Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

marely

Nov 24, 2002, 3:55 AM

Post #1 of 7 (5337 views)

Shortcut

Where Shoul We Stay in Mazatlan ???

Can't Post |
Hello everyone:

My is Elizabeth, my family and I will be in Mazatlan from 12/30/02 to 01/01/03 we need a cheap but safe place to stay. I hear of Bel Mar hotel, does anyone knows how far that is from the public beaches ? or the Zona Dorada ? Or any other hotels with beach fronts I can not pay more than 50 USD/ night

Also places to go eat CHEAP!

Please let me know

GRACIAS ...!

mareli_77@hotmail.com

John Ferguson

Nov 24, 2002, 9:06 AM

Post #2 of 7 (5282 views)

Shortcut

Re: [marely] Where Shoul We Stay in Mazatlan ???

Can't Post |
Elizabeth:

Our family will be staying at the Hotel Belmar during the time you mentioned. Unless I am mistaken, you should be able to get a room there for around $25 a night (The friendly lady at the front desk laughs when you ask if they have rooms available. "We always have rooms, " she told me once.). Basically you have three choices as far as rates are concerned: Oceanview, which is about $27; Interior rooms, which are about $25; and Suites, which run about $50 a night. Honestly, I think the interior rooms are the best. They are nicer and quieter, plus they have air conditioners (even the winter afternoons can sometimes get pretty warm). The ocean view rooms obviously have the awesome view of the Pacific, but are not as nice. These rooms can sometimes be noisy on the weekends/holidays.

Last Christmas we stayed in a suite (ocean view) up on the sixth floor. Again, they're not swank but they are spacious. If I can get a suite again this time, I will.

The Belmar is located right across the street from Olas Altas Beach. This is the old resort area of Mazatlan. It is pretty laid back, but with plenty of good eats all over the place, plus super close to downtown. Just down the street are two other beachfront hotels: Siesta (about $35/night) and Freeman (?/night). The Freeman is reopening very soon after many years being closed. It is supposed to be a 5-star hotel with rooms rumored to be started around $85/night.

If coming to town by bus or plane, you'll probably need a taxi to get to the Belmar. Insist that the driver take you to the Belmar, because I was once told (about 10 years ago) by a taxi driver that "I didn't want to go there", but rather to the Golden Zone. Whatever! For the budget traveler, the Belmar (and likely the Siesta, too) is a great place to stay.

If you want to get up to the Golden Zone, catch a city bus. Bus transportation in Mazatlan is very inexpensive. I think the buses that have "Sabalos" on their windshields go up to the Golden Zone. Check at the hotel's front desk to make sure which bus it is.

jkoster

Nov 24, 2002, 1:04 PM

Post #3 of 7 (5260 views)

Shortcut

Re: [marely] Where Shoul We Stay in Mazatlan ???

Can't Post |
Two years ago my wife and I flew into Mazatlan and overnighted at the BelMar before bussing the next morning for Durango and points beyond. A few years earlier we had stayed at La Siesta and enjoyed the area. This time we found the prices considerably higher, hence the BelMar. We found the old place somewhat shabby--one of the ocean-view rooms. When we came back from our bus trip two weeks later, we were looking for a somewhat nicer place, but still in the same general area, near the beach and away from the Zona Dorada. We mentioned our desire to our cab driver at the bus station and he made a few recommendations. We opted for a place on Avenida del Mar about a half mile north of Olas Altas. I forget the name but it was a nice place just south of the Aguamarina. When we got there I went inside to check out the availability of rooms. The desk clerk said they had rooms and the price would be $95/nt. Too high. I went back to the taxi and relayed the info to my wife and the driver. He then went in with us and talked to the clerk and we were offered a room for $60/nt or three nights for $150, just in our price range. It was a very nice place with a pool and the best shrimp in the city available just across the street in a palapa restaurant on the beach. Because of this and other experiences I find myself disagreeing with those who accuse the taxi drivers of tourist gouging.

John

ET

Nov 24, 2002, 9:01 PM

Post #4 of 7 (5250 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jkoster] Where Shoul We Stay in Mazatlan ???

Can't Post | Private Reply

In Reply To
....We opted for a place on Avenida del Mar about a half mile north of Olas Altas. I forget the name but it was a nice place just south of the Aguamarina. When we got there I went inside to check out the availability of rooms. The desk clerk said they had rooms and the price would be $95/nt. Too high. I went back to the taxi and relayed the info to my wife and the driver. He then went in with us and talked to the clerk and we were offered a room for $60/nt or three nights for $150, just in our price range. It was a very nice place with a pool and the best shrimp in the city available just across the street in a palapa restaurant on the beach.

