First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

YucaLandia

Dec 7, 2012, 6:59 AM

Post #101 of 123 (15129 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Axixic] Q and A about the new INM rules

Can't Post | Private Reply

In Reply To
Anytime, that means from day one, if someone wants a permanente and he has never filed for an FM2/3, if he has the financials he can get a permanente.

If a person is applying at a consulate in his home country and he produces the correct financials, he can get a permanente.

What they are supposed to be doing in Mexico is allow people who have had an FM2/3 for 4 years to go to a permanente without the financials.

The realities from The 2011 Law, the Reglamento, and 2 sets of Lineamientos, plus recent first-hand reliable expat reports are:

~ Each INM office and each INM agent has the discretionary power/right to either require financial documents or to waive the need for financial documents proving fiscal solvency or fiscal independence.

~ The application of the financial documentation policies are clearly varying between INM offices. Our Merida INM office is only requiring them in cases where they suspect a problem for applicants doing renovaciónes, while other INM offices are going all the way to one side (NO financials needed for all FM2/FM3 renovaciónes applicants) or all the way to the other side (financial full records required for most/all renovaciónes applicants).

~
Credit for prior FM2 and FM3 years is also up to the local INM office's prerogative.

~ Approving or Denying bundled/aggregate prior FM2 + FM3 years is currently also up to the local INM office's prerogative.

~ Approving or Denying Residente Permanente applications with no/zero prior FM2 + FM3 years (or 1 prior year or 2 prior years) is currently also up to the local INM office's prerogatives.

Really, prospective applicants really must get current information from their own local INM office to actually know the current policies, especially as some offices are shifting their policies on all 4 of these issues.

Hopefully, the local offices will eventually be fully instructed on how to properly and consistently apply the new regulations in a month or 2, creating harmonious approaches across all offices, ~ as happened with the May 2010 rule changes ~ and then we can confidently advise people on how the systems actually work.
steve

See: http://yucalandia.com/...d-staying-in-mexico/ for the latest in first-hand reports from across Mexico on these issues.

We have also finally joined the 21'st century, by adding a summary block of key issues and key topics at the top or our bigger articles, with buttons for each Titled Section, that take the reader down to the specific item they where they need detailed information. This means that Yucalandia readers no longer have to page down through the expansive blocks of text needed to report the necessary details on each immigration, visiting Mexico, car import permit issues and topics.

Enjoy,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Dec 7, 2012, 7:23 AM)

YucaLandia

Dec 7, 2012, 7:34 AM

Post #102 of 123 (15114 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Axixic] Q and A about the new INM rules

In Reply To
Anytime, that means from day one, if someone wants a permanente and he has never filed for an FM2/3, if he has the financials he can get a permanente.

If a person is applying at a consulate in his home country and he produces the correct financials, he can get a permanente.

What they are supposed to be doing in Mexico is allow people who have had an FM2/3 for 4 years to go to a permanente without the financials.

In Reply To
Temporary Visa does not allow one to work! Permanent Visa allows one to work! End of 4 years means you must move to Permanent Resident. That does not mean a 4 on the back of a current visa. it means a "3" indicating number of renewals.

You need a Permanent Resident visa to earn income in Mexico that includes landlords, artists, musicians, people who work via the Internet from within Mexico. Anything that earns you income from within Mexico, get a Permanent Resident visa. And, you must be registered with Hacienda and pay tax. And, if a tenant and landlord out of country by law you must withhold approx 25% tax from your rent and pay it to Hacienda.

Try getting a green card in the US... been there, done that. Thousands of dollars and months are required. For a Mexican they can not even travel to the US or Canada or change planes with spending $180, for the US traveling to DF and waiting in line from 4 to 5 am.

Why all these expats with a sense of entitlement is beyond me? We get to keep our cars, live here by proving not a lot of income, get free healthcare, etc. Try doing that up north.

I propose that the posters on Mexconnect stop reporting false things that have no documentation and no references.

Alternately, could the Moderators please flag - or color - or highlight suspect and poorly documented advice?
~ to keep newbie readers from getting horribly confused...

