Shortcut

Post deleted by radioguy | Private Reply

RickS

Dec 1, 2012, 8:22 PM

Post #2 of 16 (7548 views)

Shortcut

Re: [radioguy] Looking to Caravan - Guadalajara area to Eagle Pass or Laredo

Can't Post | Private Reply
OK. I understand the concept of RV'rs caravaning but I just don't understand the concept otherwise.

Will someone please enlighten me. Help me understand. How is it that one truly benefits from this practice (or attempt to practice)?

radioguy

Dec 1, 2012, 9:15 PM

Post #3 of 16 (7537 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Looking to Caravan - Guadalajara area to Eagle Pass or Laredo

I'm sorry RickS, but if you have to ask a question like that you would probably never understand the answer.

In Reply To

Rolly

Dec 1, 2012, 10:16 PM

Post #4 of 16 (7532 views)

Shortcut

Perhaps you could explain it to me. I also think it is nonsense.

Rolly Pirate

Altahabana

Dec 2, 2012, 5:06 AM

Post #5 of 16 (7517 views)

Shortcut

It would be invaluable in the event of some sort of vehicle breakdown. I think it might have a reassuring affect for people who are uneasy about driving in Mexico for whatever reason. From a practical standpoint, it is worthless as a security measure in the off chance there is an encounter with a cartel group in northern Mexico.

radioguy

Dec 2, 2012, 6:01 AM

Post #6 of 16 (7508 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Looking to Caravan - Guadalajara area to Eagle Pass or Laredo

Altahaban> Good points. But RickS & Rolly, this thread was not started to discuss the warrants, virtues or philosophies of a caravan. Please take your comments to a different post. You're not helping my cause here. I must now try and reclaim the wheel and steer this thing back on the road. Que tenga buen dia! :-)

(This post was edited by radioguy on Dec 2, 2012, 6:07 AM)

sioux4noff

Dec 2, 2012, 6:31 AM

Post #7 of 16 (7501 views)

Shortcut

The folks I know who caravan do it for the company along the way, assistance with breakdowns or other trouble, and well, for fun.
Why question the reasoning, it doesn't hurt any of us.

Altahabana

Dec 2, 2012, 6:33 AM

Post #8 of 16 (7501 views)

Shortcut

The chance of an encounter with malditos is extremely low, but the anxiety level when travelling through Zeta country is usually high. at least for people who have some awareness of what is out there. Caravaning would have considerable value if it reduces that anxiety level.

esperanza

Dec 2, 2012, 7:11 AM

Post #9 of 16 (7495 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Altahaban> Good points. But RickS & Rolly, this thread was not started to discuss the warrants, virtues or philosophies of a caravan. Please take your comments to a different post. You're not helping my cause here. I must now try and reclaim the wheel and steer this thing back on the road. Que tenga buen dia! :-)

Whoa, radioguy--you're new here. Try to take it a bit easy on the old-timers. Rolly offered an opinion only. He is unquestionably the kindest and most helpful person on this website. You might want to take a look at HIS website: http://www.rollybrook.com. Rolly has helped more people find their way through Mexico and its bureaucracies--both literally and figuratively--for as long as I can remember, and I've been on Mexconnect since 1999.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Dec 2, 2012, 7:12 AM)

radioguy

Dec 2, 2012, 7:25 AM

Post #10 of 16 (7490 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Looking to Caravan - Guadalajara area to Eagle Pass or Laredo

>>> esperanza, et al -- I may be relatively new to this particular forum, but jeezus... I've coming to Mexico since 1975! Sometimes I caravan and sometimes I don't. I don't need a bunch of old gringos trying to 'educate' me. I've got my reasons for and against a caravan. I have a good time on a caravan. I have regulars that I usually caravan with. This time, maybe not which is why I put up the post. But now a bunch of 'know-it-alls' feel the need to chime in with their 2 cents worth. Ask yourself, "was I able to help radioguy achieve his objective in trying to find someone to caravan with?" Isn't that really the objective of a forum -- to help others? None of these posts have amounted to a hill of beans to me.

Rolly

Dec 2, 2012, 7:43 AM

Post #11 of 16 (7487 views)

Shortcut

Isn't it wonderful how one's personality can shine through.

Rolly Pirate

radioguy

Dec 2, 2012, 8:18 AM

Post #12 of 16 (7482 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Looking to Caravan - Guadalajara area to Eagle Pass or Laredo

Rolly, I usually respect your insight and experience on these boards, but seriously... NONE of you have contributed any help in my finding someone to caravan with. Just a bunch of pontifications. Sorry if you think I sound bitter but all anybody has done here is get online and bang away at their keyboards without producing results in helping a fellow Mexconnect member. If you choose not to caravan that is your decision and I respect it. Now, respect my opinion. That's all.

RickS

Dec 2, 2012, 8:45 AM

Post #13 of 16 (7476 views)

Shortcut

" If you choose not to caravan that is your decision and I respect it. Now, respect my opinion."

It's hard to respect an opinion when one comes out swinging and namecalling like you have. No where in my post did I say your opinion stunk. You have dreamed that up. Go back and re-read my post. I did ask a question about caravaning by saying 'will someone please enlighten me...'. If you weren't up to that task, so be it, but please respect my right to ask without being lambasted and told condescendingly that 'I would probably not understand'.

And as far as 'helping a fellow Mexconnect member', I'll put my record up against yours here anytime.

Altahabana

Dec 2, 2012, 9:00 AM

Post #14 of 16 (7471 views)

Shortcut

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't consider threads on an open forum like this to be proprietary. They can and often do go in different directions than the original poster intended. I was not responding to the OP--or pontificating for that matter. I was responding to the two questions about why would people caravan. It was not intended to be disrespectful or however you may have interpreted the comments.

Rolly

Dec 2, 2012, 9:14 AM

Post #15 of 16 (7467 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Looking to Caravan - Guadalajara area to Eagle Pass or Laredo

Altahabana, your answers gave me a better perspective on caravaning.
Rolling worry beads.

Rolly Pirate

chicois8

Dec 6, 2012, 4:34 PM

Post #16 of 16 (7314 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Looking to Caravan - Guadalajara area to Eagle Pass or Laredo

Ward Bond is rolling over in his grave...
Ocanahua, Jalisco
San Mateo, California

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4