Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Mexico City & Surroundings

rayitodeluna

Nov 10, 2012, 7:29 AM

Post #1 of 20 (12893 views)

Shortcut

Where to find...quinoa and

Can't Post | Private Reply
Other grains such as bulgur , barley, whole wheat etc here in D.F. ?

We are in the north but I would drive anywhere once or twice to stock up on aome good grains!

My palate is sick of rice and oatmeal, those seem to be the only grains around here :)

I have seen whole wheat at one store but when I mentioned quinoa & bulgur to my inlaws they suggested I go to San Juan (which they have never been to, I am the one that told them I wanted to go there! ).

I knwo there has to be quinoa and bulgur here because A) I just bought another one of thise recipe booklets especially on salads, some with grains, and they are in there (magazine in Spanish and published in D.F. So I am thinking they should be available here!!) B) there was an article here on Mexconnect about quinoa here in MX and its historical origins.

Thanks in advance! I am thinking about doing a trip to San Juan on a friday soon...

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.
Family and expat blog here : http://threecurlygirlys.blogspot.mx/ ~~~~~~

GringoCArlos

Nov 10, 2012, 10:28 AM

Post #2 of 20 (12865 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rayitodeluna] Where to find...quinoa and

I have found most whole grains for sale in tiendas naturistas (health food stores) where they sell them in 1kg bags. I have never tried quinoa.

Barley (cebada in Spanish) is a nice change, and you can replace half or all of the brown rice with barley. I use 6 oz (by volume) of brown rice, 6 oz of barley, and 20-21 oz of water (barley takes about an extra 1/4 cup of water, and cooked for 10-15 minutes longer than brown rice to get a good result). Goes great in slow cooked soups in the crockpot too.

Here is a listing of places in Mexico to buy quinoa (called "quinua" in Spanish, and I think it would be pronounced "kee-NWAH"):
www.quinoamexico.es.tl/-Donde-Encuentro-Quinoa-en-Mexico.htm

(This post was edited by GringoCArlos on Nov 11, 2012, 12:10 PM)

Maesonna

Nov 10, 2012, 11:32 AM

Post #3 of 20 (12850 views)

Shortcut

My daughter found quinoa, I’ll ask her where. It was some health food store in Coyoacan, I think. I just had a look at the label. It’s imported from Peru, but the Mexican importer/distributor has this email: quinoamex@gmail.com.

She also found barley and rye (maybe at the same store).

I think I’ve found barley at Nutrisa (chain with many locations) sometimes.

The Comercial Mexicana where we usually shop has wheat grains in bulk in the produce section.

Jekemir has bulgur. (Scroll down below the photo for a list of locations.)

When you are looking for variation, one grain you can find with no problem is amaranth (alegria), since it’s grown locally.

And now, my requests:

I would love to find a source for tempeh.

I was buying chia at the same bulk bin at Comercial Mexicana as where they have the wheat, but they stopped carrying it. So, a source for chia, anyone?

Hard wheat flour (bread flour)?

(This post was edited by Maesonna on Nov 10, 2012, 11:33 AM)

rayitodeluna

Nov 10, 2012, 8:09 PM

Post #4 of 20 (12821 views)

Shortcut

Re: [GringoCArlos] Where to find...quinoa and

In Reply To
I have found most whole grains for sale in tiendas naturistas (health food stores) where they sell them in 1kg bags. I have never tried quinoa.

Barley (cebada in Spanish) is a nice change, and you can replace half or all of the brown rice with barley. I use 6 oz of brown rice, 6 oz of barley, and 20-21 oz of water (barley takes about an extra 1/4 cup of water, and cooked for 10-15 minutes longer than brown rice to get a good result). Goes great in slow cooked soups in the crockpot too.

Here is a listing of places in Mexico to buy quinoa (called "quinua" in Spanish):
www.quinoamexico.es.tl/-Donde-Encuentro-Quinoa-en-Mexico.htm

Thanks for the reply!

Any particular tienda naturistas? I have been to several around me and their selection is pretty poor.

