Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next page Last page  View All

addtocart

Dec 15, 2013, 7:22 AM

Post #426 of 443 (22566 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geoffbob] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

|

In Reply To
Ironically things on the Immigration front, although presented last year as a tightening up, seem to be loosening up. On my first visit to the Office of Circumlocution I showed up twenty minutes before the opening bell and took my place in a queue of possibly three hundred early birds. When I left the building I noted that there wasn't anybody in line and the sidewalk was almost empty. I did the metrics on that one and so on my second foray slept late and showed up at around 10:30, waltzed right in and out in a jiff. With visions of an interminable wait in the most uncomfortable chair in the world I had made sure to bring a Kindle. The entire process took about 30 minutes. I do have to report back for fingerprinting and let's just hope that they don't match up with any hideous criminal acts. And just for the record I was out of town on the day of the Brinks heist.

Our INM office locally is open for new entrants from 8AM to 1PM. At 7:30 there is a line outside. I go at 12:30. The employees are motivated to finish up so they can leave, so things so very smooth and quick.

Aaron+

Dec 15, 2013, 8:31 AM

Post #427 of 443 (22545 views)

Shortcut

Re: [addtocart] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Geoffbob notes that, "Our INM office locally is open for new entrants from 8AM to 1PM. At 7:30 there is a line outside. I go at 12:30. The employees are motivated to finish up so they can leave, so things so very smooth and quick."

At least at the Mérida office, there is, or used to be, a fixed number of entrance cards issued each day. Arrive after the fixed supply ran out, come back next day or whenever (unless one had an assigned appointment resulting from a prior visit).

If all offices now work on a "come before closing time, you will be served" basis, that is really a step forward!

Rolly

Dec 15, 2013, 9:13 AM

Post #428 of 443 (22534 views)

Shortcut

Re: [addtocart] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
I guess I live in a privileged world because in 12 years of visiting my INM office, I can recall having to wait for one person ahead of me only three times.

Rolly Pirate

La Isla

Dec 15, 2013, 9:33 AM

Post #429 of 443 (22525 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Geoffbob notes that, "Our INM office locally is open for new entrants from 8AM to 1PM. At 7:30 there is a line outside. I go at 12:30. The employees are motivated to finish up so they can leave, so things so very smooth and quick."

At least at the Mérida office, there is, or used to be, a fixed number of entrance cards issued each day. Arrive after the fixed supply ran out, come back next day or whenever (unless one had an assigned appointment resulting from a prior visit).

If all offices now work on a "come before closing time, you will be served" basis, that is really a step forward!

I've been living in Mexico City since 2007, and they've never given out entrance cards at the INM office here. You just get there before closing time (1:00 pm) and you will be taken care of. I've never heard of anyone here having an assigned appointment. The lines are usually long, but they move pretty quickly, so all you need is patience and some knowledge of Spanish to have your trámites dealt with.

roni_smith

Dec 16, 2013, 7:43 PM

Post #430 of 443 (22452 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
I went to the Mexican consulate in Portland today to apply for a residente permanente visa. I was the second person in line, and after a 15 minute wait I was in.

My retirement income is enough to qualify for permanente, and if I had been receiving it for 6 months or more I would have walked out with the thing affixed to my passport saying I was eligible. Alas, I have not been receiving retirement benefits for that long. I could have received a residente temporal today, I was told. The other option I discussed with the visa person was going down to Mexico on a 180 day visitante permit (what one usually gets when heading down on vacation via the form filled out on the airplane), returning after I had 6 months of retirement income deposits documented and then get a permanente.

One cannot, I was told upon asking, combine months during which one was working with months during which one was receiving pensions/social security. The Mexican government wants to make sure, I was told, that a continuing retirement income stream would be present to support the visa applicant. Award letters from pension boards and social security were also not sufficient - actual deposits into bank accounts were the only documentation that was acceptable.

One can also qualify based on how much money one has in investments - documented via 12 months of investment/savings account statements. Our retirement assets are heavily tilted toward pensions and social security. We do not have 12 months of investment account balances that meet the minimum required. Balances that have been recently boosted by the sale of real estate would not work - 12 months of statements with a combined balance above the minimum was it.

We are leaning toward coming down on a visitante in late Jan / early Feb and, when we return to visit my mother in July, applying for a permanente. At that point in time I will have the six months of documented pension / social security deposits that exceed the minimum required.

