Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Sculptari

Dec 1, 2012, 12:27 PM

Post #1 of 3 (14780 views)

Shortcut

Discada versus Wok?

Can't Post |
I have a perfect place to setup a 100,000 btu outdoor propane burner and a wok. Stir fry parties are great because guests can choose what they want (different sauces too) and all the chef has to do is to stay sober and clatter around as though he knows what he is doing. My question is that I ran across these Mexican "Woks" called discadas. They are shallower than a wok, and are heavy iron or steel because they were originally disk plow blades. This should make to pan hotter. I think they would be better for stir fry and could also be used for paella. It should be easier for me to purchase a Mexican discada (off mercado libre for example) than a Chinese Wok. Just google discada you will see lots of photos and recipes. What do you think? Has anyone handled a discada?
no longer active on Mexconnect

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Dec 1, 2012, 9:14 PM

Post #2 of 3 (14764 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sculptari] Discada versus Wok?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I don't know about discadas, but I do know I bought a cast iron wok some years ago and it is the best vehicle for stir frying (and for fajitas) that I've ever found. It does take a while to heat up to temperature, but when it does--stand back and enjoy the heat. I think anything with enough mass will be an excellent tool for cooking. Woks tend to be sheet metal, and they are the pan of choice for quick high heat cooking, but that cast iron wok is just wonderful when you want to not only sear but also cook through chicken or beef for fajitas. Weighs a ton, though.

Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

N.

Anonimo

Dec 8, 2012, 6:06 PM

Post #3 of 3 (14667 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nancy in Pátzcuaro] Discada versus Wok?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Nancy, I think that we need a demonstration. :-)

Saludos,
Anonimo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4