Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

vanyoska

Nov 25, 2002, 8:11 PM

Post #1 of 14 (2518 views)

Shortcut

Hotels de la Salud, Meson del Gallo and Madala

Can't Post |
does any one know anything about any of these hotels.? In particular, a single room. I have been in touch with the first two and their prices are excellent. I only have info from guide books a bit from the web. Are they colonial? Or do they have a colonial ambiance? hot water? Whatever you may know about them would be great. Thanks so much.
Vanyöska

MacMike

Nov 30, 2002, 12:29 PM

Post #2 of 14 (2425 views)

Shortcut

Re: [vanyoska] Hotels de la Salud, Meson del Gallo and Madala

Can't Post |
Hotel de La Salud: we stayed there 10 years ago. It's a very pleasant and clean place, arranged around a courtyard. The drawback was that, at that time it was unheated, and the hot water flowed only at specific times of the am and pm. The room was spartan but acceptable. At that time, it cost $11 USD a night a double. It's a 5 minute walk to the plazas, and there is very little traffic out on its street. Hoever, you have to contend with the sound of the bells from the Basilica nearby.

vanyoska

Nov 30, 2002, 1:12 PM

Post #3 of 14 (2412 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MacMike] Hotels de la Salud, Meson del Gallo and Madala

Can't Post |
MacMike,
Thanks for the info. When you say "spartan," do you mean it has a table or what? Does it have a colonial ambiance in the rooms or elsewhere in the hotel? Now they are charging $190NMP. I don't know if it has hot water and heat. But some rooms have fireplaces. If you can describeit better, it would be a help. One book describes it as beautiful and another says little to give any hint at all.
Thanks again,
Vanyöska

tonyburton / Moderator

Nov 30, 2002, 1:31 PM

Post #4 of 14 (2412 views)

Shortcut

Meson del Gallo

Can't Post | Private Reply
Good budget choice - looks old (and the entrance lobby is actually a genuine transported indigenous dwelling or troje.) I've stayed there dozens of times over the past 20 years and consider it very good value for money. It does have hot water. The further you are from reception, the longer it takes to reach your room, though. All rooms are simple, clean and twin-bedded.

Restaurant is good (and will prepare pretty much anything you want even if it isn't on the menu) and the management and staff are as friendly and helpful as anywhere I've ever stayed - and, should you choose to stay there, tell them I said so!

Location is good, since it is one block off the main square and hence is usually quieter at night than some locations right on the square. It is also on the same level as the main square, so you don't have to climb hills all the time.

Enjoy your stay!

vanyoska

Nov 30, 2002, 1:41 PM

Post #5 of 14 (2396 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Meson del Gallo

Can't Post |
Thanks,
Are the rooms and/or furniture colonial in ambiance? do they have bathrooms in the rooms? Heat or fireplaces? Views? Windows? I'm not being fussy, just trying to get an idea of what the place is like and tying to compare it in value to say, de la salud. Anyway, it sounds nice.
Thanks for the info and any more details if you have it.
As far as the restaurant, it doesn't really matter as I'll probably go to various ones while I'm there.
Vanyöska

tonyburton / Moderator

Nov 30, 2002, 1:54 PM

Post #6 of 14 (2391 views)

Shortcut

Re: [vanyoska] Meson del Gallo

Are the rooms and/or furniture colonial in ambiance? Rooms no; furniture yes

do they have bathrooms in the rooms? yes

Heat or fireplaces? fireplace in lounge; no heat in rooms (but lots of warm blankets!)

Views? no

Windows? yes, lots!

