Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18 Next page Last page  View All

YucaLandia

Feb 24, 2013, 2:19 PM

Post #201 of 443 (29469 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MaryPat] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply

In Reply To
I also had a similar experience last week. I live in Quintana Roo and our INM office is in Chetumal. I and my husband have had FM3's (no inmigrante/rentista-no lucrativa) since September 2004. Six years with the green "passport" type books and the past 3 years with the plastic cards. I went to INM to check what was the earliest date I could apply for residente permanente. The INM office worker looked in the computer and said not for another year. She said there was no record of my first 6 years with the "green booklet" in their computer.
Questions: Have people in other states experienced similar situations? Is it Federal INM policy that only the time on the plastic cards will be applied to whether we can apply for residente temporal or permanente?
I plan on going into the INM office next week again to speak with another person--but if this is standard policy I don't want to waste my time and energy.
Any thoughts?
Thank you
Mary Pat

We have the same experience here. The INM offices seem to only keep the records related to your current permit.

Is it Federal INM policy that only the time on the plastic cards will be applied to whether we can apply for residente temporal or permanente?

This statement/question is neither fully true nor fully false.
INM's policy is to count the time you have completed on your current INM permit. i.e. Since the cards have only been in use for 2 or 3 years (depending on when you renew), many of us started with the green books, and then were given cards on our current INM permits. This means we could have completed 4 years total now, qualifying for Residente Permanente now, while counting 2 years using the old FM3 booklets and 2 years on the FM3 cards - as long as we had no breaks and no fines on our current No Immigrante (FM3) permit.

What is the expiration date on your current card?
What does the back of your card say about Prorroga years?

These 2 items are key to: when you can apply under INM's new law, and for which permit you qualify.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Feb 24, 2013, 2:28 PM)

MaryPat

Feb 24, 2013, 2:39 PM

Post #202 of 443 (29452 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Current expiration date on back of cards is 25/8-2013
Back of card states Prorroga 2.
Mary Pat

careyeroslib

Feb 27, 2013, 12:28 PM

Post #203 of 443 (29273 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
My experience with the Puerto Vallarta office (so far)

We submitted our documents for Residente Permanente one day after our 3 refrendo of Inmigrante expired (as we were advised to do by the agent), on Jan. 29th.

On Monday, Feb. 25th, we received the online message to "presentarse" at Migracíon. We did so today and were fingerprinted, etc. The Agent told us to return in three weeks for our cards. There would be no further online messages. This would make the total time app. 7 weeks (assuming the cards arrive in 3 weeks).

Note: Unfortunately, the same day, we also had to trámite for a Permisio de salida y regreso (covered under a separate thread) as we have to leave the country for 2 weeks, leaving in less than 2 weeks. I reported on what they wanted in a separate thread.

nomore

Feb 27, 2013, 1:17 PM

Post #204 of 443 (29266 views)

Shortcut

Re: [careyeroslib] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

|
My wife received her card in less than 2 weeks. I will have waited 3 weeks this Friday. It is true that the website is no longer updated as to when the card is ready for pickup but here, Cuernavaca, they did call my wife and tell her to come in.

I have this theory that cards come in once a week. She got lucky, Me not so much.

KarenK

Mar 4, 2013, 1:50 PM

Post #205 of 443 (29076 views)

Shortcut

Re: [S & C] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Hola all. New to this forum, which is very informative, and I wanted to share our recent INM experience. We live in Playa del Carmen (our INM office here is notorious, and has had management changed a few times over the last few years, most recently last month). Our FM-3 non-lucrativa had 4 renewals (including two renewals of the old green paper one), and we were told we had to apply for Permanent Resident. I think we just got lucky in the timing of the new laws.

Paperwork was easy for us, the usual letter and application, proof of income in the form of a translated updated pension letter, three months of Bancomer statements showing we deposited $1500USD/month, which was the old rule. That's about it, really, so it shows that the rules are being applied differently in different offices. They have never, in five years, asked us if we own this condo, which we have owned for ten years.

Start to finish: ten weeks. 1000 pesos each to submit the application, then 3800 pesos each for the visa. It really is valid indefinitely, until they change the laws or until we change our address. I can hardly believe that we don't have to go to immigration next December, or the next. So hang in there fellow applicants! It can happen.

