Oct 15, 2012, 11:47 AM

Post #1 of 7 (3351 views)

Shortcut

Police Raids in Michoacan

Can't Post | Private Reply
Can anyone shed light of this article:

http://www.sacbee.com/...campuses-battle.html
Dwain (aka Lilmsmaggie)

(This post was edited by Rolly on Oct 15, 2012, 12:40 PM)

esperanza

Oct 15, 2012, 12:09 PM

Post #2 of 7 (3341 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Lilmsmaggie] Police Raids in Michoacan

The article is fairly self-explanatory. However:

Teachers college students all over the state of Michoacán have continuously disrupted highways and towns with their repeated and ever-changing list of demands. This situation has been on-going for a number of years.

Currently, Michoacán's teachers colleges have been on strike--no classes--for over a month. In the last 10 days, students (and some teachers) have 'kidnapped' nearly 50 long-distance passenger buses, commercial delivery trucks, and other vehicles, along with the drivers of some of the vehicles. The students' current demands involve school requirements that were put in place by the FEDERAL government, but the students are terrorizing the state and making their demands to the STATE government.

Last night the police arrested about 120 students at various campuses, including schools at Tiripetío (between Pátzcuaro and Morelia) and Cherán (closer to Uruapan). Some of the kidnapped vehicles have been rescued, but others have been burned.

The state government is sick and tired of these violent demonstrations, but seems toothless in the face of the student protests.

The populace of Michoacán is also sick and tired of the constant disruptions, extortions, and demands made by the students. Roadblocks, kidnapped vehicles, and the shutting-down of Morelia and Uruapan's bus terminals are just a few of the problems the students have caused.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Lilmsmaggie

Oct 15, 2012, 12:16 PM

Post #3 of 7 (3338 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Police Raids in Michoacan

Sorry, but I still live stateside and just happened to see this article. I was curious because of the mention of vehicles kidnapped and/or seized. Although I have seen mention of student protests in the Mexico City area, these types of stories rarely if ever appear in our local paper unless its related to Mexican cartel drug violence.
Dwain (aka Lilmsmaggie)

esperanza

Oct 15, 2012, 12:57 PM

Post #4 of 7 (3324 views)

Shortcut

Michoacán, and especially Morelia, is almost always a hotbed of student strikes, protests, demonstrations, etc. The UMSNH--Universidad Michoacana de San Nicolás de Hidalgo students--the Nicolaitas--make the news a lot due to student strikes and demands. Their strikes are usually about admissions policies: not enough spaces for the number of students in one or another of the colleges of the university. This is commonplace unto the ho-hum in Morelia. Occasionally it escalates to the point that police are called in to calm things down, but usually the demonstrations just involve roadblocks, rock throwing, sit-ins, etc. "Just". I was in Morelia about three weeks ago...it took me more than an hour to get from the southern edge of the city to the Central Camionera, a 15-minute trip. Students had all the roads blocked with huge rocks and big tree trunks.

Michoacán and Oaxaca are the two Mexican states with the most student and political demonstrations. Mexico City, of course, is a thing apart: not a state, it's most similar to the District of Columbia.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Lilmsmaggie

Oct 15, 2012, 4:36 PM

Post #5 of 7 (3291 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Police Raids in Michoacan

I see what you mean. Very disruptive as well as provocative. They're really pushing it. Makes you wonder where they find the time to stage all these protests if they're supposed to be attending classes, studying for exams, etc. Rock throwing has been known to inflict serious injuries as well as kill. It's a wonder there aren't more crackdowns by the policía.

Thx.
Dwain (aka Lilmsmaggie)

Alejandro Juanes

Oct 19, 2012, 9:29 AM

Post #6 of 7 (3138 views)

Shortcut

These unsuspecting students are just pawns of the higher ups. Some know what the deal is but the ones who are sincerely interested in getting ahead in life are just being used in the power struggle between the PRI government and the CNTE-Normalista-PRD coalition. The PRD has lost alot of support and they want to get votes from anyone even if they have to compromise the rights of others. "Solo en México." - Don Rey

AlanMexicali

Oct 20, 2012, 5:26 AM

Post #7 of 7 (3082 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I see what you mean. Very disruptive as well as provocative. They're really pushing it. Makes you wonder where they find the time to stage all these protests if they're supposed to be attending classes, studying for exams, etc. Rock throwing has been known to inflict serious injuries as well as kill. It's a wonder there aren't more crackdowns by the policía.

Thx.
. ....................................................................................................................................................... Last night on Foro channel Adela they showed footage of several of these recent demonstrations, 2 in Michoacan and one in Mexico City. I could count only a dozen or so students involved in the 3 incidences on the footage shown. What is getting press it seems is minor incidences, at least THIS WEEK.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Oct 20, 2012, 5:31 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4