We have been getting and hearing at 5-10 comments a day of false rumors started like these presented above.

e.g. Consider: Rather than passing out rumors as fact, instead:
Check out the Lineamientos:
Artículo 60. Las condiciones de estancia que cuentan con permiso de trabajo son las siguientes:
I. Residente temporal cuando se adquiera por oferta de empleo;
II. Residente permanente;
III. Visitante con permiso para realizar actividades remuneradas;
IV. Visitante trabajador fronterizo, y
V. Visitante por razones humanitarias

Article 60 roughly translates as:
Article 60. Conditions/Applicants allowed to have a work permit are:
I. Temporary resident with valid documentation of a job offer from a Mexican employer;
II. Permanent residents are approved to work.
III. Visitante permit holders with permission to engage in paid work activities;
IV. Formally approved guest workers in the Border region, and
V. Visitante permit holders in Mexico on humanitarian grounds

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Concerning the imaginings about the Requisitos for Permanente Residente:
The May 2011 Ley de Migración, the Reglamento, and both of the associated Lineamientos clearly give both individual INM agents and INM offices the rights to either waive the reporting of Financial Documents proving Fiscal Solvency or to fully require
the reporting of Financial Documents proving Fiscal Solvency .

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The quality of information on Mexconnect really has recently become pretty poor - with a lot of hyperbole, misinformation, and incomplete information presented as the whole truth and fully factual.

If I were a newbie to visiting Mexico or an uncertain expat, I would find much of the last 3 weeks of immigration info on Mexconnect to be pretty spotty vs. the normal spot-on advice given by Mexconnect old-timers...

Can we please start using citations and references, when possible?

When there are differences between how the individual INM offices and individual INM agents and between Mexican Consulates' procedures and requirements: Can we please state clearly which office, what day/date, what was applied-for, and what qualifications were met by the applicant?

The last item is important, because a number of Consulates and INM offices are clearly granting both Residente Temporal and Residente Permanente Tarjetas de Residencia to individual foreigners who do not meet any single one Requisito... These offices are approving applications where the foreigner meets a combination of just 1/2 of each of several requirements. e.g. They own property worth $50,000 USD in Mexico. They receive just $1,200 a month in SSI deposits. They have $20,000 USD in a bank account.... they have 2 years of FM3 and 1 year of FM2, and poof... Their applications are rapidly and easily approved. We have good quality first-hand reports of this from Progres, Merida and Cancun INM offices...

there are good websites out there with accurate up-to-date information on the new rules:
Check out http://yucalandia.com/...%20of%20INM%20permit for easy to find summaries, chock full o' important details on the latest updates on INM and SRE/Consulate requirements from across Canada, the USA, and Mexico.

steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Dec 7, 2012, 7:35 AM)

mexrvers

Dec 9, 2012, 4:29 PM

Post #103 of 123 (14935 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Q and A about the new INM rules

OK - sorry but I am so confused!

I just renewed my FM3, with a 4 renewal the day before the new rules, it is now good until Dec 7th 2013.
1. do I need to change to the new system right away since I have already been here 4 years?
2. what about my Canadian registered car?
3. If my card is only good for 60 days WHY did they not tell me that when I recieved it?
I have sent all the info to Aduana as last year.............will be leaving for 6 weeks next spring and need to know what to do!
we are in Vallarta
thanks

sparks

Dec 9, 2012, 5:14 PM

Post #104 of 123 (14916 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexrvers] Q and A about the new INM rules

Your visa is good till it expires ... but I've heard you can apply for permanente before that. Since the car question is still not answered I would wait until others report

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

YucaLandia

Dec 9, 2012, 5:21 PM

Post #105 of 123 (14914 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexrvers] Q and A about the new INM rules

In Reply To
OK - sorry but I am so confused!

I just renewed my FM3, with a 4 renewal the day before the new rules, it is now good until Dec 7th 2013.
1. do I need to change to the new system right away since I have already been here 4 years?
2. what about my Canadian registered car?
3. If my card is only good for 60 days WHY did they not tell me that when I recieved it?
I have sent all the info to Aduana as last year.............will be leaving for 6 weeks next spring and need to know what to do!
we are in Vallarta
thanks

Since there are only about 400+ pages of government-speak legalese, contained in 4 different documents, with no specified orders of precedence, and since there has been a shot-gun blast of varying and conflicting advice on expat forums discussing the new rules, it is no wonder that we all are not totally confused.

