Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

EricWoods

Nov 4, 2012, 5:35 PM

Post #1 of 23 (7415 views)

Shortcut

Coming to Lake Chapala Area for Christmas

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello Everyone,
We are looking forward to spending the Christmas period in the Lake Area, we are coming into Jocotepec late on 21st December & Leaving 31st Dec in the very Early hours, this is exciting & new for us going to be first time to Mexico we are actually native of Northern Ireland though been living in Virginia since 2006, this is a 2 fold visit as we are seriously considering retiring to this area within the next year or so, this is an opportunity for us to sample life there and also make a holiday out of it,
what we are wondering is does everything close down for a long period over Christmas? we were hoping not as we would like to be able to meet with Real Estate folk to check out a few houses in the area, also it would be good if we could maybe connect briefly with some expats or a expat club to at least get some hands on advice on the pros & cons of moving here, if anyone has any suggestions we would be very appreciative either through Mexconnect forum or private e-mail ericwoods@verizon.net , We are so excited about coming down to Lake Chapala we are hiring a car so we can see around as much as possible in the 10 days

Hope to meet & make some friends

Eric & Irene Woods

(This post was edited by EricWoods on Nov 4, 2012, 5:54 PM)

vetteforron

Nov 5, 2012, 4:29 AM

Post #2 of 23 (7372 views)

Shortcut

Re: [EricWoods] Coming to Lake Chapala Area for Christmas

When you get to Joco go by the Plaza about 10:00 at the coffee shop there are a bunch of Gringos there. Look forward to meeting you.

Vichil

Nov 5, 2012, 6:39 AM

Post #3 of 23 (7350 views)

Shortcut

Stores are closed on Dec 25th and Jan 1 otherwise everything is open.

Axixic

Nov 5, 2012, 1:45 PM

Post #4 of 23 (7310 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Coming to Lake Chapala Area for Christmas

In seven years I've never noticed any stores closed on December 25th. My first Christmas here I thought everything would be closed and was surprised that everything was open including the corner tiendas. I think Real Estate offices and similar businesses might be closed but everything else is open as usual.

stevebrtx

Nov 5, 2012, 3:13 PM

Post #5 of 23 (7299 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Axixic] Coming to Lake Chapala Area for Christmas

Each year on Christmas day I go a different direction for the day, last year though the canyon N of Guad, other times to Mazamitla, Colima etc. and this year probably to Manzanillo but always I'm aware of the stores open on Christmas Day. It was wonderful to drive the Periferico with almost no traffic, but local stores are open in every village I have visited.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

EricWoods

Nov 5, 2012, 7:08 PM

Post #6 of 23 (7270 views)

Shortcut

Thank you all for the information we are really excited about coming to the Lakeside it sounds like everyone is one big family who enjoy life and also join in with the locals i think this is both sweet and very important i am hoping that my wife takes to the area she is more of a home person than me, i spent over 30 years as a long distance trucker so not just as attached to the home soil, i am a keen Classic Car enthusiast and would be very important for me to bring my toys down just hope this dont be a deal breaker, hope we have the opportunity to meet some of you over the holiday
counting the days now
Eric & Irene

cookj5

Nov 5, 2012, 9:12 PM

Post #7 of 23 (7255 views)

Shortcut

The Christmas period is part of the "high season" (Nov-March) when the area is flooded with "snow birds" from the US and Canada, in addition to the substantial number of full-timers, of which I am one. There will be plenty of people to talk to about life here. I hope you have made your reservations because things do get a bit tight at this time of year in terms of B&Bs and hotels. A good place to go to meet lots of expats is the Lake Chapala Society in Ajijic. They won't be open Christmas Day but will be most other days. Wonderful gardens, a coffee area, library, and tons of friendly people.

RE: your quest for real estate. DO NOT buy anything until you have lived here for at least a year, preferably two. Rentals are very reasonable, especially if you take a place for 6 months or longer. Why avoid buying?

1. There is no mortgage system resembling anything you are used to. Most people who buy do so in cash, which means that perhaps 1/4 to 1/2 (or more) of their net worth will be tied up in a home they might not be able to sell for years if they want to move or need to return north of the border.

2. There are no zoning laws or disclosure laws to protect you. Caveat emptor (let the buyer beware) is the name of the game. You might end up with very serious problems with your property with little or no recourse. To willingly involve yourself with the Mexican legal system is to walk into a nightmare.

