Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

bgracie

Jan 1, 2013, 2:01 PM

Post #1 of 8 (3372 views)

Shortcut

Key questions, upcoming move. Items to bring, storage when I'm away, etc

Can't Post | Private Reply
After long planning & research am about to move down there (half the year, every year). I know most things I will need to bring (clothes, good kitchen knives).

Wondering if these things are easily available or if anyone has seen them in stores?

-Mini trampoline (jumping helps my bone density)
-Quality blow up bed
-Quality mattress topper
-portable massage table

I cook a lot too and wonder if any other kitchen necessities are scarce or $$ there I ought to bring? (I've noticed good butter and quality olive oils not too available).

Re: the larger items, I'm not driving and won't have a car, should I pay someone who is driving down to bring them? (I live in Southern California and could rendezvous with someone driving through here or Arizona).

I know there's a storage facility there in Ajijic for when I'm gone the rest of the year, does anyone know if its a good option?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if some of this in the resources - I have looked there already.

bronco

Jan 1, 2013, 2:43 PM

Post #2 of 8 (3355 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bgracie] Key questions, upcoming move. Items to bring, storage when I'm away, etc

there are many good olive oils here. there are mattress stores, but it doesnt hurt to bring your own. bring stainless steel pots & pans.

bgracie

Jan 1, 2013, 4:05 PM

Post #3 of 8 (3345 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bronco] Key questions, upcoming move. Items to bring, storage when I'm away, etc

Thank Bronco, good to know!

Gringal

Jan 2, 2013, 5:12 AM

Post #4 of 8 (3302 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bgracie] Key questions, upcoming move. Items to bring, storage when I'm away, etc

We have a Costco near in Guadalajara. They have good kitchen ware, but if you have a heavy iron skillet or dutch oven, bring it. What you can't find are high thread count sheets. Knives? Some beautiful ones obtainable from the Ojeda knife factory. Expensive, but worth it.
Blow up bed; no problem.
Clothes: depends on what you like to wear. Several shops in Ajijic carry nice cotton blouses, pants, skirts and dresses in beautiful colors. For serious shopping, you can take the monthly Cruz Roja excursions to Guadalajara to the big malls. Any consumer goods you can't find: online ordering.

Your original question about qualifying re income: best to ask an expert. We posters on here mean well, but I've seen quite a bit of misinformation and "maybe's". Yucalandia has the straight word on much of this, though. I also advise visiting Rolly's site: www.rollybrook.com re all aspects of living in Mexico.

Welcome and good luck.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Jan 2, 2013, 5:16 AM)

bgracie

Jan 2, 2013, 11:43 AM

Post #5 of 8 (3251 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Key questions, upcoming move. Items to bring, storage when I'm away, etc

Thanks so much! really helpful !!

(About the income/immigration issue, I didn't think it would be likely I'd get a definitive answer since most here are in a different situation than me, just posting just in case.)

esperanza

Jan 2, 2013, 12:19 PM

Post #6 of 8 (3239 views)

Shortcut

I don't know what kind of butter you prefer, but the Kirkland brand at Costco is excellent. In addition, most of the large supermarket chains carry LurPak--at a price, of course, but no more than we saw it priced in the States just before Christmas.

Some of the high-end department stores carry Le Creuset cookware. It's been hard for me to find really good sauté pans and things of that ilk, though; most are the kind of T-Fal and its sort that seems to be made of aluminum foil. Heavy, professional pans have to be here somewhere, but I haven't found them yet.

If you are a reader, a Kindle is really wonderful for instantly receiving quality and current English-language books. You might prefer one of the other e-readers, but Kindle is the one I know and love.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

bgracie

Jan 2, 2013, 2:35 PM

Post #7 of 8 (3217 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Key questions, upcoming move. Items to bring, storage when I'm away, etc

Actually I like raw, unsalted, organic and or cultured butter, or ghee. I find it has the most flavor. I wonder how much I could bring if any? The ghee (which is just clarified butter), is just in a glass jar and could pass for any kind of cream.

suds

Jan 3, 2013, 1:51 PM

Post #8 of 8 (3135 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Actually I like raw, unsalted, organic and or cultured butter, or ghee. I find it has the most flavor. I wonder how much I could bring if any? The ghee (which is just clarified butter), is just in a glass jar and could pass for any kind of cream.

i am a butter snob. european style, unsalted, cultured butter is the only way to go. lurpac[danish] is available here and is cheaper than in california. good grief,ghee! make it yourself by melting it and scooping off the foam. just like salting butter yourself if ya need to,although that is blaspheme.
i just discovered locally made excellent butter to die for, at the mercado in chapala and there are several other people that make cultured butter here as well. kirkland,bleccchhh!! your butter fears are over!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4