Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

robt65

Nov 10, 2012, 5:27 AM

Post #1 of 1 (9128 views)

Shortcut

High Altitude Cooking and Baking

Can't Post | Private Reply

I have been wondering why my cooking and baking (which always needed help anyway) was different from home in Kentucky. I remembered someone’s posting here of different burning rates for propane and that got me to thinking (twice this year now!!! (smiling)) All of a sudden it hit me! Altitude, . . . . it must make a difference.
I had no idea how much of a difference until I found this particular site (http://www.chefeddy.com/2010/02/high-altitude-baking/). I just thought I would pass this along for others who thought they might be becoming senile or had "lost their touch. Since our family lives at 6900 ft above sea level, it really makes a difference in what comes out of our kitchen, not only in cooking time and temperatures, but in the amount (quantity) of liquids and sugar, soda and flour changes during the cooking process.
After making some initial adjustments, now food is seemingly turning out better from our kitchen and is certainly tastier as a result of making some of these adjustments for high altitude cooking and baking.
Evidently where we live, we really have to make some serious adjustments, especially in baking pies, cakes, breads, pastas and such. Between 3000 and 3500 feet above sea level is one adjustment and between 3500 and 5000 is an additional adjustment and higher (like where we are at 6900 ft) even more adjustments in all areas mentioned above are required.
Everyone has to (of course) first know the altitude where they are living and proceed from there. There are several good information sites related to “high altitude” cooking and baking on the internet. All you have to do is look under high altitude cooking and baking.
I hope this helps some regain their good cooking in the kitchen as it has helped me.
Regards,
Robt65

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4