Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Mellowmarsh3

Oct 1, 2012, 9:33 PM

Post #1 of 19 (13674 views)

Shortcut

Married to Mexican Citizen-Query re Visa

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am married to a Mexican Citizen. She moved to Mexico a few months back to help care for aged Mother. We have decided that I will move there also and plan to stay permanently-become a citizen.

I'm not sure of which visa to apply for. I don't qualify as a rentista -when I move I won't have sufficient income to meet the 400X Mex. City daily wage.

Does anyone know what it takes to apply as a "inmigrante familiar?" It looks like I wouldn't need to show income but my wife would need to show income "debera ser suficiente , a jucio del INM, para atender la necesidades de su conyuge o familiar," which I translate to mean income, that in the judgment of INM is sufficient , in the jugment of INM, to support the spouse(me) Has anyone had experience with this? Translate it to pesos? She owns a home in Mexico(not free and clear but she is current on payts)
Thanks in advance for the input.

La Isla

Oct 2, 2012, 7:54 AM

Post #2 of 19 (13635 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mellowmarsh3] Married to Mexican Citizen-Query re Visa

When you arrive in Mexico, you will be given an FMM, a kind of tourist permit to enter the country for 180 days.
Then I suggest you go to your nearest INM office (Instituto Nacional de Migración) to find out what your wife needs to do make you eligible to be an "inmigrante familiar".

esperanza

Oct 2, 2012, 7:59 AM

Post #3 of 19 (13630 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Married to Mexican Citizen-Query re Visa

Your wife will also want to talk with the people at SRE (Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores) about the requirements for you to become a Mexican citizen. INM handles immigration matters; SRE handles matters relating to citizenship.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

AlanMexicali

Oct 2, 2012, 8:17 AM

Post #4 of 19 (13616 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
{Quote]When you arrive in Mexico, you will be given an FMM, a kind of tourist permit to enter the country for 180 days.
Then I suggest you go to your nearest INM office (Instituto Nacional de Migración) to find out what your wife needs to do make you eligible to be an "inmigrante familiar".[End quote]
............................... .......................... Make sure when they show up at the INM they have apostilled copies of the marriage license, last divorce decree, if any and original, not a copy of your US and Mexican birth certificates, , first 2 need to be apostilled and your current FMM. A book passport, not a passport card is also needed. They never asked us for official translations into Spanish for my stuff. Our Acta de Matrimonio from Mexico had to have a official civil registar´s office copy that is different from the 2 we got that we signed. We took both and the INM officer copied only the official copy.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Oct 2, 2012, 8:19 AM)

Mellowmarsh3

Oct 2, 2012, 8:22 AM

Post #5 of 19 (13611 views)

Shortcut

Thanks. It sounds too simple-which always makes me nervous!

Do you know whether I'll be able to work as an inmigrante familiar?? We plan to set up a small biz-I don't know if I need a work permit if I'm an owner? I'm guessing I probably do.

esperanza

Oct 2, 2012, 9:34 AM

Post #6 of 19 (13583 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mellowmarsh3] Married to Mexican Citizen-Query re Visa

It's not simple, but it is certainly do-able. One of the stumbling blocks at this point will be the new immigration regulations, which are just about to be implemented. It's crucial that your wife talks with the people at INM (Immigration) AND SRE.

Good luck!

And yes, you will need a work permit to have even a small business.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

darrellk

Aug 20, 2013, 7:18 AM

Post #7 of 19 (9917 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Married to Mexican Citizen-Query re Visa

I also am moving to Mexico and my wife is from Mexico, does anyone know what if anything has changed with the new laws about me and being able to work in Mexico?

Also how about kids that were born in the US?

Thanks Darrell

YucaLandia

Aug 20, 2013, 8:01 AM

Post #8 of 19 (9906 views)

Shortcut

Re: [darrellk] Married to Mexican Citizen-Query re Visa

Hi Darrell,
Have you registered your marriage with a Mexican Registro Civil office? If not, then your marriage to a Mexican is not legally recognized in Mexico.

You can apply for Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente at your local Mexican Consulate. Each visa type has different requirements - which you can find here:

and ~ Financial Independence (Savings or Income) Requirements for Temporary Residency / Residente Temporal Applicants

~ Financial Independence (Savings or Income) Requirements for Permanent Residency / Residente Permanente Applicants

~ List of Items Required by Some Mexican Consulates to Apply for Residency

~ Other Categories/Qualifications that Permit a Foreigner to Become a Residente Temporal, including OFFERS of EMPLOYMENT

~ General INM Qualifications for Working in Mexico by type of INM permit

Residente Permanentes are allowed to work in Mexico. If you choose Residente Temporal, then apply for lucrativa status when you apply at the Consulate.