And THANK you for the quinoa link. Fuuny though, in the cooking magazine I bought it is spelled the same as we do in English! I wonder how I would pronounce it in a spanish way (you know, like you have to do even with english words like "home depot" has a hard T on the end here?) .

And I will definately try your barley/brown rice recipe, we love brown rice here as well. Sunds delish! Have never thought to mix them, the slightly different cooking times dont matter?

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.

rayitodeluna

Nov 10, 2012, 8:15 PM

Post #5 of 20 (12819 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Where to find...quinoa and

In Reply To
My daughter found quinoa, I’ll ask her where. It was some health food store in Coyoacan, I think. I just had a look at the label. It’s imported from Peru, but the Mexican importer/distributor has this email: quinoamex@gmail.com.

She also found barley and rye (maybe at the same store).

I think I’ve found barley at Nutrisa (chain with many locations) sometimes.

The Comercial Mexicana where we usually shop has wheat grains in bulk in the produce section.

Jekemir has bulgur. (Scroll down below the photo for a list of locations.)

When you are looking for variation, one grain you can find with no problem is amaranth (alegria), since it’s grown locally.

And now, my requests:

I was buying chia at the same bulk bin at Comercial Mexicana as where they have the wheat, but they stopped carrying it. So, a source for chia, anyone?

I havent ever been to a Comercial Mexicana , but you are the second or third person to recommend it ! Must get over there.

And by the sounds of it, we would have fun cooking up a storm! My what grains you have hanging out in your kitchen!

I would also LOVE some bread flour, bought a 5lb bag of some last timewe crossed the border but that wont last long. King Arthur flour is available in walmarts in TX! Who knew?

(I cant see the Cafe Jekemir site because Im on an iPad. Will need to go to an internet cafe for that I guess! Will do sometime!)

Thanks!

Maesonna

Nov 11, 2012, 8:48 AM

Post #6 of 20 (12802 views)

Shortcut

I’ll save you the trip to the internet café to find the locations. I don’t know if all the locations offer groceries. The one where we go has a cafe and serves light meals, and has prepared food and ingredients you can buy and take away. The coffee is the best!

Jekemir Centro
Calle Isabel la Católica 88 A - B,
Col. Centro de la Cd. de México, C.P .06080
Tel: 5709 7086

Jekemir Lomas Anahuac
Magnocentro sn, Lomas Anáhuac, C.P. 52760
Huixquilucan, Edo. de México, México
Tel: 5290 9011

Jekemir Centro (2)
Artículo 123 #41-1 .
Col. Centro, Cd. México
Tel: 5510 0941

Jekemir Patio Pedregal
Periferico sur 5270,
Santa Úrsula Coapa, Coyoacan,
Tel. 5528 6006

Jekemir Coapa
Puente 186 local 12
Col. Amsa, Coyoacan
(What they don’t tell you is that it’s inside the Comercial Mexicana complex, on the ground floor. Just across the street from the Tec.)
Tel: 5603 6568 / 5603 6604

Jekemir Polanco
Horacio 304 local a esq. Petrarca.
Col. Polanco. C.P. 11560, Miguel Hidalgo.
Tel. 5250 6242 y 5545 7813

Jekemir Parroquia
Parroquia 204, Del Valle,
Benito Juárez
Tel: 5627 8480

Jekemir San Jerónimo
Av. San Jerónimo 630 int.39.
Dentro del Centro Comercial San Jerónimo. Col. Jardines del pedregal.
Tel. 5681 3613 y 5681 5733

Jekemir Auditorio Nacional
Paseo de la Reforma 50,
Chapultepec. México D.F.

esperanza

Nov 11, 2012, 11:49 AM

Post #7 of 20 (12785 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

And now, my requests:

I do not have a DF source for tempeh.

I regularly buy chía at the small Tuesday tianguis near my home in Condesa. (I don't go to the big Tuesday tianguis, it's farther away from us.) Any tianguis with a vendor who sells chiles, beans, spices, and other dried things will have chía.

