Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

johninajijic

Jan 11, 2013, 12:40 PM

Post #1 of 14 (6111 views)

Shortcut

FLU is Runnung Rampant Throughout the US

Can't Post | Private Reply
Some of you may or may not have heard that the Flu is running rampant throughout the US, far more serious than in other years. In Boston, MA alone there are 700 reported cases where normally at this time there would be 70 cases. 18 people have died. It is in EVERY State in the US. Hospitals cannot handle everyone and some are turning people away. You should be cautious if you are expecting a visitor from the US.

I don't know if it's spread into Canada yet, but most likely it has since it travels easily on planes.

They are urging people to still get Flu shots, so if you haven't got yours get it, especially if you have any kind of health condition.

Wash your hands often in HOT soapy water. It kills germs.

(This post was edited by johninajijic on Jan 11, 2013, 12:40 PM)

Axixic

Jan 11, 2013, 1:25 PM

Post #2 of 14 (6089 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] FLU is Runnung Rampant Throughout the US

Don't shake hands either. This reminds me that I need to get a flu vaccine or start wearing gloves and a mask.

robt65

Jan 13, 2013, 3:00 PM

Post #3 of 14 (5971 views)

Shortcut

It is also making the rampant rounds here in Queretaro as well. The whole family has been down with it. Best meds so far have been injectable penicillin and some Vicks 44 cough syrup. We got hit with two different varieties of it evidently according to our doctor. Our youngest getting temps of 38.8 and same with the elder father in law (86 yrs) getting the same really kept us on our toes. Takes about a week or 10 days to run the course. One child in the next pueblo over died from the flu so far. It is a nasty one.
robt65

Glenn

Jan 14, 2013, 9:28 AM

Post #4 of 14 (5924 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] FLU is Runnung Rampant Throughout the US

Penicillin for a viral infection? Tamiflu would have been more appropriate.

robt65

Jan 14, 2013, 10:38 AM

Post #5 of 14 (5902 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Glenn] FLU is Runnung Rampant Throughout the US

I agree but when a Mexican "doctor" is treating a Mexican National you donít stand a chance to interfere! Tamiflu probably would have knocked it out in three or four days instead of a week or ten days!
robt65

viktoremski

Jan 14, 2013, 2:36 PM

Post #6 of 14 (5865 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Glenn] FLU is Runnung Rampant Throughout the US

Actually, neither one. Antibiotics make viruses laugh (and kill many of the friendly "inquilinos" in your "tripas"). Tamiflu has almost no effect, either. I also disagree with yearly vaccinations, but I don't want to get yelled at, so I won't say any more about that. There are quite a few remedies, which - in my opinion - are the reason I have been flu free for years: lots of vitamin C (either occuring naturally in food, or as supplement), sodium bicarbonate (pure baking soda) or Lugol's Iodine, to gargle and irrigate nostrils - in case if something is trying to develop.

johninajijic

Jan 15, 2013, 8:39 AM

Post #7 of 14 (5800 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viktoremski] FLU is Runnung Rampant Throughout the US

Vitamin C does absolutely nothing according to many well known US Doctors. But if you believe in taking it go ahead. Bedrest, a humid atmosphere and Vicks Vapo Rub helps. Doctors in Mexico are so smart, they give Antibiotis for everything. DUMB!

viktoremski

Jan 15, 2013, 2:18 PM

Post #8 of 14 (5758 views)

Shortcut

Actually, it has been shown in quite a few studies over the last century that vitamin C is crucial in fighting viral infections. The studies you are probably referring to looked at the FDA recommended dose, which is close to zero, and hardly prevents scurvy.

johninajijic

Jan 15, 2013, 7:09 PM

Post #9 of 14 (5725 views)

Shortcut

What dosage is necessary?

johanson

Jan 15, 2013, 8:22 PM

Post #10 of 14 (5718 views)

Shortcut

John, where do you come up with this information? I just phoned my retired doc, and read your post to him. His first question was, does he understand anything about medicine? I will not quote what I said.

He stated that should you start to show the flu symptoms that you should take high doses of vitamin C for several days (I think he said at least three) I then said that John would challenge what I said, and he suggested you check what Linus Pauline posted on the subject. ( I didn't check what he posted)

No offense meant John, but should I show flu symptoms I shall fallow my Doc's advice rather than yours

(This post was edited by johanson on Jan 15, 2013, 8:25 PM)

johninajijic

Jan 15, 2013, 10:27 PM

Post #11 of 14 (5703 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] FLU is Runnung Rampant Throughout the US

Linus Pauling did his research eons ago. He's been dead for 10 years.

Your Doctor is waay behind the times. I guess your Doctor needs to keep up with modern medicine. Well known Doctors who have written many books say that Vitamin C does not prevent or shorten a cold or flu.

You need to research the internet and find that article after article says that vitamin C is useless against colds and flu.

DavidMcL

Jan 15, 2013, 10:33 PM

Post #12 of 14 (5700 views)

Shortcut

Lets get back to Mexico, shall we?

David
David McL
WebJefe

briandear

Feb 19, 2013, 8:59 PM

Post #13 of 14 (4765 views)

Shortcut

You're right on vitamin C, despite my initial skepticism of homeopath-style remedies: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10543583

I was getting ready to slam you on your anti-flu vaccine position until I actually took a look at the literature: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22032844

Apparently, the vaccine is marginally helpful in some years and efficacy in the over 65 crowd is inconclusive. Of course, the other side of that is does the potential for it being helpful outweigh the drawbacks of the vaccine..

So wow.. I feel pretty enlightened since my first reaction was to disagree, yet upon reading more, turns out I was mostly wrong. lol. Thanks for providing that 'teachable moment.'

In any case, I hope everyone is feeling healthy. Here in NYC we were hit hard by the flu, but somehow my family managed to stay healthy. My public transportation flu-paranoia paid off, even if it cost me several hundred bucks more to pay for tolls and parking last month!

(This post was edited by Rolly on Feb 19, 2013, 9:08 PM)

viktoremski

Feb 20, 2013, 3:02 PM

Post #14 of 14 (4703 views)

Shortcut

Re: [briandear] FLU is Runnung Rampant Throughout the US

Thank you. Lots of "C" (not necessarily pills; fruits and vegies are preferred), and a healthy lifestyle overall, has kept me flu free for quite a few years now. No yearly shots for me.
Take care, Vic

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4