Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18 Next page Last page  View All

Rolly

Nov 14, 2012, 5:42 PM

Post #1 of 443 (55289 views)

Shortcut

Part 1 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
We have five or six threads dealing with the new INM rules.
It will be much more useful to consolidate our experiences.
So. please, lets use this thread to report of experience with INM and Consulate offices.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by DavidMcL on Dec 20, 2013, 12:43 PM)

sparks

Nov 14, 2012, 6:47 PM

Post #2 of 443 (55220 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
From SMA Yahoo Group
-----------------------------------

Today my husband and I went to the Mexican Consulate in San Jose California to apply for our temporary visa's.

I want to share what happened to us, this is just our experience we are not experts or even experienced this is our first time for the application and we have not held more than a FMM visa.

We were told that we could obtain the temporary visa by meeting the Monthly income requirements as Silva and other's have indicated.

OR by having $103,000. USD in the bank or investments.

OR by owning a home valued at $188,000/$200,000 (this figure seems to be a little less settled). So three paths to the temporary visa.

No financial reporting required during the four year visa, and it can be renewed again without additional financial paperwork. To move to the permanent visa after the four years requires only one bank statement proving your income source is still viable.

No letter from the bank was required, we provided photo copies of six months worth of statements. We also provided proof of our monthly income from pensions, social security.

Very easy, very pleasant experience. By the way the application forms just arrived the day before so if you have an appointment in the next week call before you go in to make sure they have the forms available.

I asked why the monthly amount had increased so much and was told that it was because there are a number of people who are in Mexico on false income documentation or are working illegally. That the new income requirement was intended to uncover those who are not abiding by the rules. Don't know if this is correct or not seems a little odd but that is not my point. My point is don't be afraid, they did not try to make our lives difficult in fact they were quite nice about everything and all went smoothly.

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

(This post was edited by sparks on Nov 14, 2012, 7:50 PM)

mazbook1

Nov 14, 2012, 8:26 PM

Post #3 of 443 (55192 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
sparks, It sounds as if she and her husband were first time applicants for Residente Temporal status (since there is no such thing as a "temporary visa". It would be interesting to follow this one up, as she and her husband still have to go to the INM office in SMdeA to actually GET their Residente Temporal cards.

Rolly

Nov 14, 2012, 8:44 PM

Post #4 of 443 (55184 views)

Shortcut

Re: Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
A cyber friend reports on his experience renewing his Inmigrante in Guaymas
I went in today and got everything done in one session (imagine!) Nothing new from last year except the title -- from Inmigrante Rentista to Residente Temporal. I paid for 3 years and will be eligible for permanent residence at that time.

Rolly Pirate

pvgolf

Nov 14, 2012, 8:53 PM

Post #5 of 443 (55177 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
I must add my 2 cents worth....and I want to be factual.....the circumstances that my wife and I enjoy may not match yours....the experience I will relate is very specific to our circumstances, however, I found my Mexican officials to be very professional, friendly, and helpful.
My wife and I live in Puerto Vallarta about 7 months a year. Our NoImmigrante plastic cards (replacement for FM3 a couple of years ago) were up for their 4th renewal (5 year total) Nov 30. (many others may not match our precise timing or tenure situation, so their process could be VERY different).
We knew of the proposed changes. We decided to wait for renewal/replacement unitl after Nov 9 or 10 so that we would benifit from the regulations.....we did not perceive much downside.
The process: we visited the INM office Tuesday during their first half hour. We were given forms, instructions, and a nice smile. Bring these items and all will proceed.....I must admit that we are maybe beyond kitchen Spanish, but between the INM first stop and our practiced understandings, this was to be a no brainer.
We did push the topic of qualifying via Real Estate investment, but that got a deaf ear. A formal doc was presented, via WebSite copy, that clearly stated the requirements for Residente Permanente.
Wedneseday morn.....And that is just what we decided to use for compliance. Formata Basico, web based application for Pieza, clearly outlinged elsewhere in this site.....it took maybe 30 minutes to complete the forms, much longer to download and print the first page of bank and stock broker statements over the past 12 months...All filled in and presented on Wednesday morning.
And, there was the choice given to us.....very appreciated that this was part of the Tuesday prelim office visit discovery........ Prove via printed regular statements that either 1) EACH applicant (zero understanding of 'spouse added at some percentage less') MUST show EITHER .....32,000 pesos per month income from REGULAR monthly deposits to a bank account for the past 6 months....OR....1,500,000 pesos average monthly balance in identifiable account(s) for the past 12 months......OR one must leave the county by expiration of the plastic card. If we chose to leave Mexico, we were told we could use the FMM 180 day method, or apply at a local USA consulate of Mexico for the Residente Temporal, which could transition to something else over time....intent understood.....if only my native natiion could be so clear.
So, we have used the online system, the officina visit, this site and others. Our application was accepted, logged into the national database system and we await the internet message to "go to the office" for the final fingerprint, fee payment, signatures......and some well earned chuckles over the entire process.
It is what it is, until it changes. This is factually how the process for our particular set of circumstances presented itself and was resolved this week in PV.

morgaine7

Nov 14, 2012, 9:26 PM

Post #6 of 443 (55164 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pvgolf] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
PVGolf, congratulations, and thank you for your detailed report. My only question is whether they accepted your printouts of online statements, or whether you had to provide original statements mailed to you by the companies. That's an issue for me, because all my financial accounts are "paperless". My situation is similar to yours, except for being on the 4th renewal of Inmigrante.

