Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

simpsca

Nov 24, 2012, 8:11 AM

Post #1 of 43 (6728 views)

Shortcut

Count your change at Walmart

Can't Post | Private Reply
Yesterday I bought about 250 pesos worth of goods at Walmart. I gave the cashier a 500 peso note - the receipt said change is 250 pesos. I showed her the receipt and money in my hand (she gave me 50 pesos) and said another 200 pesos please. She took the next customer and the line was getting crowded because I didn't move. When she opened the drawer for the next customer she gave me the 200 pesos she had shorted. Didn't bat an eyelash or say sorry.

So count your change at Walmart!

(This post was edited by simpsca on Nov 24, 2012, 8:20 AM)

Yacatecuhtli

Nov 24, 2012, 10:19 AM

Post #2 of 43 (6699 views)

Shortcut

Re: [simpsca] Count your change at Walmart

You should count your change EVERYWHERE, EVERY TIME it only makes sense !

! Al pan, pan y al vino, vino !

bronco

Nov 24, 2012, 10:32 AM

Post #3 of 43 (6695 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Yacatecuhtli] Count your change at Walmart

small groceria: one small bottle of water is 5 pesos. i gave 50 pesos, & got only 5 pesos back. he owed me 45 pesos, he was 40 short. i did insist & it was returned. in general i carry small change or a 20 peso note bills. also be careful of taxis.

esperanza

Nov 24, 2012, 11:58 AM

Post #4 of 43 (6683 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bronco] Count your change at Walmart

Bronco, there is no such thing as a 'groceria'. If you're talking about a mom-n-pop small store that carries food items and a world of other things, it would be an abarrotes.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

La Isla

Nov 24, 2012, 1:58 PM

Post #5 of 43 (6672 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Count your change at Walmart

In Reply To
Bronco, there is no such thing as a 'groceria'. If you're talking about a mom-n-pop small store that carries food items and a world of other things, it would be an abarrotes.

And be careful when using the word "grosería" because it can mean "rudeness", a "vulgar remark" or a "swear word" :) !

johanson

Nov 24, 2012, 2:48 PM

Post #6 of 43 (6666 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Count your change at Walmart

Yes, that is a swear word. And boy have I made a lot of mistakes learning Spanish. My teacher was a relative then 15. Now he and his wife are "Fresas" and won't let me use the words he taught me. I had no idea the words I was learning were only used "on the street", but not socially with grown up educated friends.

La Isla

Nov 24, 2012, 2:53 PM

Post #7 of 43 (6664 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Count your change at Walmart

In Reply To
Yes, that is a swear word. And boy have I made a lot of mistakes learning Spanish. My teacher was a relative then 15. Now he and his wife are "Fresas" and won't let me use the words he taught me. I had no idea the words I was learning were only used "on the street", but not socially with grown up educated friends.

That's the problem with learning Spanish "on the street" or from a 15-year-old with no sense of what words are and aren't appropriate to use in different situations. I know the Spanish I speak and write is a bit on the formal side, but that may be better than using all sorts of slang that could give certain Mexicans a bad impression of me. I hope you didn't get into any weird situations before you deleted the "groserías" from your active vocabulary :)!

joaquinx

Nov 24, 2012, 3:16 PM

Post #8 of 43 (6656 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
small groceria: one small bottle of water is 5 pesos. i gave 50 pesos, & got only 5 pesos back. he owed me 45 pesos, he was 40 short. i did insist & it was returned. in general i carry small change or a 20 peso note bills. also be careful of taxis.

I'm not to sure about the usage here. If I was making this purchase and was given that amount of change back, it would be a big grosería
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

(This post was edited by joaquinx on Nov 24, 2012, 3:17 PM)

johanson

Nov 24, 2012, 3:23 PM

Post #9 of 43 (6654 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Count your change at Walmart

I had the occasional minor problem, but I'm a fast learner when it comes to "stop using" bad words. What I think is funny, is that because I know these bad words as well, many of the educated believe I speak even better Spanish than I do. I have much to learn, but I can make myself understood.