Along this stretch of the beachfront, which I believe is referred to as Playa Norte, there's a number of moderately priced hotels. From your description of being south of the Aguamarina I'm thinking it might have been either the Hotel de Cima (Avenida del Mar #48) or the Plaza Marina (Avenida del Mar #73). There's also a number of similar hotels heading north. They were mostly constructed during the first big tourist expansion, I believe in the late 60's and 70's, prior to the move to the Zona Dorado. The downside to all of them is that you have to cross Avenida del Mar, a major thoroughfare to access the beach (the de Cima has a tunnel), the plus is that once you do cross the beach is a lot better for lolling on than at Olas Altas around the Belmar (where you also have to cross the street). Avenida del Mar is also quite noisy from all the vehicle traffic, day and night, so if you get an oceanview room you need to either be pretty noise resistant or sleep with the windows shut. The other both plus and minus is that it's sort of in the middle of town, which means that (a) if you're not a serious walker and/or (b) you want to take in the nightlife, you'll be taking a lot of pulmonias (the plus being it's a lot more central to everything, compared to travelling back and forth between the old town and the Zona Dorado (if you're into that kind of thing, personally I dislike the Zona with a passion....).

Several guidebooks recommend Hotel de Cima. I've stayed at the Plaza Marina because unlike Hotel de Cima it offers suites with kitchenettes (they're a bit more pricy than the de Cima, but offered separate bedroom, living/eating room, and a noisy but private balcony). It suffers from a bit of an identity crisis, having been a Best Western property, then a Howard Johnsons (there's also a Howard Johnson's further north along AdM), and now an independent, but the staff is quite friendly and accomodating and at least some of the rooms have been recently renovated.

The Plaza Aguamarina's restaurant is definitely nothing to write home about, but across the street there's several on-the-beach palapa restaurants. Of the bunch, I'd highly recommend Mariscos Puerto Azul, which had excellent oysters and clams (so fresh they'd ball up when you squirted them with limon), good shrimp, and pescado zarandeado which I still wake up in the middle of the night chewing on my pillow after dreaming about. Fair warning, these palapa restaurants open late morning, and close around 5 PM, so they're not options for cena. Also fair warning that although the restaurants are extremely basic (the sanitation may make you twitch), you can run a US-like luncheon meal tab if you go all out (a dozen oysters, a dozen clams, a plate of shrimp, and then zarandeado for two, all spread out over several hours, with mucho cerveza will probably set you back around $30).

A few blocks south along the main drag there's also Restaurant El Camachin which also serves a killer zarandeado in slightly more civilized (but still pretty basic) settings. El Camachin is also fun in that during the afternoon meal hour, in addition to a large quantity of mariachis and 3-piece norteno groups strolling through, they sometimes have a 12 piece Sinaloan brass band that assembles and plays for pay - it was kind of a surprise because the musicians straggled in in "street" clothing and were milling around in the back (I thought the management let them sort of hang out there) and then suddenly they struck up a tune.

(This post was edited by ET on Nov 24, 2002, 9:13 PM)

bryngerta

Jul 24, 2003, 11:52 AM

Post #5 of 7 (5071 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ET] Where Shoul We Stay in Mazatlan ???

can anyone tell me if there is an affordable place to stay in mazatlan that will allow pets? please advise asap!!! thank you

spiderwoman

Jul 24, 2003, 12:33 PM

Post #6 of 7 (5066 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bryngerta] Where Shoul We Stay in Mazatlan ???

Can't Post |
We rented this private home for two nights in Mazatlan. We had two dogs with us, which they had no problem with. It has a nice yard and has secure gated parking. I thought it was very reasonably priced at $86 U.S. a night. We stayed there the first part of April 2003,,, the home was brand new. Two bedrooms, two full baths, beautiful kitchen.

http://www.vacationsinmazatlan.com/angelaperalta.htm

They have other properties available,,, the Two Bedroom Villa was the one we stayed in.

Diana

Esteban

Jul 25, 2003, 8:20 AM

Post #7 of 7 (5044 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bryngerta] Where Shoul We Stay in Mazatlan ???

The following website will lead you to a place that rents to people with well behaved doggies. They have a sign in front of the place offering nightly stays for 300 pesos. It's close to the Plazuela Machado and lots of restaurants. http://www.pacificpearl.com/rincon_de_angela/index.htm

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4