You bring up some really good items to clear up. Let's tackle them in order of easy replies:
2. Your Canadian car Temporary Import Permit (TIP) is valid as long as you keep your INM FM3 permit current, and notify Aduana/Banjercito every time your expiration date on your INM (FM3) is changed/updated.

Did you notify Aduana/Banjercito of your new Dec. 7, 2013 INM No Inmigrante (FM3) card's expiration date?
There is still time to go visit them and notify them in writing, so they can update your TIP expiration date in their databases.

3. Your new card is good for a year (until Dec. 7, 2013) - so there is NO 60 day issue.

1. You need to wait to apply for either of the new INM categories of Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente. You likely do not want to abandon the previous 3 years of "credit" you have towards getting a Residente Permanente next Nov/Dec 2013.

Since the regional INM offices are currently handling this issue of crediting or handling the 4'th renewal year, I would wait 2 - 6 months, until things settle down at INM offices, and then go in and ask them at your local INM office how they recommend you handle things. You will likely know by then what category of Tarjeta de Residencia you want in the future (Permanente or Temporal). Your INM office should also have some stable policies and clear interpretations of the rules in place by then.

and ... as an added bonus for waiting 2 - 6 months, Aduana should also have official versions of their new policies well established: with clear rules on which types of INM permits will be allowed to keep their TIP cars, and which ones will have to take their vehicles out of Mexico.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Dec 9, 2012, 5:31 PM)

TatianaS

Mar 26, 2013, 7:19 PM

Post #106 of 123 (13318 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Q and A about the new INM rules

Hi all. Hoping Im on the right spot on this forum for these questions.

Had a question about the "family"" income reqs. Do they apply to the residente temporal? Am i reading right that basically my husband would go and apply for the family plan and apply for temporal himself & then the kids and I should go on a tourist? or how does that work? We were originally thinking of just doing the 180 day tourist but we know we want to be there no less than 2 years & probably permanetly. As a family of 6 the income reqs would be pretty high i think, if the family plan doesnt apply. My husband will need to fly in & out (U.S.) for work. (Nuclear field) a few times a year for 4-6 weeks at a time. Is this a problem for either situation?

Also does anyone have info on the paperwork we need to take in for our first consulate appointment?
Any advice much appreciated
Thanks in advance!
Buenos Noches :-)

Rolly

Mar 26, 2013, 7:25 PM

Post #107 of 123 (13317 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TatianaS] Q and A about the new INM rules

You'll find the answers to your questions and lots more here.

Rolly Pirate

Gringal

Mar 27, 2013, 3:20 PM

Post #108 of 123 (13222 views)

Shortcut

I was good and read all those pages, but still have one question:
A friend wants to live in Mexico but no way can meet the financials, so:
Can a person get the 180 day visa and get another right after if expires, thus allowing her to return to the border every six months but in effect, live here permanently, or can you only get one six month visa in a year?

I noticed that a man planning to move to Baja recently posting seems to believe that he can live in Mexico permanently by getting a new visa every six months at the border.

Thanks for all your efforts in bringing us helpful information, Rolly.

YucaLandia

Mar 27, 2013, 5:05 PM

Post #109 of 123 (13196 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Q and A about the new INM rules

Correct, they can get multiple Visitante permits per year.

...especially if they use the US-Mexico border INM offices. In the past year, INM offices at Belize and Guatemala border crossing points have issued Visitante permits to some foreigners for less than 180 days.
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Mar 27, 2013, 5:26 PM)

Rolly

Mar 27, 2013, 5:20 PM

Post #110 of 123 (13190 views)

Shortcut

On;i one FMT, FMM, etc per year has NEVER been the law and probably never will be.

Rolly Pirate

RickS

Mar 27, 2013, 6:19 PM

Post #111 of 123 (13174 views)

Shortcut

I distinctly remember more than one account 'over the years here on Mexconnect' of people who lived in Mexico on an FMT, even owning a house, and doing the border dance every 6 months.....

