Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

juliehelenj

Oct 27, 2012, 3:24 AM

Post #1 of 29 (6880 views)

Shortcut

Temporary Accommodation in Queretaro or San Juan del Rio

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hot on the heels of my last thread to help me and my beloved decide between Queretaro or Aguascalientes, I have another request....does anyone know of reasonably priced temporary accommodation in Queretaro/San Juan del Rio please?
We will be coming out around January 3rd and would be grateful for any advice you can give....
Many thanks again for all your help and support so far!

GringoCArlos

Oct 27, 2012, 4:57 PM

Post #2 of 29 (6851 views)

Shortcut

Re: [juliehelenj] Temporary Accommodation in Queretaro or San Juan del Rio

Here are vacation rental houses listed in Queretaro (you can look in other places using the search options on the site). Most run between MX$1200 and MX$5000 per week, furnished with other amenities such as internet & cable TV. Cheaper than a hotel or a B & B. Many give a daily rate which will drop a lot if you rent by the week.

Remember that 06 January is a big deal here. Many people are still on vacations, and Queretaro gets a lot of visitors from Mexico City. The airports will also be busy until after Three Kings Day. There will probably be a LOT of vacancies beginning on 07 January once everyone goes back to their own homes.

http://search.vivastreet.com.mx/rentas-vacacionales+ciudad-queretaro?lb=new&search=1&start_field=1&keywords=&geosearch_text=Ciudad...&searchGeoId=222&sp_housing_weekly_rent%5Bstart%5D=&sp_housing_nb_sleeps%5Bstart%5D=&sp_common_main_type=&sp_common_designation=&sp_housing_weekly_rent%5Bend%5D=&sp_housing_nb_sleeps%5Bend%5D=&offer_type=offer&end_field=

(This post was edited by GringoCArlos on Oct 27, 2012, 5:02 PM)

juliehelenj

Oct 28, 2012, 3:44 AM

Post #3 of 29 (6831 views)

Shortcut

Re: [GringoCArlos] Temporary Accommodation in Queretaro or San Juan del Rio

Thanks GringoCArlos...I will check the site out today. I am always at my laptop these days!
We celebrate Kings here too, but if possible, I would like to try and at least be in Mexico (if not Queretaro) by the 4th. I am probably going to fly to Cancun as I have miles with Virgin to use. Another job for the list!
Meanwhile, if you think of anything else you think I should know, please give me a shout!
Kind regards and thanks again....

robt65

Oct 28, 2012, 9:59 AM

Post #4 of 29 (6812 views)

Shortcut

Good Morning Again juliehelenj,

Carlosgringo knows San Juan del Rio very well. He and I are friends and I am sure that he can guide you to some place he may know of for temporary housing. First you might define your concept of "temporary housing", secondly list your needs vs. wants. What price range are you looking for, cablevision, Dish network necessary; you might want to get a bank account started as soon as possible, maybe even before you leave Spain. I would think there are Spanish banks that have some sort of professional connection to Mexico. Maybe even a Mexican bank located in Spain, which would be a bonus in itself. etc. Just a thought.

Regards,

robt65

La Isla

Oct 28, 2012, 10:38 AM

Post #5 of 29 (6807 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Temporary Accommodation in Queretaro or San Juan del Rio

I have an account here with Santander, which is a Spanish bank. But there could be problems if the OP opened the account in Spain before arriving in Mexico. I suggest waiting till she arrives and figures out where she'll be living before tackling the bank.

robt65

Oct 28, 2012, 10:50 AM

Post #6 of 29 (6805 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Temporary Accommodation in Queretaro or San Juan del Rio

Hi Marsha,

That's a good point, but like in the USA when I moved here I opened an account with International Bank which is wholly owned by Banorte and found it very easy to open an account here with a simple letter from Inter National Bank after I opened my account in McAllen, Texas at the USA Headquarters for both banks located in the same building on Colonel Rowe and Savannah. All I had to do was fill in the blanks and only used my NOB passport for ID. NO CFE receipt, no JAPAM receipt and no other ID required. It sure made things easier here for me.

