Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

tashby

Jan 9, 2013, 4:07 PM

Post #1 of 22 (60691 views)

Shortcut

Guacamole "salsa"

Can't Post | Private Reply
Okay, I bet almost everyone has had this "salsa verde" before. It's often available at taco stands, etc. I was reminded how much I love it today and need to learn how to make it.

It's a light green salsa, but very smooth and liquidy, about the consistency of a thin ketchup. I asked the restaurant owner about it and told him how much I liked his "salsa verde", but he referred to it as guacamole. As mentioned, it's much thinner than the thick guacamole I'm used to for chip-dipping and whatnot. Absolutely no chunks of anything. I asked him what the ingredients were:

Avocado
Green Chiles
Onion (I'm guessing white given the bright/light green color)
Cilantro
Salt
Limon

And that's it. I had previously tried to make this, but was starting from a Tomatillo and Aguacate recipe based on my erroneous assumption that tomatillos were involved. Asked him specifically and he said "no tomatillos". The liquification comes from the blender/food processor.

Can anybody point me to a recipe for this very simple, and simply perfect, salsa? I have no idea what the ingredient proportions are. Thanks!

P.S./Edit: And yes, I know the derivation of the word guacamole, so don't knock me for attaching "salsa" to the description! 8-P

(This post was edited by tashby on Jan 9, 2013, 4:10 PM)

beachbum

Jan 9, 2013, 5:07 PM

Post #2 of 22 (60677 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Guacamole "salsa"

Nice !

Our salsa verdes are made from tomatillos, sometimes roasted, others not. A few salsa verdes also include toasted habeneros.
Cheers,
J

mazbook1

Jan 9, 2013, 7:03 PM

Post #3 of 22 (60662 views)

Shortcut

More than likely, by green chiles, he meant Chiles Poblanos, which are quite mild and even if you accidentally put too much in on your first try, that more liquid sort of guacamole really wouldn't be very picante (hot). IF I were to make it (no one in my family usually uses it except when we eat at taco restaurants or have taco takeout), I would use the following recipe:

1 good-sized, fully ripe (but not too overripe) avocado (Hass, the rough-skinned, pear-shaped ones that are black and soft when fully ripe)
1 de-stemmed, de-seeded and de-veined medium sized chile poblano coarsely chopped
Enough coarsely-chopped white onion to equal about 1 rounded tablespoon of very-finely chopped onion
1/2 tablespoon of cleaned, de-stemmed, coarsely-chopped fresh cilantro leaves
The juice of one limón (lime)
1/2 teaspoon of table salt (or to taste, although the sauce should be a little salty, as most—but not all—taco meats are
prepared without salt)

Once the ingredients are THOROUGHLY blended (I recommend using a blender, rather than a food processor), i.e., COMPLETELY LIQUIFIED, if the result is too thick, I would thin it with a very cautious (no more than a teaspoonful at a time) addition of avocado oil or some other BLAND cooking oil (definitely not olive oil), but even a cautious addition of just plain water would work also. For those who haven't encountered it, avocado oil (aciete de aguacate) is a wonderful oil. ALL of the heat-resistant qualities of peanut oil, so perfect for stir-frying, AND the same "healthy" composition as olive oil, without the odor or flavor of uncooked olive oil.

When I moved to México 16 years ago, there was commonly available a type of smooth-skinned avocado that was a perfect ball shape, usually larger than an orange, but rarely as big as a grapefruit, that had a very watery "meat". After buying one and using it to make my normal, thick guacamole (which ended up a disaster), I discovered that the only way the locals used that particular type of avocado was to make those thin "guacamole" salsas (you sure wouldn't have had to add any extra liquid to a sauce made with them!) I haven't seen them in any grocery store or frutería here in Mazatlán for a number of years, though.

For those who want their taco salsa really, really hot, some taco restaurants here make a thin salsa that LOOKS almost the same as the above, BUT…

Eliminate the avocado, the chile poblano and the limón and use about 1 heaping full cup of de-stemmed (but NOT de-seeded or de-veined) chiles serranos coarsely chopped, along with enough BLAND cooking oil to get the liquified result to about the same consistency as the "guacamole" salsa above ("thin ketchup", as tashby says). Use VERY cautiously until you know if you can "take" it. IF that is STILL not picante enough, you're a masochist, IMHO, and you can use the same recipe, but substituting fresh chiles habaneros for the serranos. It won't be green, though, and that should tip off the unwary to use EXTREME CAUTION!

