Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Practice & Help Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DavidMcL

Nov 21, 2002, 6:54 AM

Post #1 of 30 (85856 views)

Shortcut

Request for reactions to a "Completely Different" Forum . . .

Can't Post | Private Reply
As these Forums (and site) have developed a strong community of active and not-so-active participants/readers, some have emailed me that with all the Forums being dedicated to "Mexico Only" topics, and our clear policy of removing non-Mexican relevant postings, that it would be nice to have a forum wherein folks could discuss "other stuff". . .

So:
What about it?
What limitations - if any?
Policy on Moderation?

Remember, the intent is not to divert attention away from Mexico, but rather to have a place where those who do feel that they belong to this community, can discuss stuff without going elsewhere or getting deleted.
David McL
WebJefe

(This post was edited by davidmcl on Nov 21, 2002, 3:51 PM)

Gone away

Nov 21, 2002, 7:29 AM

Post #2 of 30 (85385 views)

Shortcut

Re: [davidmcl] Request for reactions to a "Completly Different" Forum . . .

Can't Post |
Maybe something like

"Around the World" or "Global Interests" which could just about cover any topic, always keeping certain restrictions in mind. No commercial postings and keeping it clean.

My thought on the subject Dave

RM

alex .

Nov 21, 2002, 8:28 AM

Post #3 of 30 (85360 views)

Shortcut

Re: [davidmcl] its a business decision actually

Other boards have a "take it outside" or "lizard lounge" for out of genre discussions. They appear, from the outside looking in, to be a moderator's nightmare due to the emotion of the participants. They gets lots of hits though.....
Alex

pathall

Nov 21, 2002, 7:36 PM

Post #4 of 30 (85307 views)

Shortcut

Re: [davidmcl] Request for reactions to a "Completely Different" Forum . . .

I can't see the point in having a forum for discussions on topics other than Mexico. These forums are about Mexico. If people want to discuss other topics, let them go to other sites on the Internet.
Pat

Rolly

Nov 21, 2002, 8:05 PM

Post #5 of 30 (85302 views)

Shortcut

I vote for another forum. I like the "take it outside" name.

Rolly Pirate

Raider

Nov 21, 2002, 8:13 PM

Post #6 of 30 (85290 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pathall] Request for reactions to a "Completely Different" Forum . . .

Can't Post |
Nah..I think the web-san it's being very flexible here..rather than lose an opinion or comment I think a "Kilroy was here" kind of site (peeking over the fence) would be an excellent addition plus the whipmasters could get away from the delete key almost completely..kind of like opening the windows? And letting the bugs in, LMAO...along with some more light I guess.My vote is (standing up, adjusting toga and olivebranch tiara)Thumbs up!

Tony in NC

gringostarr

Nov 21, 2002, 8:39 PM

Post #7 of 30 (85265 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Raider] Request for reactions to a "Completely Different" Forum . . .

Can't Post |
yeah! "take it outside" sounds like a gr8 idea!

scott

Raider

Nov 21, 2002, 8:58 PM

Post #8 of 30 (85270 views)

Shortcut

Re: The regular crowd has voted now the Florida count begins

Can't Post |
Hi David! I think you just tapped into an obvious need. This Forum (in it's new form)it's still evolving and getting focused. I think from this nebulous beginnings a few star sites will emerge(patterns in nature repeat themselves) one being a free for all colliding meteors..sort of like a clashing of ideas or gnashing of teeth..well... you get my drift......oh! it's that you sandman?? Shouldn't you be laying on a beach somewhere?....better go now< this guy leaves grit all over the floor>

Hmm.. greetings to all, and to all a G'nite......Folks!!

I'd hate to send 18 years old kids to fight a war.

(This post was edited by Raider on Nov 21, 2002, 9:01 PM)

Gone away

Nov 21, 2002, 10:31 PM

Post #9 of 30 (85240 views)

Shortcut

Re: [davidmcl] Request for reactions Don't copy someone elses handle

Can't Post |
I don't want to be controversial, but if another forum were to be started, let's not "COPY" somebody elses name. Part of it is to come up with a "New" name to identify the area to be covered and which is not being used by some other forum, website or whatever.

keith

Nov 22, 2002, 8:03 AM

Post #10 of 30 (85199 views)

Shortcut

as long as we're on the topic of forums,

Can't Post |
There is a lot of overlap between Travel and On the Road Again. You could easily combine these two.

Any lounge or outside forum will evolve to some kind of chat room: group hugs for the ladies, pissing contests for the machos, political harranges for a bunch of other folks, religion. For such a forum to be much fun or to serve any therapeutic purpose, you will have to relax your moderating standards. You could call it The Cantina. On the other hand if you want to keep uptight moderating you could call it The Tea Party.