It's always worth a try to eliminate as many other hurdles as possible before a move. She also may wish to think about getting several copies of important papers (birth Certificate, etc., apostile before leaving Spain.

Just a thought or two.

robt65

La Isla

Oct 28, 2012, 11:05 AM

Post #7 of 29 (6800 views)

Shortcut

I've lived in Spain and had a bank account there and know that Spanish banks can be a bit tricky to deal with at times, though I have no complaints about how I've been treated by Santander in Mexico.

juliehelenj

Oct 28, 2012, 11:55 AM

Post #8 of 29 (6794 views)

Shortcut

Hi again Rob,
I have taken all you have advised onboard! Re temporary accommodation-we are hoping that within a week (possibly 2) we will have had chance to secure something more permanent. I will need internet connection for sure as I will be jobseeking (constantly!) We want somewhere clean and comfortable-am thinking 'not the Ritz, but not the pits'!
We will be bringing copies of everything as I am sure the procedure is similar to everywhere else now. Spain and Mexico share a lot of similarities!
My other half has an account with Santander, I am with Sabadell so we will look into that.
The list keeps growing but thanks for your help again....GringoCArlos will also help out with advice I am sure...and Marsha, glad you took a break to participate in the conversation!

robt65

Oct 28, 2012, 12:21 PM

Post #9 of 29 (6789 views)

Shortcut

Hello Again juliehelenj,

There is a hotel here in San Juan del Rio that was just bought by a gal who has put a fair amount of work into it. It is clean and comfortable. They have a good restaurant in the lobby and it is also located right across the street from a national chain commercial Mexicana food store. In fact they have the best Bolillo’s in town. It is also located not far from the bus station where you can catch a bus for a few pesos to Queretaro. It is located on the main street about a mile from the center of town. Safe and clean. I don't know the current rack rates but I will drop by on Monday and find out for you and see what a weekly or two week rate would be.

Regards,

robt65

robt65

Oct 28, 2012, 12:26 PM

Post #10 of 29 (6787 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Temporary Accommodation in Queretaro or San Juan del Rio

Hi Marsha,

I don’t know a thing about either Spain or Santander bank, but after you said that Santander bank wa a Spanish bank, I was hoping that maybe, just maybe she had an account there. I always think, and it has certainly helped me from time to time to think "outside the box". Maybe it would help and maybe not, . . . . .it only takes a few questions to find out.

Regards,

robt65

juliehelenj

Oct 28, 2012, 12:28 PM

Post #11 of 29 (6786 views)

Shortcut

Thanks Rob!
I am just starting to fine tune the flights, and we will have to stay a night in Cancun because of the connections. If we leave London on the 1st Jan, we can fly to QRO on the 2nd, but it's not a cert right now. I reckon with Kings thrown into the mix, we will need 2 weeks or at least 10 days, to settle, enjoy and start the slog for a 'home'.....so your help is doubly appreciated. We will buy you a drink when we eventually show up!Looking forward to getting something concrete sorted now...
Best....Julie

robt65

Oct 28, 2012, 12:34 PM

Post #12 of 29 (6785 views)

Shortcut

Hi Again,

You might want to drop Gringo a PM and ask him about direct bus service from the Airport in QR to San Juan del Rio. It is a direct run and not expensive. He really knows a lot of tidbits about both San Juan (where he also lives) and the city of Queretaro itself. He uses public transportation a lot and frequently goes to and from Queretaro, so he knows that stuff a lot better than I. He also knows San Juan del Rio like the back of this hand, at least a lot better than I. He has been here a number of years and I have only been here three years now.

Robt65.

juliehelenj

Oct 28, 2012, 12:37 PM

Post #13 of 29 (6784 views)

Shortcut

Will do!

esperanza

Oct 28, 2012, 4:00 PM

Post #14 of 29 (6769 views)

Shortcut

Most banks in Mexico--regardless of the nationality of the bank--require you to have what we usually call an FM-3 visa in order to open an account. Santander is one of those. However, if you have an account at a Santander in Spain, you may be able to use your ATM card in Mexico to withdraw funds (with no bank fees) from your account in Spain. You would need to verify that with your bank.

