Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

mazbook1

Nov 24, 2012, 12:19 PM

Post #26 of 123 (16394 views)

Shortcut

Re: [BajaBarry] Q and A about the new INM rules

Can't Post | Private Reply
So far it appears that there is no "time out of México" limit for those with Residente Permanente status.

BajaBarry

Nov 24, 2012, 12:35 PM

Post #27 of 123 (16391 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Q and A about the new INM rules

My No Inmigrante card has a Caracteristea of Visitante. I have seen others reference Rentista, which I assume is instead of Visitante. My question is whether this Caracteristea has an impact on moving to Residente Permanente at expiration - currently at Prorroga 4.

Thanks

mazbook1

Nov 24, 2012, 1:19 PM

Post #28 of 123 (16385 views)

Shortcut

Simple answer: No!

Rob H

Nov 24, 2012, 11:18 PM

Post #29 of 123 (16324 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Q and A about the new INM rules

In Reply To
We got an interesting comment this morning about the requirement for foreigners needing to return to their home country to file residency applications with a Mexican Consulate in their home country.
Original y copia del documento que acredite su legal estancia, si la persona extranjera no es nacionaldel país donde solicita la visa.
If they are correct, then it would be a big help to a number of people who have residency permits in countries close to Mexico, saving them long expensive travels back home. e.g. One fellow from India in Mexico on a Visitors permit, really would like to use his US Permanent Residency status, and apply for Mexican Residency from a Consulate in the USA.

That person was me, but my understanding was different: I read "legal estancia" as a "legal stay" in the country, NOT (just) resident of the country. In other words, it should include a visitor who entered legally on a tourist visa (or waiver) and can document it.

Then I saw Rolly has used the term "in a country where you are a legal resident".

On the INM website, it says that visitor visas (for those that need them), may be applied for at ANY Mexican consulate:
http://www.inm.gob.mx/...php/page/Paises_Visa "deberán solicitar en algún consulado mexicano"

Can anybody point to anything which clarifies whether the temporary/permanent visas simply requires a "legal stay" (as it seems to state: somebody in the country legally) or in fact does require residence? If the latter, it would follow the US practice (US visas can generally only be obtained in your home country or a country where you are a legal resident). I just don't see that mentioned anywhere, in the law, regulations, procedures or forms (but I may well have missed it).

The reason I care: it would be more convenient for a British person I know to apply at the Yuma AZ consulate rather than back in Europe, they are not a US resident but can enter the US legally as a tourist.

Rob

YucaLandia

Nov 25, 2012, 5:52 AM

Post #30 of 123 (16308 views)

Shortcut

There is nothing in the 2011 Law, Reglamento, or either of the 2 Lineamientos that describe any limits on how long a Residente Permanente can be outside of Mexico. Your completing 4 years on your No Inmigrante qualify you nicely for Residente Permanente, based on most INM office's applications of the new rules.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

BajaBarry

Nov 25, 2012, 3:18 PM

Post #31 of 123 (16215 views)

Shortcut

What is the new situation regarding Permanent status and vehicles?

Rolly

Nov 25, 2012, 3:47 PM

Post #32 of 123 (16203 views)

Shortcut

Aduana has not announced revised rules yet, but it's very unlikely that Permanente folks will be able to have a foreign car.
Residente Permanente is just a rename of the old Inmigrado which did not allow foreign cares.

Rolly Pirate

stevebrtx

Nov 26, 2012, 4:22 AM

Post #33 of 123 (16131 views)

Shortcut

Rolly, what will I have to do to get MX plates?
http://www.chapalaweather.net

YucaLandia

Nov 26, 2012, 5:34 AM

Post #34 of 123 (16121 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Q and A about the new INM rules

7, 8, or 9 year old models... 10 yr old models still accepted? We have one report of: "no" .
(but I suspect the supposed 10 yr old car was outside of the Oct. 31 model year limit date)

VIN must begin with a number.

Other info is listed at: http://yucalandia.wordpress.com/...ing-a-car-in-mexico/

e.g. You could use Banjercito's official VIN checker to check the eligibility of your car and get estimates of the import duties:

http://paisano.prevalidadorcaaarem.org.mx/Cotizador/

steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

John Shrall

Nov 26, 2012, 6:34 AM

Post #35 of 123 (16103 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Q and A about the new INM rules

Anticipating a change to inmigrado in November, I spent quite a bit of time researching how to nationalize my qualifying 10 year old vehicle this past year. The costs of sending the car to the border by carrier were prohibitive, upwards of $3,000 US. It was hard to justify that sort of expense for a car worth not much more than that.

