Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

twelveoaks

Oct 27, 2012, 8:53 AM

Post #1 of 25 (8346 views)

Shortcut

Thanksgiving

Can't Post | Private Reply
My wife and I would like to put together a group dinner at a restaurant for Thanksgiving. Can anyone recommend some restaurants that prepare a Thanksgiving meal with all of the trimmings and do it well ?
Thanks

johanson

Oct 27, 2012, 9:42 AM

Post #2 of 25 (8327 views)

Shortcut

Re: [twelveoaks] Thanksgiving

I presume you mean here lakeside. I can tell you of several great options in Ajijic. There is Salvador's next to the El Torito grocery store and the Nueva Posada Hotel and restaurant. There are many more great options here as well.

twelveoaks

Oct 27, 2012, 10:48 AM

Post #3 of 25 (8316 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Thanksgiving

Hi,

Yes, I do mean in Ajijic. So, if you have any more recommendations I would appreciate them.

bournemouth

Oct 27, 2012, 11:09 AM

Post #4 of 25 (8311 views)

Shortcut

Manix would be another - Roberto's Restaurant on the carretera too.

johanson

Oct 27, 2012, 11:31 AM

Post #5 of 25 (8307 views)

Shortcut

And I forgot to add that the greatest thing of all is that we get to have two thanksgivings lakeside. Canada celebrates there's about the second Monday in October and the US, about the 4th Thursday of November. I always have two great Turkey meals each year here, Oh and I also love those other two places mentioned above, as well.

We have everything great here, except for snow, and now that I am much older, snow is no longer on my "Great things to have" list.

(This post was edited by johanson on Oct 27, 2012, 11:33 AM)

Gringal

Oct 27, 2012, 1:19 PM

Post #6 of 25 (8290 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Thanksgiving

Ditto on those two.

Arizonakid

Oct 27, 2012, 7:19 PM

Post #7 of 25 (8266 views)

Shortcut

Some of the better restuarants in the Ajijic area tend to be a bit noisy for holiday dining due to the concrete walls and ceilings, and, the lack of any kind of noise softening drapery. It doesn't affect the quality of the food but it is a little difficult to converse with your guests at times. This is especially true if there is any kind of entertainment.

If you would like to impress your guests with a beautiful dining room or enjoy your meal in a lakeside garden setting attended by a uniformed staff, then The Hotel Posada would be my choice.
The hotel is located at the South end (toward the lake) of calle Donata Guerra. Phone: 766-1344 for reservations. Prices are reasonable. It's almost a month until Thanksgiving, drop by the hotel when you are in town and check it out.

From the Carretera (the highway) the street is J. Ecarnacion Rosas, at the traffic light, West of the Pemex station. It changes to Donata Guerro about 4 blocks down.
Enjoy your Holiday.

robt65

Oct 28, 2012, 10:08 AM

Post #8 of 25 (8218 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Arizonakid] Thanksgiving

Someone might want to let "twelveoaks" know not to expect the same tasting turkey he is used to NOB. I personally find the Mexican turkey's very greasy here in Mexico. There is also a real hunt needed to find sage here if you decide to cook your own. Personally, I am bringing a good size frozen one down from NOB and have always collected a few bottles of rubbed sage from NOB. Just a thought or two.

Regards,

robt65

bournemouth

Oct 28, 2012, 10:33 AM

Post #9 of 25 (8211 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Thanksgiving

Robert - we're lucky in the Lake Chapala region to have access to things that may be missing elsewhere. I have in my pantry a large jar of sage (salvia - 95 gr.) packed in Zapopan for a company called Paola's Foodservice Spices - their website is www.foodservicespices.com. Yes, I used to haul it down from the north too but no more!

We also see such luxuries as Butterball turkeys - don't ask about the price however.

(This post was edited by Rolly on Oct 28, 2012, 11:05 AM)

robt65

Oct 28, 2012, 10:42 AM

Post #10 of 25 (8208 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Thanksgiving

Thanks for the web site info. I will look it up for sure. so many NOB'ers up your way they may even import NOB turkeys as well.

Regards

Robt65

johninajijic

Oct 28, 2012, 3:47 PM

Post #11 of 25 (8174 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] Thanksgiving

You can get that brand of spices in Super Lake.

I was in Walmart the other day and decided to look at turkey prices. It was not a Butterball. 44.50 pesos per kilo. Ridiculous.

(This post was edited by johninajijic on Oct 28, 2012, 3:49 PM)

Arizonakid

Oct 28, 2012, 5:13 PM

Post #12 of 25 (8146 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
You can get that brand of spices in Super Lake.

I was in Walmart the other day and decided to look at turkey prices. It was not a Butterball. 44.50 pesos per kilo. Ridiculous.

