Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

boswelltb@yahoo.com

Feb 9, 2013, 6:57 AM

Post #1 of 18 (4861 views)

Shortcut

immigration

Can't Post | Private Reply
My husband and I are applying for a Temporal Visa in Dallas this next week, as I understand from the consulate here that Permanant visas can only go to those retired or have alot to invest....anyway we arrive in Ajijic in March, 9th. We understand that we need to go to the Mexican Consulate in Guadalajara to finalize the process and get our card.....here is my question: We will only be there in Chapala March 9th through the 16th and have to return to the states but will go back in July. Once we take our papers to the consulate there in Guadalajara, march 9th, does anyone know how long it takes to get the card? And if it takes longer than the 16th, will they hold it till July, or will it get " lost" waiting for us to return in July..???? I know this is a detailed question...but just thought someone might be familiar with this process...thanks for any help....

Rolly

Feb 9, 2013, 9:35 AM

Post #2 of 18 (4831 views)

Shortcut

Re: [boswelltb@yahoo.com] immigration

I think you will be better served by applying at the consukate just before your July trip when you will have time to wait out the very slow responce from INM.

Rolly Pirate

esperanza

Feb 9, 2013, 1:30 PM

Post #3 of 18 (4799 views)

Shortcut

I agree with Rolly. Come this time on a standard tourist card and apply for your Visa Temporal prior to coming down again in July. Why have an immigration situation hanging over your head in March, when you are only going to be here for a week!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

boswelltb@yahoo.com

Feb 9, 2013, 1:32 PM

Post #4 of 18 (4797 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] immigration

ok Rolly and Esperanza...sounds like good advice....I will do that...thanks so very very much for taking the time to give me good advice !!!

boswelltb@yahoo.com

Feb 9, 2013, 1:34 PM

Post #5 of 18 (4794 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] immigration

Rolly. thank you so very much for the advice....We will do just that.....thanks so much again....!!!!

Vichil

Feb 9, 2013, 1:49 PM

Post #6 of 18 (4792 views)

Shortcut

There is no such thing as a "Mexican Consulate" in Guadalajara. Consulates are only found outside of the country of origin. In Mexico you need to go the Immigration Department.

sioux4noff

Feb 10, 2013, 8:09 AM

Post #7 of 18 (4716 views)

Shortcut

You have gotten good advice on the timing. Two considerations are that the immigration department is less busy in the summer, as many snowbirds are back up north. At least that is the case where I live in Nayarit.
Also, when you need to go back to renew, if you havent paid the whole term of the visa out at first, you need to do it at the same time of year. Being able to pay multiple years at one time makes that more of a non-issue.
Good luck!
Another consideration, which you didnt ask about, so feel free to disregard this, is are you sure you want/need to get the Temporary Resident visa vs. traveling back and forth on tourist visas. the cost difference is considerable, and I know several folks who have decided to go back to the tourist visa scenario. They leave the country at least once every 6 months, so never overstay.

(This post was edited by sioux4noff on Feb 10, 2013, 8:12 AM)

boswelltb@yahoo.com

Feb 10, 2013, 9:50 PM

Post #8 of 18 (4648 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] immigration

thank you for that information....i wondered about that when i was typing it....didnt know if it was called a Consulate there...thanks

DavidHF

Feb 11, 2013, 3:54 AM

Post #9 of 18 (4633 views)

Shortcut

When you are in the Lakeside area you use the INM (immigration) office in Chapala. Very convenient.

Axixic

Feb 11, 2013, 4:28 AM

Post #10 of 18 (4630 views)

Shortcut

A Mexican consulate or embassy is only in a country outside of Mexico. U.S. and Canadian embassies and consulates are in Mexico.

You get your immigration documents at a Mexican immigration office in Mexico not at a consulate.

boswelltb@yahoo.com

Feb 11, 2013, 5:08 AM

Post #11 of 18 (4629 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] immigration

thank you so very much David

boswelltb@yahoo.com

Feb 11, 2013, 5:10 AM

Post #12 of 18 (4628 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Axixic] immigration

Thank you so much for your input..

boswelltb@yahoo.com

Feb 11, 2013, 5:50 AM

Post #13 of 18 (4624 views)

Shortcut

David, thank you so much, when we were there in December i read in a magazine that they offer immigrations services at the lake Chapala Society on the first wednesday of every month. Do you know if this is actually to give the actual Visa Card? If not i can actually go to Chapala for this and dont have to travel to Guadalajara? Thanks

DavidHF

Feb 11, 2013, 3:32 PM

Post #14 of 18 (4566 views)

Shortcut

INM does not come to LCS any longer since we have and INM office nearby. Easy peasy.

boswelltb@yahoo.com

Feb 11, 2013, 3:40 PM

Post #15 of 18 (4566 views)

Shortcut

ok, David, thanks for letting me know that...wow, i love these forums....i just learn so much....what did we do 20 years ago? Its truly the age of information....but one of the reasons for moving to mexico is that i feel im stepping back in time 50 years ago in many respects and that part I like....thanks again

DavidHF

Feb 12, 2013, 8:29 AM

Post #16 of 18 (4502 views)

Shortcut

When you see all the Mexicans with smartphones you'll think not!

boswelltb@yahoo.com

Feb 12, 2013, 9:40 AM

Post #17 of 18 (4492 views)

Shortcut

thats funny....thanks

stevebrtx

Feb 12, 2013, 11:00 AM

Post #18 of 18 (4473 views)

Shortcut

I posted a stat on the weather page the other day, back in 2009 there were 12M landlines in MX and 91M cell phones.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4