I found another source whose cost was more reasonable. He required that I drive the car to the border. I never had a real warm and fuzzy feeling that this avenue was going to work and sure enough, about a month before our trip I get an email from my contact saying his broker in Laredo had passed him bad papers on cars recently presented for nationalization. Big trouble for all involved.

We bought a used car in Guadalajara and drove both back to Texas where I sold the old one and drove the new one back.

I agree with Rolly that if residente permanente is just a rename of inmigrado then it is likely that the inmigrado car rule will apply but as we know logic doesn't always apply here. Having a Mexican plated car eliminates a lot of headaches and is really pretty easy to do. Lots of folks will be anxiously waiting for Aduana's new rules for those on permanente status.

BajaBarry

Nov 26, 2012, 10:06 AM

Post #36 of 123 (16054 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Aduana has not announced revised rules yet, but it's very unlikely that Permanente folks will be able to have a foreign car.
Residente Permanente is just a rename of the old Inmigrado which did not allow foreign cares.

Reading YucaLandia's page on importation, there is:
There are also special exemptions from requirements to get a vehicle import permit, if the vehicle only stays in special “Free Zones”
So, assuming no change from Inmigrado would a Residente Permanente in a "Free Zone" be legal driving a non-Mexican plated vehicle?

careyeroslib

Nov 26, 2012, 11:33 AM

Post #37 of 123 (16034 views)

Shortcut

With respect to vehicles, I found Soulpatch´s experience interesting, as related in the latter part of his "San Diego Consulate experience " thread.

He and his family obtained Residente Pernamente recently. He also recently got a TIP for his foreign plated vehicle. He reported ´(post of November 17th).

"I am reading the back of the TIP and it states that "by an immigrant receiving a pension from a foreign government (that would be me) or from investments abroad(retired income holders). "

He has a recent Residente Permanente AND a recent TIP.

AlanMexicali

Nov 26, 2012, 12:03 PM

Post #38 of 123 (16024 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

There is nothing in the 2011 Law, Reglamento, or either of the 2 Lineamientos that describe any limits on how long a Residente Permanente can be outside of Mexico. Your completing 4 years on your No Inmigrante qualify you nicely for Residente Permanente, based on most INM office's applications of the new rules.
steve [End quote]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I just got back from INM again and there are no out of the country travel restrictions on my Residente Temporal status and they claim they will process it in 17 days [not working days] and they sent the package to Mexico City. I presume the fingerprints and photos will also be sent to Mexico City as well, but forgot to ask, and the card will be issued by INM in Mexico City. Alan

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Nov 26, 2012, 12:09 PM)

Rolly

Nov 26, 2012, 12:14 PM

Post #39 of 123 (16016 views)

Shortcut

Re: [careyeroslib] Q and A about the new INM rules

A correction -- He got the TIP while he had a Visitante before he applied for his Permanente.
The question is once his Permanente is approved, what happens with his TIP?
My guess is that it will become void.

Rolly Pirate

barmarr

Nov 27, 2012, 9:59 AM

Post #40 of 123 (15910 views)

Shortcut

We are currently in the 4th year of our FM3 (expires May 2013). Does that mean we still have to let it expire and re-enter Mexico?
What about the INM law that you must have at least FM3 to own property in Mexico?
Marilyn

Rolly

Nov 27, 2012, 10:07 AM

Post #41 of 123 (15903 views)

Shortcut

Re: [barmarr] Q and A about the new INM rules

We are currently in the 4th year of our FM3 (expires May 2013). Does that mean we still have to let it expire and re-enter Mexico?
No. You will be able to change to Residente Permanente

What about the INM law that you must have at least FM3 to own property in Mexico?
There is no such INM law. INM does not make the property laws.

Rolly Pirate

skier14

Nov 27, 2012, 10:18 AM

Post #42 of 123 (15901 views)

Shortcut

I entered my VIN for my 1996 NEON and received a reply of no information available. What do you think?