3. Despite a slight decline from their absurd levels of a few years ago, the prices are still way out of line with similar properties you could now buy for less in the US. Since owners bought for cash, they often sit on their properties if they can't sell, and this can go on for years. They are not under the same pressures of someone who carries a mortgage. Also, too many owners think that because they bought at the top of the market (and probably dumped far too much money into turning the place into their dreamhome) that they can ask for top dollar. Too many forget that their place is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. You will occasionally run into a motivated seller who must move back to the US or Canada because of health, family, or other pressing reasons, but don't bank on it.

You will get the same advice from many people down here (except, of course, the local real estate agents). Be sure you thoroughly understand all the issues involved, and talk to many people, before you even THINK about buying property.

Axixic

Nov 6, 2012, 3:14 AM

Post #8 of 23 (7237 views)

Shortcut

You can bring one vehicle per adult, that is, an adult driving the vehicle across the border and the vehicle's title in the person's name. Don't expect that you can bring in several cars that are in your name.

Rolly

Nov 6, 2012, 5:11 AM

Post #9 of 23 (7230 views)

Shortcut

Depending on how old your "classic" cars are, you may be able to bring more than one.
E-mail Erik Fernandez Carranza <efernandez@banjercito.com.mx> with details of the cars -- make, model, age and number you want to bring. Sr. Fernandez is the Banjercito answer man. He speaks English.

Rolly Pirate

CanuckBob

Nov 8, 2012, 4:50 AM

Post #10 of 23 (7118 views)

Shortcut

Hola Eric, I am also a classic car nut. Be aware that your classic car(s) will be more of a target for thieves here in Mexico than up north. I opted to sell my '63 Corvette versus bringing it down and taking the added risks to store it and drive it around. The roads in the villages are very narrow and bumpy.

That being said I have taken to hot rodding & modifying old VW beetles (believe it or not....hahaha). They are plentiful down here making them easy to get parts and far less of a target.

Also, if you are into racing there is a great road and 1/4 mile facility about 30 minutes from the lake. They have regular events with everything from door slammers to top fuel funny cars.

Bob
Inside Lakeside
http://www.insidelakeside.com

petrcohon

Nov 8, 2012, 3:24 PM

Post #11 of 23 (7063 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CanuckBob] Coming to Lake Chapala Area for Christmas

In Reply To
Hola Eric, I am also a classic car nut. Be aware that your classic car(s) will be more of a target for thieves here in Mexico than up north. I opted to sell my '63 Corvette versus bringing it down and taking the added risks to store it and drive it around. The roads in the villages are very narrow and bumpy.

That being said I have taken to hot rodding & modifying old VW beetles (believe it or not....hahaha). They are plentiful down here making them easy to get parts and far less of a target.

Also, if you are into racing there is a great road and 1/4 mile facility about 30 minutes from the lake. They have regular events with everything from door slammers to top fuel funny cars.

don't worry, be happy eric! there is a couple that has lived here for 11 years that you never would suspect of having an mga and a triumph tr4. i have seen many corvettes here abouts and far more exotic and low slung machines than that.there is a ferrari/maserati dealership in guadalajara beside an expensive hospital. all these have low clearances similar to mine, which has 5 inches. canuckbob hasn't been here long and probably should have brought his vette if he would have studied more before he moved here. off street parking for the classics and exotics is important,just like anywhere. most thieves won't grab an exotic because they're too easily spotted by the police after a report is made. in any event, even in chapala, there are show and shines for the classics. a tapatio regularily drives his beautifully restored '52 red convertible around here and parks it for hours on a main street with the top down.

(This post was edited by petrcohon on Nov 8, 2012, 3:39 PM)
Attachments: 52 chevy 002.jpg (130 KB)

CanuckBob

Nov 8, 2012, 3:53 PM

Post #12 of 23 (7057 views)

Shortcut

Re: [petrcohon] Coming to Lake Chapala Area for Christmas

Jaja....I don't consider MG's and Triumphs to be classics, Peedro. Besides who would steal one of those. You should read the news or get out beyond the shores of the lake more often and see what is happening out there to people in targeted vehicles.

Bob
Inside Lakeside

petrcohon

Nov 8, 2012, 5:21 PM

Post #13 of 23 (7040 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Jaja....I don't consider MG's and Triumphs to be classics, Peedro. Besides who would steal one of those. You should read the news or get out beyond the shores of the lake more often and see what is happening out there to people in targeted vehicles.

i dunno boob,last time i looked an antique auto was 25 years or older and an mga was 50's and a triumph tr4 was 60's.so what you consider to be classic is irrelevant as far as autos are concerned by experts and world standards. don't worry about me getting out and reading as well, because i will always be ahead of you on the knowledge front on this topic it seems. who is peedro by the way? you appear to be very confused.