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Jan 9, 2013, 7:05 PM)

tashby

Jan 10, 2013, 7:40 AM

Post #4 of 22 (60619 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Guacamole "salsa"

Thanks, Mazbook. for the detailed suggested recipe. I'm surprised at how very, very little onion and cilantro you're suggesting. That you also recommend using a poblano surprises me, too.

I would think the cooling property of the avocado would allow for a spicier chile. Also, the sauce is such a light green. Seems like using a whole poblano would turn it considerably darker. Hmmmm. Will have to give it a go and see what happens. Thanks again.

TigerTonio

Jan 10, 2013, 12:04 PM

Post #5 of 22 (60598 views)

Shortcut

I have a feeling there's different variations, depending on region. When I think of "guacamole salsa", I think of one of the trio of salsas that they serve at "El Infierno", probably my favorite taqueria in Morelia. The family that owns this chain is from Apatzingan, Michoacan. I have a friend in Morelia who is also from Apatzingan and he makes his guacamole salsa tasting the same way. Love that stuff, but it can be HOT. BTW, there's now an
El Infierno in Guadalajara at Av. Naciones Unidas 5150.

Their website: http://www.elinfierno.amawebs.com/

tashby

Jan 10, 2013, 3:23 PM

Post #6 of 22 (60581 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TigerTonio] Guacamole "salsa"

You're likely right about it differeing by region, but it's a pretty standard sauce and I've had it in different, far-flung places.

Thanks also for the tip on El Infierno, Tony. Apatzingan is in the tierra caliente de Michoacan, no? I have heard that the food from that region is particularly spicy. Well, I happen to like spicy so.........gracias!

mazbook1

Jan 10, 2013, 5:54 PM

Post #7 of 22 (60569 views)

Shortcut

tashby, You are right, but in putting the recipe into print, I had no idea just how spicy the reader could tolerate. Besides, at my greengrocer's here in Mazatlán, he buys only from small farmers AND buys the poblanos that are much too wrinkled or too small (a little bigger than a golf ball, but not big enough for rellenos) to sell to the big grocery stores (or export).

Also, buying from small farmers almost guarantees that the "spiciness" from one day to the next will vary quite a lot, from super extra mild to pretty fairly spicy (any chile will vary wildly in spiciness depending on the water supply. Chiles grown with only barely enough water to keep them alive and producing are MUCH spicier than well-watered plants. This I know from personal experience of growing chiles. So it never surprises me when one batch is a lot spicier than the last batch at my greengrocer's (even true of his serranos, they're all darn spicy, but some batches are really, really spicy, even for my wife who likes to eat serranos raw with breakfast eggs), but it makes no difference to me, as if I consider something cooked or prepared with poblanos to need a little more spiciness, I just add enough finely chopped serrano to bring it up to my and my family's standard (which is pretty darn spicy).

A LOT (if not the most) of the tourist restaurants here serve a pretty bland variety of "guacamole" salsa, and even a pretty bland version of regular guacamole, for that matter. A couple of months ago, when my wife and I (without the kids!) were out and about, we decided to try a new, small restaurant in the old tourist area (Olas Altas, in el centro histórico) for cena and what they served us, calling it guacamole, was nothing but mashed up avocado, nothing added at all. Needless to say, we will never bother to eat at that particular restaurant again, and we certainly won't recommend it to anyone.

When I make guacamole, I use enough finely-chopped serrano (NEVER jalapeño, as that changes the flavor) to make it pretty darn spicy. Only a very few restaurants make it quite as spicy as I do.

Maesonna

Jan 11, 2013, 9:00 AM

Post #8 of 22 (60539 views)

Shortcut

This may be a regional thing, but here (DF) “chiles verdes” are a small green chile, the basic chile used in salsas. Poblanos would be called “poblanos” and never referred to as chiles verdes.

The other kind of avocado besides Hass that we have here is the criollo, which has a thin, papery edible skin whose anis-like flavour combines beautifully with the avocado flesh. I don’t think it’s the same avocado as the “watery” one you mentioned though, because its flesh is normal and it doesn’t make the guacamole too thin.