TatianaS

Mar 30, 2013, 8:33 AM

Post #112 of 123 (13022 views)

Shortcut

Rolly,

Thank you & great website you have. Enjoyed the Mexican Kitchen pages so much!

One question, maybe you covered on your site & i didnt catch it. When my husband applies for residente temporal will we still be able to bring our car on a permit that lasts longer than the one you recieve if you were going down on a tourist visa, without nationalizing?

Also with all the experienced xpats on here, was wondering if they could give me some insight or personal opinions on great places for families to settle or consider?

Thanks

oh, Rolly, not sure if you get on there much but looked you up on facebook!

Rolly

Mar 30, 2013, 8:48 AM

Post #113 of 123 (13011 views)

Shortcut

Your vehicle permit is valid as long as your Residente Temporal is valid. Learn more here.
I check my Facebook daily.

Rolly Pirate

TedZar

Apr 1, 2013, 11:20 PM

Post #114 of 123 (12801 views)

Shortcut

Just a clarification if I may. I just want to be sure I read everything correctly . . .

Steve's site states:

***”Residente Permanente“: Several types: Covers the old “Inmigrado” and a few special “No Inmigrantes” (the old FM3s for asylum seekers & refugees ), and it appears to cover working “Inmigrantes”**. It allows indefinite stays, no need to renew, and includes the right to work, with no approvals or work permits needed.

Underline and italics of above are mine.

Rolly's site says:

Residente Permanente does not expire thus never needs to be renewed.

My questions:
1. I have a residente permanente visa - so does all this mean that it never needs to be renewed or re-qualified?
2. I thought I read somewhere it was good for four years - or is that just when you become eligible to apply for citizenship?

Having lived abroad for the last 20+ years and struggling annually with visas, I find those rules wonderfully liberal! Just want to be sure I understand! Amazed at my good fortune if I understand correctly.

Thank you for your patience with my questions.

TZ

(This post was edited by TedZar on Apr 1, 2013, 11:24 PM)

YucaLandia

Apr 2, 2013, 10:54 AM

Post #115 of 123 (12749 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TedZar] Q and A about the new INM rules

Hi Ted,
The information on this point on both Yucalandia.com and Rollybrook.com fits both the law and practice.

Adults need to register/file changes in address with INM... Children's Residente Permanente permits do have slightly different rules (but I think you did not mention children)**.
steve

Vigencia de la autorización:
Indefinida.
1 año en caso de menores de 3 años de edad.
4 años en caso de mayores de 3 años y menores de 18 años de edad.
Nov. 8, 2012 Lineamientos de INM
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Apr 2, 2013, 11:19 AM)

kmetzger

Apr 2, 2013, 11:05 AM

Post #116 of 123 (12746 views)

Shortcut

Hi Steve - your article mentions allowing "Residente Temporal card holders to renew their TIPs". Is your TIP automatically renewed when your residente temporal is extended or do you have to contact aduana?

YucaLandia

Apr 2, 2013, 1:13 PM

Post #117 of 123 (12725 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kmetzger] Q and A about the new INM rules

Hi Ken,
Opinions are mixed on this. The Aduana DF office has written letters to foreign-plated car owners imported before June 10, 2010, and told them they do not have to notify Aduana of the annual renewals of their temporary status INM permits. People who used a TIP to import their car after June 10, 201, are required to annually notify Aduana of INM permit renewals.

Ironically, if you want to permanently import your vehicle, Aduana plays a "gotcha" game, saying applicants must prove that their Aduana TIP was kept valid since the initial importation. The only proof our Progreso Aduana office is allowing is... that annual renewal letter, acknowledging that you notified Aduana of your new INM permit date, especially after June 2010.

So, if you think you might want to ever permanently import your foreign-plated vehicle, then you are best off giving Aduana annual official written notice of your new INM permit expiration dates.

Is your TIP automatically renewed when your residente temporal is extended or do you have to contact aduana?
Hence, because Aduana offices do not recognize a TIP as being maintained as continuously valid without the annual renewal letter(s), then it is clear that in their view the TIP is not automatically renewed for all purposes - regardless of whether you imported it before or after June 10, 2010.

This is one of those issues where the practical real-world applications of the law and rules, do not necessarily follow the letter of the Aduana law.

