Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

soulpatch

Feb 15, 2013, 9:31 AM

Post #1 of 21 (13479 views)

Shortcut

Patzcuaro?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Since a lot of the country migrates to the coast around Easter we are thinking of doing a trip to Patzcuaro as a family.
I have young kids and I want them to have a good time with their folks!
Might be a great time to see the interior.
If you all have any suggestions on where to stay or if I should explore another locale I'd be grateful.
We also travel with our dog.

We would like to go to Oaxaca City but we will save that for summer time when we can drive a bit more leisurely.

esperanza

Feb 15, 2013, 10:48 AM

Post #2 of 21 (13454 views)

Shortcut

Re: [soulpatch] Patzcuaro?

This is a lovely, quiet place just off the large plaza: http://www.lacasaencantada.com/ It's pet friendly, depending on the pet of course.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

soulpatch

Feb 15, 2013, 1:16 PM

Post #3 of 21 (13432 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Patzcuaro?

We are also considering Morelia.... we'll see!

Anonimo

Feb 16, 2013, 1:26 PM

Post #4 of 21 (13376 views)

Shortcut

Pátzcuaro gets very busy during Semana Santa. If you plan to come, book lodging immediately.

Saludos,
Anonimo

soulpatch

Feb 16, 2013, 1:28 PM

Post #5 of 21 (13372 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Patzcuaro?

Eh, we're even thinking of Guanajato.... lots of private suggestions.

sioux4noff

Feb 16, 2013, 8:53 PM

Post #6 of 21 (13335 views)

Shortcut

Why not stay put and enjoy the holidays there at the beach. It's a sight to be seen, for sure.

soulpatch

Feb 17, 2013, 6:27 AM

Post #7 of 21 (13305 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Patzcuaro?

Yeah, indeed! However.... we've seen it in baja a number of times... I guess we will see.
There is a big capoiera batizado at the end of March here that we will be participating in so that leaves us some time here and some time to head out.

esperanza

Feb 17, 2013, 8:36 AM

Post #8 of 21 (13289 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
There is a big capoiera batizado at the end of March...

What's that, please?

sioux4noff

Feb 17, 2013, 12:04 PM

Post #9 of 21 (13256 views)

Shortcut

Having your own home to take refuge in, and seeing how your new home town celebrates the holiday peeriod is well worthwhile in my opinion. As well as making for ssome great photo ops.

chicois8

Feb 17, 2013, 5:39 PM

Post #10 of 21 (13228 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Yeah, indeed! However.... we've seen it in baja a number of times... I guess we will see.
There is a big capoiera batizado at the end of March here that we will be participating in so that leaves us some time here and some time to head out.

Just make sure you stock up on everything, gas,food, water,etc.
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

sioux4noff

Feb 17, 2013, 9:38 PM

Post #11 of 21 (13204 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Patzcuaro?

Having spent 7 years of Semana Santa's in Bucerias, I can honestly say that the days of having to stock up are gone.
Within 5 miles of our house we have 3 large stores (Mega, Walmart, Chedraui) and half a dozen Pemexstations. Also a bunch of Oxxos and Kioskos.
The stores may be busy, and the roasted chickens and tortillas sell fast, you don't have to go without anything.
The gas trucks still come by, as do the water trucks. City water service is fine.
I like seeing the crowds enjoying the beach and the town, but am happy I can go to my nice quiet house when I've had enough.

(This post was edited by sioux4noff on Feb 17, 2013, 9:39 PM)

soulpatch

Feb 18, 2013, 6:21 AM

Post #12 of 21 (13176 views)

Shortcut

http://www.abadacapoeiranayarit.com/

chicois8

Feb 18, 2013, 6:35 AM

Post #13 of 21 (13167 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Patzcuaro?

