Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

mazbook1

Nov 28, 2012, 6:33 PM

Post #51 of 123 (9818 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Q and A about the new INM rules

Can't Post | Private Reply
Rolly, An active group of retirees here got together, and with the help of the Sinaloa Governor's office and the Sinaloa Tourism 0ffice arranged for Immigration, Customs (Aduana) and Hacienda to answer pre-submitted questions at a meeting that will be held tomorrow, here in Mazatlán.

Today the list of questions for Immigration, along with their answers became available as a PDF file, which I have attached to this post. It's actually quite interesting and answers some questions that had been on this forum. Not too much new, though.

Unfortunately, Aduana and Hacienda have NOT given their answers to the questions submitted to them. I'm hoping that they will do more than just "beat around the bush" tomorrow, but given that they don't seem to have any new regulations addressing the subject of the new INM regs, I have my doubts. IF they also have the answers to the questions that have been submitted to them, HOORAY! I will post them tomorrow evening, but…don't hold your breath!

This Q & A PDF leaves some, to me at least, obvious questions unanswered, but it's pretty complete for most folks. Now if Aduana and Hacienda can do theirs as well, we'll have a lot of good information to chew over.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Nov 28, 2012, 7:05 PM)
Attachments: Immigration Forum Q&A.pdf (184 KB)

Axixic

Nov 28, 2012, 7:01 PM

Post #52 of 123 (9812 views)

Shortcut

From www.vidamaz.com

"Tomorrow morning in Mazatlan, the expat community is having a forum related to all of the recent changes in immigration. The forum was arranged by the Governor’s Advisory Council and will feature representatives from Immigration, Aduana and Hacienda in an attempt to clarify a lot of the things we have all read about on various forums on the Internet."

Prepared questions and answers:

http://tinyurl.com/FM3-2-Q-and-A

Slideshow in English:

http://tinyurl.com/Slideshow-English

(This post was edited by Rolly on Nov 28, 2012, 8:14 PM)

La Isla

Nov 28, 2012, 7:37 PM

Post #53 of 123 (9797 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbook1] Q and A about the new INM rules

Mazbook1, I looked through the attachment you so kindly provided for us to look over. Unfortunately, there were no questions about people like me holding free-lance lucrativa visas. However, Question 9 deals with new applicants for residente temporal status needing to present proof of a minimum monthly income of $1950 US a month from either employment or a pension. I've never had to show proof of any sort of minimum income in the past and hopefully won't have to do so in the future. Any thoughts?

Yacatecuhtli

Nov 28, 2012, 7:45 PM

Post #54 of 123 (9793 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Q and A about the new INM rules

I have notice that you have asked the forum about your situation a number of times.

Have you tried calling the COT or sending an email to INM to ask them about it ?

If not you can send an Email at the following link

http://www.inm.gob.mx/consultas/open.php

! Al pan, pan y al vino, vino !

mazbook1

Nov 28, 2012, 8:06 PM

Post #55 of 123 (9782 views)

Shortcut

La Isla, First, keep in mind that you have 4 prórrogas on your current no inmigrante (FM3). THEN…

Read the following Q & As carefully, digesting each one fully before going on to the next:

#10 and
#11 in the first group, THEN:

#13 in the second group.

The last one of those questions didn't specify lucrativa, but asked whether there was any difference for foreign business owners, which is just actividades lucrativas (that's all I ever had), nothing more, nothing less. You are a "foreign business owner" as far as Hacienda and INM are concerned.

I really believe you will see that ALL of your worries are covered and that you can go directly from no inmigrante - actividades lucrativas to Resident Permanente without any proofs of income (although you probably will need your latest paid Hacienda return, just as you did before). Of course, Residente Permanente automatically grants the right to work in México, whether independently or for someone.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Nov 28, 2012, 8:09 PM)

La Isla

Nov 28, 2012, 8:22 PM

Post #56 of 123 (9769 views)

Shortcut

Mazbook, thanks this personalized reading guide to the Q & A for the Immigration Forum. Before reading it, I had indeed come to the conclusion that I would be able to go from No Inmigrante to Residente Permanente because I have 4 prórrogas on my No Inmigrante card. What threw me for a loop was the mention of a minimum income for lucrativa people, something I had never heard of before. Though it doesn't apply to me, I know for a fact that many people working here legally at English schools make a great deal less than $1950 a month. If most of these schools had to pay their foreign teachers that much money, they would stop hiring them and stick to Mexican teachers. Anyway, thanks again for your help!

