Can't Post | Private Reply
Is there a way to get rid of them?

sfmacaws

Nov 10, 2012, 11:23 AM

Post #2 of 7 (4276 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chuck77] scorpions

Forever? Probably not. However, cats are great scorpion killers as well as letting you know where one is located. The cats are faster than the scorpions and are able to bat them until they sting themselves to death. So, the best scorpion insurance is to have a house cat.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

tashby

Nov 10, 2012, 2:32 PM

Post #3 of 7 (4258 views)

Shortcut

We use a product called "Cynoff". It's available at local hardware stores, and no doubt other places. A small packet of powder. You mix it with water and spray it around the interior baseboards of the house, and exterior perimeter of the house.

Yes, it's an insecticide/poison, and also kills cockroaches. We don't have a house cat, just a useless dog.

robt65

Nov 10, 2012, 6:18 PM

Post #4 of 7 (4242 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] scorpions

Is there any problem if the dogs get into it, or is it a pet friendly product?

Thanks,

robt65

GringoCArlos

Nov 10, 2012, 8:46 PM

Post #5 of 7 (4227 views)

Shortcut

I read the Material Safety data sheet for Cynoff. It is a pyrethrin, which now used in most insecticides.

If you have it sprayed around your yard, just keep animals (and people) off of the area until the spray is dry, and store the insecticide bag where animals and kids can't get into it. It has low toxicity to mammals, with the LD50 value (meaning that 50% would die from that dose) is 2.3 grams of the material per Kg of body weight. This insecticide once applied is broken down within 4 weeks of application.

A better solution for scorpion control is to 1) make sure your house and any openings are caulked up or sealed (in the case of doors) and 2) eliminate the scorpions' food supply (mostly insects) by having a chicken or two in the yard. They'll take care of the problem by eating any insects and the scorpions. If you want to get back at a neighbor in the process, use a rooster or a peacock instead and then sleep with earplugs. :-)))

Chuck77

Nov 11, 2012, 12:12 PM

Post #6 of 7 (4183 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] scorpions

Thank you very much for this helpful information. I am now more assured that I can avoid scorpions.

Chuck77

Nov 11, 2012, 12:15 PM

Post #7 of 7 (4181 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] scorpions

Very interesting. And I do like cats. Thank you.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4