Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jsepps

Nov 30, 2012, 6:40 PM

Post #1 of 29 (126454 views)

Shortcut

you know this salsa? !

Can't Post | Private Reply
A local place makes this salsa. I have never had anything like it before. I think it has tomatoes onions, peppers plus other things of course. I would like to copy the recipe but what makes it so orange? It looks like there might be some oil in there too

any clues would be great
thanks

jsepps

Dec 2, 2012, 6:13 AM

Post #2 of 29 (126405 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jsepps] you know this salsa? !

nobody wants to take a guess? I'm all out of ideas. I'm addicted to the stuff but the place is 80 miles away, I need my fix

esperanza

Dec 2, 2012, 7:15 AM

Post #3 of 29 (126399 views)

Shortcut

Best suggestion I can make: drive over there, get your fix, and ask for the recipe--then by all means post it back here. It would be all but impossible to guess what your salsa is. We don't know what part of Mexico you're in, and so many salsas are either regional or invented by the cook.

Let us know what you find out, please!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

jsepps

Dec 2, 2012, 7:48 AM

Post #4 of 29 (126391 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] you know this salsa? !

I understand its probably impossible. I have talked to the owner and he's not giving up the recipe. We are in the U.S. But he is from Mexico. I also know he probably invented it but I would figure its a variation of a different salsa. If I knew what made it orange it would help

Rolly

Dec 2, 2012, 8:03 AM

Post #5 of 29 (126387 views)

Shortcut

Saffron? Maybe annatto?

Rolly Pirate

esperanza

Dec 2, 2012, 10:15 AM

Post #6 of 29 (126371 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] you know this salsa? !

Definitely not saffron, Rolly, and most likely not achiote (annatto), either. It's probably the chile itself that gives it the color, and my best eyeball guess is chipotle.

OP, try this recipe: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/000325.html. When the author talks about 'smoked serrano', what he really means is chile chipotle, aka smoked jalapeño. At least it's the right color.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Dec 2, 2012, 10:17 AM)

Vichil

Dec 2, 2012, 10:22 AM

Post #7 of 29 (126368 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] you know this salsa? !

Saffron is way to expensive for a dip. Curcuman is used for coloring and is called the saffron of the poor in many countries but I agree with esperanza it is more likely chipotle , it would add taste and color and is inexpensive.

joaquinx

Dec 2, 2012, 11:53 AM

Post #8 of 29 (126356 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] you know this salsa? !

In Reply To
Saffron is way to expensive for a dip. Curcuman is used for coloring and is called the saffron of the poor in many countries but I agree with esperanza it is more likely chipotle , it would add taste and color and is inexpensive.

Chipotle would be much, much darker - on the maroon/brown color. From the picture it appears to be a nacho cheese salsa. Please tell me that I'm wrong!
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

morgaine7

Dec 2, 2012, 12:23 PM

Post #9 of 29 (126352 views)

Shortcut

My first thought was "queso fundido". The OP didn't mention a cheesy flavor, so my next thought was "tumeric". A Mexican-owned restaurant here in La Paz makes a creamy chipotle pasta sauce that's similar in color to the photo (a little less yellow), so that seems likely, too.

Kate

joaquinx

Dec 2, 2012, 1:33 PM

Post #10 of 29 (126339 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] you know this salsa? !

Look at this salsa made with chipotle and Philadelphia Cream Cheese http://tinyurl.com/d2j7kez
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

tashby

Dec 2, 2012, 3:35 PM

Post #11 of 29 (126325 views)

Shortcut

When I make a chipotle mayo, it ends up close to that color. So I agree it's a decent possibility.

But the rest of this is complete guesswork. You've got to convince the cook to tell you!

Bennie García

Dec 2, 2012, 6:41 PM

Post #12 of 29 (126307 views)

Shortcut

There are 2 possibilities that haven't been mentioned and match the color perfectly, carrots and habaneros and possibly both.