Axixic

Nov 8, 2012, 5:34 PM

Post #14 of 23 (7037 views)

Shortcut

Pedro is petrcohon. Snark.

CanuckBob

Nov 8, 2012, 6:06 PM

Post #15 of 23 (7030 views)

Shortcut

Jaja.....don't blow a gasket now peedro. A car can be an antique and still not be considered a classic. Next thing we know you'll be throwing Fiat's, Honda's and BSA's into the mix eh? Go smoke another one......

Bob
Inside Lakeside

(This post was edited by CanuckBob on Nov 8, 2012, 6:10 PM)

petrcohon

Nov 8, 2012, 7:41 PM

Post #16 of 23 (7012 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Jaja.....don't blow a gasket now peedro. A car can be an antique and still not be considered a classic. Next thing we know you'll be throwing Fiat's, Honda's and BSA's into the mix eh? Go smoke another one......

is there a car named troll or flame, boob, in your repertoire? the new fiat 600 is being sold again even here in mexico.
on the other hand,i will now defer to you as an expert in classics because of your superior education in all things. this is well known on the entire continent,n'est pas?

EricWoods

Nov 8, 2012, 9:32 PM

Post #17 of 23 (7000 views)

Shortcut

Hey,
well its early days yet i might or might not like the area anyhow even if i do decide to come here it will be at least 9 or 10 months off, if i do come i will definitely want to bring my 1968 AUSTIN MINI COOPER'S' (Have owned it since 1990) 1973 NORTON COMMANDO 850 MOTOR CYCLE (Just Restored) Also i have a farm tractor that i really cannot part with it is a 1968 NUFFIELD 4/65 (British have owned approx 15 years) anyhow i would only be interested in property with adequate & suitable garage space for my toys,
i do hope that i like the area when down in December
ERIC

johninajijic

Nov 8, 2012, 10:54 PM

Post #18 of 23 (6992 views)

Shortcut

hey peedro, who would want one of those British pieces of crap anyway? The Brits never made a good vehicle including Jaguar which I personally owned.

CanuckBob

Nov 9, 2012, 4:07 AM

Post #19 of 23 (6984 views)

Shortcut

I'm glad you concede and see the light, peedro.........jaja.

Now run out and get one of those Fiats as I'm sure they will become a timeless classic like the Miata.

Bob
Inside Lakeside

EricWoods

Nov 9, 2012, 11:53 PM

Post #20 of 23 (6914 views)

Shortcut

Hey,
i dont see the need for all this bitching about somebody's classic cars, anyhow any car irrespective of who or where it was made that is still around 54 Years later says something for reliability and build quality, i am a mechanic and operate a repair shop in Virginia, i persponally think the main problem with British cars in this part of the world is down to a lack of people with the knowledge to maintain and repair them lets face it if you have someone work on your HONDA-CHEVROLET-DODGE OR WHATEVER who dont have any clue of the marque then after you encounter reliability problems then you are going to blame the car not the inexperienced guy who worked on it, i personally have owned a lot of different makes & models over the years and have had just as much luck with British engineering as any other countries offerings, anyhow i dont intend to get this tread any further offtrack everyone is entitled to his or her choice so please let it rest on this note, lets continue with what this tread was really all about to begin with, again i would like to thank all the kind people who offered help advice and enough said from the people who just want something to bitch about maybe thats why they moved away from family and friends ah well enough said, my aim is to make long term friends for a happy retirement not enemies, one thing we all need to remember when you look back life is short really
So my motto is "Live an Honest & Peaceful Life and Try to be Happy and Content Along The Way"

Eric

Axixic

Nov 10, 2012, 5:57 AM

Post #21 of 23 (6902 views)

Shortcut

You haven't met Pedro or the others so you don't have a clue about what it is about.

Probably a good idea not to dictate what people can discuss on their local web board.

EricWoods

Dec 2, 2012, 6:26 PM

Post #22 of 23 (6119 views)

Shortcut

Hey Everyone,
Sorry it wasn't my intention to cause offence to anybody i am not that type of person i am just a dedicated Classic Car Fan and i do have a load of affection & faith in the British M.G. & Austin Mini Cooper these are the cars that i grew up with i drive them i wrecked them & i fixed them and still think they are fun cars to own
Wishing all a "Merry Xmas" hoping to meet some of you when down over the holiday time
Thanks for all the Good advice from all on the forum
Eric

bronco

Dec 10, 2012, 6:33 PM

Post #23 of 23 (5839 views)

Shortcut

torittos & the whole mall there is closed.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4