The young woman I dealt with was very personable and professional. She sympathized with our return from a month long trip to Mexico during the winter.
------
Planning for Mexico Move Blog

(This post was edited by roni_smith on Dec 16, 2013, 8:19 PM)

Aaron+

Dec 17, 2013, 8:24 AM

Post #431 of 443 (22428 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roni_smith] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
My sympathies, Roni. Once again, the triumph of Mexican bureaucracy. Happy to see your mental equilibirum that you take it all in stride with apparent good humor! And hopefully, the next time around the GOM will not have by then changed once again its definition of what qualifies.

roni_smith

Dec 17, 2013, 8:52 AM

Post #432 of 443 (22424 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Thanks Aaron, but I did not really feel in the need of sympathy. The requirements for a permanente are clearly spelled out on the consulates web site. I was admittedly hopeful that the award letters would suffice, but they did not.

There were rules and, at the time I applied, I did not comply with them. We have a choice and we are leaning toward the one I noted in my post. We'll see how that goes.
------

mcm

Dec 17, 2013, 9:27 AM

Post #433 of 443 (22416 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
The only ''downside'' I see to the plan of entering on a six-month visitante permit would be IF you wanted to buy a Mexican vehicle (or get a Mexican driver's license) when you are here. In Yucatán a vehicle can only be registered in your name if you have a resident permit (temporal o permanente), and likewise for getting a Mexican driver's license. You may or may not be able to open a Mexican bank account, depending on the bank.
If none of those things matter to you, and if you're planning to visit the US in the summer anyway, the plan makes sense, though all you'd really avoid is a couple of renewal trips to INM in Mérida in subsequent years, and the annual renewal fees (if you went for the residente temporal).

geoffbob

Dec 17, 2013, 2:45 PM

Post #434 of 443 (22401 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mcm] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
About those fingerprints. This morning I checked on line to see if I was cleared for an ink up at D.F. H.Q. and I was so I hopped in a taxi and went straight on up there. The process took a lot longer than the other times but still, I think I was out of there in an hour and a half and the only reason it wasn't quicker is because I'd added to my application in the comments section that I'd like to have them include the CURP. They hadn't noticed that part but were happy to comply except it took another hour. I thought this would be the end of it and I'd walk out all credentialed up but noooo. I have to go back and pick up the final authorization from 4 to 6 p.m., maybe tomorrow if the web site green lights me. All in all not bad except for the 50 bucks in cab fare owing to multiple schlepps. Nice people. They didn't seem like jaded bureaucrats to me. The good guys win round one eh?

(This post was edited by geoffbob on Dec 17, 2013, 2:48 PM)

roni_smith

Dec 18, 2013, 5:26 AM

Post #435 of 443 (22362 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geoffbob] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
A couple of questions:

1) Has anyone brought a family in through a vinculo familiar (family plan) who was on resident temporal status?

2) Should I discuss this plan with the consulate immigration person when I go in today to get my temporal status. I have decided to go that route since I do not yet qualify for residente permanente.
------

AlanMexicali

Dec 18, 2013, 5:56 AM

Post #436 of 443 (22353 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
A couple of questions:

1) Has anyone brought a family in through a vinculo familiar (family plan) who was on resident temporal status?

2) Should I discuss this plan with the consulate immigration person when I go in today to get my temporal status. I have decided to go that route since I do not yet qualify for residente permanente.

"Article 51-

.Record of the proceedings for the regularization of status in mode regularization
by family ties.[VINCULO FAMILIAR] "

"Case presented,

Applicable for foreigner in an irregular situation has ties with Mexican or foreign person resident in the country."

Article 51 of the SEGOB INM rules state a Residente Temporal or a Residente Permanente qualify as they are a legal resident which is needed to sponsor a spouse or partner as a family member.

http://www.inm.gob.mx/static/marco_juridico/pdf/acuerdos/2012/Lineamientos_tramites_procedimientos_migratorios.pdf

Google translation;

"Requirements:

1. Original and copy of passport , identity card and travel or official document issued by authority of the country of origin , containing at least the name of the foreign person ,
nationality, date of birth and photograph;

2. Proof of payment of fees for the receipt and consideration of the application for adjustment of
immigration status , according to the quota provided for in the Federal Law ;

3 . Immigration document if the foreign person had a condition of stay;

4 . Proof of payment of the fine that would have given the authority as provided in the Article 145 of the Act, unless they are in any of the cases that provision
expressly designated as exempt ;

5. If the spouse or partner of Mexican temporary or permanent resident ,

you must have:

a) Written and signed by the applicant 's spouse or domestic partner at that point home marriage ;

b ) Copy of the official identification of the Mexican or current resident card foreign person ;

c ) Marriage certificate , or

d ) Document proving cohabitation according to civil law or document figure equivalent to proving cohabitation granted by competent authority of the country of origin
or residence of the foreigner .

