Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Arizonakid

Oct 18, 2012, 1:16 PM

Post #1 of 15 (4540 views)

Shortcut

What, Where, and When

Can't Post | Private Reply
If I may be so bold as to offer a critique............When a member reviews a restaurant or any other place of business that might be of interest to other members, it seems to me that information other than what was eaten by whom, would be a huge plus. Information such as directions to the establishment, the closest intersection, open hours, if reservations are or are not required, what type of food, and an indication of overall pricing would be a suitable enhancement.

Restaurants change chefs, occasionally redecorate, and also make changes to their menus that could result in a great place to dine that at one time had a "try at your own risk" tag.

Since seldom do the majority of us have the same tastes and comfort zones, all of us should try to keep our fellow members up to date on a particular place of business we have recently visited and liked well enough to recommend to others regardless of what another reviewer might have said.

Snowbirds are arriving, and they will be just as lost as many of us were/are on our first visit. I have only been here 4 months and need all the help I can get to know where all the reasonably priced, good places are located.

arbon

Oct 19, 2012, 8:43 AM

Post #2 of 15 (4471 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Arizonakid] What, Where, and When

Can't Post |
Where and when a certain "Chef" is working is valuable info', every where.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

johninajijic

Oct 19, 2012, 3:45 PM

Post #3 of 15 (4431 views)

Shortcut

You could look at the top of this forum where the topic says "John's List of Ajijic Area Restaurants" and call their phone number for days and hours. Otherwise, I think you're asking for way too much. I've done a lot of work putting my list together.

(This post was edited by johninajijic on Oct 19, 2012, 3:46 PM)

Arizonakid

Oct 19, 2012, 3:52 PM

Post #4 of 15 (4425 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] What, Where, and When

You do what you want to do John, but this is not your exclusive forum and some of us would appreciate additional information. I am not going to get in a arguement over this but remember that everyone is entitled to an opinion, even "Newbies".

joaquinx

Oct 19, 2012, 4:53 PM

Post #5 of 15 (4412 views)

Shortcut

>Arizona, please do me a favor and write some restaurant reviews on this forum. The previous reviewer has apparently abdicated that position.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Arizonakid

Oct 19, 2012, 5:06 PM

Post #6 of 15 (4410 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] What, Where, and When

Thanks, I am not a pro at reviewing but I do think I have an idea of what folks are looking for when they want to find a good place to eat and how to get there.
Sunday, it's Mel's Diner for brunch. I understand it has been redecorated so maybe I'll shoot a couple of pix so everyone can see what it looks like inside.

chinagringo

Oct 19, 2012, 6:28 PM

Post #7 of 15 (4395 views)

Shortcut

You might take a look at restaurant reviews on TripAdvisor? Most are made by travelers not attempting to come across as "restaurant critics". However, a word of warning - the resident reviewers from the Lake Chapala area tend to rate every restaurant either very good or excellent to keep the view of "PARADISE" alive!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Arizonakid

Oct 19, 2012, 8:40 PM

Post #8 of 15 (4378 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] What, Where, and When

Good observation........however, sugar coating a review does nothing for forum members and or visitors who might read the review and could result in a dismal, disappointing, evening out. I would think there are plenty of GOOD restaurants locally to tempt ones palate without trying to label all of them as four star establishments.

chinagringo

Oct 20, 2012, 9:29 AM

Post #9 of 15 (4325 views)

Shortcut

If you haven't run across:
http://eatinglocalatlakeside.blogspot.mx/
you may find it interesting? More concentrated on local Mexican food than on the Gringo oriented International style restaurants.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

johninajijic

Oct 21, 2012, 8:00 AM

Post #10 of 15 (4256 views)

Shortcut

It's nice of you to start out by being "NASTY", Newbie. We already can see what you're like. I did MORE than I had to. Most people appreciate it. If you don't that's your proble, don't read what I post. My reviews are NEVER sugar coated.

FYI, my posts are not just my opinion. They are the opinions of our Dinner group which eats out semi monthly with an average of 8 - 12 people attending. Their opinion is worth more than anyones single opinion here.

So go out to eat and post some reviews for all of us. BTW, there are no 4 star restaurants in Ajijic, just like there are no 4 star Hotels or B & B's here.

(This post was edited by johninajijic on Oct 21, 2012, 8:05 AM)

joaquinx

Oct 21, 2012, 8:02 AM

Post #11 of 15 (4253 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johninajijic] What, Where, and When

cool it john, your not the only one to can eat out and write about it. Sit back and enjoy the reviews.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Gringal

Oct 21, 2012, 10:47 AM

Post #12 of 15 (4217 views)

Shortcut

Okay, kid: Here's an update on John's list (and John's list can be very helpful, but bear in mind he doesn't really like Mexican food.):
Armando's restaurant has changed ownership (I hear Armando retired) and now serves lunch as well as dinner. Hours from 11:30a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Lunches, both gringo food and Mexican are varied and around 65 pesos.

Our dining group of two went there yesterday. We seldom eat dinner out (I like my own cooking and dinners are very light at our house) but I like to get out of the casa for lunch along with doing errands.

Amy and her waitstaff are eager to please. We were very happy with our lunches, especially my husband, who had the Green Chile Pork burrito and declared it the best he's had in town. I had a simple hot ham and cheese sandwich: very tasty. Nice sides of pasta salad or potato salad with the sandwiches; beans and rice with the burrito.

Amy said we could also order items off the dinner menu if we wished, any time of day. Lots of choices there, from seafood to soup.

Located on Ocampo west end of town right near the Hotel Danza del Sol; plenty of street parking.
We'll return. Probably often.

So.........there you have the "hungry layperson review". It's not meant to replace anything John has offered, just add info. about the new lunch option. I also think it's good when posters point out their favorites....and especially why they like a place, along with admitting their biases. My bias: My tummy can't handle anything too spicy or greasy, so forget the deep fry and those with the fiery specialties. YMMV.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Oct 21, 2012, 1:35 PM)

Arizonakid

Oct 21, 2012, 2:51 PM

Post #13 of 15 (4197 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] What, Where, and When

I wonder what John wants to be when he grows up? It should be interesting.

johanson

Oct 21, 2012, 6:01 PM

Post #14 of 15 (4170 views)

Shortcut

John lives lakeside and has always made "interesting" posts. He has his favorites lists based upon what he has experienced. Do I always agree with him? No. But I think he has better tastes in food than I do. But then I'm happy having almost the same breakfast every morning at Salvador's in Ajijic and go out to about three other restaurants for lunch/dinner either to eat with friends or to get takeout food to bring home each week

Computers I know, but eating out, well, I would be happier with TV breakfasts and dinners if it were not for the great time I have socializing and talking with friends, and the fact that TV breakfasts/dinners aren't available down here.

I'll leave the food lists to you all. I'm going back to studying Windows 8, which is so different, that many of us seniors probably wont upgrade. Or if we do, get so confused that we will revert back to whatever we were using, be it Windows XP, Vista, or 7, or your new iPad and iPhone 5.

Arizonakid

Oct 21, 2012, 6:06 PM

Post #15 of 15 (4166 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] What, Where, and When

Thanks Gringal, sounds like a place I would like to try. I am sure to find it as I travel O'Campo quite often.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4