A good friend of mine is a professional baker from London, now living in the DF. I asked her about bread flour. She uses Selecta and says it works fine for any white all-purpose flour application. Here's a recipe from her:
http://breadangels.com/...simple-cinnamon-buns

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Nov 11, 2012, 11:57 AM)

rockydog85251

Nov 11, 2012, 5:48 PM

Post #8 of 20 (12758 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Where to find...quinoa and

What is the going price for chia in your area? We had buying it in Colima for over a year at about $55mx kg then it started going up.....$60 kg....$70kg.....when we left last month it was over $110 mx kg at the cereal store! Is this because of the new "fad" of using it for Omega 3's?
Willie

esperanza

Nov 11, 2012, 9:21 PM

Post #9 of 20 (12748 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Where to find...quinoa and

If I recall correctly, it's 80 pesos/kilo. I'll probably buy some on Tuesday, so if the price is different I'll let you know. And really, chía has been used here for centuries--by pre-conquest people precisely because of its energy-raising components. I think the price of everything has gone up in the last few years--triple or more what the prices used to be.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

TigerTonio

Nov 12, 2012, 6:45 AM

Post #10 of 20 (12737 views)

Shortcut

I've seen quinoa sold in bulk at "The Green Corner", located at Mazatlan 81 en Colonia Condesa. http://www.thegreencorner.org/

Costco in Polanco currently has a prepared quinoa with arroz integral and spices mix (just add water). The brand is "Johnny's" out of the U.S. and it's sold as a box with 3 packets.

(This post was edited by TigerTonio on Nov 12, 2012, 6:46 AM)

rayitodeluna

Nov 13, 2012, 7:53 PM

Post #11 of 20 (12693 views)

Shortcut

Wow, thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time, will save me a trip to an internet cafe :)

I suppose Incould just call the closest location and see whatbthey offer, since you gave me their numbers as well!

OH! Thanks for the Comercial suggestion, I went to one today and sorta kinda freaked out in cooking giddiness. Found wheat berries, soy beans and pearl barley in their bulk grains section! Have soy sprouts started and wheat berries soaking right now for a yummy wheat and barley porridge breakfast in the morning!

Couldnt be more happier!

(Yes, I get this excited about cooking. LOL)

rayitodeluna

Nov 13, 2012, 7:58 PM

Post #12 of 20 (12693 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TigerTonio] Where to find...quinoa and

In Reply To
I've seen quinoa sold in bulk at "The Green Corner", located at Mazatlan 81 en Colonia Condesa. http://www.thegreencorner.org/

Costco in Polanco currently has a prepared quinoa with arroz integral and spices mix (just add water). The brand is "Johnny's" out of the U.S. and it's sold as a box with 3 packets.

Oooo my! The green corner website looks like it would be my candy store! Thank you for the link!

(What would I do without a little help from my *mexconnect* friends !)

Anonimo

Nov 14, 2012, 1:53 AM

Post #13 of 20 (12677 views)

Shortcut

Sorry, I arrived late to this discussion.

La Molinera "Progreso"

Check the Calle Aranda 26 bis, Colonia Centro, a couple of blocks east of Mercado San Juan. I mentioned this place before. It's just off the corner of Calle Ayuntamiento, with the psychedelic decor of the pulquería Las Duelistas immediately to the right, the back entrance to Panadería La Pilarica immediately to the left, then the mariscos stand "El Caguamo", on the corner.

They have just about every spice, grain and seed, dried fruit, chiles, moles, etc, known to humankind.

I'll try to embed a picture.

The shop is compact, yet this is only a small part of what's on display. There is a storeroom to the rear of the sales area. There is more stock on the higher shelves, only reachable by a ladder.

Saludos,
Anonimo

(This post was edited by Anonimo on Nov 17, 2012, 5:54 AM)

Anonimo

Nov 14, 2012, 2:07 AM

Post #14 of 20 (12676 views)

Shortcut

I usually use Harinera Guadalupe OPTIMA for almost all my baking needs. I won't say what its gluten strength is, as I don't know.

I also like Sello Rojo TRADICIONAL, when I can get it. It's more "naturally processed", although it's not integral.