6. Should be son, father, or mother of Mexican or foreign resident person or certifying have legal representation or custody of Mexican or resident alien ,

you must have:

a) Birth certificate if you are a parent of a Mexican or foreign person resident;

b ) Birth certificate if the son of a Mexican or temporary or permanent resident, or

c ) A document issued by competent authority that granted the guardianship or custody a child or adolescent, Mexican or resident alien
7. Original officially out for regularization in the case of a foreign person credited the other conditions in the detention center. " [ la estación migratoria.- Detention Center or Immigration Station?]

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Dec 18, 2013, 7:56 AM)

roni_smith

Dec 19, 2013, 6:20 AM

Post #437 of 443 (22275 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
After giving it more though, I decided to go with resident temporal rather than coming back after 180 days and applying for permanente status.

A bird in the hand and all that
------

freud198

Dec 20, 2013, 1:11 AM

Post #438 of 443 (22219 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hello everyone.....

My wife and I have had a horrible experience at the Atlanta, GA consulate.
We provided bank statements showing well in excess the monthly income requirment. We are self employed and had proof of corporate structure and bank letters verifing deposits. The woman originally looked at us like we were crazy, I guess because we are so young. We are 40. The woman said they need more information. They wanted tax returns. We don't have 2013 tax returns as we don't file until October of 2014. We went back and fourth for a few days until it became a debate as to what the regs say. My point is that we qualify....now that it has gotten heated the lady will no longer consider our self employment income towards the visa requirements.this is ridiculous. She is changing the rules as she goes.

My question is:
Can we go to any other consulates. I hear all the time that some are different than others. One lady I talked to recently, said she quit her job, took her old paystubbs and proof of a modest 401k , was instantly granted temp status.

Does anybody have any suggestions for my wife and I?

We were considering going to another consulate since we have already had problems in Atlanta....do we have to apply only in Atlanta. Can we change our address to another state and apply in that state?

If so, what are the best cities to apply? I am hearing that Denver,Tucson,Houston,Kansas city, and Orlando might be better than most

We were considering going to Mexico on a tourist visa and just renew, however I want resident status so this would put me back 6 months.

Any help would be great

Aaron+

Dec 20, 2013, 9:19 AM

Post #439 of 443 (22177 views)

Shortcut

Re: [freud198] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Sorry for the unsatisfactory outcome of your interview with a consular official in Atlanta.

Lacking the specifics of amounts you demonstrated to the Atlanta Mexican consular official, let's take a look at conditions to satisfy Mexican requirements for a temporary resident visa, which is what you say you were seeking.

Perhaps the consular official in Atlanta was simply applying the appropriate regulations. Did you have evidence of a monthly average bank balance of, say, $106K, over the preceding 12 months? If instead you showed, say, mutual fund investments, some officials are a bit leery as to their interpretation, and are more comfortable with bank statements.

You could not really qualify on the basis of earnings, as you are self-employed. Even if you can prove that your monthly earnings after taxes exceeded $2.1K over the preceding 6 months, the earning were not from “employment” or pension. The self-employed often have trouble establishing their solvency. Whether or not you would find a more flexible attitude in, say, Orlando, I would not know. I believe I have heard that you can make application at any Mexican consulate, not necessarily the one with jurisdiction in the area where you live and without changing your address of record. (If asked, do not refer to your reception in Atlanta unless asked.) If you attempted to prove your solvency via this route, the official could reasonably be skeptical that you would have the funds to support yourself from ago 40 onward in Mexico.

Please note that on the Atlanta consulate's website, they currently correctly note in the Spanish original that one needs to satisfy either the bank account or investments minimum ($97K USD in the Spanish, but the actual amount needs to be calculated) OR the monthly income amount from employment or pensions. The English omits the “or” between the two clauses. Also, technically, for the first proof, they should have “and/or” where they say, in Spanish, only “or”, but that is common in Mexico that the exact interpretation depends upon with whom you dealing.

IV. Visa de residencia temporal

Requisito adicional para esta calidad de estancia:
Presentar los documentos que acrediten alguno de los siguientes supuestos:
1. Solvencia económica:

• Original y copia de comprobante de inversiones o cuentas bancarias con saldo promedio mensual equivalente a veinte mil días de salario mínimo general vigente en el Distrito Federal (aprox. 97,000 usdls.), durante los últimos doce meses; o

• Original y copia de los documentos que demuestren que cuenta con empleo o pensión con ingresos mensuales libres de gravámenes mayores al equivalente de cuatrocientos días de salario mínimo general vigente en el Distrito Federal (aprox. 1,940 usdls.), durante los últimos seis meses.

