Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

tashby

Sep 13, 2012, 5:09 PM

Post #1 of 13 (3982 views)

Shortcut

Festival Cervantino

Can't Post | Private Reply
This year's Cervantino Festival is October 3 through 21. As it turns out, I'll be in San Miguel de Allende during most of that time. I seem to recall reading somewhere that events are held not just in Guanajuato, but also in outlying cities. San Miguel would be an obvious outpost.

But looking at the schedule on the official website below, I can't tell. The venues listed seem to all be in Guanajuato. Does anyone know if things will be happening in San Miguel, also?

Thanks!

http://www.festivalcervantino.gob.mx/

Vichil

Sep 13, 2012, 5:33 PM

Post #2 of 13 (3970 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Festival Cervantino

We have a Cervantino Festival in San Cristobal de las Casas as well . I am not sure if they are connected or not but they take place in several cities in Mexico.

eyePad

Sep 13, 2012, 6:29 PM

Post #3 of 13 (3959 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vichil] Festival Cervantino

I've never been but would like to go. I thought it was just in Guanajuato. But why it is named after Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra is beyond me (I assume this is how it is named), I read Don Quijote in the original and it takes place during the time of, or just after the genocide (commonly referred to as the glorious conquest) and has nothing to do with Latin America, nor does it use completely modern Spanish. Did he write something else or is he considered the father of spanish language literature? Don't know, very odd.

Itztlacoliuhqui

Sep 13, 2012, 7:21 PM

Post #4 of 13 (3945 views)

Shortcut

I have attached an Adobe Acrobat file of the press release detailing the Cervantino events occurring in San Miguel that the festival organizers uploaded to the virtual press site. The events for the San Miguel sites are all scheduled for the weekends from 4 October to 21 October. Locations are popular sites such as the Jardín Principal, the Parque Benito Juárez, and the Teatro Ángela Peralta. Artists include the Orchestra of New Spain, Aurelio and the Garifuna Soul Band, the Geneva Brass Quintet, Escalandrum, the Shanghai Chinese Orchestra and the Bolivar Soloists.

But I will put in a plug for the main venue in Guanajuato. Not only are there more offerings on more days, but the city itself becomes a performer, as you encounter street performances in practically every plazuela and callejón. It's an easy day trip from San Miguel and really is a spectacular city as well.
Attachments: Tematico San Miguel de Allende2.pdf (84.2 KB)

tashby

Sep 13, 2012, 9:27 PM

Post #5 of 13 (3923 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Itztlacoliuhqui] Festival Cervantino

THANK YOU!!!

This is exactly the information I was hoping for. Believe me, I've spent much more time in the city of Guanajuato than San Miguel de Allende, and I agree Guanajuato is phenomenal. I just happen to be tagging along with a friend who has rented a house in San Miguel for a month and wanted to know what to throw in the luggage in case we went out "fancy" for an event of some kind. When this trip came up, I didn't realize we'd be there during Cervantino.

So here's (another) question since you seem to live in Guanajuato City. Do you "sense" whether or not any hotel rooms or other accomodations might be left to stay in for a couple of nights?

La Isla

Sep 14, 2012, 9:02 AM

Post #6 of 13 (3885 views)

Shortcut

Re: [eyePad] Festival Cervantino

In Reply To
I've never been but would like to go. I thought it was just in Guanajuato. But why it is named after Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra is beyond me (I assume this is how it is named), I read Don Quijote in the original and it takes place during the time of, or just after the genocide (commonly referred to as the glorious conquest) and has nothing to do with Latin America, nor does it use completely modern Spanish. Did he write something else or is he considered the father of spanish language literature? Don't know, very odd.