In Reply To
Having spent 7 years of Semana Santa's in Bucerias, I can honestly say that the days of having to stock up are gone.
Within 5 miles of our house we have 3 large stores (Mega, Walmart, Chedraui) and half a dozen Pemexstations. Also a bunch of Oxxos and Kioskos.
The stores may be busy, and the roasted chickens and tortillas sell fast, you don't have to go without anything.
The gas trucks still come by, as do the water trucks. City water service is fine.
I like seeing the crowds enjoying the beach and the town, but am happy I can
go to my nice quiet house when I've had enough.

Just remember Sue the OP is in San Pancho not in Bucerias, I am in Guayabitos and traffic is backed up for miles,shelfs empty and people everywhere...
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

sioux4noff

Feb 18, 2013, 6:37 AM

Post #14 of 21 (13167 views)

Shortcut

soulpatch, thanks for that link. Interesting.

esperanza

Feb 18, 2013, 6:43 AM

Post #15 of 21 (13162 views)

Shortcut

Soulpatch, you started my day out with a bang! I had obviously never heard of capoeira, much less the batizado, and am grateful to you for teaching me something new. Thanks so much, enjoy it.

Vichil

Feb 18, 2013, 7:33 AM

Post #16 of 21 (13155 views)

Shortcut

funny we saw capoeira on the streets in Paris performed by Eastern Europeans. We had never heard of it but the 14 year old who was with us, knew all about it. Our age is showing...

Gri-lango

Feb 20, 2013, 2:14 PM

Post #17 of 21 (13032 views)

Shortcut

The country migrates to all tourist spots, not just coasts.

Patzcuaro will be very busy, as will virtually all tourist "hot" spots (inland or coast).

DF is relatively empty during SS, IMO, it's the best time to visit DF.

deaconmoss

Mar 8, 2013, 5:33 PM

Post #18 of 21 (12630 views)

Shortcut

Thought I would ask if there are more suggestions for lodging in Patzcuaro. We are traveling from the coast in the middle of April and want to stay for a week and maybe at a couple of places. Looking for economy prices. Don't need super luxurious type lodging, just colorful and tidy and tranquil? Any suggestions welcomed.

Anonimo

Mar 9, 2013, 8:57 AM

Post #19 of 21 (12583 views)

Shortcut

Re: [deaconmoss] Patzcuaro?

A few examples, just one of several: Posada de Los Ángeles, Callejón Títere, Centro Pátzcuaro. http://tinyurl.com/yz4nxrl

Posada Camelinas, just off Calle Ahumada and Calle Lloreda.

Posada Mandala, http://tinyurl.com/yz4nxrl, Calle Lerín.

Posda San Juan de Dios,on the 1 block street of that name, between Romero and Tena. Cheap and appears clean.

However, there's no guarantee that these won't fill up just as the more expensive ones do.

Understand that I have not stayed in any of those hotels, but I have visited them and looked at the rooms (except Posada Camelinas. Friends stayed there a few years ago and liked it.)

Saludos,
Anonimo

(This post was edited by Anonimo on Mar 9, 2013, 8:59 AM)

mazbeach

Apr 4, 2013, 8:48 AM

Post #20 of 21 (12106 views)

Shortcut

I'm a bit tardy with this, but have stayed at La Casa Encantada and highly recommend it. Cynthia and Victoria are wonderful hosts and the staff is the best I have ever encountered, north or south of the border. There is even a pension across the street where you can park your vehiclle for free. You are easy walking distance to just about everything.

Larry

soulpatch

Aug 6, 2013, 7:27 AM

Post #21 of 21 (10747 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbeach] Patzcuaro?

Weeeeelllll,
Never made it up there!
However, my wife is heading north with my son to visit grandma for about two weeks and with the summer in full force I am thinking of a very loosely agendized trip up to San Sebastion Oeste, maybe Mascota, and then on to Patzcuaro and then working back to San Pancho..... we may do a little camping.... or not! if I can negotiate a cheap and clean bed.
My dog will sleep in the car since he thinks that is is house when we are on the road.
Haha, we must be on Mexico time now that all the immigration and importation of vehicles is done.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4