My wife makes a habanero and carrot salsa that is very thick which is the way the salsa in the picture appears to be. She also makes a salsa with habaneros, juice from bitter oranges (naranja agria) and homemade pinaeapple vinegar.

jsepps

Dec 3, 2012, 5:08 PM

Post #13 of 29 (126268 views)

Shortcut

I don't think there is any cream , cheese, or tumeric. Bennie could be on the right track as far as the carrots go. This stuff is refreshing tasting almost thirst quenching is the only way I can explain it.

I forgot to mention before that it contains chili de arbol

sfmacaws

Dec 4, 2012, 11:25 AM

Post #14 of 29 (126239 views)

Shortcut

If it were just habanero making it that orange, it would be VERY picante. If it is not, then I also think perhaps carrots. Chile de arbol would not give it that color and having both chile de arbol and habanero would be unusual and fiery.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

viktoremski

Dec 4, 2012, 1:55 PM

Post #15 of 29 (126224 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] you know this salsa? !

I don't know about the salsa pictured above, but my friend makes the best salsa in the world. Here is how, in case anyone would like to give it a try:

Ignacio’s Famous “Salsa Sonorense”
Need:
Tomatoes 2 lb
Chiles Jalapeños 2 ea
Onion (med.) ¼ ea
Salt to taste
Water 2 cups
Preparation:
In a medium pan, place tomatoes, jalapeños, and water.
Add salt to taste.
Cover, and bring to boil.
Lower heat and boil for 15min.
Let it cool, and then place all (with water) in a mixer.
Mix and place it in a container to cool it completely.
Place container with the pre-salsa mix in refrigerator for 2 ½ hour.
Take it out.
Chop onion in very small pieces and add it to the cold salsa.
Mix it with a spoon – it’s ready!

joaquinx

Dec 7, 2012, 2:40 PM

Post #16 of 29 (126161 views)

Shortcut

Re: you know this salsa? !

One last shot. At Chedraui today, I saw a bottle of salsa of the same color at the photo and it was made with Chipotle and Mango.
_______

jsepps

Mar 6, 2013, 3:38 PM

Post #17 of 29 (125304 views)

Shortcut

I do know there is chili de arbol in it. I don't know if they would be dried or not, or if that would give it the color

WV girl en el bajio

Mar 12, 2013, 3:25 PM

Post #18 of 29 (125157 views)

Shortcut

Hi! This looks like chimichurri. Could that be it? If so, it will contain several cloves of garlic, some base to blend the garlic with (usually mayonnaise, cream or oil depending on the recipe), chile de arbol (a dried chile), sometimes chile chipotle, etc

Bennie García

Mar 13, 2013, 10:06 PM

Post #19 of 29 (125114 views)

Shortcut

Re: [WV girl en el bajio] you know this salsa? !

In Reply To
Hi! This looks like chimichurri. Could that be it? If so, it will contain several cloves of garlic, some base to blend the garlic with (usually mayonnaise, cream or oil depending on the recipe), chile de arbol (a dried chile), sometimes chile chipotle, etc

Not even close to chimichuri.

WV girl en el bajio

Mar 14, 2013, 6:56 AM

Post #20 of 29 (125060 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] you know this salsa? !

Oops, sorry then. But just for the sake of clarity, I didn't mean the more well-known chimichurri argentino, which is green in color and is made of herbs, spices and oil. I was talking about a chimichurri which I know is common in the bajio, but not in other parts of Mexico. The picture here has chimichurri's typical orange color and specks of chile de arbol. Here are some links to pictures. (Sorry, all I could find were product pages).

http://www.chimideldesierto.com.mx/nosotros/

http://elempresario.mx/sites/default/files/imagecache/nota_completa/Chuimisalsa1.jpg

http://hechoenmexicob2b.com/uploadedimages/e1b4562fc296a9d76a00c7cb76660c6c.jpg

Some chimichurris are a deeper orange than those in the pictures.

I wish I could also taste your salsa to have a better idea. But anyway, that's what I think it looks like. I've certainly eaten my fair share of it here in Irapuato. That might not be it though. I'm sorry if this hasn't been of any help.