Thanks for posting the recipe!

sfmacaws

Jan 11, 2013, 10:32 AM

Post #9 of 22 (60518 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Guacamole "salsa"

Also different from the Hass avocado is the Mantequilla which is commonly grown here in Yucatan. It can be quite large, softball to volleyball size, more round than oblong, has a much thinner skin, less fat and more water than the Hass. It makes a thinner guacamole type sauce that is more the consistency of a salsa. I believe they are particularly adapted to the humidity of the tropics.

I like them but people from the highlands who think only a Hass is a real avocado, tend to disparage them. There is a joke here that I can't quite remember but it basically says you can tell who is a chilango by their avocados. It's a take off on the original nahuatl word for avocado that means testicle.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

mazbook1

Jan 11, 2013, 7:33 PM

Post #10 of 22 (60481 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Guacamole "salsa"

Those criollo avocados are good, but unfortunately, here in Mazatlán most of our avocados are "imported" from other states in México, as all of the best of the crop in Sinaloa is exported, the only criollos available are from those that have the big avocado trees they grow on (great shade trees). My next-door neighbor has one that has a good crop annually, and I and the rest of the vecinos get a few every year, but it's rare to see them at even the smallest frutería.

There are many, many other local varieties of avocados grown in México, but in such small quantities that they are seldom available much outside of their local area. One common type, which is nearly the same as the Hass except it never turns black when ripe, is the Fuerte, but the Hass predominates the world (and Mexican) market. Around 80% of the world market (or maybe even more) is the Hass variety. Mexicans eat more avocados than any other people in the world, approx. 10kg per capita per year, so uses up much more of its own crop than what it exports.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Jan 12, 2013, 2:07 AM)

mazbook1

Jan 11, 2013, 8:05 PM

Post #11 of 22 (60472 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Guacamole "salsa"

I'm certain that those mantequilla avocados are the ones I was referring to, but since they don't seem to grow in Sinaloa, and most of our avocados are imported (all really big good ones are sold for export or to the big-box chains in México), either the commercial supply from the Yucatán or the demand here in the noroeste must have dropped off, as it's been a long time since I've seen them (and I never saw one volleyball size - WOW). The Hass avocado is a variety that was actually developed by a grower named Hass, in California, but who brought his new variety (and the money he made off its patent) right here to el municipio del Mazatlán, and there are plenty of things around here named for him.

sfmacaws

Jan 11, 2013, 8:40 PM

Post #12 of 22 (60464 views)

Shortcut

To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen one quite as large as a volleyball but I came up short in thinking of anything else for comparison. The really huge ones are generally from a backyard tree, they don't let them get that big commercially.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

rayitodeluna

Jan 12, 2013, 2:15 PM

Post #13 of 22 (60435 views)

Shortcut

My inlaws make this often, here is an approx recipe:

5 avocadoes
2-3 chile verdes (not poblanos, a small chile that resembles a fresh chile de arbol - I didnt know are green as well as red. in the US I only knew of dried red chile de arbol) they have used serraños as well as chile verde
1/2 white onion
Handful of cilantro
Squeeze of 2-3 limes
Salt to taste

(You can add in more limes later if it turned out too spicy)

Throw everything in blender, avocados last. Blend until desired consitency. I prefer to roast the chiles , it softens the spiciness a bit, gives it a smokier flavor.

They usually cut up an extra avocado when they serve the salsa and throw it in, more for presentation than anything. Tiny little cube shaped pieces.

Let us know how it turned out for you!

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.
Family and expat blog here : http://threecurlygirlys.blogspot.mx/ ~~~~~~

(This post was edited by rayitodeluna on Jan 12, 2013, 2:17 PM)

mazbook1

Jan 12, 2013, 2:46 PM

Post #14 of 22 (60430 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rayitodeluna] Guacamole "salsa"

rayitodeluna, That's really the same as my recipe, except for the type of chiles used. Personally, I would use serranos. I just used poblanos, in the "guacamole" salsa recipe, as many, many gringo readers of this forum don't tolerate the more picante chiles that you and I like, and I think that my recipe for the "guacamole" salsa, if it is made with so little of the more picante chiles to be just barely picante, would have insufficient flavor from them. I AGREE that NO Mexican or gringo "chile head" would EVER make "guacamole" salsa or any real guacamole using poblanos.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Jan 12, 2013, 5:07 PM)

rayitodeluna

Jan 12, 2013, 2:53 PM

Post #15 of 22 (60429 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
rayitodeluna, That's really the same as my recipe, except for the type of chiles used. Personally, I would use serranos probably, IF I ever had to make it, that is. I just used poblanos, as many, many gringo readers of this forum don't tolerate the more picante chiles that you and I like, and I think that my smaller recipe, if it used so little of the more picante chiles to be just lightly picante, would have insufficient flavor from them. I AGREE that NO Mexican or gringo "chile head" would EVER make "guacamole" salsa or any real guacamole using poblanos.

