 2013, 11:29 AM

Post #4 of 4 (2607 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bgracie] Prepaid cell phone for visit?

I would recommend a Telcel vendor and they are everywhere. It'll say Telcel on the front of the store. Telcel has the best coverage.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4