YucaLandia

Nov 28, 2012, 8:32 PM

Post #57 of 123 (9763 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Speculating about what Aduana may or may not do is a waste of energy.
We just need to be patient and wait for them to decide.
It may be some while. Bureaucratic wheels turn slowly.

Waiting for Aduana's final decision is a fine approach for people whose current permits do not expire soon. People with currently expiring permits may find value in choosing the type of Tarjeta de Residencia that most likely allows them to keep their TIP car, and avoid getting a type of Tarjeta de Residencia that most likely will not allow TIP foreign plated cars based on years of consistent legal precedents.

If multiple legal precedents and legal principles all point to one type of INM permit holder being forced to take their foreign-plated car out of Mexico permanently, then it seems worth reporting both the legal principles and legal precedents.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

mazbook1

Nov 28, 2012, 8:37 PM

Post #58 of 123 (9759 views)

Shortcut

La Isla, IF those folks are working NOW with a valid no inmigrante - actividades lucrativas, even if they have less than the $1950 USD monthly income, they can go directly to a new Residente Temporal without any proof of income (again, probably, but not necessarily, a copy of their latest Hacienda return). They are only going to be in a bind when they have 4 years of residency (total from their no inmigrante + whatever on their new Residente Temporal). That is one of those "obvious to me" questions that doesn't seem to have been answered. Since they won't be allowed (according to the Q & A) to start over with a new Residente Temporal, will they be allowed to switch to Residente Permanente without additional proofs of income? The Q & A seems to IMPLY that they can, but doesn't come right out and say so.

Of course, if they are on their prórroga 3 or 4 and going for renewal, they can go straight to Residente Permanente, just as you do. No additional proofs of income necessary.

(This post was edited by mazbook1 on Nov 28, 2012, 9:35 PM)

mazbook1

Nov 28, 2012, 8:45 PM

Post #59 of 123 (9748 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Q and A about the new INM rules

Steve, MAYBE, just maybe, we will have some answers (without evasions) on this very important (being so close to the border, we have lots of long-term FM3 folks—only a few FM2 inmigrante - rentista ones though—who drive only foreign registered cars) question tomorrow. But, as I said before, don't hold your breath.

La Isla

Nov 28, 2012, 8:47 PM

Post #60 of 123 (9748 views)

Shortcut

Almost none of my TEFL friends who are working in Mexico make anywhere near $1950 a month, not even those working full-time at decent universities. I have the feeling that schools and universities and other educational institutions in the country who regularly hire foreign teachers will soon be petitioning INM for a change in these income requirements, or maybe they'll have to give all their foreign teachers big fat raises :)!

morgaine7

Nov 28, 2012, 9:11 PM

Post #61 of 123 (9739 views)

Shortcut

Steve, MAYBE, just maybe, we will have some answers (without evasions) on this very important (being so close to the border, we have lots of long-term FM3 folks—only a few FM2 inmigrante - rentista ones though—who drive only foreign registered cars) question tomorrow. But, as I said before, don't hold your breath.

Wow, I'd never have described Mazatlán as close to the border, but then I whine about having to drive across town to City Club, LOL. Thanks very much for posting this useful information. Wish they'd said more than sí or no in some of the answers, but more details should come out in the meeting. Good luck!

Kate

viktoremski

Nov 29, 2012, 12:29 PM

Post #62 of 123 (9679 views)

Shortcut

In section "Questions from International Community", #6 regarding permit to travel outside of Mexico: Do you really need one if you, let's say are planning to go on a month long trip to Europe?

stevebrtx

Nov 29, 2012, 4:14 PM

Post #63 of 123 (9621 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viktoremski] Q and A about the new INM rules

I had time to look at the Nationalization rules and mine qualifies, but it will be a bitter cold day in MX when I fork over $3K plus the hassle to keep my car here.

sparks

Nov 29, 2012, 6:46 PM

Post #64 of 123 (9580 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Q and A about the new INM rules

Bitter cold of the north then?

