Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

dianaferrero

Nov 29, 2012, 3:56 PM

Post #1 of 15 (7311 views)

Shortcut

TV interviews of U.S. Retirees in San Miguel

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello,

I am a journalist, currently living in Mexico. I am working on an international TV news report about U.S. retirees in Mexico taking part in Mexico's government health care program.

I will be filming in San Miguel de Allende this coming week. I would like to do some on-camera interviews with experts on expats retirement planning, as well as interviews with U.S. retirees who are benefiting from the local health care in Mexico.
Many thanks and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

All the best,
Diana
dianaferrero@yahoo.com

bronco

Dec 5, 2012, 9:20 PM

Post #2 of 15 (7193 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dianaferrero] TV interviews of U.S. Retirees in San Miguel

dear diana, this is not a great topic now. best to do a piece on the private drs. & how reasonable their fees are, how good the care is. we dont need any more bad PR that we are draining the system, flooding the country looking for a hand out. few people use that public care anyway.

prorader

May 17, 2013, 12:43 PM

Post #3 of 15 (5392 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bronco] TV interviews of U.S. Retirees in San Miguel

I use Seguro Popular as well as a private Doctor. SP I go once a month for a Blood Pressure check up almost at the end of the day and no one is there. I did have my Gall Bladder removed with 4 follow up visits under SP. I have now found a Hospital in Guadalajara, first class that worked on both my knees and billed the VA direct which is the best way to go, and I do mean first class. If you are a disabled Vet, under the Foregin Medical Branch and have a service connected Ortho problem send me a note

papayalover

May 22, 2013, 8:11 AM

Post #4 of 15 (5265 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bronco] TV interviews of U.S. Retirees in San Miguel

Bronco: She's a journalist; she has the duty to cover the story fairly, not to cover-up or print another rah-rah fluff piece about happy expats.

joaquinx

May 22, 2013, 8:24 AM

Post #5 of 15 (5260 views)

Shortcut

Re: [prorader] TV interviews of U.S. Retirees in San Miguel

Apparently, prorader doesn't give a email address nor wants to receive private messages. Post an explaination about Foreign Medical Branch
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Rolly

May 22, 2013, 9:15 AM

Post #6 of 15 (5246 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] TV interviews of U.S. Retirees in San Miguel

My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.
Ain't it the truth.

Rolly Pirate

La Isla

May 22, 2013, 11:50 AM

Post #7 of 15 (5227 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] TV interviews of U.S. Retirees in San Miguel

In Reply To
Ain't it the truth.

For me too.

robt65

May 22, 2013, 10:21 PM

Post #8 of 15 (5188 views)

Shortcut

If you are a military veteran with a service connected medical issue you can be treated here in Mexico. You need to register with the "Foreign Medical Program" located on the VA's website. Look it up it is easy to do and there are all the contact numbers you need. I don't blame proraider at all for not providing an e. mail contact or his right for refusing PM's. I have written to him via the postings here and he has been very helpful and knowledgeable about the program.

http://www.va.gov/...iaries/fmp/apply.asp

Regards,
Robt65

joaquinx

May 23, 2013, 6:11 AM

Post #9 of 15 (5165 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] TV interviews of U.S. Retirees in San Miguel

Robert, thanks. Somehow I felt that there was no program available in Mexico. I did get some service thorough the benefits office at the embassy in Mexico City, but that was years ago. Thanks for the url.
_______

robt65

May 23, 2013, 10:32 PM

Post #10 of 15 (5097 views)

Shortcut

Your welcome,

you will only receive care if you are a service connected vet or if you are on tri care. A lot of hoops to jump through.

Robt65.

fugawibill

Jun 17, 2013, 1:57 PM

Post #11 of 15 (4723 views)

Shortcut

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N938k6lIugY Not her, but published before she was to do her interviews.

robt65

Jun 17, 2013, 9:24 PM

Post #12 of 15 (4679 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fugawibill] TV interviews of U.S. Retirees in San Miguel

Hello fugawibill

Why should I look at this? As a 100% service connected veteran, I have now excellent health care through the VA Foreign Medical Health Care Program, and I paid my own way before through private Mexican doctors. I have no need to infringe upon a society, that has a very hard time keeping up with it's own (citizens) people in need of decent health care.

I have an 86 year old disabled father in law who was in the new hospital in San Juan del Rio, and was on an IV drip for an early morning scheduled double toe amputation due to gangrene. A 1PM that night his elderly wife (at our home) was called to come and get him as they needed his bed for another patient (a teacher) who was waiting in the lobby. Reason: The newly opened hospital could not afford to buy the number of beds or pay the required staff for that hospital to operate at more than 40% capacity at the time. It still (two years later does not have the required staff or beds to operate a 100%. Oh yes and I forgot . . . . . . . . . . that was the second time in three to four weeks they pulled the same stunt.

Now why in the world should I avail myself to such a health care system that would bounce an 86 year old man, (a Pemex pensioner who has faithfully paid his dues all his life into the system), out of a bed when he already had his IV prep in his arm and was prepped for the early morning necessary emergency surgery? The system cannot afford to take car of their own especially in the smaller pueblos'. Yet some doctor that without a doubt earned far more than I did in a work lifetime, can get onto the Mexican social security system by some fluke of the law because he owns a house or whatever. Do you mean to tell me this retired NOB doctor and his wife can not afford to pay for a reasonable cost health insurance here? hat's funny because I jut tis past week bought a very good health care coverage policy with an excellent rated company that is full coverage and as access to some of the very best the best rated doctors and hospitals in México, and he can't afford it?

May I remind you that wasn't a hotel you saw him and his wife being photographed in, it was his fancy home in San Miguel de Allende. Does this man and his wife have no pride or self worth? I don't know about you, but to me that smacks of the very thing Americans point their finger to with the Mexican immigrants (legal and otherwise) living NOB, only trying to earn a living for their family about.

NO thanks fugawibill, I'll pass on that kind of unequal system. I earned my service connected health care benefits and I intend on using them. I will also pay for my wife and young children's health care as well by investing in a good and fairly priced Mexican Health Care policy. Now I agree that some NOB folks have the need but I do think that the Mexican people should be served first then if there is a reasonable avenue that a NOB retired person can be served then fine, serve them, after they have paid a fair amount into the system.

That's my two pesos worth.

Regards,
Robt65

fugawibill

Jun 17, 2013, 10:37 PM

Post #13 of 15 (4668 views)

Shortcut

Sorry, I just posted on the end of the comments, without paying attention to whom I was responding. I love your two pesos worth, as you stated my feelings exactly, and in a more elegant manner. I left a comment below the YouTube video.

mazbeach

Jun 18, 2013, 7:03 AM

Post #14 of 15 (4645 views)

Shortcut

Hi Robt65 - Well said, and I'm not a retired or disabled vet. Just a vet. These are the same sort of people I see here that rent out a condo six months a year and don't report the income, all the while taking all that the system has to offer for permanent residents. Shame on them.

robt65

Jun 18, 2013, 6:15 PM

Post #15 of 15 (4576 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbeach] TV interviews of U.S. Retirees in San Miguel

You hit nail on the head mazbeach. A bunch of cheap bas#$*#s. Folks that take unnecessary advantage of others. Anyway glad you liked the response and thanks for the kudos, not necessary, but just how I feel.

Robt65

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4