Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Arizonakid

Oct 30, 2012, 7:16 AM

Post #1 of 5 (2134 views)

Shortcut

Crafts store

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does anyone know of a store where a person could buy wooden beads of various sizes and colors. I'm making toys for my cockatiels and parrots. Any tip appreciated.

esperanza

Oct 30, 2012, 10:50 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2114 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Arizonakid] Crafts store

Fantasías Miguel, on Av. Hidalgo about three blocks from the Cathedral in Guadalajara. You will find anything your heart desires for any craft project you might think up.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Arizonakid

Oct 30, 2012, 6:18 PM

Post #3 of 5 (2084 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Crafts store

Thank you, Thank you. I certainly will give it a try on my next trip to the city.

Sunnyvmx

Oct 31, 2012, 7:28 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2052 views)

Shortcut

I have found long pipe cleaners, wooden hoop rings and such in the craft aisle at Soriana's. I save the plastic caps from milk and juice containers to string for toys and my birds love them. The best toys I have found are always in the baby aisles. They are durable, colorful and varied in plastic of all shapes and descriptions, but they are not cheap.

I've ordered macrame cord and supplies from the States and made a large climbing net that hangs in one window and I made a large PVC pipe gym too. The employees at the construction store thought I must be one crazy old gringa when I bought 1 1/2 lengths of pipe, 26 T joints and 9 elbows. They helped me tie the pipe onto my scooter to get it home. I took pictures back into the store when it was completed and they were very impressed, especially to see my bird out of a cage and playing with toys on the gym.

Of course, my birds love wine corks, paper towel rolls and some cat and dog toys too.

Arizonakid

Oct 31, 2012, 12:52 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2024 views)

Shortcut

Excellent ideas. After reading your note I went to a little shop that makes curtains close by and bought some wooden curtain rings. Then to the papeleria where I saw some 1/16th inch dia cord in various colors and bought a meter of each. I'll drill 1/8th inch holes through the rings and string them with a different color cord between each ring. I also bought some adhesive tape in various colors. I'll wrap a short strip of four different colors on each ring. I don't know whether my birds will even notice my efforts,but it sure will be colorful.
Thanks for the tip Sunny. I'll upload a pic later.

Larry

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4