Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

joaquinx

Oct 2, 2012, 5:56 AM

Post #1 of 10 (4834 views)

Shortcut

Telcel and National Roaming

Can't Post | Private Reply
We pay a higher rate when we make cell calls outside of our area, but what about data? Currently, I get charged 1 peso per megabyte. Is the rate higher outside of my area. Both sending and receiving?
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

johanson / Moderator

Oct 2, 2012, 10:16 AM

Post #2 of 10 (4815 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Telcel and National Roaming

That's a good question and although I bet it's on Telcel's webpage, I hope there is someone who can tell us.

joaquinx

Oct 2, 2012, 10:23 AM

Post #3 of 10 (4813 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Telcel and National Roaming

In Reply To
That's a good question and although I bet it's on Telcel's webpage, I hope there is someone who can tell us.

If it's on their web page, it's well hidden.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

yucatandreamer

Oct 2, 2012, 12:57 PM

Post #4 of 10 (4798 views)

Shortcut

I spent the morning looking for the answer to that very question on Telcel's web site and did not find it. Perhaps someone who traveled in Mexico and used a smartphone could let us know.

joaquinx

Oct 3, 2012, 6:07 AM

Post #5 of 10 (4769 views)

Shortcut

Telcel and National Roaming

The growing opinion among my Mexican friends is that calls out of your region are more expensive while Internet/data is the same rate as your home region.
_______

hodamayo

Oct 3, 2012, 7:37 AM

Post #6 of 10 (4753 views)

Shortcut

I have 2 plans, 1 is a national and other is a mas o menos, The national plan does not charge me for any roaming or LD throughout Mexico, my wife did not get on the same plan. If you have an iphone plan from what is advertised it does not include the National plan.............Planes de nacional
Mike Mayo
hodamayo@hotmail.com
998 147 2532 Telcel
832 861 5106 Vonage
Facebook.USsatelliteTV.com

joaquinx

Oct 3, 2012, 7:48 AM

Post #7 of 10 (4749 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hodamayo] Telcel and National Roaming

Nice to know Mike. I should tell you that my monthly cost on the Amigo plan is 50 pesos. I seldom make calls and communicate with SMS messages, email, and WhatsApp messages. Shifting more to WhatsApp as it uses data rather than phone. If I really need to make a phone call, there is Skype.
_______

hodamayo

Oct 3, 2012, 8:09 AM

Post #8 of 10 (4742 views)

Shortcut

Joaquinex,

With the iphone, messages sent to other iphones are free. Vonage has an app that allows you to use that service for calls allover the world for free as well. I have all this apps as well, but prefer Vonage. I pay a lot more, but that is Ok as it is part of my communications, but it is part of living here. I set up American TV for people in Quintana roo, and need to have access all the time.

Thank you,
Mike Mayo
hodamayo@hotmail.com
998 147 2532 Telcel
832 861 5106 Vonage

joaquinx

Oct 3, 2012, 10:19 AM

Post #9 of 10 (4727 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hodamayo] Telcel and National Roaming

In Reply To
With the iphone, messages sent to other iphones are free. Vonage has an app that allows you to use that service for calls allover the world for free as well.

Ok, I'll bite. What is the name of the app. A friend of mine said that he could make video calls with his iPhone, however, it turned out that it wasn't a cellular contact, but via wifi, and through an app.
_______

hodamayo

Oct 3, 2012, 10:55 AM

Post #10 of 10 (4717 views)

Shortcut

On the iphone 4 and 4s with the new IOS6 you can use facetime or an app called Tango
Mike Mayo
hodamayo@hotmail.com
998 147 2532 Telcel
832 861 5106 Vonage

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4