I'm not being fussy, just trying to get an idea of what the place is like and tying to compare it in value to say, de la salud. Anyway, it sounds nice. - that's because it is nice!

esperanza

Nov 30, 2002, 5:01 PM

Post #7 of 14 (2387 views)

Shortcut

I have stayed at the Mandala. It's charming and located 2-3 doors from the former Jesuit church. The rooms have no heat, but tons of blankets are available. The decor is not colonial. The restaurant connected with the hotel is vegetarian and excellent, especially the breakfast biónico. The hosts were great when I was there last, about two years ago, very accomodating and pleasant. The nights I stayed there, however, something was wrong with the electricity and we were operating on candle-power. We had a great time, as we always do in Pátzcuaro.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

vanyoska

Nov 30, 2002, 7:37 PM

Post #8 of 14 (2376 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Hotels de la Salud, Meson del Gallo and Madala

Can't Post |
Hey thanks,
Sounds quite nice. I read that the upstairs 2 rooms have beautiful views, bathrooms and are higher in price. the downstairs rooms share a bathroom and I suppose have no views. Do you know anything about the difference in the rooms?
Vanyöska

esperanza

Dec 1, 2002, 6:25 AM

Post #9 of 14 (2373 views)

Shortcut

There are two rooms downstairs; that's where my friends and I stayed. The bathroom for both rooms is between them, just a few steps from either room. If I recall correctly, the room on the left is larger and has one double bed; the room on the right is slightly smaller and also has one double bed. Each of the downstairs rooms has a window that looks onto the inner courtyard of the hotel. The two upstairs rooms do indeed have a gorgeous view over the city of Pátzcuaro; we would have taken those rooms but they were booked at the time we were there.

One of the things I enjoyed most about staying at the Mandala was sitting in the inner courtyard at night looking at the sky. The clear December nights...the millions of stars...it was so beautiful~and SO COLD!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

rick

Dec 3, 2002, 7:50 PM

Post #10 of 14 (2363 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
a map showing hotel locations is at:
http://mexconnect.com/...ich/patz/patzmap.htm

MacMike

Dec 6, 2002, 3:37 AM

Post #11 of 14 (2343 views)

Shortcut

Re: [vanyoska] Hotel de la Salud, "Spartan"?

Can't Post |
Vanyöska, remember now, I was there 9 or 10 years ago. "Spartan" in my description means a firm bed, one light fixture in the bedroom, one desk (I couldn't get my knees under it when seated) and a chair. The shade on the light was a rolled up newspaper page. (They must have treated it so it wouldn't burn).
As mentioned before, there was no heat, and the hot water era muy tarde de llegar. I hope that it has improved since then.
On the plus side, the house is attractive, the people are nice, and the room was very clean.

vanyoska

Dec 6, 2002, 10:54 AM

Post #12 of 14 (2333 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MacMike] Hotel de la Salud, "Spartan"?

Can't Post |
You're amusing. Good description of "spartan." Anyway, it sounds a bit funky — and nice. Who knows? It may have improved. Especially considering one of the guide books (I don't recall which one) calls its rooms among the nicest in town. Probably just a bit of an exaggeration.
Well, maybe I'll see and be able to report back.
Thanks! I'm laughing at the moment.
Vanyöska

behrens1

Dec 11, 2002, 12:12 PM

Post #13 of 14 (2303 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
We were just in Patzcuaro (in Nov) and stayed at the Posada de la Salud and loved it. I took pictures of our room and the hotel. If you want to email me, I can send you the pixs.

We paid $25 for a room with a twin and a double bed, bath w/shower.

Let me know,
Sandy (behrens@unt.edu)

vanyoska

Dec 11, 2002, 4:11 PM

Post #14 of 14 (2312 views)

Shortcut

Re: [behrens1] Hotels de la Salud, Meson del Gallo and Madala

Can't Post |
Sandy,
Hey thanks, I'd love to see the pictures, if you don't mind. On email or however you can. Is the hotel colonial? Just wondering. I heard it's far or up hill, but I doubt that it can be very far. And I'm sure it's safe to walk there alone at night. I'll be alone and they said I may be able to get a room with a fireplace. It really sounds lovely. So, if you can send me pictures or tell me anything about the hotel and/or other hints for Patzcauro, it'll be great.
I'm also going to Taxco, Oaxaca City (which I know, but not inexpensive hotels like I'll be staying in this time), some of the nearby villages, Puerto Angel, Palenque and the grand ruins north of MC. If you have any suggestions for these places, let me know, please.

Thanks so much for your response.
Vanyöska

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4