YucaLandia

Nov 27, 2012, 2:59 PM

Post #43 of 123 (15851 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skier14] Q and A about the new INM rules

A '96 Neon is way out of the 7, 8, 9 model year old window of vehicles eligible to import, so, the VIN checker should not be expected to work.
-
Read-on MacDuff

YucaLandia

Nov 28, 2012, 6:43 AM

Post #44 of 123 (15782 views)

Shortcut

The issue of whether the newly minted Residente Permanente expats will be allowed to keep their foreign-plated cars, is quite a hot potato. …and still very much unresolved…

Aduana regulations control our Temporary Import Permits (TIP) on foreign-plated cars and trucks. The current Aduana regulations are written using the old INM terminology and old category names, so no one knows how to apply the Aduana regs to the new INM categories. Aduana has issued no guidance and/or no opinions on how they will handle our TIPs, with all the INM changes.

I personally think that Residente Temporal Tarjeta de Residencia holders will be allowed to keep their TIPs, and Residente Permanente permit holders will have to surrender their TIPS, ... ~ hopefully in some GRAND AMNESTY , maybe they will be allowed to ¡ Keep their cars ! ~ as they did once in the past….

Why will Residente Permanente's in general not be allowed to keep their cars? Read on.... Opinions offered without explaining the justifications are generally worth squat. Consider the four legal principles Aduana used in establishing TIP rules:
The Aduana regs allow ....

see http://yucalandia.wordpress.com/...ip-cars-the-article/

enjoy,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by Rolly on Nov 28, 2012, 7:57 AM)

sfmacaws

Nov 28, 2012, 3:02 PM

Post #45 of 123 (15699 views)

Shortcut

From your lips to god's ear. I so hope that there is some kind of amnesty under the new PRI feds. From what I'm reading I will be eligible for residente permanente when my latest FM2 expires next October. However, I have an old jeep and I love that jeep, more than I would love the permanent visa. So, either there is an amnesty or I'll be returning to Belize and living on a tourist visa.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

bronco

Nov 28, 2012, 3:06 PM

Post #46 of 123 (15696 views)

Shortcut

i am @ program #4 (FM3), will apply for #5 beginning of december. 1) have they kept the financials @ the same higher requirements? or is it NO financials? 2) or is it going back to the old way? financials yes, but the lower amount? 3) last i heard was that theres no $$ checking, & you are audomaticly set for many years, once you finish the program #4. 4)what is the story TODAY??? seems my lawyer has gotton several stories per week, & he makes no promices for the future. he said its day by day, & next week it may chane because of the new administration. i am not asking about cars, property, only the requirements. thankyou.

La Isla

Nov 28, 2012, 4:01 PM

Post #47 of 123 (15678 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bronco] Q and A about the new INM rules

In Reply To
i am @ program #4 (FM3), will apply for #5 beginning of december. ... what is the story TODAY??? seems my lawyer has gotton several stories per week, & he makes no promices for the future. he said its day by day, & next week it may chane because of the new administration. ...

I assume by "program" #4", you are referring to "prórroga" #4.

Your lawyer made a good point about the possibility of even more changes taking place once the PRI is back in power.

bronco

Nov 28, 2012, 4:28 PM

Post #48 of 123 (15665 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Q and A about the new INM rules

with in the past 19 days i have heard about 8 different versions of the new rules. each swings in an OPPOSITE direction. usually if a story is too good to true than its not, i usually dont believe anyting. i am waiting untill the last minute to do the renewal, or what ever they choose to call it. they can also change the system while your papers are there, deport you if you are rejected, do anything.

careyeroslib

Nov 28, 2012, 4:34 PM

Post #49 of 123 (15661 views)

Shortcut

With respect to the current TIPs, I would be interested in seeing what th eactual Spanish says on the back of the currently issued TIP. Soupatch ( see my post above) translated into English. Anyone know?

I wasn´t aware that the term "inmigrante" was part of the terminology of the current legislation or regs. I thought now we had only terms like Permanente and Temporal (residentes). No more no-inmigrante, migrante or inmigrado (terminology).

So if Aduana is still using the term immigrant, but meaning people who have demonstrated they have resources out of the country (effectively rentistas), it´s not clear what they intend to do with foreign plated cars driven by current holders of whatever they now call whatever it is we have, but, are up-to-date and legal.

Perhaps Aduana intends to draw the line only for Citizens. (No idea. Vamos a ver)

Rolly

Nov 28, 2012, 4:50 PM

Post #50 of 123 (15652 views)

Shortcut

Re: [careyeroslib] Q and A about the new INM rules

Speculating about what Aduana may or may not do is a waste of energy.
We just need to be patient and wait for them to decide.
It may be some while. Bureaucratic wheels turn slowly.

Rolly Pirate
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4