If you choose Residente Temporal, and you register your marriage to a Mexican at a Registro Civil, then after 2 years, you qualify to change to Residente Permanente.
Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Aug 20, 2013, 8:09 AM)

darrellk

Aug 20, 2013, 8:11 AM

Post #9 of 19 (9895 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Married to Mexican Citizen-Query re Visa

No, we are still in the states and just doing the leg work right now. Maybe coming down in a couple weeks and start the paperwork for the kids and put some bills from her Mom's home in my wife's name. The move most likely won't be till spring unless I get laid off and I become unemployed (fingers crossed) Then I just have to rent out our home and pull the kids out of school. I have read that it is a lot easier now with the Familiar and do it in Mexico than it was prior years.

Thanks for all the links! Looks like I have some reading to do. Gracias

(This post was edited by darrellk on Aug 20, 2013, 8:15 AM)

YucaLandia

Aug 20, 2013, 8:51 AM

Post #10 of 19 (9882 views)

Shortcut

Yes, it is easier to do it now (versus years past), and yes, it is easier to do it as Vinculo Familiar, but from what you wrote, you are not yet legally recognized as Familiar.

or... Did you previously register your children as Mexican citizens or register their births with a Mexican Consulate?

If you did these registrations, then you can apply as Familiar.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Aug 20, 2013, 8:53 AM)

darrellk

Aug 20, 2013, 8:57 AM

Post #11 of 19 (9877 views)

Shortcut

No nothing has been registered with the Mexican gov, never knew it was needed but then again I met my wife 15 years ago got married in 3 months I didn't know Spanish and she didn't know English! LOL
What I have read is when we go down we will get the kids there dual and I will go as a tourist for the 180 days and during that time we will register our marriage and then I will apply. Does that sound correct?

Thanks

YucaLandia

Aug 20, 2013, 9:13 AM

Post #12 of 19 (9866 views)

Shortcut

Hi Darrell,
Mostly correct.

The key is getting the kids' claims to Mexican Citizenship approved first (and relatively quickly). Then, as the father of Mexican citizens, you can apply for Permanent Residency under Vinculo Familiar - without leaving Mexico. Find out exactly what documents are required to get your kids registered as Mexican citizens, and have those documents ready. e.g. Some Mexican govt. offices require recent copies of birth certificates - apostilled by your US state's government. Also Note that non-family member foreigners, in Mexico on Tourist visas, are not allowed to convert to residency while in Mexico.

Further note that your state's Registro Civil office may not (or may?) approve your application to have your US marriage recognized. Registro Civil offices can take 6 months to 3 years to evaluate your application. The policies vary by state: Our Yucatan Registro Civil office is notorious for rejecting these applications. We had to have a second civil ceremony here in Mexico, because they would not recognize our 10 year old US marriage.
Happy Trails,
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Aug 20, 2013, 9:17 AM)

darrellk

Aug 20, 2013, 9:32 AM

Post #13 of 19 (9858 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the tip. Looks like we will be heading to Dallas ok Kansas in the next couple weeks to get the kids paperwork done.

Thanks again and I'll let you know what happened.

Aaron+

Aug 20, 2013, 9:55 AM

Post #14 of 19 (9851 views)

Shortcut

There are some potentially helpful steps you and your wife could take even while still in the USA.

Does your wife have currently valid official Mexican ID, such as a Mexican passport or an "IFE" (voter credential) PLUS an original or certified copy of her Mexican birth certificate? If so then you, at in theory, can register the US birth of your Mexican-nationality eligible children (based on their Mother's Mexican birth) at the Registro Civil section of the Consular Section at the Mexican consulate covering the area where you reside in the USA, and receive a Mexican registry of birth abroad. Both parents need to present themselves, or the Mother with a power of attorney from the father, plus their children's US birth certificates and whatever other documentation the consulate would require. That could pre-establish a vincular familiar (family tie) for you via your Mexican dual nationality children. (Do note that dual nationality is recognized in the USA and since about 2003 in Mexico, though there are some confusing language regarding the difference in Mexican law between citizenship and nationality.) Whether helpful or not to whatever type (temporal or permanente) resident visa and then status for you, it is a good idea to do for the kids anyhow.

For returning paisanos/paisanas, Mexican consulates supposedly provide free reorientation information, including how to obtain a CURP and an IFE (see below), the former needed for many administrative purposes and the later the internal voter credential used as a proof of identity in Mexico. (Even foreigners are supposed to get a CURP, population registry credential, but one comes with your residence visa.)

If she lacks a current Mexican passport, she should check with a Mexican consulate on how to obtain one. Presumably she would need an original or certified copy of her Mexican birth certificate. (There are many Mexicans whose births were never registered, and thus lack a birth certificate. There is a procedure for close family members to apply for delayed bc from the applicable civil registry office. Hopefully, you wife is not in such a situation.)

If you wife lacks any current Mexican official ID, she should register for a voter credencial as soon as possible upon arrival where you will be living -- presumably but not necessarily where she has family or good friends. She can pre-apply for an appointment for an IFE via the Internet, at
https://app-inter.ife.org.mx/...nitCapturaCitas.siac which, at least based on my wife's experience here in Mérida, could leapfrog a 2 or 3 week wait for an appointment. Rather than registering as living in the USA, I would advise using a local (to the IFE module) address where you could obtain an electric or water bill receipt (as from a family member, bill name obviously would be their's or their landlord's). Your wife would have to appear in person at the relevant IFE module in Mexico for her appointment.