Speaking the language makes living in Mexico so much better. Please folks, if you want to like/love Mexico even more, learn the language. :)

Oh, and now that Thanksgiving us over in both the Canada and the US, let me be the first to wish you all a very early Merry Christmas. :)

robt65

Nov 24, 2012, 5:03 PM

Post #10 of 43 (6639 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Yacatecuhtli] Count your change at Walmart

I agree with both you and "simpsca".

Most times I believe it is because these stores (and for sure Wal Mart, Sam’s Club, Cosco and many larger stores here, are especially sloppy about giving correct change) and not only here, but NOB as well. For the most part, I think it is because they hire folks that just do not have any idea of plain arithmetic. However, there are absolutely some times, I believe these cashiers are absolutely giving themselves an "on the spot raise"! (smiling)

What really gets me even angrier, is having to wait in line, while the cashier has to call for someone to bring change for a 100 or 200 Peso note! This is a very poor business model, but since most cashiers in Mexican Stores and shops seem to also be petty thieves, it may be more understandable. Maybe if the property owners paid a decent wage to the cashiers, they wouldn’t be (as they see it) forced to steal from the company!

Regards
Robert

johanson

Nov 24, 2012, 5:38 PM

Post #11 of 43 (6631 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Count your change at Walmart

Of the stores mentioned above, I have had the best experiences at Costco. But that's just me. I love Costco and go there, be I up north or here in Mexico, at least once per month; sometimes twice per month.

sioux4noff

Nov 24, 2012, 10:14 PM

Post #12 of 43 (6604 views)

Shortcut

From what I've been told by people who work there, Mega, Walmart, Sams and Costco all pay what these employees considered a decent wage, they have benefits and do get paid correctly and on time. Which is more than can be said about some smaller places.
That being said, I do try to remember to count my change everywhere.
Several times recently, I've purchased a Coke Zero at Oxxo, 8.5 pesos. The clerk has said, 8 cinquenta, and then gives me one peso change. I've had to ask for my additional 50 centavos. If they ask, I do agree to round it up for charity, but they often do not ask. One time the employee gave me a pretty blank look, and I explained to them, the Coke costs 8.5 pesos, I gave you 10. My correct change is 1.5 pesos. They gave me a look like, whatever, and did give me my change.
I'm not sure if the clerks figure they can short change a tourist and get by with it. Or if they are building in a buffer against coming up short at the end of their shifts, or what.

bronco

Nov 24, 2012, 10:25 PM

Post #13 of 43 (6604 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Count your change at Walmart

groceria (groseria) is the word they have always used for the grocery store. ask them, not me what it means. never got me in trouble, so i assumed its right. incorrect change in a store only happened that one time. as for street spanish, whats the difference how i sound? im ON the streets. who do i need to impress? people who give wrong change??

Musicman

Nov 25, 2012, 6:06 AM

Post #14 of 43 (6587 views)

Shortcut

Robt65......"Most cashiers in Mexican stores and shops are petty thieves". I resent that comment. Some may be but to say most are is ignorant.
Count your change in Mexico, the US, Canada....everywhere. But most people are not petty thieves. Do you feel the same about your gardner and maid? Or maybe Mexicans in general? Why do you stay?

eyePad

Nov 25, 2012, 7:28 AM

Post #15 of 43 (6577 views)

Shortcut

hi bronco, 'groceria' or 'grocería' for 'tiendita' is definitely not a Spanish word. It sounds like an anglicism to me, maybe influence from up north. Mexicans often don't
really care about their language*, but they should, it's a beautiful language.

* Not only Spanish, but the other 50 odd languages making Mexico one of the most linguistically rich areas on earth (and they REALLY don't get any respect 'nadie se preocupe por nosotos')

(This post was edited by eyePad on Nov 25, 2012, 7:41 AM)

cbviajero

Nov 25, 2012, 7:46 AM

Post #16 of 43 (6564 views)

Shortcut

Robert,I have two nieces who work part time as cashiers in a store in Guadalajara and they're not thieves.

(This post was edited by cbviajero on Nov 25, 2012, 7:47 AM)

robt65

Nov 25, 2012, 8:11 AM

Post #17 of 43 (6555 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Musicman] Count your change at Walmart

musicman,

I think I have stated my response quite well. I do not have a maid or a Gardner, thank you, we do those things ourselves. I used to have a Gardner, yes and I caught him red handed with a few of my tools in his truck. I fired him on the spot, and told him he should never be around my home again.