Clear as mud?
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Apr 2, 2013, 2:48 PM)

kmetzger

Apr 2, 2013, 2:24 PM

Post #118 of 123 (12705 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the info, Steve. I imported my current US-plated car 5 and a half years ago and this is the first time I heard of annual reports to Aduana. I had always assumed that your TIP is good as long as your residence permit is valid. But I'm not going to worry about it. No cops have ever bothered me here in Mexico and I don't plan to drive the car to the US.

Kim

hooperdooper

Jul 6, 2013, 9:19 PM

Post #119 of 123 (11532 views)

Shortcut

I gather that the Mazatlan INM folks have decided not to accept previous years on FM3. However - I assume that you can still qualify based on financial resources. Is that still true? As I recall if you could prove you had somewhere in the area of 150K in investments or in the bank and had an FM2 or whatever for at least a year you could still get permanente. Is this still the case? I ask because I have only 2 years on the FM2 with a previous 3 years on the FM3 which I gather no longer count in this area.

Thanks for your reply and all your helpful information on this site and your own.

cotuncloud

Sep 30, 2013, 3:40 PM

Post #120 of 123 (10459 views)

Shortcut

I feel like I was Mexican in another lifetime, and I speak/write Spanish fluently. I finally decided I want to pick up and move to Mexico and find a job down there (Mexico City). However, the more I read, the more confused I get.

Do I HAVE to have a job offer before I go down there? I have a place I will be staying until I find a job and get on my feet.

Is it possible to get a different type of Visa just to get down to Mexico until I find a job, and then from there, apply for a visa that will allow me to work?

CanGuy78

Sep 30, 2013, 4:22 PM

Post #121 of 123 (10452 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cotuncloud] Q and A about the new INM rules

In Reply To
I feel like I was Mexican in another lifetime, and I speak/write Spanish fluently. I finally decided I want to pick up and move to Mexico and find a job down there (Mexico City). However, the more I read, the more confused I get.

Do I HAVE to have a job offer before I go down there? I have a place I will be staying until I find a job and get on my feet.

Is it possible to get a different type of Visa just to get down to Mexico until I find a job, and then from there, apply for a visa that will allow me to work?

Just come here and find work. When you go to the consulate in your home country tell them whatever reason you think is good.

When you get to INM in DF tell them you are here to teach English.

You don't need anything except $36 USD before you get here and a couple hours of your time.

Once you get here you need about $300 USD and about 3 months of your time. Well in actuality only about 8 hours at INM and you are good to go, but lots of waiting for this and that and filling out forms and oh my god funnnnnnn.

cotuncloud

Sep 30, 2013, 4:29 PM

Post #122 of 123 (10442 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CanGuy78] Q and A about the new INM rules

Thanks for the advice! Different websites are telling me different things, but this seems to be the overall consensus for what is required to qualify for temporary resident status:

-Applicants with ties to Mexican Citizens or foreigners (Non Mexican) residing in
Mexico with temporary or permanent residency status
-Applicants with job offer; stating the occupation, physical address, temporarily and proof of future employer ID registration number within Mexico Immigration
-Applicants whom own Mexico, real estate
-Applicants whom can proof a monthly income of about $2,100.00, U.S.

As of now, none of this really applies to me. I mean, the last one sort of does. I can prove the income I'm making NOW... the problem is, I'll be quitting my job before I leave to Mexico.

Do you think the best thing would be for me to SAY that the income will be continuous while I'm in Mexico, then get the Temporary Resident Visa, and when I get to the INM, give them the reason you did-- to find a job teaching English?

CanGuy78

Sep 30, 2013, 4:31 PM

Post #123 of 123 (10439 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cotuncloud] Q and A about the new INM rules

It shouldn't really matter as long as you can show income for the 6-12 months prior to coming to Mexico.

They actually asked me if I would still have the income while in Mexico, I said no. Still got my visa.

If you think it's necessary, tell them yes. Really getting a Mexican Visa is like throwing a ball and making sure it hits the ground.

I was all nerves like you too about it and worried about every detail, but there's an expression I've learned since I've been here, "hey, what do you want, it's Mexico?"
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4