Kate

careyeroslib

Nov 15, 2012, 5:49 AM

Post #7 of 443 (55128 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thanks pvgolf! Quick question re: payment. Did you go to the office and get a form to take to the bank and bring back? (as we always did other years) And was it for $1000 pesos, or the $3,000 (I forget the exact number)? Many thanks. We deal with the Maritime Terminal office in PV too.

pvgolf

Nov 15, 2012, 5:57 AM

Post #8 of 443 (55123 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Our acconts are all paperless as well. I used my trusty home color pc printer, printed the front detail page from each of 12 months online statments at a brokerage house, mnade a second copy of each. At the PV INM office, they did not want the second copy, nor query about mailed originals (However, the instruction sheet did ask for an Original and copy.....so, go once again it is what it is. Be prepared and you will be pleased ) Each page I submitted was stamped by the official, he produced my new NUT and CLAVE associated with my PIEZA from the online application. He said to look daily at the INM website for an alert to come back to office for fingerprinting and the new card.

pvgolf

Nov 15, 2012, 6:08 AM

Post #9 of 443 (55117 views)

Shortcut

Re: [careyeroslib] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Exactly. When we first visited to ascertain the new process and were given instruciton sheets, we were also given a document/form to take to the bank. It was indeed for $1000 pesos. We promptly paid and made a couple of copies to attach with our packet which we submitted the next day.

Upon submission, we were told when we return for fingerprints and the actual card, we will be given another form to take to the bank and pay the amount of 3,185 pesos.
This two step process may or may not apply to other's situation. I did not clearly understand why that part of the application/renewal/update process now required two formal payments in two formal steps.

Of course, our process is not yet complete either. We could be notifed that something is amiss, something has changed etc, so don't count on a new Residente Permanent card until it is in hand. PV however does seem to have its act together at this officina. Smooth flow of people, sufficient clerks, new waiting room, still take number and wait though....we were in and out first time in 10 minutes of understanding the new process, then 1 hour on second visit to submit our packets.....45 minutes of that hour were spent reading and awaiting our number to be called. There were about 10 people ahead of us.

morgaine7

Nov 15, 2012, 7:28 AM

Post #10 of 443 (55087 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thanks again. Yes, I realize our office may ask for something different, but this gives me hope that online copies will be okay. I plan to visit INM to get the requirements before preparing my file. Another issue is that my accounts have quarterly statements, not monthly, so we'll see what happens with that. Each statement is 5-6 pages long, and I have two accounts, so I hope I also only have to submit the first page.

Kate

careyeroslib

Nov 15, 2012, 12:37 PM

Post #11 of 443 (55009 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Thank you pvgolf for your clear detailed answers to both my and Morgraine´s questions. We have always used Online Bank Statements with no problem at the PV office so it´s nice to know that appears to be the case . (Thank you too Morgraine for asking your question). We will certainly go to the office first to pick up the payment form. Best wishes to all.

Judy Parker

Nov 15, 2012, 3:53 PM

Post #12 of 443 (54957 views)

Shortcut

Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Went to INM in Nuevo Vallarta, Nayarit today and this was my experience.
My No Inmigrante card was for the first year in this new 4 year term. (No prorrogas listed on back side) I was able to renew for 3 more years to continue my Residente Temporal. The items required were:
Application from the internet (both pages with my pieza number)
One copy of photo and personal info page of U.S. Passport
Personal letter (they gave me a form letter to fill out so I could add my personal info)
2 front and 1 right side color photos
Formato Basico

I was given the bank form to pay for the next 3 years - $5940 pesos

Returned with 2 copies of the bank receipt and was given my registration form with my NUT so I could check when the card will be ready. I was told about 2 weeks.

No financial, utility bill, etc. required.
Everything easy but patient is necessary since so many folks need help with this new system.

La Isla

Nov 15, 2012, 4:17 PM

Post #13 of 443 (54944 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy Parker] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply

In Reply To

No financial, utility bill, etc. required. .

Do you mean that you didn't have to present proof of monthly income via bank statements?