END QUOTE, and in their supplied English version:

IV Visa for Temporary Residents
Additional requirements for this category of stay:
Submit one of the following assumptions:
1. Economic Solvency:

• Original and photocopy of investments or bank accounts with a monthly average equivalent to twenty thousand days of minimum wage valid in Mexico City (aprox. $106,000 USdls.), during the last twelve months.

• Original and photocopy of proof of employment or pension with monthly income free of tax equivalent of four hundred days of minimum wage in Mexico City (aprox. 2,100.00 USdls.), for the last six months.

END QUOTE

The Consulate in Orlando has general info in English without the specific tests of economic solvency. However, their Spanish version (below) reads as does Atlanta's, except that Atlanta has in parenthesis USD equivalents (which may not reflect the 3.9% or so increase in the daily minimum salary, to $67.29 pesos, in the D.F., I have not calculated and converted to USD). Perhaps Atlanta's English version reflects the higher minimum daily salary.

Visa de Residencia temporal
Requisitos

IV. Presentar los documentos que acrediten alguno de los siguientes supuestos:
a. Solvencia económica:
1. Original y copia de comprobante de inversiones o cuentas bancarias con
saldo promedio mensual equivalente a veinte mil días de salario mínimo
general vigente en el Distrito Federal , durante los últimos doce meses; o
2. Original y copia de los documentos que demuestren que cuenta con
empleo o pensión con ingresos mensuales libres de gravámenes mayores
al equivalente de cuatrocientos días de salario mínimo general vigente en
el Distrito Federal, durante los últimos seis meses

END QUOTE

Among the other means of qualifying economically for temporary (or permanent) residency is by investing at least about $US106K in real estate in Mexico:

5. Property in Mexico:

• Original and photocopy of the deed of real property notarized under the name of the applicant. The property has to have a value that exceeds forty thousand days of minimum wage valid in Mexico City (aprox. $210,000.00 USdls.)

Or

Original and photocopy of the Mexican company’s deed or document issued by the Notary Public in Mexico or certified document by the administrative authority where the state, in which the foreigner participates as an investor in the Mexican national company, also has to affirm that the investment exceeds twenty thousand days of minimum wage valid in Mexico City (aprox. $106,000.00 USdls.), through the buying-selling share’s contract, social parties, the transfer of good’s contracts in favor of the Mexican company, or document issue by the Mexican company. It must also state the amount awarded from the foreigner for his business participation:

• Original and photocopy of the deed of property of the foreigner’s company that exceeds twenty thousand days of minimum wage valid in Mexico City (aprox. $106,000.00 USdls.).

• Original and photocopy of a document/documents that prove the development of the economic and business activities in Mexico through contracts, service orders, receipts, business plans, licenses, or permits and a letter from the Mexican Institute of Social Services (IMSS) that confirms the foreigner as the employer of at least 5 employees.

END QUOTE
Note: the Spanish original for the investor qualification does not contain “or” between the clauses.

Finally, and this advice is something I need always to recall, no matter how frustrating one's dealing with a bureaucrat, it is important to keep one's cool and be polite lest one burn one's bridges behind one. (I am not saying that you lost your cool, but the circumstances suggest that was a possibility as matters got "heated.")

viktoremski

Dec 20, 2013, 10:15 AM

Post #440 of 443 (22155 views)

Shortcut

Re: [freud198] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Back in 2005, after a negative at San Francisco consulate, I flied to San Diego, and had my then FM3 issued the same day. Of course, requirements were different in 2005, and I don't know how they treat applicants these days... Also, if I remember right, my San Francisco address was not an issue at SD consulate.
Good luck!

DavidMcL

Dec 20, 2013, 12:42 PM

Post #441 of 443 (22127 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
At 426 postings, it is time to continue with a new thread.

David
David McL
WebJefe

jmacaspen

Feb 11, 2017, 3:49 PM

Post #442 of 443 (11485 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pvgolf] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Am I to understand that they wanted proof of income for you and your spouse ? Would they accept a promissory note secured by real estate ? Is proof of income based on present dollar to peso (@ 20 )

tonyburton / Moderator

Feb 12, 2017, 7:53 AM

Post #443 of 443 (11448 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jmacaspen] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
This is the end of a VERY old thread, so I"m going to lock it to prevent further responses. If you question is not covered by the other post you have made, then please edit that post accordingly or post again as a new thread. Thanks!
First page Previous page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4