That's really not too bad John, I just checked a Safeway ad in Arizona on non-butterball hen turkeys, and the price was equal to $3.27 USD a kilo. At today's exchange rate that is 42.47 pesos a kilo.
Considering the shipping, 44.50 a kilo is probably not too outrageous a price for our local markets.?Si?

johninajijic

Oct 28, 2012, 10:11 PM

Post #13 of 25 (8119 views)

Shortcut

I must be behind the times. I was thinking turkeys were less than 1.00 a pund in the US. They were .78 cents a pound at Safeway, so that means approx 22.00 pesos a kilo here.

(This post was edited by johninajijic on Oct 28, 2012, 10:28 PM)

robt65

Oct 29, 2012, 9:45 AM

Post #14 of 25 (8081 views)

Shortcut

Hey John

You are right about the prices of turkeys climbing high this year, I think due to the severe droughts the country has experienced this past summer . . ... at least thatís the excuse folks selling the birds are using. No corn from the drought and high cost of any corn for turkeys,. . . . . and / or trucking fuel (corn additives) and the bird is giving the bird to all the consumers! (smiling)

Just remember . . . . . . . at least I can remember riding a streetcar in LA for a nickel and that was from center LA to West Hollywood!

Regards,

robt65

Arizonakid

Oct 29, 2012, 4:42 PM

Post #15 of 25 (8041 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Some of the better restuarants in the Ajijic area tend to be a bit noisy for holiday dining due to the concrete walls and ceilings, and, the lack of any kind of noise softening drapery. It doesn't affect the quality of the food but it is a little difficult to converse with your guests at times. This is especially true if there is any kind of entertainment.

If you would like to impress your guests with a beautiful dining room or enjoy your meal in a lakeside garden setting attended by a uniformed staff, then The Hotel Posada would be my choice.
The hotel is located at the South end (toward the lake) of calle Donata Guerra. Phone: 766-1344 for reservations. Prices are reasonable. It's almost a month until Thanksgiving, drop by the hotel when you are in town and check it out.

From the Carretera (the highway) the street is J. Ecarnacion Rosas, at the traffic light, West of the Pemex station. It changes to Donata Guerro about 4 blocks down.
Enjoy your Holiday.

I misspoke on this one. Donata Guerro is the street at the traffic light. Sorry

DavidHF

Oct 29, 2012, 5:11 PM

Post #16 of 25 (8034 views)

Shortcut

I'm sure you're referring to "La Nueva Posada" on Donato Guerra.

Arizonakid

Oct 29, 2012, 5:30 PM

Post #17 of 25 (8029 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Thanksgiving

Yes David, I was. It just doesn't seem to be my week to be accurate. Thanks for the clarification.

Musicman

Oct 30, 2012, 5:24 AM

Post #18 of 25 (8001 views)

Shortcut

robt65, I think I may have crossed paths with you. I went to the 1944 Rose Bowl parade and left with a Kodak moment.....I saw Roy Rogers on Trigger and Dale Evans, in no particular order. Giddy-up!

robt65

Oct 30, 2012, 3:57 PM

Post #19 of 25 (7950 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Musicman] Thanksgiving

Evidently you are also extremely amused by yourself. Are you positive that dale Evens wasn't you . . . .. . . . . . in no particular order?

robt65

Musicman

Oct 30, 2012, 5:35 PM

Post #20 of 25 (7938 views)

Shortcut

Actually robt65, since you put that twist to my post, I can't stop laughing.
You definitely have a naughty, sick mind. I'm thinking I should have said, "whoa", instead of "giddy-up", or at least I should have omitted the hyphen. My bad.
Your take on it really is a riot. Thanks for the best laugh I have had in weeks. Whoa, Nellie. I really must learn to be more politically correct. Oh, excuse my, while I wipe away these tears of heavy laughter.

johninajijic

Nov 2, 2012, 6:40 PM

Post #21 of 25 (7822 views)

Shortcut

I just saw Salvador's ad for Thanksgiving Dinner for 170 pesos with Turkey and Ham and all the fixings.

Armando's is 240 pesos.

Arizonakid

Nov 3, 2012, 7:11 AM

Post #22 of 25 (7772 views)

Shortcut

Are reservations required at Salvadore's for Thanksgiving, John? I would imagine they definitely are at Armondo's.

Thanks for the tip.

johninajijic

Nov 3, 2012, 9:29 AM

Post #23 of 25 (7758 views)

Shortcut

I think so and wish I had their phone no. available. Suggest you make reservations early. Stop in Bugaimbillas Plaza at Salvador's.

sanjuan

Nov 3, 2012, 11:40 AM

Post #24 of 25 (7744 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Salvador's (376) 766 2301

(This post was edited by sanjuan on Nov 3, 2012, 11:44 AM)

Arizonakid

Nov 3, 2012, 12:05 PM

Post #25 of 25 (7733 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sanjuan] Thanksgiving

Thanks sanjuan.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4