Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

gringoinlagos

Feb 18, 2013, 11:06 AM

Post #1 of 9 (9844 views)

Shortcut

Prescription Medications

Can't Post | Private Reply
Taking a flight from the US into Mexico - cant seem to find a definite answer on how I can handle my bringing in prescription meds - any help?

joaquinx

Feb 18, 2013, 11:33 AM

Post #2 of 9 (9836 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dustdevil775] Prescription Medications

Original containers with prescriptions. You'll need that more when you return to the US.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

gringoinlagos

Feb 18, 2013, 2:24 PM

Post #3 of 9 (9799 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Prescription Medications

Thanx for the reply - btw - how about vitamin supplements - again thanx - Charlie

joaquinx

Feb 18, 2013, 2:31 PM

Post #4 of 9 (9794 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dustdevil775] Prescription Medications

In Reply To
Thanx for the reply - btw - how about vitamin supplements - again thanx - Charlie

Those that have brought supplements to Mexico brought them in the original containers and they brought in a large supply.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

gringoinlagos

Feb 18, 2013, 3:00 PM

Post #5 of 9 (9781 views)

Shortcut

Again - Thank You !

robt65

Feb 21, 2013, 10:35 AM

Post #6 of 9 (9665 views)

Shortcut

Well now,

Lets see. i have lived here now both in Tamaulipas and in Queretaro and have driven back and forth across the border about 5 to times a year. I have a list of medications to take including some controlled substances. I have to take a large supply each time I go NOB as well as SOB. While I do carry the original bottles with the prescription labels on them, I also have (two weekly (AM - PM) small cases with various (6 for morning and seven for evening) in each small compartmental plastic boxes, and hae never been once asked one question about the meds. I keep them in plain sight on top of my baggage and have been inspected at some checkpoints along the way by military as well as both federales and various municipal police. I have only one time near San Fernando, been asked about my meds by any Mexican authority.

Although I do have the labels on the original bottles with me, I have never once entering the USA be it, Matamoros, Reynosa or Laredo been asked any questions about my meds. Even the unmarked weekly containers are never questioned. Frankly, it is difficult to believe. Some of my perscriptions are congtrolled and the Border Patrols drug dogs have passed them right by!

I cannot say the same if traveling by plane as I have always driven.

Regards,
Robt65

RickS

Feb 21, 2013, 2:38 PM

Post #7 of 9 (9646 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Prescription Medications

"I cannot say the same if traveling by plane.."

While I don't take near the meds that robt65 does (thank goodness!), I do ALWAYS cross the border, flying or driving, with something of the prescription nature. Always in the original prescription bottle. Been doing that 'regularly' since 1998.

Regardless of the mode of travel, and regardless of whether it is entering Mexico or back into the United States I have NEVER had anyone ask about meds. Never. And no one has ever 'picked them out' and looked at the bottles. I guess there is always that possibility but so are my chances of winning the Lotto!

johanson

Feb 21, 2013, 5:33 PM

Post #8 of 9 (9622 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Prescription Medications

I've had the same luck as the two above. And I have been going back and forth from/to Guadalajara and Vancouver, BC or Seattle WA since 1997. I always worry that sometime someone will want to check my medicines. But so far, no one has said anything. Now yes I do carry all but a few days supply of my meds in my check in luggage, and yes upon occasion my luggage had a message in it saying it was searched by US authorities, but I have no idea why it was searched. And yes, I include a copy of the Rx for each med with the meds. But never a problem. That hasn't always been the case though with some of the electronics I have brought into Mexico

YucaLandia

Feb 22, 2013, 8:01 AM

Post #9 of 9 (9560 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Prescription Medications

While entering Mexico with friends 30 months ago, using a pickup truck toting a 16 ft trailer through the #2 Laredo crossing, Aduana agents asked us to open the trailer doors and poked around the back of the load. The first box had a small ziplock bag full of about 12 slightly-worn bottles of prescription meds - all with original labels - no duplicates - sitting on top in easy view. They insisted on confiscating this bag of meds, so a 10 minute discussion ensued because the owners had no separate written prescriptions with them. The Adana agents remained firm but reasonable in their insistence that we must have "a written prescription for each different medication"

I was very convinced that the meds were going to be lost, until the wife pointed at a noticeably withered and sunken part of her husband's leg - and basically told them that he was a pitiful old man who really needed the medications.

That turned the trick.

They hesitated, then weakly repeated that they had to take the meds. She briefly gently pleaded, saying he really needed the meds because of his obviously bad leg. They then looked at each other, shrugged, had us open a few more boxes, and waved us to close the doors.

So, the ultimate result was that the medications were not confiscated, but it really did take the visible evidence of an enfermidad, and inducing pity in the agent's minds.

If you really need the medication, then readers might choose to follow the rules: Carry a copy of the written prescription for each medication.

Is it really a big deal to make copies of prescriptions before filling them, if you really need to bring the med into Mexico?

Sure, we can hope that the Customs Agents will not follow the rules, and allow us to slide-by, but do we hope the same thing for routine foreigners entering Canada and the USA? Do we hope that all foreigners will be allowed to regularly and routinely break Canadian and US immigration and customs rules due to lax enforcement by Canadian and US border patrol agents?

Sauce for the goose?

To each his own. I just find it easier and less stressful to follow reasonable rules.
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4