Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Mexico City & Surroundings

Elizabeth63

Oct 10, 2012, 3:37 PM

Post #1 of 10 (12273 views)

Shortcut

mailing a postcard from DF to USA?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I spent hours today searching for a post office..but both places on my map turned out to be non-existent. Can someone please tell me where I can find a post office, (I can take the subway) and if you know...what the postage might be for a postcard to the USA? Also, can you guess-timate how many weeks (months?) it might take to get there? Thanks.

esperanza

Oct 10, 2012, 4:20 PM

Post #2 of 10 (12261 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Elizabeth63] mailing a postcard from DF to USA?

http://www.sepomex.gob.mx/...inas/copostales.aspx
These are the post office locations for Del. Cuauhtémoc. You can do a search for other delegaciones.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Maesonna

Oct 10, 2012, 8:07 PM

Post #3 of 10 (12242 views)

Shortcut

Or treat yourself to a little sight-seeing expedition and go to the main post office across the street from Bellas Artes (Bellas Artes metro station on line 2)—you‘ll feel like you walked into a Harry Potter set, but it’s a working post office.

My guesstimate is 2 to 4 weeks.

Elizabeth63

Oct 10, 2012, 8:17 PM

Post #4 of 10 (12238 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] mailing a postcard from DF to USA?

Thank you. I had seen that huge and beautiful building last week, so I know right where it is...I'll head on over there tomorrow.

viktoremski

Oct 11, 2012, 1:43 PM

Post #5 of 10 (12194 views)

Shortcut

Hope you get more luck than I did back in the 90's. I bought eight postcards. I addressed some of them to USA, others to Germany and Poland. I went to that famous central post office. Got stamps on all of the cards, then I was instructed to place them in a dedicated slot in the wall. Well, almost twenty years later, they're still in transit...

Maesonna

Oct 11, 2012, 3:17 PM

Post #6 of 10 (12182 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viktoremski] mailing a postcard from DF to USA?

I don’t know about postcards, but last year I sent a package of important documents from the main post office and it arrived. I made the decision to use the post after previously having sent another package of important documents to the same destination (in Canada) via a reputable, well-known international courier company—and that package was delivered to a random stranger in a neighbouring city to the destination and never heard of again.

Elizabeth63

Oct 13, 2012, 10:27 AM

Post #7 of 10 (12125 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] mailing a postcard from DF to USA?

Wow...the Palacio De Correos is a truly magnificent building! I mailed my postcards, and they cost 11 pesos each for both USA and Canada. I put the date on them...so it will be interesting to find out just how long it takes for them to arrive...that is, if they DO arrive. ;-)

TigerTonio

Oct 24, 2012, 2:03 AM

Post #8 of 10 (11993 views)

Shortcut

I've never had a problem with mailing anything to/from Mexico City. 2-4 weeks is about right. Although, sometimes, I'm very surprised when a letter or package arrives here at my home in "La Condesa" in a week. It does happen.

rayitodeluna

Nov 10, 2012, 9:06 PM

Post #9 of 10 (11828 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Wow...the Palacio De Correos is a truly magnificent building! I mailed my postcards, and they cost 11 pesos each for both USA and Canada. I put the date on them...so it will be interesting to find out just how long it takes for them to arrive...that is, if they DO arrive. ;-)

Thanks for updating on the cost
, have been planning christmas photo postcards to family back home! Now I know!

Should probably send then NOW.

~~~~~~ Enjoying life in northern D.F. with our family of Americans and chilangos.
Family and expat blog here : http://threecurlygirlys.blogspot.mx/ ~~~~~~

Aaron+

Jul 19, 2013, 4:13 PM

Post #10 of 10 (9586 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rayitodeluna] mailing a postcard from DF to USA?

The postal charge remains, so far, at $11.50 m.n. (pesos) from Mexico to the USA. Somw post offices even have that denomination, currently including a stamp for Navidad. That rate is good up to 28 gr.

I have found that your postal card is more likely to arrive if you mail it in an envelope (yeah, address and stamp the envelope, not the card). You can find a great variety of envelopes in the larger librerías y papelerías.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4