Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

twelveoaks

Oct 9, 2012, 11:52 AM

Post #1 of 12 (3792 views)

Shortcut

need information on San Juan Cosala " tourist zone" restaurants

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi, I am looking for information on the lake front restaurants in San Juan Cosala in the area known as the tourist zone. I am particularily interested in Bambu if any one has eaten there.

We planb on taking some friends there for dinner and would like to know what types of food are served there as well as the prices ( medium, high ) and the overall experience. If you don't like Bambu do you have a recommendation for another restaurant in " the zone " ?

Thanks

DavidHF

Oct 9, 2012, 3:06 PM

Post #2 of 12 (3765 views)

Shortcut

Re: [twelveoaks] need information on San Juan Cosala " tourist zone" restaurants

The area is named "Piedra Barra Nada." Bambu looks nice but we've found the food mediocre and the service inconsistent. We've tried several of the restaurants there over the last 7 years and have settled on La Iguana de Piedra. It's the last or nearly last one when heading west. Most of the places have similar menus with lots of shrimp and fish. The prices are moderate with Bambu and Mariscos al Carnal a bit higher. There's no 4 Star dining to be had. The biggest differences are in ambiance and service.

esperanza

Oct 9, 2012, 4:39 PM

Post #3 of 12 (3754 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] need information on San Juan Cosala " tourist zone" restaurants

Actually, the zone is called Piedra Barrenada...the blasted rock. If you look up the mountainside as you are parked in front of the restaurants, you'll see why.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

DavidHF

Oct 10, 2012, 4:44 PM

Post #4 of 12 (3682 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] need information on San Juan Cosala " tourist zone" restaurants

Sounds the same when spoken. I was told "the stone blocks nothing." Which, of course, it doesn't!

esperanza

Oct 10, 2012, 4:56 PM

Post #5 of 12 (3676 views)

Shortcut

Well...your take is barra nada (BAHR-rah NAH-dah). If you're saying that 'barra' is a verb form, the only possible verb is barrer, which means to sweep. And 'barra' would be the first and third person singular subjunctive of that verb as well as the second person singular imperative, again of barrer, to sweep. It doesn't mean 'to block'. There's no verb 'barrar'.

On the other hand, barrenar is a verb which means to blast, or to drill. Barrenada is the past participle which acts as an adjective in agreement with the feminine 'piedra', stone. Barrenada is pronounced BAHR-reh-nah-dah. Similar to your take, but enough different to make a difference.

You pick.

DavidHF

Oct 11, 2012, 5:32 AM

Post #6 of 12 (3638 views)

Shortcut

OK, I think I get it. Now, please explain Barra de Navidad. The way you're using "barra" doesn't appear to work in that example. I'm trying to learn, not argue.

esperanza

Oct 11, 2012, 6:36 AM

Post #7 of 12 (3629 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
OK, I think I get it. Now, please explain Barra de Navidad. The way you're using "barra" doesn't appear to work in that example. I'm trying to learn, not argue.

In the case of Barra de Navidad, 'barra' is a noun. It means sandbar, and it can also mean the mouth of a river. I have never been to Barra de Navidad, so I don't know which is the appropriate meaning given the water situation there.

Just as in English, many Spanish words have multiple meanings. Barra, for example, can mean a bar (as in a chocolate bar, or a loaf of bread, or a bar of music, or the bars in the American flag, etc.) It can also mean the space bar on your keyboard. And so forth!

When learning Spanish, it's critically important to hear the differences (both from one another and from the pronunciations in English) in the pronunciations of all the vowels and all the consonants, to understand how accents change not only pronunciation but also word meanings, and to be able to replicate the differences in your own speech. For example, when you hear the name of the restaurant region in San Juan Cosalá, you hear barra nada--which gives rise to assumptions about the words' meanings. When you hear barrenada, the correct word, you can go look up the word in your dictionary and KNOW what it means.

Notice that San Juan Cosalá has an accent on the final 'A'. That accent means that the stress of the word falls on the last syllable. coh-sah-LAH. Most foreigners ignore that, but that's the way it is.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Oct 11, 2012, 6:45 AM)

Vichil

Oct 11, 2012, 7:12 AM

Post #8 of 12 (3616 views)

Shortcut

In French the meaning of barre denotes a shape and I bet you it is the same in Spanish, wether it is a sandbar or a bar for music or any other meaning it is an elongated narrow rectangle hence all the different meaning to descibe things that have all a similar shape,

joaquinx

Oct 11, 2012, 8:31 AM

Post #9 of 12 (3601 views)

Shortcut

need information on San Juan Cosala " tourist zone" restaurants

How did a restaurant thread turn into one about Spanish grammar?
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

tashby

Oct 11, 2012, 9:13 AM

Post #10 of 12 (3591 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] need information on San Juan Cosala " tourist zone" restaurants

Barra de Navidad sits on a sandbar. I don't know if there's a river there also, but there is an estero/lagoon that spills into the ocean. So maybe in its case, they get a twofer out of the word Barra. (Really, it's about the sandbar I think.)

As to the restaurants in San Juan Cosalá....some people enjoy Bambu, others like the Iguana one. I've only eaten at the latter and it was just okay that one time I went a few years ago. But both are nice environments right on the water. I think it's more about the experience than the food. There is also a newer restaurant perched on the hill/cliff overlooking the lake, just above restaurant row. Don't know the name of it, but some people have said it's nice.

I wouldn't go to any of them with terribly high expectations. Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

esperanza

Oct 11, 2012, 9:47 AM

Post #11 of 12 (3584 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Well...your take is barra nada (BAHR-rah NAH-dah). If you're saying that 'barra' is a verb form, the only possible verb is barrer, which means to sweep. And 'barra' would be the first and third person singular subjunctive of that verb as well as the second person singular imperative, again of barrer, to sweep. It doesn't mean 'to block'. There's no verb 'barrar'.

On the other hand, barrenar is a verb which means to blast, or to drill. Barrenada is the past participle which acts as an adjective in agreement with the feminine 'piedra', stone. Barrenada is pronounced BAHR-reh-nah-dah. Similar to your take, but enough different to make a difference.

You pick.

AAACCCKKK! Barrenada is pronounced bahr-reh-NAH-dah. Sorry, gang, I was half asleep.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Oct 11, 2012, 9:48 AM)

eyePad

Oct 11, 2012, 11:44 AM

Post #12 of 12 (3560 views)

Shortcut

Since there are 26 definitions listed in the DRAE with about as many more locutions, it's a pretty amazing word. Esperanza's definition is #11.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4