Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

Baja13

Mar 3, 2013, 7:32 PM

Post #1 of 15 (12809 views)

Shortcut

Telcel vs Movistar Internet

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm trying to figure out if Movistar or Telcel Internet would work best for me.
I would like stick with pre-paid service for my IPad. I would love to hear from anyone with experience with either. I think I might need around 15 GB per month. Thanks!

johanson / Moderator

Mar 4, 2013, 5:53 AM

Post #2 of 15 (12777 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Baja13] Telcel vs Movistar Internet

I only know that at one time, Movie Star did not have as many towers therefore as good coverage. But the prices were lower. I understand that while Telcel and Movie Star are 3G, (slower internet) that Iusacell (spelling?) has 4G in many areas which means faster internet speed.

Where I live. We have Telmex ADSL, Telecable, and Lagunanet fixed WiFi which are all much cheaper than Cellphone internet.

(This post was edited by johanson on Mar 4, 2013, 9:53 AM)

sparks

Mar 4, 2013, 7:09 AM

Post #3 of 15 (12769 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Baja13] Telcel vs Movistar Internet

Need to check with others in your area that have CEL service. I wanted to use Iusacell because they are cheaper and have 4G while Telcel is 3G .... but reception is bad here.

I have a 10gig Telcel contract that costs about 600 pesos a month

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

sfmacaws

Mar 4, 2013, 11:51 PM

Post #4 of 15 (12701 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Telcel vs Movistar Internet

All the signs in the Telcel offices here say that 4G LTE is now available. I don't know if the LTE means it is different than plain 4G? Or, if it is everywhere or just here in Merida?

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

johanson / Moderator

Mar 5, 2013, 6:00 AM

Post #5 of 15 (12688 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Telcel vs Movistar Internet

That's good to hear. We only have 3G along the shores of Lake Chapala. But then again my iPhone 4 can't pick up 4G even if it were available here.

hodamayo

Mar 5, 2013, 7:55 AM

Post #6 of 15 (12676 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Telcel vs Movistar Internet

LTE which is the same as 4G means Long Term Evolution. You can log into the telcel site and look for coverage and it will show you which cities have 4G, Merida is one of them. We are waiting here in Cancun, but it will also show you that in 2013 all major cities should have 4G. I too am waiting on it to happen here.
Mike Mayo
hodamayo@hotmail.com
998 147 2532 Telcel
832 861 5106 Vonage
Facebook.USsatelliteTV.com

RickS

Mar 5, 2013, 8:07 PM

Post #7 of 15 (12635 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hodamayo] Telcel vs Movistar Internet

Technically all 4G is not LTE, but all LTE is 4G. In other words there is a version of 4G that is faster than 3G, but is not as fast as 4G/LTE.

hodamayo

Mar 6, 2013, 7:08 AM

Post #8 of 15 (12607 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Telcel vs Movistar Internet

Sounds like you are a Poet RickS. Yes that is too bad that the iphone 4 is not LTE capable, I got my iphone 5 from telcel for 500 pesos along with the 2 year contract. LTE should be in this area this year and according to the Telcel site all of Mexico should be up on LTE this year. Others are out there offering their LTE services, but they have terrible coverage. I just like the idea that I can use facetime with our iphones when doing jobs and I am away from the site and can point to my helpers what needs to be done.
Mike Mayo
hodamayo@hotmail.com
998 147 2532 Telcel
832 861 5106 Vonage
Facebook.USsatelliteTV.com

RickS

Mar 6, 2013, 7:46 AM

Post #9 of 15 (12601 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hodamayo] Telcel vs Movistar Internet

"too bad that the iphone 4 is not LTE capable."

And unfortunately neither is the iphone 4S.....

joaquinx

Mar 6, 2013, 8:35 AM

Post #10 of 15 (12591 views)

Shortcut

Telcel vs Movistar Internet

Ok. For what do we need a high-speed internet connection on an iPhone/Android? Video calls? If it's necessary, I'll opt for one.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

RickS

Mar 6, 2013, 8:39 AM

Post #11 of 15 (12588 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Telcel vs Movistar Internet

One reason might be to utilize its capability to act as a wifi hot-spot.... my wife's iPad 3 has that feature so when we travel I can hook into her 4G/LTE speeds on my laptop.

joaquinx

Mar 6, 2013, 8:46 AM

Post #12 of 15 (12581 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
One reason might be to utilize its capability to act as a wifi hot-spot.... my wife's iPad 3 has that feature so when we travel I can hook into her 4G/LTE speeds on my laptop.

Ok. But it's not a cell phone and wouldn't it be cheaper to find a free wifi cafe?
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

RickS

Mar 6, 2013, 8:52 AM

Post #13 of 15 (12579 views)

Shortcut

"wouldn't it be cheaper to find a free wifi cafe?"

Hard to find a free or otherwise Internet cafe when one is in the comfort of their RV at night out in the boonies.... whereas cellular is available under those circumstances.

It works for us. Your mileage may vary.

joaquinx

Mar 6, 2013, 9:04 AM

Post #14 of 15 (12576 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
"wouldn't it be cheaper to find a free wifi cafe?"

Hard to find a free or otherwise Internet cafe when one is in the comfort of their RV at night out in the boonies.... whereas cellular is available under those circumstances.

It works for us. Your mileage may vary.

Sounds like a good plan to me, but wouldn't 2G/3G work as well. After all, 1 or 2 pesos a megabyte can rack up a good fee on some web sites. Yet, it is better than no connection at all. I tend to stay in urban areas rather than the boonies. :)
_______

sparks

Mar 6, 2013, 12:26 PM

Post #15 of 15 (12556 views)

Shortcut

My year and a half old Iphone 3S from Telcel (they saw me coming) can't be a Hotspot. I like the idea but have no use for an Internet phone ... too small. I'll cancel Interrnet on that and stick with my CEL modem

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4