A close friend had a maid for well over five years, and treated her very well indeed. One day he found out that she had stolen a lot of money and precious metals from him . . . . also caught red handed! Even went to prison for it. My neighbors’ home was broken into and personal items stolen, another neighbors home was robbed of building materials, that the hard working Mexican owner was building for his family, I read daily about robbers and troublemakers in the local papers, as do many people here, who are not sleeping.

Another time I caught the men I had given construction work to (and paid them well above the “going wage”), with "excess product", they estimated and stole from me in their truck and were about to leave for the day.

By the way we (my family and I) always but always provided lunch for them and on Fridays provided a special evening meal. We gave them presents at Christmas for their children.

I also believe I made myself very clear, I was speaking to the occupation of cashiers, unless you missed it, but since you were the one to bring it up, the above first hand stories, should maybe open your naive eyes a little.

Most people here (Mexicans) as I believe I also stated clearly, I believe are well underpaid by their own, and I think I also said . . . . . . . if they were paid a decent living wage, maybe the thievery would cease. So please do not take liberties with putting words in my mouth and I will exercise the same respect to you.

By the way, I dislike Mexicans so much , I married one, I have adopted a Mexican daughter, I have a beautiful “MexiGringa” daughter and I take care of not only my wife and children but also a mother-in-law and father-in-law, both with terminal medical conditions, I have provided medical equipment from NOB to several families with disabled children, (by the way, their parents don’t steal) I have provided prosthetic equipment and services for several hardworking men, women and children, at no cost to them, All 100% Mexican Nationals and very nice, hard working and ethical people. So please Mr. Musicman, do not preach to me, when you know absolutely nothing about me. Maybe you should check your own house first.

Regards,
Robt65

robt65

Nov 25, 2012, 8:15 AM

Post #18 of 43 (6552 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Count your change at Walmart

Gee, chviajera,

I have read and re read my posting and I don’t believe anywhere in my posting I mentioned your two nieces working as cashiers in Guadalajara. Maybe you should re-read?

Regards,
Robt65

Musicman

Nov 25, 2012, 8:25 AM

Post #19 of 43 (6546 views)

Shortcut

Robt65.....So, if one of your Mexican family members ever work as a cashier, heaven forbid, and everyone assumes he/she is a thief you won't be offended?
Do you read what you write? As for "checking my house first", I don't need to. I live in an igloo.

robt65

Nov 25, 2012, 8:39 AM

Post #20 of 43 (6542 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Musicman] Count your change at Walmart

not worth responding to.

Regards,
Robt65

cbviajero

Nov 25, 2012, 9:12 AM

Post #21 of 43 (6534 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Gee, chviajera,

I have read and re read my posting and I don’t believe anywhere in my posting I mentioned your two nieces working as cashiers in Guadalajara. Maybe you should re-read?

Regards,
Robt65

No,you need to reread your own post, where you stated that most Mexican cashiers are petty thieves,what an ignorant and offensive statement.

(This post was edited by cbviajero on Nov 25, 2012, 9:41 AM)

Rolly

Nov 25, 2012, 10:21 AM

Post #22 of 43 (6519 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Count your change at Walmart

Robert, I'm afraid you really stepped in it this time.
I also find that remark offensive.

Rolly Pirate

bronco

Nov 25, 2012, 10:41 AM

Post #23 of 43 (6513 views)

Shortcut

robert, there is no reason for you to qualify your comments. we were talking about cashiers (not maids, garderners breakins). some workers steal, some dont. as for a crime discussion, that should be another topic. i had some taxi driver experiences, from minor to dangerous. but since we were talking about cashiers, i refrained from reporting my experiences.

cbviajero

Nov 25, 2012, 10:55 AM

Post #24 of 43 (6505 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
groceria (groseria) is the word they have always used for the grocery store. ask them, not me what it means.

You're kidding right?

robt65

Nov 25, 2012, 11:35 AM

Post #25 of 43 (6488 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Count your change at Walmart

Rolly,

I have re-read my post a second time and I do see where in the second paragraph, I used the word "most", when I should have used the word "many" which was my intent in the first place. For this sentence only, I apologize.

Regards,
Robt65

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4