The Old Gringo

Nov 22, 2002, 10:04 AM

Post #11 of 30 (85180 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
It might be nice if some of the more acrimonious posters had a place to go or be invited to go to for their desperate need to be heard or when the post goes way off topic and deteriorates into personal attacks etc. It's a shame some folks only seem happy when attacking others.

As far as commercial postings go, I don't necessarily want to encourage it but when somebody would like to know about interesting restaurants and hotels it seems a shame that there is no mechanism for discussion that won't be censored. There ought to be a balance between "being helpful and blatant commercial promotion." These forums actually "work" when someone makes an inquiry due to a need and others post helpful responses (not attacking the inquiry or inquirer, etc). There are some wonderful, helpful posters on these boards with good knowledge/information to be shared. (Who gives more good, helpful advice/information than Jennifer Rose, for example?)

I would rather see someone be "censored" for "failure to work and play well with others" than for offering up the name of a really excellent taco stand or Menuderia in San Juan Fulano de Tal.

But that's me, I could be wrong

TOG

Captain Sinister

Nov 22, 2002, 4:57 PM

Post #12 of 30 (85123 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
In this new age of electronic communication ideas can often develop into many different and interconnecting areas, that are not always able to be constrained by the perimeters of just the topic of Mexico. Many times I have thought of responding to a post but held back, as the information I wished to post was not pertinent or exclusive just to Mexico.

As an adult, I have felt that some of the post that were removed were done in a willful and or arbitrary manor. I understand that the Web Master is the finale arbitrator as this is their sight, and they have limited time or energy to deal with the mischievous posters.

I have chosen to limit my participation on these BB as a response to this type of limiting discussion or this way of deleting post. I am far to old and experienced to let someone treat myself as the lowest common denominator.

I find that limiting the discussions have created an environment on these BB that is quite repetitive, with the same request for the same information. Information that doesnít change much, yet this request for information will be complained about when some one asks the inevitable question about FM3ís, or a car permit, etc., as these questions will has been answered many times already.

I think itís at least worth a try to let people act as adults, in a specific area that individuals are forewarned about, including a warning on the topics and limitations. An area where Adults monitor each other through their own conduct, which is being judge by the participants.

(This post was edited by Captain Sinister on Nov 22, 2002, 4:59 PM)

MarisolEnPlayas

Nov 22, 2002, 6:07 PM

Post #13 of 30 (85115 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Captain Sinister] Request for reactions to a "Completely Different" Forum . . .

Can't Post |
Oddly enough, I agree with Captain Sinister. I think that speaking about Mexico is more than what taco is great and simplistic ideas like that.

I come here to learn about other people's perceptions, even if I don't agree. I feel that even bad opinion is great, because it enhances one's understanding of how others feel. I've had people post some rather bizarre responses to my posts and I enjoy reading them. How else am I to learn about ALL the people that live in Mexico, including the Americans?

As I said before, most of my knowledge about Mexico comes from Mexicans, not Americans. But Mexico is not merely a country filled with Mexicans, just as the U.S. is a melting pot of many nationalities. If it were, none of us would be living here.

rick

Nov 23, 2002, 6:39 AM

Post #14 of 30 (85094 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Yes I think there should be an "OffRamp" for people that just want to socialize - rules would be no Spaming, flaming, illegal topics, or vulgarity

While you are talking about adding forums - the thing that strikes me as the biggest improvement you could make would be to have a forum for each specific area of Mexico - I know this would generate big interest and traffic to MexConnect - do not worry about getting volunteers for moderators - it will be easy - moderators are simply policemen and do not need to know the area

My suggested divisions to cover the whole country:

1 Baja
Baja - Baja Sur

2 Northern Highlands
Chihuahua - Sonora - Durango - Aguascalientes -
Zacatecas

3 Boarder
Coahuila - Nuevo Leon - San Louis Potosi

4 Colonial
Guanajuato - Queretaro - Michoacan

5 DF
Mexico City (DF)

6 Anahuac
Mexico - Morelos - Puebla - Tlaxcala - Hidalgo

7 Gulf
Veracruz - Tabasco - Tamaulipas

8 Riviera North
Sinaloa - Nayarit - Jalisco

9 Riviera South
Guerrero - Colima

10 Southern Highlands
Oaxaca - Chiapas

11 Mayaland
Yucatan - Campeche - Quintana Roo

jennifer rose

Nov 23, 2002, 8:25 AM

Post #15 of 30 (85100 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rick] Request for reactions to a "Completely Different" Forum . . .

Can't Post |
If you would look carefully, you would notice that there already is a Michoacan Forum. And one for Yucatan Peninsula.

rick

Nov 23, 2002, 8:24 PM

Post #16 of 30 (85037 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jenniferrose] Request for reactions to a "Completely Different" Forum . . .