CanGuy78

Mar 4, 2013, 2:10 PM

Post #206 of 443 (29074 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Johnarnold] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Hola! Has ANYBODY received a temporary visa the "new way" ..ie...began at a Mexican consul office then arrived in Mexico to exchange the passport special tourist visa for thier Temporay visa? I arrived here in Mazatlan and applied November 28. ..and still waiting.....

I will be starting the process here in Canada on Thursday. Hopefully things go smoothly.

I am moving to DF so I hope things go as easily there as at the outlying offices in other places. I speak very little Spanish, but will be power-drilling before I go to the office.

Does anyone have experience with the INM office in DF?

Regarding proof if income. Will pay stubs combined with a deposit statement from my bank be sufficient? Advice would be nice here.

(This post was edited by CanGuy78 on Mar 4, 2013, 2:14 PM)

La Isla

Mar 4, 2013, 6:22 PM

Post #207 of 443 (29045 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CanGuy78] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
I've lived in Mexico City for 5 and a half years and have a No Inmigrante lucrativa visa with 4 prórrogas. The INM office here is big and crowded. In the last couple of years, it has become more efficient and easier to deal with. Of course, with all the new rules finally in place, who knows what it will be like when I go to change to Residente Permanente in about a month. I've never had to supply proof of income since I have a visa that allows me to work in Mexico.

CanGuy78

Mar 4, 2013, 6:46 PM

Post #208 of 443 (29035 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply

In Reply To
I've lived in Mexico City for 5 and a half years and have a No Inmigrante lucrativa visa with 4 prórrogas. The INM office here is big and crowded. In the last couple of years, it has become more efficient and easier to deal with. Of course, with all the new rules finally in place, who knows what it will be like when I go to change to Residente Permanente in about a month. I've never had to supply proof of income since I have a visa that allows me to work in Mexico.

Thanks good to know. I'll be applying for a lucrativa as well as I would like to work legally.

Will be be able to add the working bit onto my visa easily once I start the process? The company I am going to work for will provide the required letter, but not until I arrive, so I don't think I can start my process here as a working visa, only as a non-working visa.

If anyone has clarification on this it would be appreciated, as the guidelines listed are vague on this and the pre-application that I have to take to the Consulate with me list lucrativa as a type of visa to apply for, however I have no letter of employment from the company until I arrive.

La Isla

Mar 4, 2013, 6:54 PM

Post #209 of 443 (29029 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I think it would make things easier for you if the company you will be working for could give you the letter before you get here. They may not be aware of how much things have changed at INM in the last few months. It used to be fairly easy to change the kind of visa you have once you were here, but that may not be the case anymore. I work as a free-lance English teacher, so my experiences won't be of much use to you, I'm afraid.

CanGuy78

Mar 4, 2013, 7:46 PM

Post #210 of 443 (29021 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
I think it would make things easier for you if the company you will be working for could give you the letter before you get here. They may not be aware of how much things have changed at INM in the last few months. It used to be fairly easy to change the kind of visa you have once you were here, but that may not be the case anymore. I work as a free-lance English teacher, so my experiences won't be of much use to you, I'm afraid.

I am actually going to be doing something similar. Though I will be working in a private school as well, at least initially.

La Isla

Mar 4, 2013, 8:10 PM

Post #211 of 443 (29014 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I have contacts with lots of expat English teachers in the D.F. Send me a PM if you'd be interested in getting together once you've arrived.

Johnarnold

Mar 4, 2013, 9:38 PM

Post #212 of 443 (29004 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Just picked up my 2 year Temporal today. Took 1/2 hour. The online checking site said my papers never got past Colima. I was notified by email

Sparks..my INM in Mazatlan rescinded a previous offer of a 4 year temorary resident card and could ONLY offer me one year. I am brand new to Mexico with zero,prior years of living here. How about you?

sparks

Mar 5, 2013, 7:00 AM

Post #213 of 443 (28971 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Johnarnold] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
I just finished year 7. 5 on an FM3 and 2 on a No Inmigrante. That's why I was offered 2 more.

I've heard of a few newcomers only getting a one year

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Rolly

Mar 5, 2013, 7:23 AM

Post #214 of 443 (28962 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
INM changed the rules and is now allowing only a one-year RT for those who applied at a consulate.
This rule change seems to put a 4 year card out of reach for everyone.

Rolly Pirate

Johnarnold

Mar 5, 2013, 7:55 AM

Post #215 of 443 (28955 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thanks for that confirmation Rolly.,up until now I was feeling a little left out!