It's entirely possible that the OP will not need a Mexican bank account at all. Many foreigners live here for years without opening one.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

robt65

Oct 29, 2012, 6:36 AM

Post #15 of 29 (6744 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Temporary Accommodation in Queretaro or San Juan del Rio

Good Morning esperanza,

True, it is a possibility to use one's ATM card, however many times most inconvenient as there is a limit of $5,000 or sometimes up to $7000 draw per day. Depending upon what one wishes t do with the money 5 or 7 a day may not be sufficient. When my wife and I went to a number of other Mexican banks to inquire about an account we were indeed asked about such identification (especially such as ) CFE, JAPAN, Curp, etc.

As I think I said in an earlier thread from this OP, I had already made arrangements through an American Bank in the ststes, that is wholly owned by Banorte and I believe that is the reason why it took all of about 15 minutes to open an account at Banorte, when I arriverd in San Juan del Rio. Then again, who knows, the only thing for sure here in México is that nothing is for sure, and perhaps in another city, or other state, the same result at another Banorte branch may have been different.

All I had to show at the time I opened my account here was my passport and they already had a fax from my McAllen office of both Banorte / Inter National Bank At the Banorte office here when I arrived. But your experiences and some of my other experiences were or may have also been different. As I said, anytime, any place in Mexico things are capable of changing.

When I did have larger amounts of money sent to cover such things as buying our home and paying for construction materials, buying at the time a nationalized car, I did have to provide my FM 2 and CURP at the time of the transaction. Also now when I transfer more than a certain amount of $ I do have to provide every time my FM 2.

Regards,
Robt65

esperanza

Oct 29, 2012, 8:19 AM

Post #16 of 29 (6735 views)

Shortcut

Robt65, in earlier years some banks did not require a foreigner to have an FM-3 to open an account. I believe (although I could be wrong) that now all do.

The amount of money that any person can withdraw from an ATM depends on the daily limit arranged with the bank where the person has his/her account. The daily limit is not dependent on the ATM bank. For example, I am able to withdraw 8,000 pesos per transaction at any Santander ATM. My BofA account allows me to withdraw $2000 USD per day. I can, when I need to, make multiple ATM withdrawals--one right after the other--from any Santander ATM, until I reach my BofA daily limit. BofA will also raise my daily limit if I ask them; in fact, the other day I was talking to a BofA representative and he offered me a higher limit. I don't need it, so there is no reason to take the offer right now.

robt65

Oct 29, 2012, 9:37 AM

Post #17 of 29 (6726 views)

Shortcut

I believe esperanza that you will find that while a bank may set a "less than amount, the maximum amounts have been set by the Mexican federal government. This was all due to the drug cartel problem of laundering money. In the northern states the limit was much lower than a lot of other states without as large drug activity. When the peso exchange went to almost 14 to one the amount was lifted from $5000 Pesos to $7000 Pesos for a few months and then reverted again to no more than $5000. The banks cannot and have not superseded the federal government on this issue.

As the Peso fluctuates so does the maximum allowable by the Feds in Mexico, in most Mexican states other than the NOB and Mexico border States. I know this well as many, many times 2 or 3 times weekly, I sent my wife money from the USA to Tampico and Queretaro and was contacted by Western Union Security because I was sending a fair amount of cash money south of the border. I had a lot of explaining to do to Western Union Security and they on turn are governed by the federal governments of the countries they serve. This was explained to me by their (WU) security as well as Inter National Bank when I tried wiring it instead of using WU. Again this is my personal use knowledge.