Judy Parker

Nov 15, 2012, 4:31 PM

Post #14 of 443 (54931 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Exactly!

sparks

Nov 15, 2012, 4:35 PM

Post #15 of 443 (54929 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Seems like whether they consider this a normal renewal or a special renewal. Manzanillo was accepting 3 months (required ?) the first two days ... and now they are asking for 6. A normal renewal should require no income proof

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

La Isla

Nov 15, 2012, 4:39 PM

Post #16 of 443 (54927 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
What's the difference between a special renewal and a normal one? It sounds like all on the online angst about the big increase in the minimum monthly income required for the change from No Inmigrante to residente temporal has been misplaced. Or am I just getting confused again?

Axixic

Nov 15, 2012, 4:45 PM

Post #17 of 443 (54925 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
If you are renewing an FM3 rentista during the 4 time renewal, then you don't need financials. If it is your 5th time, you start over and need financials.

If it is a rentista lucracado or no lucracado (sp) you must show financials no matter where it is in the 5 year period.

La Isla

Nov 15, 2012, 5:06 PM

Post #18 of 443 (54912 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Axixic] Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply

In Reply To
If you are renewing an FM3 rentista during the 4 time renewal, then you don't need financials. If it is your 5th time, you start over and need financials.

If it is a rentista lucracado or no lucracado (sp) you must show financials no matter where it is in the 5 year period.

Having never had a rentista visa, I wasn't aware of that distinction. Thanks for the explanation.

Do you mean "lucrativo"? I have an No Inmigrante lucrativa visa, which allows me to work in Mexico. Each time I need to renew it, I must present a very brief written statement of what lucrative activity I´ll be engaged in (in my case, free-lance English teaching) and need to show proof that I paid Mexican taxes the month previous to my application date. That's it.

Axixic

Nov 15, 2012, 7:38 PM

Post #19 of 443 (54869 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
This is getting too confusing. I reread the post that explained showing financials for rentista and it might be only showing financials for a "rentista no lucrativo". You read it. My mind has tried to understand too much of this stuff lately.

http://yucalandia.wordpress.com/

I called the Hotline in DF four separate times today to see if I would get a different answer when speaking to another agent than the first one this morning, and, the answer from the four was the same;

1) When renewing, you can renew from one to four years, depending on how long you want to stay. If you have two years on your current visa and only want to renew for two years, that’s fine.
~ At the end of the four years total (does not matter whether the first year or two or three were FM2 or FM3), you may then request a change to Residente Permanente based on four years residence;
~
however, if you are here as a rentista no lucrativo, you will be asked to provide six bank statements** to prove that you have the monthly minimum required for Permanente ($2500 US ??)

2) You do not have to change to Permanente, just as you are not required to do now.
At the expiration of you Temp Visa, you may renew for 1-4 years at your discretion and stay in the country indefinitely. However each four years (if you renew for four years) you will have to once again show bank statements for six months showing the minimum monthly is being met. You do not have to leave the country and reapply in the US or Canada. You renew as you currently do forever…

La Isla

Nov 15, 2012, 7:45 PM

Post #20 of 443 (54863 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Axixic, thanks for the clear explanation. I suppose I should call the hotline and see what they have to tell me about my particular situation. I have the feeling the answer will not be as clear cut and consistent as it has been for yours.

Axixic

Nov 15, 2012, 8:25 PM

Post #21 of 443 (54847 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
It is clear for me today. I doubt it will be next week.

Let us know please what they say about a work permit. I might need to get one to qualify when my two years are up on my current FM3. If I understand correctly, I can renew for a temporal for two years then I have to show financials for a new one.

La Isla

Nov 15, 2012, 8:30 PM

Post #22 of 443 (54844 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
To get a work permit, you have to have a definite job offer or, as in my case, I had to show proof that I was qualified (and certified) to teach English.

Axixic

Nov 16, 2012, 3:27 AM

Post #23 of 443 (54815 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Other than a job offer, what will be the other qualifications? I found in the rules where one must have a business with 5 or more employees but that would be impossible for someone like you.

I can't imagine they need financials or the same financials for someone who is self employed, especially one who is teaching.

La Isla

Nov 16, 2012, 9:13 AM

Post #24 of 443 (54744 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Other than a job offer, what will be the other qualifications? I found in the rules where one must have a business with 5 or more employees but that would be impossible for someone like you.

I can't imagine they need financials or the same financials for someone who is self employed, especially one who is teaching.

When I first applied for permission to teach English free-lance, I had many years of teaching experience in the States and Mexico, but all that INM wanted to see was a piece of paper certifying my ability to teach. Since none of my 3 degrees were in TEFL, I attended a short course run by a friend here and got a pretty certificate, which did the trick and got me my initial FM3. By the way, I did all of this with the help of an excellent immigration lawyer in the D.F.

Axixic

Nov 16, 2012, 10:03 AM

Post #25 of 443 (54735 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Let's hope for you that it stays the same and you don't have to produce all the other information.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4