Yucalandia noted that your US marriage is not recognized for various legal purposes in Mexico. Chalk that up to Mexican law. While you could go through the process of legalizing your US marriage in Mexico, a process so complicated that Yucalandia and wife finally just got married (again), this time in Mexico -- a process not free from its own complications. Meanwhile, my wife and my application for legalization of our US marriage under the supposedly less complicated new oral procedures technically available since late 2012 in Yucatán, supposedly has been sitting somewhere in the office of the judge for oral family law issues here since late June, with no indication of when we will be called before a judge for the hearing. The procedures involved are outside of the current topic.

From now on, if not already, whenever your wife enters Mexico she should present her Mexican passport to Mexican immigration, and her US passport to US immigration on entries and departures. That is perfectly legal. It is important that she does so.

We usually ticket my wife using her name on her US passport for air travel regardless of the country from which we are departing.

We hope your plans run as smoothly as possible given all the hiccups along the way.

darrellk

Aug 20, 2013, 10:13 AM

Post #15 of 19 (9846 views)

Shortcut

My wife's Mexican passport and voters card have expired years ago even though they let her vote last presidential election but she still has them. We were going to get them renewed in July when we were down but didn't have enough time.

Also since she became an American, she, me and the kids have gone down on tourist visas when crossing into Mexico. Will that cause any problems?

thanks for the tips

Aaron+

Aug 20, 2013, 10:36 AM

Post #16 of 19 (9839 views)

Shortcut

No need to go to Mexico to obtain a current passport for your wife since she still has the expired passport (although additional ID may be requested, check in advance with the relevant consulate, by phone or Internet). Again, go to the consulate which has jurisdiction for your area of residence -- not knowing where you live, do not know whether that is Kansas City or Dallas or another Mexican consulate. Check by Internet or phone with the nearest consulate. Many if not all Mexican consulates in the US have their own websites. The geographically nearest consulate may not be the one to which you should address your needs.

As for past crossings, well, do not bring that up. Only if asked specifically, if she can not just shrug it off and have that accepted, your wife should admit that she just did not know how to get proof of Mexican nationality for the kids, and if asked about herself, be honest and apologetic. From now on, hew to the legally correct usage.

Oh, and for various purposes, her valid US IDs (passport, driver license) are likely to be accepted as proof of identity, though likely her name will not match her Mexican IDs. As a (silly?) generalization, I think most Mexican officials are a bit more understanding/human than many US federal and state officials.

(This post was edited by Aaron+ on Aug 20, 2013, 10:40 AM)

darrellk

Aug 20, 2013, 10:43 AM

Post #17 of 19 (9831 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Married to Mexican Citizen-Query re Visa

We live in Tulsa, OK and I believe it will be the Kansas one.

thanks for all your help

salto_jorge

Aug 21, 2013, 7:46 AM

Post #18 of 19 (9764 views)

Shortcut

How long has the requirement for ones marriage to be registered in Mexico been a law ?

In the past Mexico must have accepted "unregistered" marriages since my adult children's birth certificates list my spouse and myself as married. Plus my wife has many Mexican documents where her last names are her maiden name and my fathers last name. Our civil wedding was in the United States and Religious wedding in Mexico.

Salto

YucaLandia

Aug 21, 2013, 8:16 AM

Post #19 of 19 (9755 views)

Shortcut

Re: [salto_jorge]Mexican Govt. Reqmnts for Registering Foreign Marriages

Back in 2006, INM required that our US marriage be registered at the Registro Civil, or they would not honor my FM3 application as the spouse of Mexican citizen. They repeated that insistence at every renewal and for my subsequent application for FM2. Our Registro Civil sat on the application for years - and in the meantime, INM accepted screen-shots of the Registro Civil's web page showing the "in-process" status of our marriage registration application.

Ultimately, both the Yucatan state Registro Civil and the Juridica refused to recognize our US marriage. They claimed that our Larimer County, Colorado ~ legal-sized wedding certificate ~ on bond paper ~ with an embossed stamp and seal ~ and with a bar-code sticker ~ and original signatures by all parties and the Country Clerl ~ was not legitimate, because they thought that official marriage certificates should have decorations - illuminations - scroll-work, etc.

Both INM and the Registro Civil agreed that we were NOT officially nor legally married in the eyes of the Mex. Gob, even after 10 years of marriage, living together w/o separations, connubial bliss etc... They both agreed that the only way to become officially married in Mexico, was for us to have a second legal civil wedding here. It was easy - we got married in a (2'nd) civil ceremony performed by the state Registro Civil this year - which was a good excuse for yet another nice little party with family and friends.

Due to hassles experienced by other foreigners married to Mexicans that occurred when one partner dies, we chose to double-up on civil marriages - having the 2003 ceremony in Colorado, and the 2013 ceremony in Merida. With the "September Will Month" coming, we will be updating our Mexican will(s?).
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Aug 21, 2013, 8:30 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4