Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

juliehelenj

Oct 25, 2012, 5:39 AM

Post #1 of 11 (3973 views)

Shortcut

Queretaro or Aguascalientes?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi everyone! I am a Native English Teacher about to make the move (in January) to the Queretaro area. We live in Spain at the moment, and although I have options, I am unsure of where our base should be. So...we plan to come out after the Christmas break and stay somewhere for the first month whilst inspiration strikes.
If anyone has any useful information regarding the area or links to find our home for the first month I would be extremely grateful....I prefer teaching adults or In-company so I will need to be able to access the business area, plus my partner is a nursing auxiliary specializing in care for older people.
Please help!!
Thank you so much in advance!
Julie

La Isla

Oct 25, 2012, 11:04 AM

Post #2 of 11 (3944 views)

Shortcut

Re: [juliehelenj] Queretaro or Aguascalientes?

In Reply To
Hi everyone! I am a Native English Teacher about to make the move (in January) to the Queretaro area. We live in Spain at the moment, and although I have options, I am unsure of where our base should be. So...we plan to come out after the Christmas break and stay somewhere for the first month whilst inspiration strikes.
If anyone has any useful information regarding the area or links to find our home for the first month I would be extremely grateful....I prefer teaching adults or In-company so I will need to be able to access the business area, plus my partner is a nursing auxiliary specializing in care for older people.
Please help!!
Thank you so much in advance!
Julie

Hi Julie. I'm an English teacher too, though semi-retired these days, just teaching a few private students in my apartment in Mexico City. If you want specific information regarding working in Querétaro or Aguascalientes, I suggest checking out this website for expat English teachers: http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/.

As far as your partner working as a nurses aide in Mexico is concerned, those jobs are poorly paid here and would require an excellent knowledge of Spanish, not to mention the difficulties of getting permission from the authorities to work here legally.

Good luck with your move!

juliehelenj

Oct 25, 2012, 12:37 PM

Post #3 of 11 (3937 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Queretaro or Aguascalientes?

Hi!
Thanks for your reply.....I know that site but haven't looked at it in a while, so I will. I do have a few irons in the fire and we have done lots of research. My partner is Spanish so at least he won't have that hurdle to clear. Poco a Poco as he says!
Good to hear you are still teaching too...was put off D.F. by 'well-meaning' friends, but I am sure you could put me right...
Thanks again for your input, it's appreciated.

La Isla

Oct 25, 2012, 12:53 PM

Post #4 of 11 (3932 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi!
Thanks for your reply.....I know that site but haven't looked at it in a while, so I will. I do have a few irons in the fire and we have done lots of research. My partner is Spanish so at least he won't have that hurdle to clear. Poco a Poco as he says!
Good to hear you are still teaching too...was put off D.F. by 'well-meaning' friends, but I am sure you could put me right...
Thanks again for your input, it's appreciated.

Did those "well-meaning" friends live in Mexico City? Just wondering. I gave you the link to that other site because most of the posters here are retired or do not work as English teachers.

I wonder how your partner will react to Mexico. The language is the same, más o menos, but other aspects of life will be quite different from Spain.

juliehelenj

Oct 25, 2012, 1:00 PM

Post #5 of 11 (3931 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Queretaro or Aguascalientes?

No, of course not! Hence the quote marks.......;)
I am checking out some leads from your previous advice now....my lovely man is very grounded, and he is very excited but cautious too. Spain is just starting to feel the pinch deeply so it's a good time for him to be away for a while we think. I have lots of work here as the Spanish now understand that English is actually quite important in the Business World, but having lived in the States and here I am used to change. We will see!

esperanza

Oct 25, 2012, 1:09 PM

Post #6 of 11 (3929 views)

Shortcut

Wherever you decide to live and work, you and your partner will each need a visa with a work permit. You might want to investigate the costs of those items before you make a definite decision.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

juliehelenj

Oct 25, 2012, 1:12 PM

Post #7 of 11 (3926 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Queretaro or Aguascalientes?

Thank you Esperanza.....I am guessing the cost differs? Will we need these to rent a property?

esperanza

Oct 25, 2012, 5:50 PM

Post #8 of 11 (3913 views)

Shortcut

You should take a look at the highly informative page created by our own Rolly Brook: http://www.rollybrook.com. His section on living in Mexico will explain all the ins and outs of what you'll need to live and work in Mexico.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

juliehelenj

Oct 26, 2012, 2:58 AM

Post #9 of 11 (3887 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Queretaro or Aguascalientes?

I will do ...thanks for your input Esperanza.

Also, on arrival in Queretaro ( I think we will start there) we will need somewhere clean, comfortable and reasonably priced to stay whilst we find our feet.

Do you have any ideas please?

robt65

Oct 26, 2012, 5:55 AM

Post #10 of 11 (3876 views)

Shortcut

Good Morning juliehelenj,

Pardon me for jumping in here, but since I live in Querétaro, I thought I could offer a suggestion or two, you may not have previously thought about.

First off, I really think you will truly enjoy the state of Querétaro and its cities. C.D. Querétaro is a city filled with charm, history and wonderful plaza's and architecture. It is a very cosmopolitan city with a lot of American, Canadian and European manufacturing plants. There is very, very little drug related violence in this area and I sure hope it stays that way.

The cost of living in the city of Querétaro itself is fairly high. I would suggest to you that you think of renting in a smaller city such as San Juan del Rio or Tequisquiapan in pretty close proximity to C.D. Querétaro as the rents are substantially less and both these cities have an all around less expensive cost of living. From both these cities the public transportation Is excellent. For example the cost of a bus San Juan del Rio is between 22 and 26 pesos and takes about 40 minutes. San Juan in particular is an excellent smaller city with a fair amount of industry of its own, including several larger international companies located here.

There is a wealth of good international companies that also hire good English teachers (not only primary, secondary or universities) for teaching executives from their home country offices. As well there are well respected lawyers and notarios, I would suspect that also would certainly require such translation services from time to time. They also pay better (or should). There is an excellent pool of European and NOB companies here that could certainly be potential clients and the pay would probably be better also. La Isla would know more about such a pay scale than I for sure, but as a retired architectural consultant, I have had the opportunity here to pick up as many jobs as I wanted from such private corporations. Thinking about clients “outside the box”, so to speak has always been profitable for me in the past. You might think about looking up some companies from Spain doing manufacturing here in Mexico and contact them before you leave for Mexico and possibly get some very good leads or at least “a foot in the door”, so to speak.

Just a few thoughts in areas you might find applicable to your needs. Hope it helps a little.

Regards,

robt65
San Juan del Rio
Querétaro

juliehelenj

Oct 26, 2012, 7:29 AM

Post #11 of 11 (3866 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Queretaro or Aguascalientes?

Hi Robt65!
Thank you very much for your terrific advice...we need all the help we can get. Moving to a new place is always going to be stressful, and I was getting more aware that Queretaro, although now clearly where we want to be, is expensive to live in, therefore the outskirts are favourite for living in. The question then was where though? Which is where you came in, and I am glad you did.
I really enjoy teaching In-Company (businesses) and think I will be doing a lot of research in the next few weeks before we head out after Christmas. Targeting companies that need to use English is a must.
I am (supposedly!) having the day off to relax in the Spanish sunshine, but couldn't resist a peek at the forum!
Once again, thanks, and if you think of anything else, please feel free to share with me...we will need somewhere to be whilst we settle in particular, and any hints on red tape nonsense will also we welcome.
Kindest regards,

Julie

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4