Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

EricWoods

Jan 27, 2013, 9:12 PM

Post #1 of 12 (4275 views)

Shortcut

COMMERCIAL VEHICLE DRIVING LICENCE

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi,
looks like i will be making the move to Lakeside later in the year, i have a few questions i am sure someone here can answer for me i will list below:
1 - Does a car license allow to drive a Commercial Truck namely a 26,000lbs Rollback Tow Truck
2 - Would it be difficult to obtain an operators license to run a Tow Truck for Hire Purposes
Reason for above questions i currently operate 2 x Tow Trucks in Virginia, This business i intend to wind up soon, i have a couple of vehicles that i will be importing both Classics over 30 years old, one of my Tow Trucks is 8-years old looks like it falls in the category that i can import for 10% duty, i am concerned that full retirement may prove too boring for me given the fact that i have worked long & hard hours all my life, This is just a thought that i come up with that if i could operate a Tow Truck it might just keep boredom at bay with something to do not worried about big time business been there done that was a long distance trucker for 31 years, more interested now in it as a hobby with maybe beer money,
One other Question would the Aduana set a value for the Truck or would i need to supply invoice of when i purchased it in 2011,
Thank you for reading this post & any information will be much appreciated o the subject
Tanks again
Eric

(This post was edited by EricWoods on Jan 27, 2013, 9:14 PM)
Attachments: 2004 INTERNATIONAL 4300 WITH 108HP JOHN DEERE.jpg (5.92 KB)

CanuckBob

Jan 28, 2013, 4:30 AM

Post #2 of 12 (4248 views)

Shortcut

Re: [EricWoods] COMMERCIAL VEHICLE DRIVING LICENCE

The bigger question is whether or not Mexico would grant you a working visa (lucrativa) for a tow truck business. You best find out about that first.

Bob
Inside Lakeside
http://www.insidelakeside.com

esperanza

Jan 28, 2013, 6:30 AM

Post #3 of 12 (4235 views)

Shortcut

Good luck with opening a tow truck business. The guys in most towns who run those businesses are hooked up with the local police and have a monopoly on the business. I suspect it would be all but impossible for a foreigner to make inroads into that tight circle, even if you were actually given a work permit to operate.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

chinagringo

Jan 28, 2013, 6:37 AM

Post #4 of 12 (4233 views)

Shortcut

Not sure about the present but at one time, there were restrictions on even bringing in vehicles classified as commercial.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Arizonakid

Jan 28, 2013, 8:09 AM

Post #5 of 12 (4221 views)

Shortcut

Forget the tow truck and save yourself a lot of money and frustration. Even if you got the truck into Mexico, your chances are slim and none that you would be allowed to conduct business that infringes on the livleyhood of the local citizens.

sfmacaws

Jan 28, 2013, 11:10 AM

Post #6 of 12 (4201 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] COMMERCIAL VEHICLE DRIVING LICENCE

There is a size and weight limit on vehicles brought in as personal. I remember the guys with the big diesel trucks pulling 5th wheels in our RV days were unable to bring the trucks across the border as they were out of the weight class for private non professional trucks.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

NEOhio1

Jan 28, 2013, 2:59 PM

Post #7 of 12 (4175 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] COMMERCIAL VEHICLE DRIVING LICENCE

I vaguely recall not being able to bring in a duelly to haul my boat to Chapala. But that was a while back in 2007.

GringoCArlos

Jan 28, 2013, 4:30 PM

Post #8 of 12 (4163 views)

Shortcut

Here is the Jalisco regulations for commercial vehicles including tow trucks:

http://tramites.jalisco.gob.mx/infoTramite.php?id2=600

(This post was edited by Rolly on Jan 28, 2013, 6:08 PM)

EricWoods

Jan 28, 2013, 7:59 PM

Post #9 of 12 (4138 views)

Shortcut

Re: [GringoCArlos] COMMERCIAL VEHICLE DRIVING LICENCE

Hi Gringocarlos,
thank you for the link,looks like it might get too involved was just a thought as i already have the truck, making a living from it would not have been my intention anyhow its just i love trucking its in my blood and i would have been seeing it more of a hobby that would partly fund itself, just concerned that i might get bored if i stop working completely, i can see where others are coming from as regards the job being sewed up with Police etc, a bit like that up here too, might dream up some other stupid idea to keep busy, anyhow a big "Thank You" to everyone who chipped in with their thoughts & advice on the matter as i said it was only a thought that i had not done any research into
Eric

CanuckBob

Jan 29, 2013, 5:21 AM

Post #10 of 12 (4116 views)

Shortcut

You may want to consider restoration of classic cars & trucks as a hobby down here. There is a good supply of worthy vehicles in and around Guadalajara, especially old trucks. The price of bodywork, paint and upholstery is ridiculously cheap here and that tends to be one of the higher costs of any restorations up north. I met a guy from Florida at the Barrett Jackson Auction in Phoenix 2 weeks ago and we discussed sending cars down to Mexico in bond, restoring them and sending them back. I know of one shop in SMA that is already doing this. When I visited that shop last year he had 3 or 4 fastback Mustangs and a 62 Corvette he was building for US customers. They also build Pan America and Mexican Nascar race vehicles.

Bob
Inside Lakeside

CanuckBob

Jan 29, 2013, 5:36 AM

Post #11 of 12 (4110 views)

Shortcut

Eric, here is a link to a thread on Inside lakeside about the project I am currently working on.

http://www.insidelakeside.com/...p45-project-volksrod

Bob
Inside Lakeside

Chapala Payaso

Jan 30, 2013, 11:23 AM

Post #12 of 12 (4029 views)

Shortcut

There is a tow truck business located in down town Chapala and they seem like nice folks. Perhaps if you got your truck down here you could work for them using your truck. There would be some hoops to jump through but less that starting your own and competing with the locals business. Perhaps it would be better to visit with the first.

(This post was edited by Chapala Payaso on Jan 30, 2013, 11:24 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4