Oh no, my secret is out! I thought I had hidden my love of chiles well enough! What gave me away? Was it the discussion on chocolate dipped jalapeños? My plans for 6 different types of chiles on our rooftop garden this year? (One bhut jolokia! ) ?

Then it seems like the OP has a pretty consistent recipe to try- maybe doesnt need to use mine since my inlaws cook for 9 people at every meal ;) thats alot of guacamole to use!

I do love chile poblanos, they definately have their place in every good kitchen. Love their slightly smokey flavor, especially when roasted! You gave good advice about the deveining and de seeding - I didnt even think to mention that. That takes about half the spiciness out.

The other day my SIL was mad when she made the guacamole- and used 4 chile gueros. Boy was it spicy, but oh so delicious!

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.

esperanza

Jan 12, 2013, 3:29 PM

Post #16 of 22 (60426 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
You're likely right about it differeing by region, but it's a pretty standard sauce and I've had it in different, far-flung places.

Thanks also for the tip on El Infierno, Tony. Apatzingan is in the tierra caliente de Michoacan, no? I have heard that the food from that region is particularly spicy. Well, I happen to like spicy so.........gracias!

Remember Fonda La Marceva? All food from the Tierra Caliente de Michoacán. From Huetamo, to be exact. Ah, The aporreadillo!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

tashby

Jan 12, 2013, 4:13 PM

Post #17 of 22 (60423 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rayitodeluna] Guacamole "salsa"

Thanks for the recipe rayitodeluna. Those proportions are a lot more like what I was expecting.

And esperanza....do I remember Fonda Marceva? Ha! I'd be eating there tomorrow if it wasn't seven hours roundtrip.

emdadjut

Jan 20, 2013, 5:00 PM

Post #18 of 22 (60326 views)

Shortcut

Re: [beachbum] Guacamole "salsa"

Oh, I should learn all the ingredients and the process to make it.

tashby

Jan 22, 2013, 4:27 PM

Post #19 of 22 (60274 views)

Shortcut

Well, I finally got around to making it today. Here is what I used.

3 medium sized, ripe Haas avocados
2 jalapenos
1/2 white onion
handful of cilantro
Juice of two squeezed limes (that weren't particularly juicy)
1/2 teaspoon salt

I got it nice and smooth, but no matter how often I turned on the blender, I couldn't quite liquify it. So I started cutting in a bit of water. Never quite got to the consistency I wanted, still too thick to call it "pourable", but it tasted swell.

Thanks for the help!

rayitodeluna

May 3, 2013, 9:02 AM

Post #20 of 22 (59107 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Well, I finally got around to making it today. Here is what I used.

3 medium sized, ripe Haas avocados
2 jalapenos
1/2 white onion
handful of cilantro
Juice of two squeezed limes (that weren't particularly juicy)
1/2 teaspoon salt

I got it nice and smooth, but no matter how often I turned on the blender, I couldn't quite liquify it. So I started cutting in a bit of water. Never quite got to the consistency I wanted, still too thick to call it "pourable", but it tasted swell.

Thanks for the help!

We made some again the other day and this time added in some tomates (tomatillos in English). I love to roast ingredients in salsa (minus the cilantro and avocado of course! Not sure the cilantro would survive roasting) first.

Try the next time just how you made it, but add maybe 6 good sized tomatillos? That will make it a much more liquidy consistency without taking away from flavor.

I love trying new salsas, my next salsa search/goal is a smoky peanut-guajillo (I think guajillo?) salsa I bought a small jar of at a a artisan salsa stand in some small town. It was so yummy, not spicy at all but super flavorful and smoky yumminess.

joaquinx

May 3, 2013, 11:15 AM

Post #21 of 22 (59093 views)

Shortcut

I make mine with LaCosteña Salsa Mexicana casera. It may not be fancy, but it disappears quickly.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

bournemouth

May 3, 2013, 11:49 AM

Post #22 of 22 (59090 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Guacamole "salsa"

Me too - it works well.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4