Regards,

robt65

esperanza

Oct 29, 2012, 12:29 PM

Post #18 of 29 (6713 views)

Shortcut

But Robt65, you are talking about sending money to Mexico, not withdrawing money from an ATM. I have no knowledge whatsoever about sending cash from the USA to Mexico, but I have long years of personal knowledge of making ATM withdrawals.

robt65

Oct 29, 2012, 1:35 PM

Post #19 of 29 (6706 views)

Shortcut

I am also talking about withdrawal limits from ATM's, not only sending. It was a two way street, if you will. Possibly it is just my bank and if so, maybe someone else would please chime in here and let us know your personal experiences with different banks withdrawal limits from ATM's in México, where you are located. This could be interesting. Thanks, it won't be the first time I couldn't walk across a pond without getting wet, right up to you know where.

Regards,

robt65

robt65

Oct 29, 2012, 3:09 PM

Post #20 of 29 (6696 views)

Shortcut

Hello again Sr. Jocelin Tiejo,
I went this morning and told Sr. Jocelin Tiejo that you would probably be send her an e. mail for a reservation. I was only in that hotel a few months ago, after she first bought the place. They had done a lot of work then, but after today's visit, I can tell you the have put a truck load on money in the place since I was last there. They have rejuvenated the outdoor pool, all new patio furniture, repaired and repainted the pool , it really does look different and it looks quite inviting now. New windows in the place and the front grass patio with giant outdoor summer kitchen has been totally remodeled and cleaned up! What a place now. It is clear they are out to regain a lot of new business. Their new rack rates are $700 pesos a night and she has a promotion for old customers of $400 a night and she cannot reduce that rate anymore. I can certainly appreciate that after personally seeing all the new work on the place . . . . . . inside and out!

Here is the hotel information. Send an e-mail to Sr. Jocelin Tiejo at the hotel at least one week in advance of your arrival if you plan too stay there and she will give you the information and make a reservation for you at the $400 rate.

Hotel O´Puente – 3Estrellas
San Juan del Río, Querétaro
México

Dirección

Av. Juárez Pte. No. 185,
C.P. 76800
San Juan del Río, Querétaro

Teléfono

01-427-2720568, 01-427-2726118 y 01-427-2726299

hotelopuente@hotmail.com

Regard’s,
Robert

yucatandreamer

Oct 29, 2012, 10:31 PM

Post #21 of 29 (6673 views)

Shortcut

I regularly withdraw 12000.00 MP from my Canadian Scotia bank account here in Yucatan at any Scotia branch.. I have a $1000.00 CAD limit per day and I think it is $3000.00 per week. Up until now I have paid for most things with cash, even fairly large construction projects, which I saved up by withdrawing large amounts of cash. These limits were set and agreed to by me in Canada.

juliehelenj

Oct 30, 2012, 4:00 AM

Post #22 of 29 (6667 views)

Shortcut

Hi Esperanza,

Just a quick questiion: I have a BofA account (from living in the States). Can I use my ATM card at Santander's cash machines, or are there branches of BofA in Mexico (Queretaro particularly)?

Thanks!

Julie

juliehelenj

Oct 30, 2012, 4:04 AM

Post #23 of 29 (6667 views)

Shortcut

Robert.

Thank you so much for visiting the hotel and letting me know the outcome. I will e-mail Sra. Tiejo today and introduce myself to her and outline the expected dates of arrival (which depend on flights and connections of course). I will confirm as soon as I have something more concrete.
I can't tell you how relieved I am to at least know where we are going when we arrive, and express my heartfelt gratitude to you.

It's beginning to look less like a mess and more like a plan of action!

Julie

esperanza

Oct 30, 2012, 6:42 AM

Post #24 of 29 (6660 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi Esperanza,

Just a quick questiion: I have a BofA account (from living in the States). Can I use my ATM card at Santander's cash machines, or are there branches of BofA in Mexico (Queretaro particularly)?

Thanks!

Julie

Hi Julie--you can use your BofA debit card at any Santander OR Scotiabank ATM in Mexico, with no fee for making the withdrawals. BofA calls this a 'global alliance'; it exists with a few banks all over the world (including BNP Paribas in France, just FYI).

BofA has no branch anywhere in Mexico.

juliehelenj

Oct 30, 2012, 6:47 AM

Post #25 of 29 (6659 views)

Shortcut

That makes my life a little easier!
Another piece of my puzzle done ....thank you Esperanza ...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4