Can't Post |
and you would be surprised to see there is already one for Chapala - but Jennifer that really is not all of Mexico

rick

Nov 27, 2002, 11:48 AM

Post #17 of 30 (84973 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Actually you only need to change the name of the practice forum

JudyinKC

Nov 27, 2002, 5:04 PM

Post #18 of 30 (84961 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Captain Sinister] Request for reactions to a "Completely Different" Forum . . .

Can't Post |
Captain Sinister, how about dumping the iltalics--pretty, but too hard to read.

David Eidell

Nov 27, 2002, 9:40 PM

Post #19 of 30 (84938 views)

Shortcut

Se Llama FUERA?

Entonces "fuera en la calle?"

One rule. No personal attacks?
Second rule: No expletives?

Andele Pues!

The Old Gringo

Nov 28, 2002, 6:37 AM

Post #20 of 30 (84924 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JudyinKC] Request for reactions to a "Completely Different" Forum . . .

Can't Post |
Apparently what we need is a seperate "Anti-Canadian" Forum. Might as well add an "Anti-American" one as well. Better make that "Anti-US", instead. That way people can have a place to purge, attack, and defend and when they've exhausted themselves (if thats possible) they can return to "Mexico" and remember why they wanted to leave the wretched northlands in the first place.

TOG

Cat

Nov 28, 2002, 11:33 AM

Post #21 of 30 (84901 views)

Shortcut

Re: reactions to a "Completely Different" Forum . . .

Can't Post |
I kind of like the idea of the new forum.

And I think Keith's idea of calling it The Cantina would fit right in with both the Mexican theme of the site, and the new forum's purpose.

Cat

jwwaterman

Nov 29, 2002, 3:47 PM

Post #22 of 30 (84857 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cat] reactions to a "Completely Different" Forum . . .

Can't Post |
For a number of years I have been involved with a users group for dB2k, the latest iteration of dBase. There are a large number of forums relating to programing, beginners, code libraries, etc. And then there is one called Water Cooler where there are no restrictions on topics whether it be tomorrows weather, humor or the best place to buy a hamburger. It gets a lot of activity. Pretty much I think it is because you have a number of people with a common area of interest...dBase programing..., but a very diverse set of other interests.

John

edna

Nov 29, 2002, 3:59 PM

Post #23 of 30 (84859 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwwaterman]"Completely Different" Forum . "Plaza"

Can't Post |
I am thinking of the plaza,,jardin on Sunday night.

"And then there is one called Water Cooler where there are no restrictions on topics whether it be tomorrows weather, humor or the best place to buy a hamburger. It gets a lot of activity. Pretty much I think it is because you have a number of people with a common area of interest."

keith

Nov 30, 2002, 10:25 AM

Post #24 of 30 (84813 views)

Shortcut

I should have made this post here

Can't Post |
I thought posts disappeared without a trace when the moderators found them worthy of being deleted, but I find, here and there in the forums, a kind of ghost of the post showing the handle of the offending poster and the name of the moderator who did us the favor of getting rid of the offending entry. I currently have two of these ghost posts in the Construction Forum (in one I suggested that Rolly's self portrait at his construction site could only be improved if he were shown to be drinking a Pacifico or Negra Modelo instead of a Corona long neck. I realize now this may have hurt Rolly's tender sensibilities while at the same time tarnishing the image of a brew often associated with Mexico. In the other ghost post I suggested to Alex in TJ that one traditional way of getting through the cold winter evenings was to wrap yourself in a thick cobija and resort to occasional pulls on a bottle of strong stuff. I now realize this not only cast aspersions on the condition of Mexican heating systems and the weather in Mexico, but it also encouraged heavy drinking and may have ended up corrupting Alex.).

I have another of these ghost posts in the Living, Working, Retiring forum where I said the connections and descriptions in one of Marisol's essay-like posts suggested she might have been stoned at the moment. Aaaargg! I realize now this kind of speculation could be tremendously offensive and dammaging to a pillar of respectability like Marisol.

Anyway, this gives me a total of three (3) ghost posts, more than any other single poster, making me Champion Ghost Poster. Eat your hearts out you other would-be namby pamby malefactors!

Maat

Nov 30, 2002, 5:33 PM

Post #25 of 30 (84801 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I think that one of the "problems" with an anything-only site is that is cuts off conversation in the middle. Most of the time when people have topic related conversations they are invariable digressions, that's just part of communicating. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Mexico-only site, that would be the purpose of the forum. What I would like to see is a forum for mexico but with more flexibility in allowing irrelevant digressions.

However, that doesn't mean I'd like to see a more volatile forum, just one that allows a bit more flexibility. Sometimes an interesting subject comes up that is not related to Mexico (or some other locale or question) and it's cut off. That becomes a bit disconcerting and frustrating because "normal" conversations usually flow from subject to subject.

Anyhow, that's my non-specific take on the question.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4