Cervantes is the Spanish equivalent of his English contemporary, William Shakespeare, and is considered perhaps the most important Spanish writer of all times. Here's a bit more information about him from Wikipedia:

Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (29 September 1547 – 22 April 1616) was a Spanish novelist, poet, and playwright. His magnum opus, Don Quixote, considered the first modern European novel, is a classic of Western literature, and is regarded amongst the best works of fiction ever written. His influence on the Spanish language has been so great that the language is often called la lengua de Cervantes ("the language of Cervantes")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_de_Cervantes

Itztlacoliuhqui

Sep 14, 2012, 1:16 PM

Post #7 of 13 (3866 views)

Shortcut

No, sorry, I don't live in Guanajuato City. I'm just fortunate to have travelled throughout Guanajuato State, including the capital, Leon, Dolores Hidalgo and San Miguel. I'm also lucky enough to have attended the Cervantino, which I highly recommend.

You might try posing your question on the Guanajuato Forum. Someone local is bound to answer there.

eyePad

Sep 14, 2012, 1:32 PM

Post #8 of 13 (3863 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Festival Cervantino

Not to hijack the thread, I see my post as usual was a bit jumbled. My main point was not who Cervantes was, it was who he was in relation to Mexico and Latin America. "la lengua de Cervantes " now that is a bit over the top. Spanish was forged from the interaction of the celtic peoples with the latin of Rome, with a North Africa influence. All of which occurred before Cervantes' birth. It's this adulation of things european (without any introspection) that I find crass.

tashby

Sep 14, 2012, 9:06 PM

Post #9 of 13 (3824 views)

Shortcut

eyePad, all I know is what my current Spanish teacher from Guadalajara tells me. He says that when I'm completely perplexed and befuddled with a "that just doesn't make sense" kind of moment, it's okay to grumble, "Pinche Cervantes..."

He acknowledged and made sure I understood that Cervantes didn't create the language, etc. But he's also trying to learn English, so he said he sometimes finds it soothing to insert "Shakespeare" in the same phrase, and then move on.

And that's why I love my current Spanish teacher!

Since my original question (in this thread) has been well-answered, I'll just add this: The City of Guanajuato has an enormous Cervantes fetish. It's unavoidable. Everywhere. I found it unusual, too, the first time I visited the city.

sfmacaws

Sep 15, 2012, 1:14 PM

Post #10 of 13 (3782 views)

Shortcut

I think all of the spanish speaking world has an enormous reverence for Cervantes. I've had someone say several times about someone else who is well educated that they've read Cervantes. It is a sign of or a euphemism for a classical education.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

eyePad

Sep 15, 2012, 1:52 PM

Post #11 of 13 (3775 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Festival Cervantino

I have a diploma from the Instituto Cervantes and I certainly respect the Institute. Before I knew who they were, when passing their building in Madrid, I noticed a banner "El Día E, la fiesta de todos los que hablamos español” and thought how much I liked that. The funny thing about Don Quijote, it is great literature but is a tough read. It's a parody of novels of that time and has almost nothing to do with Latin America. Neither is it written in modern Spanish.

(This post was edited by eyePad on Sep 15, 2012, 1:53 PM)

La Isla

Sep 15, 2012, 5:49 PM

Post #12 of 13 (3757 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I have a diploma from the Instituto Cervantes and I certainly respect the Institute. Before I knew who they were, when passing their building in Madrid, I noticed a banner "El Día E, la fiesta de todos los que hablamos español” and thought how much I liked that. The funny thing about Don Quijote, it is great literature but is a tough read. It's a parody of novels of that time and has almost nothing to do with Latin America. Neither is it written in modern Spanish.

Of course, it's a tough (but endlessly facinating) read if for no other reason than it was written in the Spanish of the early 17th century, around the time of Shakespeare in England. Think of how hard it can be to read a Shakespeare play, if you want to understand it well. I don't think it has anything to do with Latin America, but so what? And it's a lot more than a parody of a novelistic form called "novelas de caballerías", which were romantic novels based on the feats (and loves) of legendary knights. It also contains keen commentaries on the political, economic and social situation in Spain of that time and lots of slapstick humor too!

clinn

Sep 28, 2012, 11:52 AM

Post #13 of 13 (3507 views)

Shortcut

My understanding is that the festival began with theatrical performances based on Cervantes. These eventually grew into the larger festival.

Also, there is a scholarly conference here in GTO every year where people come from all over (tho, mostly Spanish speakers) to present papers on the subject of Cervantes.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4