Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

RickS

Feb 10, 2013, 10:11 AM

Post #1 of 10 (4915 views)

Shortcut

Carretera a El Salto....

Can't Post | Private Reply
..... or something similar. Did a Search but didn't see anything recent.

When I leave Lake Chapala heading towards Lagos de Moreno it is usually at early-morning high traffic time in Guadalajara. I recall there being a 'new short cut' from the Carretera a Chapala over to the vicinity of Zapotlanejo, going 'through' El Salto. I've never taken it.

I also seem to recall some posts saying..... DON'T, maybe because of 'bad cops' or incomplete road or something.

Is there a 'first hand' update on taking this route.....or not?

chinagringo

Feb 10, 2013, 10:27 AM

Post #2 of 10 (4909 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Carretera a El Salto....

Rick:

While there were reports of a few drivers having trouble with either fake or rogue cops, that type of activity seems to have died off. Here is a video that I shot driving this route from Chapala to Tonala in August of 2011:
http://youtu.be/4hqy3A28CIE

It does save time and hassle since you totally bypass the heavy congestion around El Tapatio, and with the highway towards Tonala.

There is a rumored new beltline going south of the city that will connect with this highway but the last article I read said that they were still in the process of purchasing all the necessary land.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

(This post was edited by chinagringo on Feb 10, 2013, 10:29 AM)

RickS

Feb 10, 2013, 5:34 PM

Post #3 of 10 (4867 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Carretera a El Salto....

Thanks, Neil.

However your destination was Tonala and I see how that can work. But my destination is east on 80 out towards the toll road to Lagos. Using your video and using Google Map 'street level', I do not see how one can get on 80 East. There is no entry onto 80 on your route.... one can go over it into Tonala but can't go east from that intersection.

Farther back down on your route it would appear, using Google Map, that one could 'take a right' onto the Libre a Zapotlanejo but Google street level (at the time it was 'filmed') does not show any exit onto the libre going east, only west like you went.

Has anyone been out that way 'lately' and made it to around Zapltlanejo, after going 'under' 15D, where one can then get on 80D up towards Lagos?

chinagringo

Feb 10, 2013, 6:47 PM

Post #4 of 10 (4856 views)

Shortcut

Rick:

You caught me since I have never hooked up to the cuota but I do know there is a method to do so. Based upon our experience last August (2012), they have changed a number of things along this stretch of highway. We will be traveling along this stretch of highway this month and I will see what I can figure out.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

tashby

Feb 10, 2013, 8:35 PM

Post #5 of 10 (4846 views)

Shortcut

People are definitely doing it and using that newish road to avoid Guadalajara and get to Zapotlanejo and points beyond. There's some bit of patchwork involved, right where you've identified. Sorry, I can't help because I've never driven it.

I just don't find it that difficult to get through Guadalajara (most of the time), so have never had reason to suffer the learning curve sine I don't drive to Texas, or wherever.

DavidHF

Feb 11, 2013, 3:58 AM

Post #6 of 10 (4830 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Carretera a El Salto....

We've used that road twice; once we found ourselves in Zaponlaneo and seemed to have no choice but to drive all the way thru it, the second time we found our way to the Cuota but it was difficult. Do not go straight into Zaponlaneo, rather head to the left. You'll get to a point where you can see the Cuota but it's not obvious how to get to it. With a little wandering around you'll get there. Not sure it's worth the effort. We've never used it since.

RickS

Feb 11, 2013, 6:44 AM

Post #7 of 10 (4817 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Carretera a El Salto....

" Not sure it's worth the effort."

I've about come to the same conclusion unless Chinagringo comes up with something. My feeble memory was telling me that a more 'direct' route had been developed through there but now I don't know if that is really so.

The whole idea was to skirt about a 1-mile part of Guadalajara at a very high traffic time around 7 AM. There is one intersection that is just crazy with how one must 'force' their way across and into the correct lane! I've done that route several times at that hour and I'm thinking I'll add another one to that list later this month.

tashby

Feb 11, 2013, 8:14 AM

Post #8 of 10 (4797 views)

Shortcut

There is one intersection that is just crazy with how one must 'force' their way across and into the correct lane!

If you're referring to the exchange where, as you're driving downhill you have to get into the far right hand lane to access either the cuota going eastbound or Lazaro Cardenas going westbound, it has been fixed. There is now a newish bridge accessed from the far lefthand lane for those who want to exit onto Lazaro Cardenas.

stevebrtx

Feb 11, 2013, 9:04 AM

Post #9 of 10 (4788 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Carretera a El Salto....

The "new" road is nice from the airport to the old Guadalajara Libre, then you turn right onto it and go through a village or two, several fields of topes etc. and when I tried to find the entry to the couta I couldn't. I leave early in the morning before Guad traffic and still use the old way and it works best for me. Eventually I think that new road may extend to the couta, but that's years away - years.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

Septiembre

Feb 23, 2013, 1:58 PM

Post #10 of 10 (4444 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Carretera a El Salto....

Steve, getting onto the cuota when using the bypass is a snap. You can see how it works using google maps as well. Basically, you drive almost to the Zapotlanejo entry gate. Just before it, you pass under two overpass bridges, the left turn just past the second is signed to Guadalajara, ignore that as you'll only go about 1.5 miles before you see a right hand exit signed to Lagos de Moreno, taking this exit puts you up on the cuota headed in the right direction.

Coming back it is a bit trickier. You exit left following the signs to Zapotlanejo, do a retorno that (unfortunately) dumps you into the outbound left hand lane of the cuota which you must immediately cross to get to the right hand exit signed for Zapotlanejo. Once you've survived this, you go to the SECOND exit just past the shopping area (the first exit goes into the shopping area), you emerge at the bottom of the ramp at those same two bridges you drove under on the way out. Then just turn right. That is putting you on Libre 80 which parallels the cuota.

You go quite a ways, through a couple of built up areas and a couple topes. When he divided 4 lane highway comes back together as 4 lanes with a concrete barrier you should move over to the right lane as you are going to exit just past the traffic light which exit is weirdly signed for Tepic but I also think it has airport as well. The last time we did it, there was a bunch of construction and we had a detour to get to the west bound lanes headed back to the airport. I expect that is different there. Once you get back to Chapala highway you have to head towards GDL for a short distance before using a retorno that gets you pointed towards home.

And there was a serious cop-criminal problem on the road a year ago, some of the thefts were pretty substantial, people were threatened with guns. We documented 10 cases in a relatively short time. This information was given to the Federales via the Chapala police and there were some arrests and the problem seems to have gone away. But it sure wasn't as trivial as some who don't even live here like to pretend it was. My wife and I were one of the couples robbed at that time.

(This post was edited by Septiembre on Feb 23, 2013, 2:00 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4