For pastry and biscuits I like CELESTIAL, but I can manage fine with OPTIMA or SELLO ROJO.

One possible place to buy flour is from a panadería. Ask if they would sell some you harina de fuerza.

Saludos,
Anonimo

rayitodeluna

Nov 14, 2012, 7:18 AM

Post #15 of 20 (12662 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Where to find...quinoa and

In Reply To
Sorry, I arrived late to this discussion.

Check the Calle Aranda 26 bis, Colonia Centro, a couple of blocks east of Mercado San Juan. I mentioned this place before. It's just off the corner of Calle Ayuntamiento, with the psychedelic decor of the pulquería Las Duelistas immediately to the right, the back entrance to Panadería La Pilarica immediately to the left, then the mariscos stand "El Caguamo", on the corner.

They have just about every spice, grain and seed, dried fruit, chiles, moles, etc, known to humankind.

I'll try to embed a picture.

The shop is compact, yet this is only a small part of what's on display. There is a storeroom to the rear of the sales area. There is more stock on the higher shelves, only reachable by a ladder.

<---------- wipes drool off her iPad.

I will be going here today, thank you! Will post with an update on all my goodies :)

rayitodeluna

Nov 14, 2012, 7:21 AM

Post #16 of 20 (12660 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Where to find...quinoa and

In Reply To
I usually use Harinera Guadalupe OPTIMA for almost all my baking needs. I won't say what its gluten strength is, as I don't know.

I also like Sello Rojo TRADICIONAL, when I can get it. It's more "naturally processed", although it's not integral.

For pastry and biscuits I like CELESTIAL, but I can manage fine with OPTIMA or SELLO ROJO.

One possible place to buy flour is from a panadería. Ask if they would sell some you harina de fuerza.

Thank you Anonimo. Which would you use for a sweet bread (say... Pumpkin bread. I have 6 cups freshly cooked and portioned out waiting for me to use in a baking dish in the freezer!) ? Perhaps the OPTIMA ?

And those are available at larger gorcery stars?

Maesonna

Nov 14, 2012, 7:55 AM

Post #17 of 20 (12656 views)

Shortcut

The crucial detail isn’t the sweetness of the bread, but the leavening. Is your pumpkin bread going to be a yeast bread or a quick bread (i.e made with baking powder)? If it’s a yeast bread, then it can only benefit from a hard wheat flour. If it’s a quick bread, the regular flour is fine. The regular flours here are more similar to our pastry flour back home than they are like all-purpose flour. That being said, I’ve been doing yeast baking with these regular flours all these years, and it doesn’t turn out too bad.

GringoCArlos

Nov 14, 2012, 8:45 AM

Post #18 of 20 (12651 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
The crucial detail isn’t the sweetness of the bread, but the leavening. Is your pumpkin bread going to be a yeast bread or a quick bread (i.e made with baking powder)? If it’s a yeast bread, then it can only benefit from a hard wheat flour. If it’s a quick bread, the regular flour is fine. The regular flours here are more similar to our pastry flour back home than they are like all-purpose flour. That being said, I’ve been doing yeast baking with these regular flours all these years, and it doesn’t turn out too bad.

And refer to Robert's excellent post about High Altitude Baking in the Mexican Kitchen section for the needed adjustments to lowlander recipes. Don't waste those ingredients!

(This post was edited by GringoCArlos on Nov 14, 2012, 8:46 AM)

rayitodeluna

Nov 14, 2012, 9:39 AM

Post #19 of 20 (12641 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

The pumpkin breast is a simple quick bread. I do make the artisan bread in 5 minutes which is a yeast bread. So far I have just used a mix of tres estrellas white and wheat bread, but like you I would like to find different flour for that.

(Those interested the artisan bread in 5 min is a great, super easy recipe!
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Artisan-Bread-In-Five-Minutes-A-Day.aspx )

Anonimo

Nov 17, 2012, 3:09 AM

Post #20 of 20 (12596 views)

Shortcut

Optima works fine for pumpkin bread.

You might find Optima I'm larger supers, but my experience in PATZCUARO is that it's more available in older, local supers.
YMMV.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4