La Isla

Mar 5, 2013, 1:16 PM

Post #216 of 443 (28905 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
  This morning I finally made it to INM in Mexico City to find out what I'd need to do when my current No Inmigrante visa expires in May. When I walked into the building, I received a number (240) and was asked to take a seat and wait for it to be called. When I sat down, they were calling number 275. Of course, I'd brought a book to pass the time, and in about 45 minutes my number was called. A very pleasant young woman helped me with my questions. Since my card has 4 prórrogas, she told me that I am eligible to apply for Residente Permanente status (!!) and could start the trámites exactly 30 days before my current visa expires in May. Since I have permission to work, I won't have to present any sort of financial statements, nor will I have to show proof of having recently paid taxes to the Mexican government, which I've had to do in the past. The total cost for changing my status to RP will be $4815. $1000 when I turn in all the required documentation and photos and the rest when my new card is ready to be picked. After that I won't ever have to return to INM unless I get married (that isn't going to happen!) or move. I feel much relieved and can now focus on other pressing tasks, like signing up with IMSS and going to the dentist. I wonder which of these will be more painful :-)-

CanGuy78

Mar 6, 2013, 3:24 AM

Post #217 of 443 (28840 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
INM changed the rules and is now allowing only a one-year RT for those who applied at a consulate.
This rule change seems to put a 4 year card out of reach for everyone.

As a first timer am I to understand this means I can only apply for 1 year at the start and then renew each year as opposed to paying for all 4 years at once?

Rolly

Mar 6, 2013, 8:23 AM

Post #218 of 443 (28806 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Your first RT can only be for one year.
At the renewal time, you have the option of paying for the next three years.

Rolly Pirate

KarenK

Mar 6, 2013, 8:52 AM

Post #219 of 443 (28796 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
We had to pay the 3815 pesos at the final submission appointment, NOT at the end of the process. The money was paid at the appointment BEFORE we got our fingerprints and handed in photos. From that point it was four weeks to delivery.

La Isla

Mar 6, 2013, 8:54 AM

Post #220 of 443 (28791 views)

Shortcut

Re: [KarenK] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply

In Reply To
We had to pay the 3815 pesos at the final submission appointment, NOT at the end of the process. The money was paid at the appointment BEFORE we got our fingerprints and handed in photos. From that point it was four weeks to delivery.

That sounds right. Sorry if my account was not as accurate as it should have been.

jwp_007

Mar 6, 2013, 4:35 PM

Post #221 of 443 (28738 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
My wife and I went to the Manzanillo IMM office today ( March 6) to renew our immigration status.
We both had FM3 cards ( 1 year) due for renewal before March 27. We presented copies of our passports, FM3 cards (front and back) and 6 months of bank statements. The IMM agent gave us options for 1, 2, or 3 year renewal and the standard costs, temporary resident. She called her manager over and after a short conversation they told us we also had the option for Permanent Residency. The agent asked if we had a foreign plated car – if so it would be illegal to drive it with the permanent resident status. We don't have a car here so we selected the permanent resident option. She said we needed to email her another 6 months of bank statements but we could start the process immediately. We went to the bank and paid the $4815 peso fee. When we returned we asked for and email address to send the bank statements – she said no problem they really didn't need them – not to bother.
We were fingerprinted and told she would email us when our cards arrived, probably the 1st week in April – after Easter week. Total time at IMM was about 30 minutes, the line to pay at the bank took longer. Altogether a pleasant and painless process.We are very happy to be able to do this in only 2 trips.

sparks

Mar 7, 2013, 4:52 AM

Post #222 of 443 (28681 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwp_007] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Interesting ... did they tell you why you qualified for permanent. They didn't offer it to me there

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

CanGuy78

Mar 7, 2013, 5:18 AM

Post #223 of 443 (28674 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

About to head to my appointment at the Mexican Consulate in Toronto. Wish me luck.

jwp_007

Mar 7, 2013, 6:33 PM

Post #224 of 443 (28584 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Interesting ... did they tell you why you qualified for permanent. They didn't offer it to me there

Scott - they said the income requirements were 33,000 pesos / month
I assume this was for both myself and my wife.
My wife and I do not share last names - but were not asked for any marriage documents.

TedZar

Mar 9, 2013, 7:22 PM

Post #225 of 443 (28451 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwp_007] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
So when I read all this, I wonder is there any reason why one would apply for the temporary versus permanent visa if you have the financial wherewithal to qualify? Do they decide at the consulate what you are eligible for? Or can you chose? Assuming of course you have the funds.
First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4