Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Arizonakid

Oct 21, 2012, 5:38 PM

Post #1 of 9 (2965 views)

Shortcut

It's a beautiful day and Brunch at Mel's was very nice.

Can't Post | Private Reply
Mel's Diner is located in the Hotel Ajijic, on Calle Colon, directly across from the northern most edge of the Ajijic Plaza on the west side of Colon. Colon is a one-way street from the Carretera (highway)to the Malecon (sea wall on the lake).
Me's is located in the extreme rear of the hotel. You enter through the hotel lobby and proceed thru the garden to the dining room. From the street sidewalk to the dining room, about 30 meters, is wheelchair accessible. Help is available from the staff if required. Parking is at a premium as the morning wanes, so arrive early and save a walk. They open at 10am.
Mel's (Melanie) mother and father moved the restaurant to the Ajijic Hotel several months ago. You can detect a slight French/Canadian accent as Melanies mother directs the all Mexican staff. Dad, Bernard, holds down the omelet station.
The new location has both inside dining and a nice garden setting if you prefer an open air atmosphere. We chose the garden setting because it was such a beautiful morning. However, on our next visit we will chose a table removed somewhat from the cooking area to escape the slight aroma of propane.
The food was attractive and tasty. Coffee (good coffee) and OJ are ever present. There was a wide variety of typical Canadian/American breakfast fare such as French Toast, Crepes, Eggs Benedict, Scrambled Eggs, Ham, Sausage, Bacon, Hash Browns, Belgian Waffles, and a choice of a dozen or so fillers at the Omelete station. Also available were several piping hot authentic Mexican dishes including Chimichangas, Chilaquiles, and Chili Rellenos complimented by 5 different salsas and of course a large dish of Guacamole. After stuffing yourself you will find the dessert table awaiting you in the dinning room laden with all kinds of tempting sweets. We had our choice of Flan ( Mexican custard), a fruited bread pudding, rice pudding, a chocolate cupcake sprinked with shredded coconut, and several other delicious temptations that we didn't know the names of but tried them anyway.
Entertainment today was a talented musician/vocalist from Hawaii who now lives in Ajijic.
$140 pesos per person includes an nice tip for the staff. Mel's Brunch hours are 10 am to 3 pm.

While we were enjoying our first cup of coffee this morning we asked for an opportunity to glance through the dinner menu. Fantastic listing of traditional Mexican dishes, steaks, pastas, salads, chops, seafood and soups at reasonable prices. This is an absolute "must do again" experience for us.

Where have you eaten out lately? I would be interested in hearing about your epicural experiences in the Chapala, Ajijic, Jojotopec areas.
Happy Holloween!!

(This post was edited by Arizonakid on Oct 21, 2012, 6:24 PM)

joaquinx

Oct 21, 2012, 5:58 PM

Post #2 of 9 (2960 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Arizonakid] It's a beautiful day and Brunch at Mel's was very nice.

And you said that you couldn't write reviews. Well, your first one is a winner. ¡Me hace agua la boca!
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Arizonakid

Oct 21, 2012, 6:09 PM

Post #3 of 9 (2956 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] It's a beautiful day and Brunch at Mel's was very nice.

Thanks, I appreciate your comments. However, dummy me I forgot to attach the pix. I'll get them in somewhere.

Gringal

Oct 22, 2012, 9:11 AM

Post #4 of 9 (2902 views)

Shortcut

And don't forget Mel's omelet bar: many ingredients to add and have it "your way".

Another good Sunday Brunch is Roberto's, going west on the mountain side of Ajijic. This is sit down style in a lovely setting. First comes the generous fruit and other goody plates, along with a bread basket.
Then, the menu choice of many brunch favorites and a few "creative offerings". Little desserts follow. Coffee included.
Prices: Anywhere from around 75 pesos to over 100, depending on your choice of menu item.
You won't leave hungry!

(This post was edited by Gringal on Oct 22, 2012, 9:13 AM)

Arizonakid

Oct 22, 2012, 10:10 AM

Post #5 of 9 (2889 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] It's a beautiful day and Brunch at Mel's was very nice.

Yes, there were at least 10 to 12 ingredients available for omeletes. Mel's father is the omelete chef.

Have you been to Roberto's lately? My daughter mentioned Roberto's to me but added that a friend told her Roberto was no longer connected and the food quality had suffered. Have you and your husband found differently?

Gringal

Oct 22, 2012, 1:13 PM

Post #6 of 9 (2866 views)

Shortcut

Ah, rumors. How could we live without them? lol. Roberto and Omar are now partners in the business, and Roberto divides his time between here and Cayutlan, where he has a second home. Food quality is still very good, but some things are better when Roberto himself is there in charge, especially when it comes to making sauces....he's da man. Brunch is still the same. We ate dinner there yesterday.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Oct 22, 2012, 1:15 PM)

chinagringo

Oct 22, 2012, 1:15 PM

Post #7 of 9 (2862 views)

Shortcut

We have been traveling to Mexico and the Lake Chapala area since 1997. During our trip in August, we had dinner at Roberto's. Amazingly, this was our very first visit to this restaurant and we were pleasantly surprised by our choice. It is a wonderful setting, the menu selection was outstanding and our service was some of the very best we have ever experienced in Mexico. We didn't know it at the time but that Friday night happened to be a 2/1 night. Our meals were right up there with the best meals ever experienced along the north shore of Lake Chapala. Roberto's is now a definite dinner spot for future trips to the area!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Arizonakid

Oct 22, 2012, 2:29 PM

Post #8 of 9 (2847 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] It's a beautiful day and Brunch at Mel's was very nice.

Thanks friend, I will definitly put Roberto's on the family's dinner and/or brunch list. Daughter is in the States visiting my grandson........maybe son-in-law and I can make it happen this coming Sunday. Thanks again for the update.

Arizonakid

Oct 22, 2012, 2:46 PM

Post #9 of 9 (2841 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] It's a beautiful day and Brunch at Mel's was very nice.

Thanks Neil, I will make sure Roberto's will be on our list of "must do" eating establishments. Good food is a passion with us.

Larry

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4