Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

andrew

Sep 9, 2012, 9:55 AM

Post #1 of 12 (9907 views)

Shortcut

Questions about Telmex

Can't Post | Private Reply
I've just moved to DF (Iztapalapa) and my fiancées internet access is horrendous - she only ever used it for email.
It looks like we cant get Cablevision at all here, but we're with Telmex on what seems to be a 1mbps line, but too slow to make reasonable skype calls to my family back in England.
I'm going to need about 8mbps for work by mid-october and be able to download about 200gb a month (often more, but I can deal with that via couriers)

Does telmex have any kind of data caps? and if so, where do they lie?

Rolly

Sep 9, 2012, 10:12 AM

Post #2 of 12 (9904 views)

Shortcut

Re: [andrew] Questions about Telmex

Data caps,No. High speed, No.
Reaf more here.

Rolly Pirate

andrew

Sep 9, 2012, 10:17 AM

Post #3 of 12 (9899 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Questions about Telmex

Thanks for the speedy reply. the speed limits are annoying but the lack of caps is excellent news.

Rolly

Sep 9, 2012, 10:19 AM

Post #4 of 12 (9897 views)

Shortcut

At 1mbps, Skype should work fine. You need o get a technician to come to your place to test the line. Faulty connections between the street and the house are a common problem.

Rolly Pirate

andrew

Sep 9, 2012, 10:23 AM

Post #5 of 12 (9891 views)

Shortcut

yeah, im rarely ever getting above 40k/s, but I don't know if that's because her brother (who lives next door) also uses it, which is why I'm looking to upgrade.
I'll get her brother to do the phonecall. Thanks again

johanson / Moderator

Sep 9, 2012, 11:28 AM

Post #6 of 12 (9884 views)

Shortcut

You will be happy to know that Telmex is in the process of doubling the speeds mentioned in Rolly's great article. Also if you have a smart phone you can always download an app for finding WiFi locations or if needed use the say your iPhone as your access point for getting internet over your cell phone to say your laptop, an expensive option.

There are many excellent options available to you in many of the more populated areas of Mexico. What need to do is find a tech savy person for your area

Oh on the what was up to 2meg middle package for Telmex, I'm now getting almost 5 down by about 0.6 megs up all for $599 per month

For more info, visit here

andrew

Sep 9, 2012, 2:40 PM

Post #7 of 12 (9867 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Questions about Telmex

I did wonder about the speeds. That makes more sense with the upgrades.
I dont have data on my iphone here yet and I'm probably not going to bother, so I cant do the tethering or hotspot thing with it.
Ive checked with my phone and there are no other wireless networks nearby so I cant use those unfortunately.
I'll probably just pick up the middle telmex bundle and get the extra 5mps for $200.

Thanks for the help guys.

johanson / Moderator

Sep 9, 2012, 2:56 PM

Post #8 of 12 (9865 views)

Shortcut

Luckily I finally got the 5 meg connection for the $599. They finally gave me the promised upgrade

ON ANOTHER MATTER. I have lost internet connectivity in my Seattle Condo for a day or three so will only be checking this site when I can find Free WiFi, like I have right now. Sorry about that.

Rolly

Sep 9, 2012, 3:31 PM

Post #9 of 12 (9861 views)

Shortcut

The internet service number has English speaking techs available. Just ask "Ingles por favor."

Rolly Pirate

johanson / Moderator

Sep 9, 2012, 6:45 PM

Post #10 of 12 (9846 views)

Shortcut

Thanks Rolly for being there for me. When living in Seattle, I'm in a mid rise condo half way up on the 19th floor. It seems that when I converted from Comcast Cable TV to DirecTV and continued to use Comcast internet, the folks got the wires crossed and Comcast came and disconnected my internet. Now I have to either go to the 33rd floor or the first floor common area to get internet.

I hope Monday to get the telephone company to give me ADSL.

Oh why did I change? Well, not that I would ever do it, but with a 2.4 meter antenna I can receive the DirecTV CONUS beams, not spot beams in Central Mexico.

And if I were to do so, I would not be stacking as no one is watching up here when I'm in Mexico

(This post was edited by johanson on Sep 9, 2012, 6:47 PM)

stevebrtx

Sep 10, 2012, 6:39 AM

Post #11 of 12 (9826 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Questions about Telmex

Hope you have better luck and better service than we do here at the lake, I went through 7 weeks of hell with Telmex. The phone quit but DSL continued s l o w l y and the weather station uploads every 10 min so it was a struggle. Then after about 3 weeks of that the DSL flat shut off but the phone came back, turned out to be connected to someone else's line - then even that quit so I didn't even have dialup. In desperation I went to Telecable which gives me in excess of 8mb for $402 which is about what the Telmex 5mb plan cost but never gave more than 1.7mb Eventually they got the phone line back up, but now instead of $599 a month in revenue from me they only get $191 and the only reason they get that is I rent so I can't let the phone line go or I'd have gone to Telecable phone as well. Telmex here at the lake is notorious for being NOtelmex.

fordmexico

Sep 10, 2012, 8:56 AM

Post #12 of 12 (9812 views)

Shortcut

Unless your colonia has Cablevision or the newer Totalplay your choices for broadband in the D. F. are pretty limited. My location only has Telmex. I have the basic phone/internet package which this AM gave me 1.5 Mbps down - Up is another story. Uploading speeds are equivalent to the dialup speed I had in the USA in the mid 1990's. The sad part is I have a Telmex fiber optic cable running in front of my home that is apparently just sitting there. When I asked a Telmex repair crew about it, they confirmed it was fiber but didn't know when it would be put into use. My guess Carlos Slim is awaiting approval to offer video services so he can offer packages similar to ATT's Uverse in the USA and then will begin using his installed fiber.

There is an option called "Blue to Go". They offer Internet packages (Banda Ancha) from 3 Mb ($99 to $149 Mxn per month) to 20 Mb ($499 to $899 Mxn per month). Blue to Go would satisfy your speed requirements but you may run into cap issues.

Google "Blue to Go Mexico) or use this link.

http://www.bluetogo.com.mx/microsite/main.html

Another possible option might be Totalplay. They are expanding coverage in the D.F metropolitan area monthly. Presently (close to Iztapalapa), they cover areas in Del Valle and Coyoacan. They use fiber optic lines with speeds up to 100 Mbps. They have various package options that include Internet, phone and television. Prices vary.

Here is a link for them

http://www.totalplay.com.mx/web/

(This post was edited by Rolly on Sep 10, 2012, 10:11 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4