Good luck! =)

(This post was edited by WV girl en el bajio on Mar 14, 2013, 7:03 AM)

GPC2012

Jun 15, 2013, 4:34 PM

Post #21 of 29 (124004 views)

Shortcut

It looks almost exactly like the enchilada sauce at a place in Central Ca. The owner uses a specific type of chili that he imports from mexico, he also thickens his sauce like a gravy with a light roux. It is very orange in color. Questions I would have would be is this a tomato based sauce, or strictly chilis. fresh and blended or cooked and sieved or blended. Lots of possibilities.

jsepps

Nov 30, 2013, 6:07 PM

Post #22 of 29 (115524 views)

Shortcut

All I can get from anybody who works there is that there is chili de arbols and onions in it. The onions are cooked so I'm guessing it's all cooked.
When I eat it I get a hint of V8 juice (I think ) so maybe there is carrots in it
I'll do some experimenting soon

CozICan

Dec 2, 2013, 12:21 PM

Post #23 of 29 (115406 views)

Shortcut

Hola... You might want to try this recipe, it looks very similar to the photo. The Chiies Arbol are what gives it its orange colour and its Picante flavour. If you want it less Picante you might want to use part Chiles Arbor mixed with or substituted with guajillo chiles which are much milder. I have made this, the trick is to slowly add the oil while blending, it should emulsify similar to making Mayonnaise. Buena Suerte :)

20 Dried Chiles Arbol
2 Cloves of Elephant Garlic (I used more cloves of regular Garlic)

½ cup White Vinegar
½ cup 1-2-3 Oil
1) Soaked about 20 dried red chilis de arbol in 2 Tbs. oil & 2 Tbs. jalapeno pepper juice** (the canned kind - I use the San Marcos brand) for about 1 hour. I broke off the stems of the Chiles Arbol but left the chilies whole.
Every now & then, I would stir to just keep coating them.

2) Lifted the chilies out of the juice & threw them in my blender.

3) Coarsely chopped up two large gloves of elephant garlic

4) Poured about 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar into the blender

5) Hit "on" & let it grind until the chilies were chopped up.

6) Took out the middle of the cap and while the blender was running, poured the leftover oil/jalapeno juice into the mixture. Then slowly poured just straight 1-2-3 oil in. I didn't measure, but I was aiming for equal parts of oil & vinegar.....so probably about 1/2 cup.

7) Kept pulsing until all the chilies were chopped.

jsepps

Dec 3, 2013, 8:52 AM

Post #24 of 29 (115370 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CozICan] you know this salsa? !

I'll also add this salsa is not very hot. There is a little heat on the back end

its slightly sweet probably no sugar added but from the ingredients themselves

esperanza

Dec 3, 2013, 12:20 PM

Post #25 of 29 (115339 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CozICan] you know this salsa? !

In Reply To
Hola... You might want to try this recipe, it looks very similar to the photo. The Chiies Arbol are what gives it its orange colour and its Picante flavour. If you want it less Picante you might want to use part Chiles Arbor mixed with or substituted with guajillo chiles which are much milder. I have made this, the trick is to slowly add the oil while blending, it should emulsify similar to making Mayonnaise. Buena Suerte :)

20 Dried Chiles Arbol
I would say that this salsa is quite a bit more picante than the salsa in the OP.
2 Cloves of Elephant Garlic (I used more cloves of regular Garlic)

½ cup White Vinegar
½ cup 1-2-3 Oil
1) Soaked about 20 dried red chilis de arbol in 2 Tbs. oil & 2 Tbs. jalapeno pepper juice** (the canned kind - I use the San Marcos brand) for about 1 hour. I broke off the stems of the Chiles Arbol but left the chilies whole.
Every now & then, I would stir to just keep coating them.

2) Lifted the chilies out of the juice & threw them in my blender.

3) Coarsely chopped up two large gloves of elephant garlic

4) Poured about 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar into the blender

5) Hit "on" & let it grind until the chilies were chopped up.

6) Took out the middle of the cap and while the blender was running, poured the leftover oil/jalapeno juice into the mixture. Then slowly poured just straight 1-2-3 oil in. I didn't measure, but I was aiming for equal parts of oil & vinegar.....so probably about 1/2 cup.

7) Kept pulsing until all the chilies were chopped.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4