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

mazbook1

Nov 29, 2012, 6:59 PM

Post #65 of 123 (9574 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viktoremski] Q and A about the new INM rules

"In section "Questions from International Community", #6 regarding permit to travel outside of Mexico: Do you really need one if you, let's say are planning to go on a month long trip to Europe?"

That one was easy to misunderstand. The Q was about the permit to travel that you have to get IF you must travel while your Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente is in process (since you won't have any other papers saying you are a legal resident of México). They SAY that that time will only be 20 days, but I'm betting it will be longer.

mazbook1

Nov 29, 2012, 7:07 PM

Post #66 of 123 (9569 views)

Shortcut

Also, as I feared, Hacienda didn't show or answer any questions at the Mazatlán forum and Aduana only evaded questions. Aduana did say (this was well after Migración was done) that IF your Residente Permanente is of the "rentista" type, no problem with your foreign-plated car. Well, I see a BIG problem! Residente Permanente automatically gives one the right to work and/or earn money in México, and as far as I can discover there is no such thing as "Residente Permanente - rentista" under the new law, so it's a question still very "up-in-the-air".

morgaine7

Nov 29, 2012, 7:22 PM

Post #67 of 123 (9568 views)

Shortcut

"Residente Permanente rentista" was quoted on another forum as coming from INM, and I wondered. If Permanente never has to be renewed, how would they know year to year where one's money is coming from? I assume no INM folks were still around to correct him?

Kate

mazbook1

Nov 29, 2012, 7:33 PM

Post #68 of 123 (9566 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Q and A about the new INM rules

Kate, If there were, they kept very silent. This is about par for the course. The state Governor's office makes a big deal about these informational meetings they arrange for the expats and snowbirds living here, but the reality is that it's mostly political puffery.

stevebrtx

Nov 30, 2012, 7:34 AM

Post #69 of 123 (9514 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Q and A about the new INM rules

Actually not so cold, I was in TX for a week, never gave up the shorts, beautiful weather. But I'm seeing rentista here and on TOB, I rent, am I one and just don't know it?

bournemouth

Nov 30, 2012, 7:46 AM

Post #70 of 123 (9508 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Q and A about the new INM rules

A rentista is someone whose income comes from pensions/investments.

dstan

Nov 30, 2012, 8:23 AM

Post #71 of 123 (9493 views)

Shortcut

OK, I have a situation that is causing me concern....I have an FM3, got it last spring in March. While back in Canada my purse got stolen and I lost the card. What should I do when I enter back into Mexico next week? Should I tell the immigration at the airport or just get a tourist visa and then go to the nearest IMM? I am very stupid and did not make a photo copy of it!!! Kicking myself a few times! Thanks for any suggestions

stevebrtx

Nov 30, 2012, 8:43 AM

Post #72 of 123 (9486 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Q and A about the new INM rules

Ok, I get SSI and a retirement check from the State of Texas, guess I'm one I definitely don't get any income from MX for sure, it's only a swirly down the drain, but I'm also seeing on TOB "there is no such thing as Permanent Rentista - so, who can tell.

Rolly

Nov 30, 2012, 8:59 AM

Post #73 of 123 (9478 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dstan] Q and A about the new INM rules

Dstan, enter as a tourist, and then go to the INM office where you got the No Inmigrante (FM3).
They will replace your card. It will cost the renewal fee.

Rolly Pirate

dstan

Nov 30, 2012, 9:08 AM

Post #74 of 123 (9474 views)

Shortcut

thank you for the advise....so I will still have my nonimigrante status (old FM3) till next March? I don't have to go through this new process yet? and lastly, how much is the renewal fee?

thank you again.

Rolly

Nov 30, 2012, 9:29 AM

Post #75 of 123 (9465 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dstan] Q and A about the new INM rules

I don't know what kind of card you will get.
My guess is you will be issued a Residente Temporal which will cost $3,130 pesos.

Rolly Pirate
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4